Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My laptop is nearly as strong as most modern calculators so I don't think I can play this game. I am sad at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Eonwe posted:

then dont VPN in, lol

nobody is saying they will literally die if they can't play it

but if they want to VPN in and play a game early why do you care so much about that lmao

It's way too much hassle just for being impatient.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Kiggles posted:

I'm actually rather impressed with how elegant the system seems.

I mean, there is nothing really stopping you from grinding out 10 attributes in all SPECIAL. Nothing but 43 levels. 43 levels of nearly the exact same performance you had at level 1. SPECIAL seem primarily about gating perks. Perks are the real deal. The trick, is the system enables you to make immediate and significant strides toward your intended playstyle. You're not waiting until level 20 or 30 for a 'class defining' perk. You're getting a slice of it right out the door, and they're still substantial slices. +20% damage is no joke. At level 2 you will legitimately be proficient at something. By level 10, you will probably have the base tier of all class vital perks, and effectively be playing exactly the way you want to ultimately be playing, and continue doing just that for the next 30 levels. By the time you hit level 43, sure, you have exactly the same SPECIAL, but you will actually be ultimate sneak, or gunslinger, or melee bruiser. That guy with 10 SPECIAL across the board? Maybe he doubled his HP, but you also did that, and then some.

So SPECIAL are class defining. You pick your spread, and while they can be corrected, or even maxed, the fact you're looking at a double XP+ (minimum) investment to actually get any new perks is balancing. Think about it. Make a character with 1 str. Decide that character wasn't maximum effective power armor. That's 9 levels of very little benefit (carry weight is actually pretty rad). THEN you can start gaining XP toward FINALLY investing in Pain Train. On the other hand, the system has the flexibility to facilitate an already strong character becoming even stronger without such a task being so tedious.

Now, it could all fall apart in practice. If XP/level gain is super fast or super slow, or has a weird curve, but conceptually I am really liking it... on paper.

this reminds me once again that I need a proper character builder when I can actually insert perks and stuff, that nukahub thing is a good reference but I can't actually PLAN my build there, and the other build planner was a piece of crap that wouldn't display right on my computer :argh:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Nz is best known for insane chocolate milk.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm loving lazy so I'll wait the extra day than go through all that VPN poo poo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It's incredibly trivial to VPN a game, and in no way a hassle.

Granted I don't care enough about a few hours, but I've done it when it's something that releases on a Tuesday in America and on Friday here in Bongland.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I for one am legit exited for this release

are there any streams still going on?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bholder posted:

:thumbsup:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

TorakFade posted:

this reminds me once again that I need a proper character builder when I can actually insert perks and stuff, that nukahub thing is a good reference but I can't actually PLAN my build there, and the other build planner was a piece of crap that wouldn't display right on my computer :argh:

Hello again fellow minmaxer, I just learned that if you visit your house after the tutorial, there's a book that will give you a free SPECIAL level up.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bholder posted:

oh boy clicking on 2 buttons sure is a hassle....

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bholder posted:

It's really not a particularly big hassle. I already have the VPN handy from previous games anyways. I'd rather have a slight hassle and play on Monday than have no hassle and play on Tuesday.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

im pretty short on time this week for playing videogames so being able to play it early is cool.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm scared to VPN and I resent the people who do

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bholder posted:

Closing steam, opening a VPN program, and then reopening steam is 'way too much hassle?' It's like clicking three buttons

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

VPN is really simple stop being a bitch

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone happen to know if the island in the southeast part of the map has a settlement spot on it? Because if so, I'm grabbing Ghoulbeard or whatever his name is and taking over the island to make a new :pirate: nation.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Protons posted:

oh my god a day

Dude you don't understand I need access early to start my deathclaw prostitute mod started. I already decided on the size and shape of the boobs I am going to mod on them.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Son of Rodney posted:

I for one am legit exited for this release

are there any streams still going on?

I've been keeping an eye on Youtube Gaming and there are steams starting up constantly, but they're getting shut down within minutes. It's weird that they seem to be going so hard on it right now, some kid streamed for almost 10 hours straight earlier

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yo how much drive space this game take up, anyway?

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Yo how much drive space this game take up, anyway?

~30GB

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So when does this unlock on PC, will there be any fuckery to be able to unlock it early?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Fat_Cow posted:

So when does this unlock on PC, will there be any fuckery to be able to unlock it early?

No, none at all.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol max landis continuing his 2015 campaign of bein a babyback bitch

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Cool, thanks. :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ethanol posted:

duct taped iPhone pip boys are my favorite pip boys
I love the idea of a forearm-mounted smart device however I do not even wear watches anymore because I keep scratching them on server racks or getting them caught on something while I'm working under the sink. I have trouble seeing how having my entire outer forearm be an expensive and fragile electronic device is very practical (also the weight would be obnoxious until you got used to it). :(

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
hahaha that Neogaf thread that was linked earlier about the PS4 framerate is good reading

:allears:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 8, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bardeh posted:

hahaha that Neogaf thread that was linked earlier about the PS4 framerate is good reading

:allears:

hahaha jesus christ

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So does that boston map come with the game, or was it from a magazine / strat guide?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

money has been taken out of my account, just please start the auto download now!!!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TorakFade posted:

http://www.rpg-gaming.com/fo4.html

edit: oh wait, this is probably the other builder you mentioned. It works fine for me, but it can be hard to notice that the scroll bar is on the left when looking at the perk table--I certainly found it hard to work with on the laptop I was using.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 8, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fun prescriptivists turn on each other, seeing who can be the bigger idiot rear end in a top hat: eonwe or Bholder.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

CoronaryBypass posted:

I'm thinking of using this for my John Cena Build. http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?s=8&p=1&e=6&c=6&i=1&a=4&l=2. With bobble heads I will be the ultimate pain train party boy who you can't see.

Get the dumb Luck perk that plagues you with the KA-CHING sound except replace the sound file with BA BA BA BAAAAA, BA BA BA BAAAAA

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If you look past the blow-up-doll you can see a photorealistic desk. (Behind a bunch of blur)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

didnt realize tilda swinton was in the game

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
is there just a table of all the perks in the game that I can look at while you nerds argue about VPNs and poo poo

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Legs Benedict posted:

is there just a table of all the perks in the game that I can look at while you nerds argue about VPNs and poo poo

There sure is

http://orcz.com/Fallout_4:_Perk_Chart

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ChibiSoma posted:

Anyone happen to know if the island in the southeast part of the map has a settlement spot on it? Because if so, I'm grabbing Ghoulbeard or whatever his name is and taking over the island to make a new :pirate: nation.

This is important

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

This is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

iGestalt posted:

This is stupid.

It is a joke. It's a parody of another picture.

• Locked thread