Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Rhymenoserous posted:

In a weird bit of news: I've gotten more interaction out of CRB dudes IN GAME than I had at release and as a beta player.

Cyster actively engages the community and chit chats about upcoming things/bug fixes/et al in the game itself which is downright unusual for any MMO and I kinda dig it.

EDIT: And judging by the number of weirdly obsessive people hunting down box copies in zone chat, my guild, wherever carbine's "Trade box copies for in game rewards" thing is going ridiculously strong. A half dozen people I've met are fervently searching for wildstar boxes in gamestops within 45 minutes of their houses and buying them all and I frankly have no clue what the gently caress is going on anymore, up is down, black is white.

Stockholm Syndrome is a horible thing to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokZ posted:

Stockholm Syndrome is a horible thing to behold.

Turn that sunk cost into a submarine!

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
nothing's been leaking out so I guess everyone is now having fun with the game right :smug:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/146446-server-family-reunion/#entry1453440

over/under on something loving up?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All mmos dont need to exists because its loving 2015 and slapping a chat client into a lovely RPG and letting you mindlessly grind aint poo poo today. MMOs exist today as cellphone games, because the potential scope is massive, they just took the camera control away, if you can't handle that then go back to your grandpa mmos.

Every game that wants to can have a social experience very easily, we have been talking to each other over xbox live since I was in loving high school, there is no way anyone without nostalgia sees these games and thinks, wow, that enemy ran towards you, you hit it 4 times, then it dies, and now your doing it again. Even the largest group content, the literal most exciting stuff in these games, just looks like a cluttered mess of disco if you haven't been trained by old games to accept technical limitations.

Seriously, every typical EQ MMO is literally a really loving bad RPG with a chat client.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Seriously, every typical EQ MMO is literally a really loving bad RPG with a chat client.

This is true. I have friends who play WoW just for the roleplay; they don't raid or do anything other than just log in to pretend to be elf nobility and poo poo. They spend fifteen dollars a month to use a graphical chat client.

Some days I wonder how they would have reacted to MUSHes and such.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

John Dyne posted:

Some days I wonder how they would have reacted to MUSHes and such.
Speaking as an old nerd, I have no idea how these kids manage to tolerate MMO RP. Probably just don't know any better.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Casual rping in MMOs can be a great way of getting to know people and find guilds if you're new on a server.

Just stay away from the "((IF I EVER SEE YOU IN A RAID INSTANCE I'LL PUT YOU ON MY IGNORELIST))" quantumspergs.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Lima posted:

Casual rping in MMOs can be a great way of getting to know people and find guilds if you're new on a server.

Just stay away from the "((IF I EVER SEE YOU IN A RAID INSTANCE I'LL PUT YOU ON MY IGNORELIST))" quantumspergs.

You have to give a little more context for that. Is that a thing?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

RPZip posted:

As with every hobby there's people who obsess far too much. Every rp community I've been part of had always had a few who'd only do anything if their character had a valid in-character reason to do so. They'd craft elaborate stories of what their chars where doing when they were offline, they'd spend literal hours coming up with justifications for silly gamemechanics, they'd backtalk anyone whom they didn't consider to be a true rper and they would churn out drama near constantly. The RP topic in the blizzard subforum should have plenty examples.

The far majority of mmo rpers are mostly down to earth and chill but there's always those people.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

RPZip posted:

I've been actively roleplaying in WoW for eight or so years at this point. I have been kicked from numerous guilds for raiding while trying to be in an RP guild at the same time. There are legit people out there who think that raiding, in any form, is an elitist activity and that even if you've been a perfectly well-behaved member of the guild for a month, by entering a raid instance you've proven yourself to be a douche and must be kicked.

I've gotten kicked from six or seven RP guilds because I also raid in pugs, to the point that I gave up on guilds for the last half of MoP and WoD until a few months ago.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Yep.

I generally tool around on RP servers for the hell of it. Most people are actually very chill and fun to play with, but you will occasionally find people that make your eye twitch. In Burning Crusade I helped run a Karazhan raid for the RP crew, and there were a pair of pure DPS classes doing as much or less damage than the tank. Sick of wiping to Curator, I asked them politely to research their classes and spec well for the encounters. I was told in no uncertain terms that their characters had to have the abilities they were specced into and they'd just go make their own raid instead.

On another server there was also a stint of "RP stands for role play, not raid progression!" that would happen whenever anyone posted about their raid doing well or their raid guild recruiting.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Cyster posted:

I was told in no uncertain terms that their characters had to have the abilities they were specced into and they'd just go make their own raid instead.

On another server there was also a stint of "RP stands for role play, not raid progression!" that would happen whenever anyone posted about their raid doing well or their raid guild recruiting.

