Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's really amazing.

He even has the balls to make fun of other nerds such as in this article Gamergate was nicely willing to forget when he started courting them

The thing about right-wing hate is that they'll forget that you're enemy X as long as you're with them to destroy enemy Y. But they'll go to the "destroy X" meeting the next day and call for the blood of people like you.

Gamergate is exactly a right-wing hate movement, and the ideological differences between them and neonazis or radical christian identity movement people is essentially nil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

So what's with all this Protestant work ethic poo poo? Was this a legitimate shift in society, or did rich people just decide to excoriate Poors into working themselves to death to produce more friedman units for the masters?

This post is going to simplify things a bunch, but: there was a genuine shift in society, which was a result of rich people excoriating Poors, which in turn was a result of changing bases of competition between rich people.

In precapitalist societies, the major units of production, like the Greek slaveholding household or the medieval manor or village, were largely self-sufficient. If you were lucky enough to be live in a relatively free village, you and your neighbors would work just enough to feed yourselves, and maybe a tiny bit extra for risk-pooling and buying some things from the village yonder; and if you had someone to boss you around, you'd work a little bit more to outfit him and his family as well. There wasn't a lot of reason to work more than this because (1) some boss or boss-wannabe would probably just steal it anyway and (2) work sucks and as long as you can eat you can get most of what you want from social activities (gossip, religion, the usual) around the village. If your boss is really greedy he might try to make you more productive, but most are only a normal amount of greedy and, like you, would rather avoid extra work if they can avoid it, even if it would get them extra baubles. The competitive pressures on them generally have less to do with making their minions more productive and more to making sure their children get into the right marriages, maintaining their credible reputation for violence (the state, as we know it, doesn't really exist "on the ground" in most rural areas), and showing off how much time they have to not be productive by being cultured. And if they do want to become richer, it's both easier and more prestigious to steal it from some other aristo, or if there's a little more peace to seek out a nice sinecure, than to improve their own lands.

Compare this to a capitalist firm. The firm isn't self-sufficient - it doesn't physically produce what it and its employees need to survive; rather, it produces things that others want to buy, the revenues from which it uses to purchase those first things. If a medieval manor is only half as productive as its neighbor, then the lord of the poor manor gets fewer luxury items, but it otherwise fine (this is weakened a bit when we consider the possibility of conquest and purchasing mercenaries, but that went through a wider variety of filters and again this is a simplification.) If your firm is only half as productive as the next one in your field, then there's a problem: investors have no reason to back you rather than your competitor, and if that competitor can also slash prices below yours, so you're dead. (That's why they're called competitors, after all, even if you may all cooperate in lobbying governments and so on.) Compared to pre-capitalist forms of exploitation, capitalists have greater reason to pursue both what Marx called relative surplus value (technological improvements) and absolute surplus-value (sweating workers.)

Weber's Protestant Ethic is about how you get from Point A to Point B: both situations are equilibria, so why would everyone go from one to the other? He claims that certain Protestant sects, for reasons that were internal to theology rather than economic strategies or whatever, started promoting the idea that you should work really hard and not spend money and never be happy, basically. But this was actually very amenable to capital accumulation, and so worldly success came to be associated with virtue, and so pursuing this kind of worldly success came to have more prestige - even though all the happiness-hating theologians who came up with the idea would have hated the idea of someone pursuing economic success for its own sake. So this aided the growth of capitalism, and the concept came to be secularized as the "Spirit of Capitalism." But since once you actually get to Point B it's an equilibrium even without any such Spirit, that attitude can fade away and just leave people economically competing because they have to. (In this its similar to traditional Marxist accounts in where things ultimately end up, though this latter's historical accounts tend to emphasize the creation of large amounts of landless laborers who can't just fall back on their own self-sufficient forms of production.)

