Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i just couldn't get into baxter and i have no clue why. his writing's good and he does decent high-concept stuff it just doesn't click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
try vacuum diagrams, I struggle with his full books but its a good anthology

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
hey

hey

hey

read more stugatsky brothers. the dead mountaineers inn is excellent

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
holy poo poo fargo

"I'm gunna stick my whole thumb up your rear end later"
"ACES!"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

holy poo poo fargo

"I'm gunna stick my whole thumb up your rear end later"
"ACES!"

I peed my pants at that delivery

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
so i finally saw the martian. good stuff. you could see ridley scott's space aesthetic in full splendour. beautiful sharp visuals, a touch of claustrophobic helmet-cam shots, and a real sense of desolation on a desolate planet.

of course matt damon loving killed it as well; hard to imagine any other actor in that role

at the end when they're lauching the ares 5 it looked like a falcon heavy which i thought was a nice touch, even though that doesn't reeeaalllllyyy have enough power for a full mars direct style mission

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

"Finished" Luna: New Moon - is my kindle book missing the closing chapters or have I just been ruthlessly Stephenson'd? :mad:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

"Finished" Luna: New Moon - is my kindle book missing the closing chapters or have I just been ruthlessly Stephenson'd? :mad:

last sentence in the hardback is "A second pair of helmet beams strike out and fix him in a pool of light, a third: Lousika and Abena have arrived, but he walks ahead of them, down the dead river bed between the orixas, down to where the rescuers are waiting."

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i rewatched one of my all time favorite scifi movies tonight and it was still really good so everybody else should also watch rare birds

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
just watched the new ep of ash vs evil dead and god i love this stupid show

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

including, iirc, literal grandfather loving

wasnt this a niven story

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ol qwerty bastard posted:

so i finally saw the martian. good stuff. you could see ridley scott's space aesthetic in full splendour. beautiful sharp visuals, a touch of claustrophobic helmet-cam shots, and a real sense of desolation on a desolate planet.

of course matt damon loving killed it as well; hard to imagine any other actor in that role

at the end when they're lauching the ares 5 it looked like a falcon heavy which i thought was a nice touch, even though that doesn't reeeaalllllyyy have enough power for a full mars direct style mission

agree, I had a pretty good time with this film

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

its weird how margaret atwood's author photos always make her look like a sweet kind-hearted old lady

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

pseudorandom name posted:

its weird how margaret atwood's author photos always make her look like a sweet kind-hearted old lady

why is that weird

atwood is the mathematical inverse of ayn rand

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

she writes the most disturbing things

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

hey

hey

hey

read more stugatsky brothers. the dead mountaineers inn is excellent

ehhh, not really my cup of tea

i read the roadside picnic during summer and it was really boring even for a soviet novel

is princess of mars entertaining?

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
you're a philistine

blindsight chat: good god, siri, you're a sperg. speaking as a potential sperg and all.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
oh and speaking of the martian i thought this was a brilliant choice of music for the "picking up the rtg" scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdEhvuNxV8

it's the nice little touches like this that really make a movie shine

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
ugh

everything I've heard about The Martian makes it sound like the screenplay was written by a gently caress YA SCIENCE! group on Facebook

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hogge Wild posted:

i read the roadside picnic during summer and it was really boring even for a soviet novel

is princess of mars entertaining?

dead mountaineers inn is also really funny

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

dead mountaineers inn is also really funny

i've heard about that one before

there's a soviet estonian movie made about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4QGecvBWsY

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah it didn't do much for me either. interesting idea, but not told in a way that really brought me in

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Internaut! posted:

ugh

everything I've heard about The Martian makes it sound like the screenplay was written by a gently caress YA SCIENCE! group on Facebook

it smacks a little of that, but matt Damon makes it more endearing than insufferable

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ol qwerty bastard posted:

oh and speaking of the martian i thought this was a brilliant choice of music for the "picking up the rtg" scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IdEhvuNxV8

it's the nice little touches like this that really make a movie shine

"I've been through Johansson's complete music collection and this is the least disco track I could find"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

interesting idea, but not told in a way that really brought me in

This is the biggest problem I have with scifi novels. Many scifi authors are ideas men, and you can't make a novel that's just based around an idea. You need interesting plot and characters for a good novel. Though you can make good short stories about just ideas eg. I have no mouth and I must scream.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
you might've just read a poo poo translation, tbh. translating russian into english is p. hard

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hogge Wild posted:

i've heard about that one before

there's a soviet estonian movie made about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4QGecvBWsY

neato

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

painted bird posted:

you might've just read a poo poo translation, tbh. translating russian into english is p. hard

yeah maybe

i didn't hate it, though, just wasn't as crazy about it as a lot of people clearly are.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
im surprised you don't see more partnerships between authors, especially in somethibg like SciFi where a good ideas guy and a good character guy would probably work really well together

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
larry niven and jerry pournell

arthur clarke and gentry lee

i could go on...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

James S.A. Corey is the pseudonym for a writing duo, unsurprisingly they're also trash.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Moist von Lipwig posted:

im surprised you don't see more partnerships between authors, especially in somethibg like SciFi where a good ideas guy and a good character guy would probably work really well together

ah much like niven and pournell writing Liberals are Bad but Space Rockets Are Good or Brian Herbert and Kevin J.Anderson present A Hot Pile of Wet poo poo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

James S.A. Corey is the pseudonym for a writing duo, unsurprisingly they're also trash.

what would you expect from James Something Awful Corey

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
there's two english translations of roadside picnic floating around, the first one from the 70's is kind of terrible (it mixes up the numbers thirteen and thirty in a few places which fucks up some of the timeline) and is the one you can find on websites and in big pirate ebook collections. the newer one that was published in 2012 is so much better that it's kind of absurd

basically if you read roadside picnic before 2012 and didn't like it, you should try it again with the new translation

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
poo poo is there even a decent sci fi TV show these days? last one I saw was that awful V reboot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

there's two english translations of roadside picnic floating around, the first one from the 70's is kind of terrible (it mixes up the numbers thirteen and thirty in a few places which fucks up some of the timeline) and is the one you can find on websites and in big pirate ebook collections. the newer one that was published in 2012 is so much better that it's kind of absurd

basically if you read roadside picnic before 2012 and didn't like it, you should try it again with the new translation

yeah, it's good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Internaut! posted:

poo poo is there even a decent sci fi TV show these days? last one I saw was that awful V reboot

person of interest
mr robot

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
why isn't there a series about the laundry files

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Heresiarch posted:

i read the 70's translation, it was obviously rough as hell, and i still really enjoyed it. i need to go get the re-translated version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

just watched the new ep of ash vs evil dead and god i love this stupid show

yeah I'm diggin it too. it's nice to have something silly to watch

• Locked thread