Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Yea why would you buy glasses in a store, they're literally $10 online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PT6A posted:

Have you tried one of those online glasses places? That's one way to save a whole fuckload of money.

The lenses are stupid expensive still, and finding a pair of frames that fit comfortably is a pain because I have a strangely shaped head. The inexpensive lenses literally won't fit in frames because of how thick they'd be, which is why they're so expensive.

My current frames were 25$.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Brannock posted:

My friend is slowly losing the vision in his eye and Canadian healthcare doesn't cover the surgery needed to correct it. It'll run him something above five thousand dollars to pay for the procedure. He can't afford it for a while yet so has to live with decaying and double/triple vision, among other things.

If Canadian healthcare can cover it for refugees why not for Canadian citizens?

My mom just had eye surgery for something that sounds pretty similar and it was covered (in BC). She had to pay to rent some equipment to make the recovery easier, but that was it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

toe knee hand posted:

My mom just had eye surgery for something that sounds pretty similar and it was covered (in BC). She had to pay to rent some equipment to make the recovery easier, but that was it.

There's a difference between literally surgery only on your eye (often covered) and regular eye checkups and glasses/contact lenses (not covered except in certain specific circumstances). Funnily enough afaik the same doesn't apply to dental procedures, dental surgery is almost never covered.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

regular eye checkups (not covered except in certain specific circumstances)

Thanks OLP :(

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It's a real pity that when the ONDP actually had a chance to win against the Liberals their most visible promises were "pocket book" issues like cutting taxes and a commitment to to cut 600 million a year in government spending instead of attacking the Liberals for their long history of mixing corporate welfare and austerity.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

TrueChaos posted:

In Ontario I believe optometry visits are covered until you're 18, and if you have issues that you're born with you get coverage for checkups for life. I get free checkups because my eyes suck. Doesn't help a whole lot when a new pair of glasses are 500$ on lenses alone, and my work coverage doesn't cover glasses. I also can't claim it as tax deductible until I spend more than something like $1K/year on medical expenses.

Needing a really strong prescription is not enough, by itself, to qualify for OHIP coverage on vision care.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah it boggles my mind how retail glasses stores still exist, but I guess it's for people like my dad who just need the experience of a slick salesman pretending to be his friend and telling him how amazing these $300 glasses look on him rather than buying a nearly identical (or actually identical) set online for like $50.

Everyone I know in my age range buys online though so I wonder what these stores and their insane markups are going to do once boomers and people who "don't like buying things online" go away.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it boggles my mind how retail glasses stores still exist, but I guess it's for people like my dad who just need the experience of a slick salesman pretending to be his friend and telling him how amazing these $300 glasses look on him rather than buying a nearly identical (or actually identical) set online for like $50.

Everyone I know in my age range buys online though so I wonder what these stores and their insane markups are going to do once boomers and people who "don't like buying things online" go away.

Even places like Walmart sell two pair for $150 regularly. Not as cheap as online, but a hell of a lot better than the little place inside the optometrist's office.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's not an aversion to buying online because "spooky tech"; for me, it's because I want to actually see what I look like in glasses before spending a couple hundred on them. Those weird tools where they paste the outline on your face are universally poo poo and don't give you an accurate representation of how they'll really look or feel or anything you'll have to live with day to day for the life of the frame. You have to put the glasses on your face.

Frankly, glasses are one of those things I think you've got to be completely deranged to buy anywhere but a physical store.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Yeah you'd have to be completely deranged to spend a fraction of what I spend on glasses!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's not an aversion to buying online because "spooky tech"; for me, it's because I want to actually see what I look like in glasses before spending a couple hundred on them. Those weird tools where they paste the outline on your face are universally poo poo and don't give you an accurate representation of how they'll really look or feel or anything you'll have to live with day to day for the life of the frame. You have to put the glasses on your face.

Frankly, glasses are one of those things I think you've got to be completely deranged to buy anywhere but a physical store.

Even if you screw up like three or four times before finding a good pair that you like, you'll still have saved 50% in some cases.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

While we're on eyechat, my iDoc was trying to get me into a pair of Eyezen glasses because I'm a huge nerd and most of my day is spent looking at a screen, but when she put a trial pair on me I got a headache pretty much instantly. Is there actually something to them or is it just hoodoo?

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Also, less snarky but all of the online places I've shopped from offer free returns presumably just in case the reality is less attractive.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

When did we get so stupid and racist as a country?

quote:

“The objective – I quote from Sir John A. Macdonald, our revered forefather – was to ‘take the Indian out of the child,’ and thus solve what was referred to as the Indian problem. ‘Indianness’ was not to be tolerated; rather it must be eliminated.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I have hella hosed eyes(and each eye is hosed in a different way, to a different degree), and a really wide head. Tell me again about how it'll be so much cheaper an easier to get something sight unseen that will fir my wierd rear end head, and also not give me blinding headaches.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

You could always just get some kind of goggle so that you never have to worry about fit again.

And you'll be all set if you ever want to go swimming.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Prescription diving bells dot com. Someone fire up the kickstarter.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MohawkSatan posted:

I have hella hosed eyes(and each eye is hosed in a different way, to a different degree), and a really wide head. Tell me again about how it'll be so much cheaper an easier to get something sight unseen that will fir my wierd rear end head, and also not give me blinding headaches.