Weber's exact historical account may or may not hold up, but the shift between the two worlds did happen, and within Europe there were correlations (causation would be harder to prove) between Protestantism and the growing capitalist or proto-capitalist economy: the Reformation itself appealed most to burghers and craftsmen and least to the traditional agricultural economy, and was successful in northern rather than southern Europe. But there wouldn't be too much change in religious geography since then (beyond of course the colonial spread of Christianity) and it would take a long time for both non-cottage industries and work-time discipline to become widespread even in Protestant countries. ("Took a long time to become widespread" is a giant handwave of a lot of really interesting things, like how many crucial organizational innovations came out of colonial slavery, or why Weber correctly thought double-entry bookkeeping was so important, but that's a story for another day, maybe.)

"Throne and altar" refers to a particular kind of early 19th century conservatism, associated with writers like de Maistre and Bonald, that wanted to preserve the old order - both in the above sense and in the literal sense of preserving old monarchies from revolution - and was very deeply Catholic. And from the French Revolution to the end of WWII, Catholic thinkers promote a kind of skepticism of capitalism from the right; things like distributism and corporatism and so on are largely attempts to articulate how you can have the "old" system in an industrial society.

Oligopsony has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Nov 6, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Former SA Mod Derek Smart enlists Vox Day to the Star Citizen cause, everyone who actually knows who Vox Day is tells Smart to go gently caress himself

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jason Sextro posted:

Bear in mind this was 15 years ago, so my memory is a little bit fuzzy, but I asked my sister and she remembers him vaguely too. When I get a chance to go back to my parents's house I'm going to see if I can find an old yearbook.

He didn't always look like a hilarious Anton LaVey, though I do remember cowboy hats and leather dusters. He was always a creepy weirdo who didn't have much luck with women, so his Pokemon evolution to current day isn't that surprising if you think of it as overcompensation for being a mediocre person with no actual talent for anything. I wish I could remember funnier stories but I didn't really hang out with them and not many people I knew did, because most people thought he was creepy from what I remember.

Dredge up some old yearbooks and the internet will love you forever. Middle-school (don't know the Canadian equivalent--like kids 12-14 or so) yearbooks would be even better.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ok digging up highschool yearbooks on these weirdos is kind of creepy/doxxy/helldumpy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Freudian posted:

Ok digging up highschool yearbooks on these weirdos is kind of creepy/doxxy/helldumpy.

How could it humiliate him any more than his adult life?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jack Gladney posted:

Dredge up some old yearbooks and the internet will love you forever. Middle-school (don't know the Canadian equivalent--like kids 12-14 or so) yearbooks would be even better.

It's just middle school in Canada

We aren't aliens

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's still weird and not good precedent, I feel.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Former SA Mod Derek Smart enlists Vox Day to the Star Citizen cause, everyone who actually knows who Vox Day is tells Smart to go gently caress himself

I am so glad I have never bothered to investigate this particular bit of internet drama.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

How could it humiliate him any more than his adult life?

Then it's just pointless as well as poor form. (And who of us weren't embarrassing in middle school? *tugs collar*)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I am so glad I have never bothered to investigate this particular bit of internet drama.
You're missing out.

Though you would have had to have been there in the battlecruiser flamewar days on usenet and the Derek Smart's Desktop Commander age to really appreciate it, so no biggie.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Cardboard Box A posted:

You're missing out.

Though you would have had to have been there in the battlecruiser flamewar days on usenet and the Derek Smart's Desktop Commander age to really appreciate it, so no biggie.

Yeah if you told 90s DarklyDreaming that Derek Smart and Chris Roberts would have a feud over each others' half finished pipe dreams I woulda said "We all win that fight :allears:"

Then again 90's me was kinda dumb :negative:

DarklyDreaming has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Nov 7, 2015

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

We aren't aliens

You aren't extraterrestrials

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what's the lowdown on Sargon of Akkad (the YouTube personality, not the historical figure)? I know he's associated with these jokers, particularly Aurini, but you folks got anything specific on his opinions et cetera? I'd look myself, but it's all hours-long videos and gently caress that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

So what's the lowdown on Sargon of Akkad (the YouTube personality, not the historical figure)? I know he's associated with these jokers, particularly Aurini, but you folks got anything specific on his opinions et cetera? I'd look myself, but it's all hours-long videos and gently caress that.

