Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Apparently it's a bug and they're looking into it. Basically from wht I've heard armor is hosed so BB shells pretty much always overpen cruisers for 10% damage while cruiser AP can cut through BB armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Wonder it it's a wrong decimal there too? "Penetration factor * 10" instead of 1.0 etc

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Wonder it it's a wrong decimal there too? "Penetration factor * 10" instead of 1.0 etc

Wonder what's going to happen to the developer(s) that did this?

Bonus points if one developer did both.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Maybe now is the perfect time to grind those Ibuki/Baltimore.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Krogort posted:

Maybe now is the perfect time to grind those Ibuki/Baltimore.

Or the Admiral Hipper. Wait, gently caress.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If the fuckup has to do with penetration factors, that may explain why I seem to have been taking far more citadels from extreme angles than usual. Extremely annoying to watch someone broadside you and your shells do piddly damage, while his shells are coming in at a 60 degree angle and citadeling me. Or RNG is just dicking me over.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
It's funny how the optimal facing now for CA against BB is sitting at broadside at close range and any angling is now instance death.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0T5-zQCKk4

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
its ok guys, i wasn't just sitting at max range being useless, i was sitting at max range being useless because IM TRYIN TO GET CITADEL HITS

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Finally had a good game in the Hipper again, would have got solo warrior if there'd been one more enemy alive. Being the last ship left on the team while we capped out at 700 hp was nice and "tense".

Also got citadels.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Also, newsflash if you see cruisers who think that the AP change makes them invincible to pens:
If they're 203mm cruisers, fire into the magazine that's furthest away from you for citadels. If they're not, HE will knock out their engines with a direct hit, then you can pull range and angle for a citadel.
If you're a DD, especially russian, shoot AP at cruisers first to test for pens. If you're GETTING pens, don't stop shooting AP.

Edit:
Since I'm not in the mood to doublepost, I'll just edit my bragging in

Good doubles get me in a great mood for the rest of the night.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 9, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

Edit:
Since I'm not in the mood to doublepost, I'll just edit my bragging in

Good doubles get me in a great mood for the rest of the night.

ughhh.. Stop making us look bad with your inability to lose the match for your team.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

dominoeffect posted:

Wonder what's going to happen to the developer(s) that did this?

Bonus points if one developer did both.

Immediate promotion to head of QA

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

So I bought an Aoba. What should I know about it, besides it having more torpedoes and a better turret arrangement than the Furutaka?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sperglord Actual posted:

So I bought an Aoba. What should I know about it, besides it having more torpedoes and a better turret arrangement than the Furutaka?

It's better in basically every way except tier matchup.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I did notice it can only fire torps backward.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sperglord Actual posted:

You want to fire them as a parting gift while you're turning away, chiefly in a "welp that's a point blank Fuso time for me to mosey on out of here" way

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 9, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Sperglord Actual posted:

Get used to this, as every ship in the tree going forward hucks torps like this. But at least as you go up in tier you get more launchers, more tubes, more hurty warheads. Unlike the German line that uses the same torpedoes all the way from tier V to tier X.

They are a little tough to use because most people arent really fooled when you execute a full turn under 10km. I find they work best when you are kiting a pursuing enemy and it looks like you are just dodging instead of bringing your launchers to bear.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Best way to use them is to dump them from behind a terrain feature to try and catch someone coming around an island. Or, as mentioned, running away. Alternatively, if you get caught under 10 km from a battleship in open water, you can charge him, and release at point blank range as you pass him. You're reducing the likelihood of citadels that way, and you're forcing the battleship to maneuver away from you, likely bringing less guns to bear, or risk eating large numbers of high damage torpedoes. Along similar lines, you can count seconds between his salvoes and turn towards him and release before retreating. Even if he's smart and fully aware you released them, he still has to react to them.

Incidentally, the T8 premium Atago actually can fire them forwards as well. Two of its launchers are mounted further forward on better swivels, though they still don't cover quite as much area as the german launchers.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Hot news
http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/31444-some-interesting-info-from-ru/page__st__140__pid__670765#entry670765

tl;dr

quote:

So basically there was a glitch,entire game was balanced around that glitch,removed glitch so now entire game is unbalanced and will stay that way for months while they try to address it(hopefully without making it worse),instead of concentrating on new ship lines/Clan wars.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3s4u1g/ru_dev_on_the_intended_armor_change_and_more/

:gary: lol

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

some guy on Reddit posted:

Never go full Wargaming.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

This is it. This is Cruiser Era.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

If true than RIP my interest.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
:laffo:
Well idc, the patch seems to have made my DD AP more useful, so I can citadel dumb cruisers all day and not care.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

:laffo:
Well idc, the patch seems to have made my DD AP more useful, so I can citadel dumb cruisers all day and not care.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not the whole story. It feels like armor in general is thinner, creating more penetrations and overpens than there used to be.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not the whole story. It feels like armor in general is thinner, creating more penetrations and overpens than there used to be.

The given justification was that there was armor that was just cosmetic, 0 mm armor, that was still causing AP shell interactions when the shell hit them. This would cause battleship shells to bounce inside the citadel and explode, increasing the likelihood of citadels. This also likely assisted in deflecting AP from lower tiered ships before they entered the citadel of other ships, especially low caliber guns, like on DDs, though that is my own theory, not confirmed by WG.

