Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

I'm convinced this was produced by Bethsofts B-team and they're gonna wheel out the next Elder Scrolls sooner than later.

Bethesda is the B-team. Obsidian did a much better job with New Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Okay so, ending spoilers.

I'm loving dumbfounded at how little effort went into it. It feels like less than the Fallout 3 ending. I'm just... :psyduck:

I fail to see the problem

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Okay so, ending spoilers.

So the streamer sided with the minutemen; this ending involved him nuking the institute (and Boston). Once you do that, it goes into a cutscene narrated by your dude talking about how sad he is about how the world has changed, but he's optimistic about the future. There are some cuts between current and past Boston, and it ends with a 'war, war never changes'. It then fades back to the game post explosion and assumedly lets you gently caress around. The monologue is about forty-five seconds to a minute long. It doesn't mention anything you did or any of the people you interacted with.

I'm loving dumbfounded at how little effort went into it. It feels like less than the Fallout 3 ending. I'm just... :psyduck:

The other option is killing your son and you get a speech that's almost exactly the same except like one line changes. Bethesda FTW. Game of the eternity. I can't stop jacking off with my hands and legs

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Amazing Member posted:

I'm cool with it, to me it shows they put their focus into content.

The slideshow endings, while cool, only really make sense for a definite ending not for a world you're going to coninute to interact with (even the New Vegas DLC ones work, since you don't really interact with most of the characters involved after finishing the DLC story.)

We all knew the main story was going to be crap.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015
Ending sounds like a joke, but as others have opined, neither ending nor main questline have ever been worth a poo poo in a Bethesda game (since Oblivion).

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

... like the ending of Morrowind was any better.

"Congrats, you killed Dagoth Ur, your winner! Here, have a useless ring, now go away!"

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Thick, choking, acrid Goonery itt

dd209
Sep 21, 2015
Tiber Septim gives you a high five after Morrowind's main quest. That's worth something. Not to mention Morrowind's MQ could actually be finished after murdering essentials.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
A bunch of cool mods are already up on the Nexus:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hommando posted:

Bethesda is the B-team. Obsidian did a much better job with New Vegas.

the C-team, really, if you consider CD Projekt RED

dd209
Sep 21, 2015
Have Bethesda confirmed when the GECK/Construction Kit for Fallout 4 is coming? It was several months late for Skyrim, if memory serves.

edit: It says this on the Nexus:

"Even though Bethesda announced that Fallout 4 mods will only be supported officially sometime next year, it’s possible that certain aspects of the engine will be open to modification at launch. For instance, texture replacers for Skyrim were possible day-one. We’re hoping that this will be the case for Fallout 4 as well but haven’t been able to confirm this with Bethesda as of yet. We’ll just have to wait and see."

dd209 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 8, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ElectricWizard posted:

A bunch of cool mods are already up on the Nexus:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/

I love how it's almost entirely poo poo just to make fun of Todd Howard.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bholder posted:

... like the ending of Morrowind was any better.

"Congrats, you killed Dagoth Ur, your winner! Here, have a useless ring, now go away!"

The ending of Morrowind was actually great because if you were super into the lore of the series, you realize that you just gone and hosed the land of Morrowind over. Morrowind mostly being uninhabitable in Skyrim is a direct result of the player's actions in Morrowind.

It seems like Bethesda took the criticism for Fallout 3's really stupid ending to heart so instead, they just made a total non-ending instead. Which isn't really better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Morrowind was awesome because you could beat the game within 5 minutes if you really knew what you were doing. It didn't require unlocking areas or sitting through long cutscenes and text dumps before you got to kinda sorta but not really understanding what was at stake. Morrowind was already in trouble, the bad guy was there and whether you knew him or not you could go to where he lives and kill him. All of this can be done the second you get off that boat.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I liked the fake ending someone was spreading around where you either you kill your son or he kills you and you play as him.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Someone linked a character builder that was really stripped down and basic, can someone link that again? It's better than the one I have bookmarked that went out of its way to look more like the in-game interface but doesn't fit on the screen well.

Edit: vvv Sweet thanks!

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 8, 2015

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s=1&p=1&e=1&c=1&i=1&a=1&l=1

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Holy loving poo poo. I want to make this:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think I am going to spend the first 7 or 8 levels just taking SPECIAL points and not even take perks until I have everything where I want it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

GhostDog posted:

Betheda games need to played ASAP, you can play the patched version anytime, but the Best Bugs Edition is a time limited release.