All I know is that whenever I watch anything with Anita Sarkeesian in it, all my youtube recommended videos for a week afterward are him and have all-caps "FEMINISM EXPOSED"-themed titles. That's more than enough to tell me that I don't want to know any more. He's got that self-important education-by-wikipedia name theme down, though.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

All I know is that whenever I watch anything with Anita Sarkeesian in it, all my youtube recommended videos for a week afterward are him and have all-caps "FEMINISM EXPOSED"-themed titles. That's more than enough to tell me that I don't want to know any more. He's got that self-important education-by-wikipedia name theme down, though.

And of course his namesake was a brutal dictator who faced numerous rebellions, one of which besieged his capital, because his subjects hated him so much.

In other news, since I find the rise of historically informed performance of early orchestral music interesting, I was surfing for sites pertaining to the subject, and found one that takes it from "well let's try to play it the way it would have been played back then, and see how it differs from the modern symphony" to "classical music has degenerated from the mythic golden age of Handel because of ~political correctness~ and ~diversity~".

http://www.earlymusicworld.com/opera_arrogance.html
http://www.earlymusicworld.com/id44.html

quote:

Opera is sick. Very sick. Once handsome and noble, its formerly elegant features have over recent years become ever more contorted and distorted beneath a toxic, suppurating excrescence commonly known as Regietheater. That some dispute the validity of the use of the word is in the context neither here nor there; it is universally recognised among those with involvement in opera as the term used for the bastardised so-called productions of the egomaniacs that currently rule the opera houses of Europe and beyond. Let me first make clear that it is not my intention here to recite, Leporello-like, a list of crimes committed against opera by the practitioners of Regietheater. It is already possible to do this in a number of places, not least several excellent articles by the American academic and critic Heather Mac Donald, most notably ‘The abduction of Opera’ (City Journal, Summer 2007, available on-line), which takes its impetus from a hideously brutal Berlin Komische Oper production of Die Entführung aus dem Serail, but which serves generally as being representative of Mac Donald’s trenchant criticism of the genre. Neither will it be my purpose to name the major activists; such is the vanity and solipsistic view of life of most practitioners of Regietheater that they would probably take perverse pleasure in being identified as the destroyers of a once elevated and dignified art form. Indeed, I sense I can already hear from some quarters the foaming-mouthed howls of derision that greet the words ‘elevated’ and dignified’.
While there appears to be no consensus of opinion accounting for the alarming rise of Regietheater, most commentators agree that it has its poisonous roots in the strong left-wing reaction to Nazism that arose after World War II, and was furthered by the violent student movement of the 1960s, ‘a manifestation of the triumph of adolescent culture’, as Mac Donald puts it. It is therefore no surprise to find that in the late 1960s one of the leading protagonists of Regietheater was responsible for leading a gang of student provocateurs in vulgar protests against opera productions they considered too traditional. Like most revolutions, this one had nothing valid to put in the place of what it had overthrown, only the wish for anarchy and the desire to replace beauty with nihilism and ugly, gross modernism. ‘To hell with beauty, it’s a kitsch notion’, in the words of one senior British director who is by no means one of the worst exponents of Regietheater.

Today we are left with an all-enveloping plague of Regietrash that has seriously been resisted to an extent only in the United States, since there it is well-heeled sponsors who call the tune, not state-funded administrators...
Oh yes, the left wing reaction to Nazism so violent that Germany was ruled by conservatives like Adenauer for decades. :laugh:

quote:

We live in an age of arrogance that manifests itself in a variety of forms, some interlinked. It is arrogance born of the fallacious belief that mankind has attained a state of universal, all-pervading wisdom surpassing that of the past. We believe we know better than our forbears, no matter what the subject or the circumstances. (There are of course some disciplines where this is unquestionably true; surgery might be cited as an example). This cult of arrogance can be observed in many walks of life. In religion it has led to the casting out of beautiful liturgies that after serving well for centuries are ruled to be in some way irrelevant to the needs of modern worshipers. Instead they have had new and often banal liturgies foisted on them, meekly accepting such changes.

