Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Did I imagine Todd Howard saying he put over 400 hours into the game and was still finding new things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I didn't even think about doing the VPN trick and currently have the game downloading regular like. Oh well. Any good streams up since they killed all the twitch feeds?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im not going to say they won't ban your account

they could, they are well within their rights to and could easily do it

that being said, I don't think they or EA have ever done it

the only bans I can ever recall occurring from VPNs are if you VPN in to buy a game at a cheaper price, and they don't even always ban you then

lots of people bought Battlefield Hardline at the Mexico price and nothing ever came of it

so basically, they probably won't ban your Steam account, but they could and might

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i tried using this and setting the vpn to new zealand and reset steam to see if the store pages unlock went down but it still said tuesday.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

Did I imagine Todd Howard saying he put over 400 hours into the game and was still finding new things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvGXCisAaR4

re-post this every page

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Scoss posted:

I did the VPN trick with Skyrim, but it's been a long time and I'm sure I was a little nervous back then too. Just to confirm:

It's technically against the steam TOS to disguise your location, but it's pretty much an open secret that Valve has never banned anyone for doing this to unlock games early, so long as you're not trying to buy games cheap over the VPN. Is that more or less the situation?

It seems like the sort of thing where 99% of the time it'll be fine but if you get one of those rare situations where steam messes up you are going to be in a bad place for contacting customer support.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Scoss posted:

I did the VPN trick with Skyrim, but it's been a long time and I'm sure I was a little nervous back then too. Just to confirm:

It's technically against the steam TOS to disguise your location, but it's pretty much an open secret that Valve has never banned anyone for doing this to unlock games early, so long as you're not trying to buy games cheap over the VPN. Is that more or less the situation?

You legitimately paid for it already so why would they ban you from buying more games through steam legitimately. Everyone one got their money.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

This thread really chilled out over the weekend. The hype is real.

Most shitposters have things to do in the weekend. When the weekdays hit again, the shitposting will resume in full storm as people are bored at work.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I figured.

Well, at least there's actually a bethesda game on the new-gen consoles.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Roobanguy posted:

i tried using this and setting the vpn to new zealand and reset steam to see if the store pages unlock went down but it still said tuesday.

You need to set your server download region to NZ (download settings) as well as your store region in your account details (click your username in the top right)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah I think it would just give too much of a negative hit to PR if they banned people who loving paid 50+ for the game. It's never happened before and I doubt it will in the future.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Roobanguy posted:

The game will come out on Tuesday midnight New Zealand time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you are right though, it said 1 day 19 hours for me

interesting...let me figure out whats going on with that

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kizurue posted:

I didn't even think about doing the VPN trick and currently have the game downloading regular like. Oh well. Any good streams up since they killed all the twitch feeds?

You don't use the VPN until you've got it fully downloaded and it's unlock time in the country you're going to VPN through anyway so you still have the option later.

1. Fully preload the game prior to release day in the target country

After unlock time:

2. Close steam
3. Connect VPN
4. Reopen steam, unlock and launch game. If you don't launch it once whilst in online mode it won't start up in offline mode.
5. Close game
6. Restart steam in offline mode
7. Disconnect VPN

Just don't let steam online again until your local launch date and it'll be fine. I played NV and Deus Ex HR for a couple of days before the UK launches with this method, and have never had any issues with my steam account. As long as you paid your local price for it they don't really give a poo poo.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kizurue posted:

you do the VPN tomorrow when it releases in NZ, itll decrypr and then you go offline. downloading it now is good.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lakbay posted:

Looks like they did New Vegas style enemy scaling, in-land is early game and the swamps and coast line are end game.

So does that mean the map is bigger than what some of the early streamers were showing off?

Because the map they showed off was pretty small.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

You don't use the VPN until you've got it fully downloaded and it's unlock time in the country you're going to VPN through anyway so you still have the option later.