I've had the extremely unfortunate event of being elected the "PvE Officer" of an RP guild multiple times (once against my will) and I've gotten both of these excuses. The other one I got frequently was "I shouldn't have to study to play a video game LOL!" because I asked them to spend three minutes reading their rotation on IcyVeins.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Asimo posted:

Speaking as an old nerd, I have no idea how these kids manage to tolerate MMO RP. Probably just don't know any better.

I'm in the same boat, though I did do WoW RP for a time. But most of the people I did it with were more into it than I was. Like another guy mentioned, they come up with stuff their characters are doing while they're offline, have full hobbies and poo poo for them, that kind of thing. I remember doing that kinda poo poo on MUDs but with WoW everything is so.. I dunno. I had a blast doing it in EverQuest but for the most part you could DO that kinda thing in EQ, cause if you said your dude was a baker, you could drop an oven on the ground and make a loving pie right there in front of someone.

I just don't get MMO roleplaying anymore. Seeing it in SWTOR was kinda funny, though.

Luckily I've never seen the 'YOU ARE ON MY IGNORE LIST FOR RAIDING' poo poo, though I did have roleplayers who would show up in PvP gear to do Karazhan back when I was the caster lead in a guild back during TBC; I'd left a progressing raid group because of some drama after the raid leader up and vanished. A mage was still upset paladins could DPS and was angry I kept beating him on the damage meters, and when a mace dropped in Serpentshrine and I was the only one who wanted it and could use it, the mage gave it to one of his buddies (who wanted me to have it.) Moved to a warlock, got into a fledgling raiding guild, and there were so many roleplayers who were like 'but this is what I wanna look like' that had to learn they needed a set to wear that wasn't absolute poo poo when they came to dungeons because I wasn't gonna carry their asses.

That group went on to clear Hyjal with me. I was a proud motherfucker for that.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

lots of cringey roleplayer dorks ITT

yikes

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

roleplaying owns

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I've been actively roleplaying in WoW for eight or so years at this point. I have been kicked from numerous guilds for raiding while trying to be in an RP guild at the same time. There are legit people out there who think that raiding, in any form, is an elitist activity and that even if you've been a perfectly well-behaved member of the guild for a month, by entering a raid instance you've proven yourself to be a douche and must be kicked.

I've gotten kicked from six or seven RP guilds because I also raid in pugs, to the point that I gave up on guilds for the last half of MoP and WoD until a few months ago.
The important thing to remember about nerd hobbies is they're inherently exclusionary since nerds are horrible about dealing with other people and probably have a history of being ostracized in school, so like having "safe places" and get loving pissed when "those people" intrude. To go in the other direction, basically very "those loving casuals!!" argument tends to boil down to poindexter being livid that popular people might taint their personal escapism. It's pretty obnoxious and basically every dumb game argument makes perfect depressing sense once you realize it.

a real jerk posted:

lots of cringey roleplayer dorks ITT

yikes
fight me irl

but only with d20s

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

FFXIV goons back during A Realm Reborn were also guilty of this. One of the two goon guilds was infamously casual and passive-aggressive against people who did hardcore content or raiding in any capacity, instead of playing dress-up or roleplaying. A few of the people involved still aggressively shitpost in the FFXIV thread to this day, insulting hardcore players and acting like their opinions on content they'll never see matters (even less than forum posts typically matter to game design). :iiam:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Cyster posted:

Yep.

I generally tool around on RP servers for the hell of it. Most people are actually very chill and fun to play with, but you will occasionally find people that make your eye twitch. In Burning Crusade I helped run a Karazhan raid for the RP crew, and there were a pair of pure DPS classes doing as much or less damage than the tank. Sick of wiping to Curator, I asked them politely to research their classes and spec well for the encounters. I was told in no uncertain terms that their characters had to have the abilities they were specced into and they'd just go make their own raid instead.

It's thanks to fuckers like them that people would lose their goddamn minds when they would lose to me in PVP and see I was from Moon Guard. Had people roll alts just to whisper a lot of creative insults. Cause surely EVERYONE on an RP server must be like that, and I got lucky.

But then I also had a few nice RP guilds fall apart because of the raiding bug absolutely destroying what used to be a no pressure "eh, we'll do this just for laughs" environment. It ended up being an absolute nightmare.

I will say this though: WildStar's Dominion Roleplayers are loving terrifying and I'm staying well away from that mess whenever I do get bored with FFXIV.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I forgot Widstar has an RP community. Where the gently caress do they even meet? What do they RP about? I mean what the hell, I gotta know more about these guys. They sound amusing.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

John Dyne posted:

I forgot Widstar has an RP community. Where the gently caress do they even meet? What do they RP about? I mean what the hell, I gotta know more about these guys. They sound amusing.

They probably start all their sentences with "Chua thinks...".

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

John Dyne posted:

Uh... The bar by the DDR pads in the exile city and then there a bunch of housing plots that are designated hang outs.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Anoia posted:

It's thanks to fuckers like them that people would lose their goddamn minds when they would lose to me in PVP and see I was from Moon Guard. Had people roll alts just to whisper a lot of creative insults. Cause surely EVERYONE on an RP server must be like that, and I got lucky.