There are countless further examples, many driven relentlessly by the curse of ‘progressive’ intellectual liberalism, a curse that has poisoned many aspects of Western life, insidiously eroding such cherished traditions as freedom of speech in the name of spurious concepts of ‘equality’ and ‘diversity’.
:goonsay:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Woolie Wool posted:

In other news, since I find the rise of historically informed performance of early orchestral music interesting, I was surfing for sites pertaining to the subject, and found one that takes it from "well let's try to play it the way it would have been played back then, and see how it differs from the modern symphony" to "classical music has degenerated from the mythic golden age of Handel because of ~political correctness~ and ~diversity~".

And remembering for added hilarity that "classical" is itself a reactionary term, retrospectively applied to a mythical "golden age". As if Bach sounds anything like Beethoven.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/663022655075930112

He has figured it out, guys. This is what progs have turned the news into.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

And remembering for added hilarity that "classical" is itself a reactionary term, retrospectively applied to a mythical "golden age". As if Bach sounds anything like Beethoven.
Neither of which is classical. Beethoven is where romanticism takes over from classical, and Bach was MUCH earlier.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Merdifex posted:

Ah yes, because before the last couple of years the news media has been an incorruptible bastion of sober policy analysis and high-minded philosophy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

I cannot understand this emotion you Hu-Mans call Com-Passion. This is why the Ro-Man will eternally triumph over the weaker Hu-Mans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ClUHQf5kc

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Cingulate posted:

Neither of which is classical. Beethoven is where romanticism takes over from classical, and Bach was MUCH earlier.

So... if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it? :tipshat:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nessus posted:

Ah yes, because before the last couple of years the news media has been an incorruptible bastion of sober policy analysis and high-minded philosophy.

Walter Cronkite was a philosopher king, you see.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Walter Cronkite was a philosopher king, you see.
My understanding is that, at best, we had a couple of decades of above-average journalistic integrity, and more accurately, we just only had a few TV channels so there was a much greater impression of national unity in that brief period. We are presently returning to the traditional state of "chaos reigns."

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Nessus posted:

My understanding is that, at best, we had a couple of decades of above-average journalistic integrity, and more accurately, we just only had a few TV channels so there was a much greater impression of national unity in that brief period. We are presently returning to the traditional state of "chaos reigns."

Objectivism in reporting is an aberration. In the 1800s there were two newspapers in my town: The Democrat and the Herald, both created for the purpose of shamelessly shilling for the Democratic Party and the Republican Party, respectively. The Democrat even got censored because it was pro-Confederate during the Civil War. They merged in the twenties to become the Democrat-Herald. Now it's just another boring, slowly dying newspaper. Sites like World Net Daily and Think Progress are merely a return to form.

If anything, "objective" reporting has been the death of journalism. The concept sticks around because working in a dying industry has reinforced editors' fear of change and because "neutral" reporting reinforces the status quo, a great comfort to wealthy advertisers and media owners.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

Objectivism in reporting is an aberration. In the 1800s there were two newspapers in my town: The Democrat and the Herald, both created for the purpose of shamelessly shilling for the Democratic Party and the Republican Party, respectively. The Democrat even got censored because it was pro-Confederate during the Civil War. They merged in the twenties to become the Democrat-Herald. Now it's just another boring, slowly dying newspaper. Sites like World Net Daily and Think Progress are merely a return to form.

If anything, "objective" reporting has been the death of journalism. The concept sticks around because working in a dying industry has reinforced editors' fear of change and because "neutral" reporting reinforces the status quo, a great comfort to wealthy advertisers and media owners.