Theres youtube for that. ::insert rotating head doctor gif::

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
My PC barely hits minimum hardware requirements even though it runs Crysis 2 on very high. That's nuts. It runs most PS4 games at very high (such as Battlefield 4, Reaper of Souls, Dark Souls 2 Scholar, Metro Last Light, MGSV), should I still get the steam version? I was thinking because FO4 has a console release, my PC should still run it with better graphics and a locked 30FPS.
It's a i2500k at 4.2GHZ, 8GB of memory and an AMD 6970.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I'm thinking of using this for my John Cena Build. http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s=8&p=1&e=6&c=6&i=1&a=4&l=2. With bobble heads I will be the ultimate pain train party boy who you can't see.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah I can't wait until we get all the radio mods because the "main" radio station in the game sucks and the announcer is really out of place. Did they just grab a random guy off the development team and sit him in front of a mic to improv and stammer a bunch of lame jokes?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My PC barely hits minimum hardware requirements even though it runs Crysis 2 on very high. That's nuts. It runs most PS4 games at very high (such as Battlefield 4, Reaper of Souls, Dark Souls 2 Scholar, Metro Last Light, MGSV), should I still get the steam version? I was thinking because FO4 has a console release, my PC should still run it with better graphics and a locked 30FPS.

Speaking of hardware requirements, is there a good site to plot in your hardware and see if it's up to snuff? It's been too long since I cared about graphic cards and "GTX 550 Ti 2GB or equivalent" on the steam page says nothing to me. For the record I have an i5 3570K and a GeForce GTX 670 v:shobon:v

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of hardware requirements, is there a good site to plot in your hardware and see if it's up to snuff? It's been too long since I cared about graphic cards and "GTX 550 Ti 2GB or equivalent" on the steam page says nothing to me. For the record I have an i5 3570K and a GeForce GTX 670 v:shobon:v

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You could have bid on something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-7950-Dual-X-/262122545466 instead of bemoaning the fate of your 5 year old GPU.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

New Leaf posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I want to make this:

oh hell yes

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Get it on PC. The console CPUs are major bottlenecks; a i5 2500K stock runs circles around the things. Your GPU is barely behind the 7870ish in the PS4, and since your CPU is tossing frame data at the GPU more quickly it has more time to render. I would be concerned if this were a DX12 release, but it isn't. Just tinker with settings as needed. You should be fine. The situation is, you'll have an identical-to-console experience at worst. That, and you have the option to even drop settings to get better framerates if you just don't care. Personally, I will probably be dropping settings. My system is basically no better (7850) but I could stand for better framerates.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cheers. Looks like I meet the minimum requirements, but I guess I should wait until after the game comes out to see if that actually means "everything on minimum" or just "lower settings" like it does for some games.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Computer posted:

Cheers. Looks like I meet the minimum requirements, but I guess I should wait until after the game comes out to see if that actually means "everything on minimum" or just "lower settings" like it does for some games.

Bethesda games are usually pretty good with system requirements so it probably means "some stuff on med, some on low".

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

sauer kraut posted:

You could have bid on something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sapphire-7950-Dual-X-/262122545466 instead of bemoaning the fate of your 5 year old GPU.

I didn't even consider the steam version until five minutes before I made that post, after seeing a youtube video of the PS4 version having ridiculous frame drops in an empty room. I can walk five minutes to the computer shop and pick up a modern GPU if the 6970 can't cut the mustard on medium, but I'm hoping I won't have to.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 8, 2015

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
There's literally nothing in the graphics that a first gen i7 paired with a couple of decent keplers or a maxwell couldn't handle. Unless they have completely thrown any optimizations out the window. In which case, it will be poo poo for everyone, including those with the latest and greatest.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I'm in the same boat. I'm running an AMD system so it's a little wonky and for some reason has higher reqs than the Intel system, but I'm close enough to recommended that I think they're just exaggerating.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
This is interesting. Apparently Bethesda have changed their file formats: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3rzi6j/psa_all_the_file_formats_have_been_changed_for/

This seems like it could be a big deal. We have Bethesda creating their own content delivery platform, combined with new proprietary formats that current modding tools can't work with. We also have Pete Hines being less than forthcoming about whether or not people will still be able to upload mods to the Nexus.

I don't know anything about programming, so I'm curious: Could there be a good reason to change the format other than to lock down modding to Bethesda.net only?

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 8, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
"Guys I could run Skyrim just fine on Ultra with HD textures and a ton of ENB FX running, at 60 FPS, will I be able to run this game?"

The game is built on the Skyrim engine, it's Skyrim. There may be new Direct X effects or something, I don't know, but if you can run Skyrim on Ultra with fancy effects then you're fine.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

King Vidiot posted:

"Guys I could run Skyrim just fine on Ultra with HD textures and a ton of ENB FX running, at 60 FPS, will I be able to run this game?"