But then I also had a few nice RP guilds fall apart because of the raiding bug absolutely destroying what used to be a no pressure "eh, we'll do this just for laughs" environment. It ended up being an absolute nightmare.

I will say this though: WildStar's Dominion Roleplayers are loving terrifying and I'm staying well away from that mess whenever I do get bored with FFXIV.

are they roleplaying nazis

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

RottenK posted:

However did you guess?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Anoia posted:

Uh... The bar by the DDR pads in the exile city and then there a bunch of housing plots that are designated hang outs.

Oh right, I should've thought of the fact they'd have specific housing for it. Duh.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RottenK posted:

Nazis about roleplaying or roleplaying as Nazis?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yes

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What a surprise, the loser dorks who currently play Wildstar are also the same loser dorks that RP in MMOs for years.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Anoia posted:

It's thanks to fuckers like them that people would lose their goddamn minds when they would lose to me in PVP and see I was from Moon Guard.

Whenever someone in a BG mentioned that I'm from Moon Guard my instant response was always "Yeah, wanna gently caress?"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I joined the Goon guild Gold Knuckles based on Moon Guard. My off raid time hobby was to find the worst of the worst MRP profiles and start reading them mid raid to see if I could cause a wipe.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Whenever someone in a BG mentioned that I'm from Moon Guard my instant response was always "Yeah, wanna gently caress?"

Did that ever backfire?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Anoia posted:

Did that ever backfire?

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

Anoia posted:

Did that ever backfire?

Define "backfire".

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Rhymenoserous posted:

I joined the Goon guild Gold Knuckles based on Moon Guard. My off raid time hobby was to find the worst of the worst MRP profiles and start reading them mid raid to see if I could cause a wipe.

I contributed to the old WoW articles Abe used to do by gathering the worst loving FlagRSPs I could find. :downs:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

DangerDan posted:

Define "backfire".

Well if you're both willing... Never mind.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Wildstar update from a goon who plays this bad game:

Guild is working on getting people attuned/geared/skilled to get into the first 20 man raid, the good news is the first raid is semi favorable to pug, so those of us at that level have already stepped into GA a few times, but I'd still rather do it entirely with friends.
Last night we found a guild that's got all content on farm that was doing "Alt runs" but short of regular people for the alt runs and they invited our attuned folks to come along.

With that in mind, I can legitimately say that raiding in this game is stupid fun and had me way more engaged than any WoW raid to date, and the general "Difficulty" of the raiding is more a product of everything "Sounding" more overwhelming than it actually ends up being.

I still legitimately believe there should be a easier mode though for both dungeons and raids for folks uninterested in doing mechanics to a "Near perfect" degree, not necessarily "Tourist" mode, but something the equivalent of WoW normals.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
p funny that dumb goons playing this poo poo game post in the thread making fun of poo poo game.

Like why not make a new thread, or better yet quit playing WildFart

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Wildstar update from a goon who plays this bad game:

Guild is working on getting people attuned/geared/skilled to get into the first 20 man raid, the good news is the first raid is semi favorable to pug, so those of us at that level have already stepped into GA a few times, but I'd still rather do it entirely with friends.
Last night we found a guild that's got all content on farm that was doing "Alt runs" but short of regular people for the alt runs and they invited our attuned folks to come along.

With that in mind, I can legitimately say that raiding in this game is stupid fun and had me way more engaged than any WoW raid to date, and the general "Difficulty" of the raiding is more a product of everything "Sounding" more overwhelming than it actually ends up being.

I still legitimately believe there should be a easier mode though for both dungeons and raids for folks uninterested in doing mechanics to a "Near perfect" degree, not necessarily "Tourist" mode, but something the equivalent of WoW normals.

Real talk, I appreciate these little trip reports. I'll probably come mess around when I run out of things to do in... the game I won't bother mentioning lest I invoke something again.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
yeah one dude making sick burns like 'DUMB GOONS' and 'LOSER DORKS' makes a thread the thread for making fun of a game

Snatch Duster posted:

why not make a new thread, or better yet quit posting

Anoia posted:

Real talk, I appreciate these little trip reports. I'll probably come mess around when I run out of things to do in... the game I won't bother mentioning lest I invoke something again.

Same. I haven't had much time to play it lately due to work and other poo poo like Vermintide, but with everyone I know vanishing into Fallout I might have more time to run around in Wildstar and get through whatever zone I was last in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Dyne posted:

yeah one dude making sick burns like 'DUMB GOONS' and 'LOSER DORKS' makes a thread the thread for making fun of a game

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Wildstar will be shutdown within a year [IGN] [NEWS] [56k no way!]

The entire point of the thread is making fun of wildstar lol you loving dummy

The OP has zero content about the game, and its last 20+ pages is mocking the game loving lol

• Locked thread