Well are you saying "neutral" in that bullshit "give all sides equal footing even if one of them is completely factually wrong" way that American media seems to love doing or "neutral" in a "attempt to present all the facts evenly without bias" kinda way (not that I think the latter is even really possible, but it at least seems like something we should try to do.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Well are you saying "neutral" in that bullshit "give all sides equal footing even if one of them is completely factually wrong" way that American media seems to love doing or "neutral" in a "attempt to present all the facts evenly without bias" kinda way (not that I think the latter is even really possible, but it at least seems like something we should try to do.)
While imperfect, this seems to be much more readily achieved by foreign nations with groups like the BBC. (I am sure the BBC has many biases but it does not have the same kind that American media does.)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

For someone with strong opinions on dirtty proles corrupting the noble art of opera, that dudes website is disturbingly plebian.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
uh

someone has written nydwracu/nostalgebraist slash fiction

"3/10 needs more elf jokes"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Former SA Mod Derek Smart sticks up for his fellow game designer Vox Day. What, you don't think he should give Vox Day the time of day? Isn't that like saying Democrats have no business talking to Fox News?

D_Smart posted:

OK now you're being silly. I have NO problems with VD. We all have opinions about things. Most may not be popular. But how we express them is key. I find keeping an open mind means that, regardless of popular opinion, one can remain objective in any discourse.

Anyway, go register

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2015/11/brainstorm-with-derek-smart.html

D_Smart posted:

That's like saying Democrats have no business talking to Fox News. It's all relative.

Also...https://twitter.com/voxday/status/662995332029161472

Someone said it best I thought; and is precisely the same campaign the people who don't like me, wage incessantly.

"this whole "disavow this person I don't like" thing is repellent, straight out of the SJW playbook."

D_Smart posted:

Soooooooo, he wants me (who is non-White btw) on a brainstorm session to talk about my challenges and how my involvement in Star Citizen came this far, why? Pray tell. I'm curious like that.

D_Smart posted:

Yes, that's precisely what I've been trying to get at, that if the Feds get involved, it's going to get way beyond them just pissing away $94m+ and rather into where it went and whether or not it was spent for the purpose for which it was intended.

D_Smart posted:

Oh yeah, because every politician that goes on Fox News, is a loving moron. Got it.

D_Smart posted:

No I won't because it has NOTHING to do with GAMING. Vox Day (it's a pseudonym btw) is a notable game designer who has also written (1, 2) about this Star Citizen issue. And he goes way back to the roots of the industry. Big difference.

D_Smart posted:

quote:

3 and I don't like each other or agree on many things, but 3 is right. Derek, you should not fail to mention repeatedly how you are a successful black man. A successful black game developer. This piece of poo poo needs to hear it.
Well, if you guys are boycotting it, what does it matter? :(

ps: I'm really sad that you guys are looking at this from such a skewed perspective. I'm going to attend. It will be fine. And I'm NOT going to use it as a platform for anything other than to talk about my success, failures - and my Star Citizen involvement.

D_Smart posted:

^this. That's basically the gist of it.

You see, for as long as I've been around, my upbringing taught me to strive for what I want, what I deserve and what I feel is the right thing. I've never - ever - made my success or failures about race, opportunities or anything of the sort.

I was raised right. And so all I believe that hard work and perseverance go farther than accepting defeat while lamenting the road not traveled.

And that's why I make fun of everyone who takes sides in political, religious debates to the point of pure ridicule. I support women's lib, a woman's right to choose, Free Speech, same sex unions, all races etc, while still knowing that it's ok to have an opinion, even if I don't agree (e.g. even as a non-denominational Christian, I find avid Christians to be patently hilarious when defending a work of pure fiction - The Bible - while trying to get others to buy into it) with them.

I think people get polarized over the most irrational of things. Which is why I tend to troll everybody. No exceptions.

