Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

boneration posted:

Anyone who's watched the streams a bunch: are there radiant quests (I think that's the term) like in Skyrim? Similar to how you could walk into any bar in Skyrim and the bartender would tell you "here's a note from the jarl, go to random dungeon and get widget/kill this dragon/wipe out these bandits".

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Please note that those are only the pre-war type hairstyles, and you can unlock further hairstyles in game by finding hairstyle magazines and taking them to a barber.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Looks like they did New Vegas style enemy scaling, in-land is early game and the swamps and coast line are end game.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

boneration posted:

Anyone who's watched the streams a bunch: are there radiant quests (I think that's the term) like in Skyrim? Similar to how you could walk into any bar in Skyrim and the bartender would tell you "here's a note from the jarl, go to random dungeon and get widget/kill this dragon/wipe out these bandits".

e:

I saw a loading screenshot that said there was magazines that expanded the hairstyle list as well.

That's interesting, I thought it was weird there was no mohawk/punky hairsyles aside from the pigtails, maybe in the beginning they want you to still look like a family (wo)man and once you get out of the Vault you can go to some guy in a back alley and let him shave your head.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Please note that those are only the pre-war type hairstyles, and you can unlock further hairstyles in game by finding hairstyle magazines and taking them to a barber.

Ok. That's actually cool. I'd love to see some of the unlock able ones and how many there are.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Lakbay posted:

Looks like they did New Vegas style enemy scaling, in-land is early game and the swamps and coast line are end game.

There was a picture of a strat guide page showing level 91 deathclaws IIRC as well. Kinda wonder how viable leveling beyond 50 is gonna be looking at that map.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Any ballpark figure when one might expect the PS4 preload to start?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twitch removing all early copy streams :ironicat:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
full map with all locations labeled: http://imgur.com/a/grh63

Good if you're a colossal sperglord like me and want to beeline bobbleheads.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 8, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MinibarMatchman posted:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137035

this thread is amazing. it's like watching retards in their natural habitat complete with kneejerk
"preorder cancelled"

you should read the neogaf spoiler and review thread. basically alot of people are pissed that fallout isn't a bioware game and it doesn't have a deep bioware story. (which they havent done since loving ME 2) except bethesda has never done bioware stories. they basically plop you down in the middle of a field usually outside a jail/cave/ship/vault, give you a starter weapon then you wander about for 90 hours. the main quest is usually just some bridge for a basic glue narrative and to give you some special loot and it will probably have a dumb ending like it always does. Bethesda is more about roaming around doing "radiant quests" and side quests and shooting/stabbing poo poo or sightseeing and meeting some of the token quirky characters. and they are almost always fun. on the topic of that thread. it looks like alot of them are trying to justify hating the game because neogaf is full of graphix whores who hate anything that doesnt look like the order 1886.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Seriously though, when the hell is this stupid embargo gonna go? It already failed, people have streamed huge swaths of the game, just not on twitch, and everyone with half a brain and a VPN will be playing the game in roughly 18 hours.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lakbay posted:

There are also a decent number of underwater locations, and the map isn't a perfect square and bulges out in the bottom right. Pretty neat.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

(which they havent done)

ftfy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Seriously though, when the hell is this stupid embargo gonna go? It already failed, people have streamed huge swaths of the game, just not on twitch, and everyone with half a brain and a VPN will be playing the game in roughly 18 hours.

8am tomorrow for reviews. and midnight Tuesday for everything else.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i have my VPN all ready to go

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Make sure you visit your house after the tutorial for a free SPECIAL point

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

There are also a decent number of underwater locations, and the map isn't a perfect square and bulges out in the bottom right. Pretty neat.

ftfy

I guess deep story is the wrong word but i pulled that from neogaf. I only liked bioware's mass effect series(even 3), jade empire and of course KOTOR. because they were fun and had decent story and likable characters even if most of them were a troupes/cliches. then again i never liked the DA series, its tonally inconsistent as gently caress and the setting is boring.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Eonwe posted:

Yea, but do you have cocaine?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think there is also a bunch of wigs for even dumber hairstyles.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
How is melee combat? Is strength still a dump stat? I'm avoiding streams.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Perception and Charisma look like the dump stats. Charisma especially unless you're doing a gimmick build. 6 Charisma gets you supply lines between your settlements though

VVV someone said there's plenty of +charisma clothing so you can just swap out really fast

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 8, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lakbay posted:

Perception and Charisma look like the dump stats. Charisma especially unless you're doing a gimmick build. 6 Charisma gets you supply lines between your settlements though

Charisma is effectively speech, so if you want to talk your way out of situations you shouldn't dump it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You also need at least 4 PER for lockpicking, so...

