Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
As somebody who enjoyed The Hive in DX: Human Revolution having unique descriptions and inventory icons I got way too much of a kick out of a bar in Read Only Memories having like 40+ drinks you can order, with each one having a full recipe and unique sprite. Even if some of the jokes ones are a little :rolleyes:, like one named after an Adventure Time staff member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much every game that lets your character smoke cigarettes is good: Vanquish, Metal Gear Solid, The Saboteur, Deadly Premonition...

Counterpoint: Cart Life.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Pretty much every game that lets your character smoke cigarettes is good: Vanquish, Metal Gear Solid, The Saboteur, Deadly Premonition...
Grim Fandango, and I especially like the reasoning they gave in the manual. "Everybody who smokes in this game is dead. Think about it."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This begs the question: is MGS3 good or bad?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lizard Wizard posted:

This begs the question: is MGS3 good or bad?

Cigars are bigger and better cigarettes* so MGS3 stands to be a bigger and better game than the cigarette only MGS games. :colbert:

In general though, MGS3 is probably the best game in the series.

*note I have no clue about anything relating to cigars and cigarettes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Cigars are bigger and better cigarettes* so MGS3 stands to be a bigger and better game than the cigarette only MGS games. :colbert:

In general though, MGS3 is probably the best game in the series.

*note I have no clue about anything relating to cigars and cigarettes.

Wait, MGS3 has cigars?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, MGS3 has cigars?

Yes. Functionally, they're the same as cigarettes (you can use them to do various things in game, such as light up a dark cave somewhat or ward off bees), but Naked Snake makes it a point that he's not smoking a cigarette when either Sigint or Para Medic (or both) try to chastise him over smoking a cigarette on his mission, so he should be in the clear for smoking because all of those health hazards were attributed to cigarettes and not cigars.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh, okay. I was talking about the gas cigarettes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
You also use the cigar to burn off leeches that latch onto you when you swim in the swamp.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sleeveless posted:

You also use the cigar to burn off leeches that latch onto you when you swim in the swamp.

And as a source of light in the dark and it's smoke can ward off bees.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Using the sonar in a cave makes bats leave you alone because they assume you are a giant bat pal using echolocation :3:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You can wear the croc cap indoors and peek around a corner and guards get freaked out by a sudden crocodile head. I think. That's what I heard, I've never actually tried it.

If you bring in bee hives into the fight with The Pain, his bees will swarm into the hives and transform them into hives of pain hornets, which always restore max stamina and never rot.

You can also feed Raikov rotten food and force him to run into the bathroom. Knock on the door enough and he'll get annoyed and sarcastically ask if you want to join him. Keep knocking and he'll open the door. Related, if you catch him using the toilet and are watching him in the bathroom with stealth camo, he'll comment that he feels like someone's watching him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The soldiers watching you fight Ocelot will laugh if you wear the Croc Cap during the battle. The reason you get the snow camo and facepaint so early in the game despite not needing them until the end is because The Pain's bees treat you like a beekeeper if you wear them.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

EmmyOk posted:

Using the sonar in a cave makes bats leave you alone because they assume you are a giant bat pal using echolocation :3:

Every time I think I know all of MGS3's easter eggs, I discover a new one. Every. Goddamn. Time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EmmyOk posted:

The soldiers watching you fight Ocelot will laugh if you wear the Croc Cap during the battle. The reason you get the snow camo and facepaint so early in the game despite not needing them until the end is because The Pain's bees treat you like a beekeeper if you wear them.

The beekeeper thing's new to me :suspense:. Every time you think you know every little gameplay trick that's in a MGS game, there's a whole extra layer to unravel.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The beekeeper thing's new to me :suspense:. Every time you think you know every little gameplay trick that's in a MGS game, there's a whole extra layer to unravel.

I have not gotten to test it myself but from the MGS Wiki

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I've tried it. It's legit, but it's easier to tell with random beehives you can shoot down since those aren't being commanded by a man trying to kill you.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

RBA Starblade posted:

Agnus Dei (Adagio for Strings) counts as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPfY1D3O7C8

This was, and always will be, a very memorable and iconic scene to me. I can now no longer separate the song from the video game, and honestly I'm okay with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK9uPRlZDq0

Link for your convenience. 15 years ago this was legit as gently caress.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

This was, and always will be, a very memorable and iconic scene to me. I can now no longer separate the song from the video game, and honestly I'm okay with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK9uPRlZDq0

Link for your convenience. 15 years ago this was legit as gently caress.

Return to Kharak is by far one of the most emotional sequences in any videogame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQYds69ZLTw

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Video games don't really affect my emotions but Homeworld definitely got me all teary eyed whenever Adagio or Springs played. gently caress Aeris dying, the burning of Kharak was the saddest moment in video games.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
The amount of personality they gave even the lowliest grunts in Costume Quest is fantastic. Every grunt has a unique line when they appear at a house, and one mini-boss is literally a middle management Orc. Complete with tie, clipboard, and megaphone to yell at his minions.