If nothing else, regardless of how people feel about VD, who knows, maybe someone like me going on the show will help bring more clarity to views [of him] that people may have simply distorted over time.

D_Smart posted:

:negative: dude, please, don't do that. It's neither funny, nor hilarious. I don't endorse neo-nazies.

D_Smart posted:

*sigh*

1) I never considered myself "Game Development Genius". Those are your words, not mine

2) My blog doesn't have any ads. I don't need traffic. It's not monetized. I just write there and anyone can go read it. It's a hobby. I pay for the site. Others pay for JPEGs of ships to a vaporware game.

3) Vox Day's site it not a "hate propaganda website"

4) I am not having a session on a "hate propaganda website". It's taking place here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1400150363015143170

5) An industry peer - who knows about Star Citizen back when Chris wanted Wing Commander (he couldn't get it from EA, so he came up with Star Citizen), asked me to come talk about it. I agreed. The End.

That is all.
I blame our modern educational system and our politically correct "don't hurt anyone's feelings" truth-is-in-the-middle wishy washy "everyone deserves to be heard" milieu.

Also a goon tweets at vox, vox blames everything on "sjw thought policing"

Assepoester has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Nov 8, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I thought that star citizen mock thread harbored Derek Smart only ironically but then they post tweets full of care about losing respect and harmful associations, what the heck

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Woolie Wool posted:

http://www.earlymusicworld.com/opera_arrogance.html
http://www.earlymusicworld.com/id44.html

Oh yes, the left wing reaction to Nazism so violent that Germany was ruled by conservatives like Adenauer for decades. :laugh:

:goonsay:

Someone needs to take away this nerd's thesaurus.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm gonna regret asking this, probably, but what/who the heck is Vox Day?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Samovar posted:

Imagine the worst opinions and attitudes a human being can have.

There, that's Vox Day.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Samovar posted:

"Vox Day" is a pseudonym for a guy named Theodore Beale. He's a conservative/reactionary and apparently pretty hacky writer, and the major driving force behind the Rabid Puppies thing that caused such a furor over the Hugo Awards. (And he proclaimed victory because every single title on his slate losing clearly vindicated his claims that the awards were skewed towards progressives rather than proving that Hugos voters don't tolerate his bullshit.) There's also the thing about how he described a black writer as "half-savage" while claiming that it's ridiculous to say that he's racist.

Anyway, the RationalWiki page on him has plenty of insights on his terrible opinions:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Theodore_Beale

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Never forget; ignoring abhorrent opinions because a person agrees with your argument is not something exclusive to the far-right.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pierson posted:

Never forget; ignoring abhorrent opinions because a person agrees with your argument is not something exclusive to the far-right.

As someone who used to pal around with eco-terrorists I can lend credence to this statement :razz:

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Derek Smart is an insane person who doxxed a 17-year-old disabled kid for cracking wise about him on Twitter. Vox Day could be a literal Neo-Nazi and Smart would still gladly accept his support in the war against Star Citizen.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I had to stop reading RobNost's blog because I was tired of his bigoted interlocutors, it was a shame, he posted good stuff sometimes, even if he did have the bad rationalist habit of being a know-it-all about things he didn't understand sometimes.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Scratch-O posted:

Derek Smart is an insane person who doxxed a 17-year-old disabled kid for cracking wise about him on Twitter. Vox Day could be a literal Neo-Nazi and Smart would still gladly accept his support in the war against Star Citizen.

man, Star Citizen is not quite on topic for this thread, but everything about it is awesome. As far as I can tell, literally everyone involved on either side is terrible and thoroughly deserve each other. The closest I managed to a writeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

divabot posted:

man, Star Citizen is not quite on topic for this thread, but everything about it is awesome. As far as I can tell, literally everyone involved on either side is terrible and thoroughly deserve each other. The closest I managed to a writeup.
Isn't it always the case that ultra complex 4x games attract the worst of the gamer population?