The game is built on the Skyrim engine, it's Skyrim. There may be new Direct X effects or something, I don't know, but if you can run Skyrim on Ultra with fancy effects then you're fine.

Basically this. Don't fall for Bethesda's (or any AAA publisher's for that matter) requirements bullshit. Worst case scenario - wait a day or two for a website like guru3d to do a GPU performance roundup and see where you are on the ladder. Only then upgrade your system.

Edit: I have a 7 year old first generation i7 system with a 3-way SLI GTX 670 config as back up to my main PC that I often run games on to see how it still peforms. It runs nearly maxed out GTA 5 at 60fps without breaking a sweat, only stuttering when there are a lot of new textures to load, obviously due to the GPU's memory limitations. So, in short, take a breath and see what happens.

mackintosh fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 8, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Praetorian Mage posted:

I don't know anything about programming, so I'm curious: Could there be a good reason to change the format other than to lock down modding to Bethesda.net only?

Absolutely, 3D modeling has changed infinitely much since morrowind where they started using those formats and has changed quite a lot since they last released a game. Just making a new format (or more likely: modifying an existing format) that does what they want with that stuff makes a ton more sense at some point than having to do all the work to shoehorn a bunch of new features into the old formats.

They are probably using a format that whatever tools they use now can spit out instead of having to go through 4 conversion steps to get the thing in the game to fit in some heavily modified format with a bunch of features bolted on.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Praetorian Mage posted:

It could simply be underlying changes to the engine architecture. FO4 is adding quite a few new gameplay features through the crafting system alone.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Praetorian Mage posted:

Yes. Without going into details, yes. The simple argument is that the content structure is so radically different that using the existing file formats just doesn't make sense. If they started from the ground up with a new system (which is likely in some areas of development for a new generation of hardware), then it is a good idea to not keep with the old format, even if the end result turns out to be very similar. Otherwise, mind that file extensions don't mean much of anything on their own. You can embed all sorts of things to jpegs, for example. Change the file extension to .zip or whatever, and depending on what was done with the file, you suddenly have an archive file that is packed with videos. Needless to say it would be suspiciously large filesize for a jpeg, but I digress.

Point is, they're working on a new generation of hardware. A lot of things probably changed. Simply keeping the old file formats out of tradition doesn't make sense if it could cause confusion during development. Besides, encryption for trying to lock down stuff like this is a losing game. They can't change the encryption after the fact, and once the community figures out the encryption the game is over. The only 'encryption' we're likely to see is on the BA2 files (Bethesda Archive 2nd generation) and that's just a matter of encryption methods often resembling compression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

dd209 posted:

Ending sounds like a joke, but as others have opined, neither ending nor main questline have ever been worth a poo poo in a Bethesda game (since Oblivion).

Uh, yeah. For the Elder Scrolls.

You know, those games with a ton of other guilds in them, with their own unique questlines/paths. Those guilds usually have at least 1-2 "good" ish questlines to go faff around on that end up being more fun then the main quest.

Or those games that feature a strong element of exploration. They usually have 5-6 towns, and each has a bunch of quests attached to them. You also have the daedric quests, which add in 7-8 very interesting quests. Oh, and outside of Oblivion, each dungeon has a chance to hold rare/special loot, like named items with specific stats. These make exploration far more exciting, as you never know what you'll find in that new area. Even without those unique weapons, there are enough different types of weapons/weapon trees that you'll constantly be finding new stuff in each location you visit, from different types of same type weapon ( Steel Axe, Steel Sword, Steel Hammer ), to new books, etc etc.

Fallout 3 had TWO towns! It had a grand total of 17 sidequests, which is hilarious when you realize Skyrim alone had something like 20-30 just basic sidequests, not even counting guilds/daedric/world quests. It had less explorable environments then Oblivion, with only 4 different dungeon model types to choose from, and it had almost no real benefit to exploration. You start with the best Pistol in the game, are given the best Small Arms gun in the game within the first hour, and almost every weapon category only has 3-4 different weapons in it. Exploring only exists to find the Bobbleheads ( basically a collectible ), and to pick up yet another 30 versions of the gun you use, so you can keep it at 100% Repair.

Does Fallout 4 have guilds/factions now? Does it have more then two towns? Does it have more then 17 sidequests? Because Fallout 3 was designed so that the main quest was all that mattered, and after that was done, you basically just go collect the remaining Bobbleheads. If Fallout 4 is the same and we already know the ending, then I hope the Settlement stuff is really well done, because it and Bobblehead collecting is probably going to be the only game left.

• Locked thread