1. Fully preload the game prior to release day in the target country

After unlock time:

2. Close steam
3. Connect VPN
4. Reopen steam, unlock and launch game. If you don't launch it once whilst in online mode it won't start up in offline mode.
5. Close game
6. Restart steam in offline mode
7. Disconnect VPN

Just don't let steam online again until your local launch date and it'll be fine. I played NV and Deus Ex HR for a couple of days before the UK launches with this method, and have never had any issues with my steam account. As long as you paid your local price for it they don't really give a poo poo.

yea

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I assume it's small but you're going to be running into stuff every 3 minutes instead of every 8 minutes like in FO3/NV. Whether the stuff you run into is fun or not is up in the air.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its weird tho, even using FlyVPN the date isn't changing on Steam, tho it is on my browser. Verified all traffic is going through New Zealand tho, so I don't know whats with the discrepancy there

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Actually builds are probably more relevant than ever in Fallout 4. There isn't THAT much experience to go around in the game, just because you can theoretically level forever doesn't mean it's reasonable to do so. Like I said, having watched a bunch of leakers, I'd guess the average player ends the game in the high 50's/low 60's range, which is pretty much just enough for a focused build considering multiple perk ranks and such. Unlike the previous two games where with minimal amounts of effort (mostly just having high starting Intelligence) you could trivially become a master of all things in vanilla.
I'm actually rather impressed with how elegant the system seems.

I mean, there is nothing really stopping you from grinding out 10 attributes in all SPECIAL. Nothing but 43 levels. 43 levels of nearly the exact same performance you had at level 1. SPECIAL seem primarily about gating perks. Perks are the real deal. The trick, is the system enables you to make immediate and significant strides toward your intended playstyle. You're not waiting until level 20 or 30 for a 'class defining' perk. You're getting a slice of it right out the door, and they're still substantial slices. +20% damage is no joke. At level 2 you will legitimately be proficient at something. By level 10, you will probably have the base tier of all class vital perks, and effectively be playing exactly the way you want to ultimately be playing, and continue doing just that for the next 30 levels. By the time you hit level 43, sure, you have exactly the same SPECIAL, but you will actually be ultimate sneak, or gunslinger, or melee bruiser. That guy with 10 SPECIAL across the board? Maybe he doubled his HP, but you also did that, and then some.

So SPECIAL are class defining. You pick your spread, and while they can be corrected, or even maxed, the fact you're looking at a double XP+ (minimum) investment to actually get any new perks is balancing. Think about it. Make a character with 1 str. Decide that character wasn't maximum effective power armor. That's 9 levels of very little benefit (carry weight is actually pretty rad). THEN you can start gaining XP toward FINALLY investing in Pain Train. On the other hand, the system has the flexibility to facilitate an already strong character becoming even stronger without such a task being so tedious.

Now, it could all fall apart in practice. If XP/level gain is super fast or super slow, or has a weird curve, but conceptually I am really liking it... on paper.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

queeb posted:

you do the VPN tomorrow when it releases in NZ, itll decrypr and then you go offline. downloading it now is good.

Wow some really impatient babbies will go to lengths to get the game 12 hours ahead of people.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Scoss posted:

You need to set your server download region to NZ (download settings) as well as your store region in your account details (click your username in the top right)

cool. thanks.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Archonex posted:

So does that mean the map is bigger than what some of the early streamers were showing off?

Only the lower left part of the map actually goes "out of bounds" based on the pip boy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Protons posted:

Wow some really impatient babbies will go to lengths to get the game 12 hours ahead of people.

lol shutup

its turning on a VPN and changing the store location you weirdo

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm so excited for whatever dumb thing they did with Salem.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Protons posted:

Most people have jobs or school or stuff so it's the difference between playing Monday night or Tuesday night.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Protons posted:

I just want to get a chance to play before having to go to work on Monday.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinity Gaia posted:

I just want to get a chance to play before having to go to work on Monday.

WHAT AN IMPATIENT BABBIE AM I RIGHT

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

lol

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Please stop using my country to illicitly access video games early. I have reported you all to the police.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Please stop using my country to illicitly access video games early. I have reported you all to the police.

people finally are thinking about your country more often than when Lord of the Rings is on

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Archonex posted:

I legitimately can't really imagine playing this game and going "god, it's so small there's nothing there." YMMV but it just feels implausible to me.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Eonwe posted:

people finally are thinking about your country more often than when Lord of the Rings is on

NZ: lord of the rings, rugby, domestic violence, sheep, getting video games 12 hours early

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NZ: lord of the rings, rugby, domestic violence, sheep, getting video games 12 hours early

when you put it like that i kind of want to move there

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

getting video games 12 hours early

what terrible price do you pay for this great privilege?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lotish posted:

what terrible price do you pay for this great privilege?

he lives in new zealand

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Constant Hamprince posted:

Most people have jobs or school or stuff so it's the difference between playing Monday night or Tuesday night.

oh my god a day

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Constant Hamprince posted:

Which is also loving nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
then dont VPN in, lol

nobody is saying they will literally die if they can't play it

but if they want to VPN in and play a game early why do you care so much about that lmao

• Locked thread