Also the Lady Liberty costume has Anthem, the best ability. You thrust your Torch into the air and shine red, white, and blue as a giant American flag appears in the back. Then an eagle cries and flies past, and Lincoln's face fades in and out. During all of this fireworks go off nonstop. :911:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV a lot lately, and my favourite little thing is if you jump at a railing just right, your knees get caught in your jump animation and you slide down the railing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Action Tortoise posted:

the only game more american than vanquish is metal wolf chaos.

the Japanese are truly the only people who understand us.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

QuietLion posted:

The amount of personality they gave even the lowliest grunts in Costume Quest is fantastic. Every grunt has a unique line when they appear at a house, and one mini-boss is literally a middle management Orc. Complete with tie, clipboard, and megaphone to yell at his minions.

Also the Lady Liberty costume has Anthem, the best ability. You thrust your Torch into the air and shine red, white, and blue as a giant American flag appears in the back. Then an eagle cries and flies past, and Lincoln's face fades in and out. During all of this fireworks go off nonstop. :911:

Have you finished the game yet? There are better costumes coming! I think the best for me was the fact that even the gimmick costume that you mainly use to complete a side-quest can be used in combat (and it's really bizarre).

It's really too bad that this game is so short, even with the DLC. Costume Quest 2 is fun, but it kind of drags in comparison. :sigh:

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Kimmalah posted:

Have you finished the game yet? There are better costumes coming! I think the best for me was the fact that even the gimmick costume that you mainly use to complete a side-quest can be used in combat (and it's really bizarre).

It's really too bad that this game is so short, even with the DLC. Costume Quest 2 is fun, but it kind of drags in comparison. :sigh:
I haven't finished it quite yet, I just got to the Mall. Another little thing I love is that your starting costume, the Robot, has an overworld ability where you zoom around on skates. Having the first costume give you x2 movement speed was a really, really good idea.

A friend who has seen the whole game when her kid played through it (I play child games and I have no shame) said that it's 3 areas, which does seem a bit short with how quickly I went through the first area. I'm hoping that the DLC is amazing enough to make up for it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Yeah, CQ is pretty short. But it's not a super bad thing because the combat is pretty shallow and super repetitive. I really wish they had just completely overhauled the combat for the sequel.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Inco posted:

The answer is: Tim Follin is a goddamn wizard.

This post led me down a very deep rabbit hole of Tim Follin. Good Times.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

QuietLion posted:

I haven't finished it quite yet, I just got to the Mall. Another little thing I love is that your starting costume, the Robot, has an overworld ability where you zoom around on skates. Having the first costume give you x2 movement speed was a really, really good idea.

A friend who has seen the whole game when her kid played through it (I play child games and I have no shame) said that it's 3 areas, which does seem a bit short with how quickly I went through the first area. I'm hoping that the DLC is amazing enough to make up for it.

In the sequel all costumes have that zoom ability, I guess because people got tired of being forced to keep one costume on to move fast.

The DLC is fun, but it's not really huge either. I think it's maybe 2-3 little areas? Depending on how you divide them up. I can finish pretty much everything in a few hours, but of course I know where the secrets and stuff are now.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

What game is this from?

chernobyl kinsman has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Nov 7, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

End Of Worlds posted:

What game is this from?

Costume Quest

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Costume Quest

It's from Costume Quest 2 actually. The Candy Corn costume does that every time it takes a turn and of course there's an achievement that requires you to use that costume for the entirety of the game. The only upside is that it's basically designed as a damage magnet.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Kimmalah posted:

It's from Costume Quest 2 actually. The Candy Corn costume does that every time it takes a turn and of course there's an achievement that requires you to use that costume for the entirety of the game. The only upside is that it's basically designed as a damage magnet.

The lines are fantastic, though.

"Candy Corn does what it can."
"Candy Corn doesn't want the responsibility."
"Candy Corn fears no man."
"Candy Corn is going for the long con."
"Check out Candy Corn!"
"Don't expect much from Candy Corn."
"Here is a cool shot of Candy Corn."
"If Candy Corn had arms this fight would be SO over."
"It's time to look at Candy Corn."
"Yep. It's Candy Corn."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh Leonardo:allears:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Yo-kai Watch. In the beginning of the game there are cross walks and if you run across them when they're red your little helper dude gets mad and tells you to be careful and if you keep it up something bad will happen to you one day. True to his word, you keep running across the road and a really strong fuckoff monster pops out of nowhere and yells at you then murders your monsters.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Return to Kharak is by far one of the most emotional sequences in any videogame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQYds69ZLTw

Watching these homeworld videos again reminded me of how much detail there was to loving everything in that game. It didn't matter that you were always going to be too zoomed out in normal gameplay to actually see any docking or undocking, they were still going to animate every last bit of the procedure.

I might need to dust off my old copies real quick.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is that homeworld remaster any good.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is that homeworld remaster any good.

Its decent- yeah. Wait for a sale though.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Alhazred posted:

Oh Leonardo:allears:

This is why AC2 and Brotherhood are still the top AC games. AC2 brought great gameplay and a really likeable protagonist- then Brotherhood just made things even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tribbledirigible posted:

This is why AC2 and Brotherhood are still the top AC games. AC2 brought great gameplay and a really likeable protagonist- then Brotherhood just made things even better.

Give AC:Rogue a look if you can, because its fantastic. First AC protagonist I've actually liked since Ezio.