If the issue really IS BB AP overpenning citadels and not something else, then tuning to the fuses of AP shells, or changes to the citadel armor of cruisers and battleships, would solve it. If its NOT that, and instead a case of the BB shells no longer going on trajectories through a ship that hit the citadel, then the problem isn't quite as clear. If they raise the citadel hitbox, then it increases the citadel chance for all ships, not just BBs. I mean, they could if they wanted to, but its likely not the best solution.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Oh no! My stats!

Are going to get better...

If that is possible :getin:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

The given justification was that there was armor that was just cosmetic, 0 mm armor, that was still causing AP shell interactions when the shell hit them. This would cause battleship shells to bounce inside the citadel and explode, increasing the likelihood of citadels. This also likely assisted in deflecting AP from lower tiered ships before they entered the citadel of other ships, especially low caliber guns, like on DDs, though that is my own theory, not confirmed by WG.

If the issue really IS BB AP overpenning citadels and not something else, then tuning to the fuses of AP shells, or changes to the citadel armor of cruisers and battleships, would solve it. If its NOT that, and instead a case of the BB shells no longer going on trajectories through a ship that hit the citadel, then the problem isn't quite as clear. If they raise the citadel hitbox, then it increases the citadel chance for all ships, not just BBs. I mean, they could if they wanted to, but its likely not the best solution.

People are saying different things about cruiser AP. Some say they don't notice a change, others say they notice a big change.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
So basically, they change is too big to revert, and they have no data as to what it should be because all their stats are as it shouldn't be?

hmm. Sounds like something that should have been caught in Beta.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

jownzy posted:

So basically, they change is too big to revert, and they have no data as to what it should be because all their stats are as it shouldn't be?

hmm. Sounds like something that should have been caught in Beta.

I actually believe them that this is (somewhat) working as intended. It's just that they were balancing around the bug since the end of alpha or so.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

wdarkk posted:

I actually believe them that this is (somewhat) working as intended. It's just that they were balancing around the bug since the end of alpha or so.

I get that, but they need to do something other than just leave it until they collect enough data. Should be pretty easy, since I'm sure 1,000 damage from a full salvo of a BB isn't working as intended for cruisers.

I just hopped in my Mogami and was landing multiple 5k+ salvo's with HE... on a North Carolina... even AP was penetrating.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

So apparently there's another WW2 ship game coming out in a few days called Steel Ocean made by a Chinese company, and it looks like they've got subs in it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Are you ready to install a program of any sort by a Chinese developer? I mean WG's Russian hacks are bad enough but gently caress off of I'll ever install a Chinese state sponsored game on my computer.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

demonR6 posted:

Are you ready to install a program of any sort by a Chinese developer? I mean WG's Russian hacks are bad enough but gently caress off of I'll ever install a Chinese state sponsored game on my computer.

Heh, yeah. We'll see how that goes. I have no plans on getting it either, and definitely not give them any kind of CC information.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I wonder if battleships' gun handling will be made so that it is less RNG-based now that citadels are much harder to get?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Danann posted:

I wonder if battleships' gun handling will be made so that it is less RNG-based now that citadels are much harder to get?

That'd be nice.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I understand overpenning a destroyer with 15mm "armor" for a hull, but I dont get how shooting a cruiser broadside with big AP shells isnt working right. Four+ inches of armor isnt enough to fuze a BB shell? As much as I hated fighting against higher tier BBs in a cruiser, it more or less "felt" right if that makes any sense.

Just had a beautiful 5 kill, 60,000dmg game in the Gnevny ruined by a pubbie. Two enemy ships left, one of them afk. I know the live player is hiding behind a big island trying to cap, so I tell the pubbie to move south while I flush him out going west. Guy decides to be Mr. Helper and follows me west. Enemy ship just heads the other way (right to where I told the pubbie to go) and avoids me just long enough to secure a win on points as time expired. Teammate was in a nearly full hp New York and the enemy ship was a Karlsruhe with about 4k hp so its not like he had any reason to be hesitant. At least I got confederate out of it.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

You should join a goon division in teamspeak then :)

Good avatar/post combo there.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

People are saying different things about cruiser AP. Some say they don't notice a change, others say they notice a big change.

Well, it should affect all AP, not just BB AP. All armor was affected, which in turn should affect all AP shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Double post this time since its not self bragging, update from WG about the armor change

http://forum.worldofwarships.ru/index.php?/topic/34999-%D0%BE-%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8F%D1%85-%D0%B2-051/#topmost
Translation from reddit:

quote:

Roll back to the model of damages 0.5.0 is not planned. Today, we have considered this option, however, as I have already explained, the internal ricochet error needed to be corrected anyway. So roll back to the old model, and then re-implementing changes in the new model doesn't seem to be the best solution. We believe that this kind of back-and-forth will bring even more negativity.

On the other hand, today's studio tests and checks showed that internal bounce may not be the only reason for the fall of the number of penetrations of the citadel. We already have several hypotheses about what other scenario could change after the upgrade. Unfortunately, we hardly have time to finally deal with it today, but will make every effort to solve the problem for the next few days. This is the priority issue 0.5.1 update.

The idea of collecting statistical data for the whole month is not even on the table. We will get the necessary data ourselves, when we finish our checks. At the moment, it is not a question of fine-balancing of some individual ships (these things really require us to gather statistics for a long time), but the likelihood of possible errors in mechanics, which cause damage to the citadel to occur less often than intended.

To summarize, we will check things, prepare an adequate solution and will share the details with you. And we'll be able to play peacefully at last.

On behalf of the entire team, allow us to sincerely thank you for quickly letting us know about this problem and its extent