Although with how early the Perception bobblehead is you can probably get away with only 3.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

If everyone has stopped remorseless shitposting, can we talk about some cool builds? How many of the New Vegas builds will translate well into FO 4? Can I make my atomic cowgirl, the cowgirl who uses energy weapons?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Charisma is effectively speech, so if you want to talk your way out of situations you shouldn't dump it.
Dialogue checks are back to random chance, so it pretty much still is a dump stat

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lakbay posted:

Awesome. I'm happy to see them finally going that route for encounter placement.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Do we know yet if there is wacky ambient encounter stuff keyed to Luck?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So looks like one of Lowtax's old foes makes an appearance:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Dialogue checks are back to random chance, so it pretty much still is a dump stat

Apparently the Charisma perks are really overpowered if you go all in on them, however. And apparently the Local Leader perk is REALLY handy because the economy isn't quite as breakable as previous games. Or so I hear, anyways.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

This dude has apparently been playing a bunch and gives charisma a glowing review, so maybe it won't be such an easy stat to write off. Granted, he's playing on max difficulty where turning super powered-up NPCs to your side is probably more useful than doing the same on normal or whatever.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

wait i thought the game could be vpn unlocked at 8am est, but other people in the thread are saying it can be earlier? when is the actual time?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Infinity Gaia posted:

Although with how early the Perception bobblehead is you can probably get away with only 3.

You can level up all the special stats as much as you want by spending perks with no limit. So you don't have to wait to find bobbleheads to raise stats if you have particular skills in mind. And it won't take a ton of levels to get to a build if your ideal build is just one or two special points to low at the start.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lakbay posted:

this. I remember one time in fallout 3, i was wandering about when i came to a small cliff, i jumped over it and was then torn apart a yao gui who was hiding under the cliff.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Any of these prima guide leaks show where the Bobbleheads are located?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can level up all the special stats as much as you want by spending perks with no limit. So you don't have to wait to find bobbleheads to raise stats if you have particular skills in mind. And it won't take a ton of levels to get to a build if your ideal build is just one or two special points to low at the start.

Ehhh with a softcap of about 50 and many useful perks having multiple ranks I'd rather spend as few perk points as possible on SPECIAL. Anything that helps me spend most of my points on actual perks is good. Besides I don't care about anything in Perception above Lockpicking anyways so leaving it at 3 and grabbing the super early PER Bobblehead seems ideal.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Infinity Gaia posted:

Ehhh with a softcap of about 50 and many useful perks having multiple ranks I'd rather spend as few perk points as possible on SPECIAL. Anything that helps me spend most of my points on actual perks is good. Besides I don't care about anything in Perception above Lockpicking anyways so leaving it at 3 and grabbing the super early PER Bobblehead seems ideal.

Max level is unlimited, The softcap is 280 something, 50 is just where all the ranks are unlocked. I bet you end the game on a reasonable playthrough around 60-65 knowing videogame design.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

frajaq posted:

Any of these prima guide leaks show where the Bobbleheads are located?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault-Tec_bobblehead

I'm trying to figure out exactly which bobbleheads are easy to get. Perception is literally during a tutorial segment. It looks like the Luck bobblehead is in a super high level place in the south east.

Also I posted it earlier, but after the tutorial there's a "You're SPECIAL" book in your old house that gives you a free SPECIAL level up.

Also there's debate if a bobblehead can make a stat go above 10 or not this time around. I'd love to roll around with permanent 11 Luck.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqyEp9by-g

A decent stream of the PS4 version in German I've been watching.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Max level is unlimited, The softcap is 280 something, 50 is just where all the ranks are unlocked. I bet you end the game on a reasonable playthrough around 60-65 knowing videogame design.

Softcap means "reasonable level to end the game" here, my friend. As in, levelling past such a point is unreasonably annoying or difficult. Judging from pre-release streams, betting on the 50-60 range is ideal. 280 would be the hardcap, beyond which point there would be nothing left to level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Eonwe posted:

who did you go with friend? thank you and god bless

• Locked thread