Well, your optometrist gives you a thingy called a "prescription" that you give to the people that manufacture your lenses, so they know exactly how your eyes are hosed and how to correct for that. Presumably, you could measure your weird-rear end head to see if a given pair of frames will fit, but even if you cannot, given that you can get glasses online for 10% of the price of buying them in a store, you can afford to gently caress up a couple times before getting it right. You could also try on frames at a store, and then order the same ones online from someone that will only charge a fraction of the price!

Fair point. I suppose there's also Japanese internment, the Komagata Maru, residential schools, starlight tours, etc. that we can look to as well. I feel like we should be doing better now, though, considering so much of our self-image is wrapped up in being multi-cultural.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I bought my regular glasses in a store, while I'm going to get a cheap pair of prescription sunglasses from the internet because I would only wear them while driving. Life. Hacked.

Though I really do wish vision was covered, I know far too many people who couldn't afford glasses that really, really needed them. Farsightedness runs in my family and the lenses are much more expensive/thick/heavy than the equivalent power in nearsightedness. While technology has made it easier to make good/thin/cheaper lenses its still pretty dramatic. My mom's glasses for her okay-ish farsighted eyes are twice as much as my dad's lovely nearsighted eyes. I got one eye each and its always a pain getting glasses. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
This is what I am getting complaints and angry emails about

Alot of is "boys will be boys" "the sluts made it up for fun/money/hate men/etc" or "the women are at fault"

I am loving done right now. Need a job outside of politics asap

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think the Conservatives are hosed right now, because without the presence of Dear Leader to shut up the wingnuts who would complain about things like "investigating sexual harassment," the party and its supporters will go completely insane.

I mean, what sort of lovely person do you have to be to be against the investigation of sexual harassment complaints? I really think the conservatives (small and big C) have gone over the loving deep end over the past few years. I don't remember them being nearly this batshit insane last time I voted CPC.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
An easy thing to do is measure a previous pair of glasses, plug the dimensions into the online store, and it brings up a bunch of pairs in that range. Has worked flawlessly in my experience.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

I think the Conservatives are hosed right now, because without the presence of Dear Leader to shut up the wingnuts who would complain about things like "investigating sexual harassment," the party and its supporters will go completely insane.

I mean, what sort of lovely person do you have to be to be against the investigation of sexual harassment complaints? I really think the conservatives (small and big C) have gone over the loving deep end over the past few years. I don't remember them being nearly this batshit insane last time I voted CPC.

Harper ruled the party with an iron fist. There are going to be some really "interesting" opinions coming out of the CPC woodwork now that he's gone.

Looking forward to the eventual split between the "lets be just like the liberals but a tiny bit more right" and the "ABORTION EVIL KILL MUSLIMS" factions in the days to come.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

The Butcher posted:

Harper ruled the party with an iron fist. There are going to be some really "interesting" opinions coming out of the CPC woodwork now that he's gone.

Looking forward to the eventual split between the "lets be just like the liberals but a tiny bit more right" and the "ABORTION EVIL KILL MUSLIMS" factions in the days to come.

So, PC and reform pretty much.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Slightly Toasted posted:

Well duh?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Slightly Toasted posted:

Yes, but I think the political climate of the country has shifted since the Reform party started making gains. For one thing, there are Liberal ridings in Calgary again, and I'm guessing there'd be more than a few more if the lunatic fringe of the CPC or a neo-Reform party started to gain power. There are enough close ridings that, if either the PC wing of the party or the Reform wing of the party weren't able or willing to come together, the Liberals could make further gains. This was decidedly not the case when the Reform/CA/CPC counted every riding in Calgary as safe. Calgary-Shepherd might still be safe for a neo-Reform party, but Calgary-Signal Hill would be in extreme danger. Perhaps even Calgary-Heritage, considering any conservative candidate would no longer have the inherent advantage of running the PM in that riding.

The only way out for the CPC at this point is to swing slightly to the left on social issues while maintaining hardcore economic conservatism, and to silence the loonies who go on about gays burning in a lake of fire. If they don't elect a leader that's willing and able to do that, they are going to be very hosed for a very long time.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Is there any organization or party pushing to increase minimum vacation time? My employer gives two weeks in year 1 and then three weeks until year 10. And this isn't a retailer or something like that - it's a fairly large engineering, environmental and planning consultancy. Is this the life that most people lead?

I was talking to a German friend about it and they were unwilling to believe that my vacation time was so small - their legal minimum is something like six weeks. :sigh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah north Americans are hosed with vacation time and maternity leave. And we like it! We're not lazy like those loving europeans. More than a couple weeks vacation??? You want to end up like Greece?? You can't have a society where everyone's always on vacation and expecting to get paid!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
all of our labour laws are comically weak

ontario doesnt even have a 40 hour work week. its 44 hours

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

The only way out for the CPC at this point is to swing slightly to the left on social issues while maintaining hardcore economic conservatism, and to silence the loonies who go on about gays burning in a lake of fire. If they don't elect a leader that's willing and able to do that, they are going to be very hosed for a very long time.

Being progressive on social issues and conservative on economic issues has been a strategy for thirty years running and is getting a little long in the tooth these days, which is why recent succesful Liberal campaigns have tended to rely more on promises to increase government spending and raise taxes, and to reverse (or in teh case of an incumbent government like Wynne, to prevent) Tory cuts to services.

As the average age of the country rises more and more baby boomers are relying on public healthcare and other services to look after themselvse or their aging parents. And most people see the solution to gridlock as more spending on transit. And a lot of people are worried about themselves or their children getting jobs an a lovely economy and are thus more receptive to activist government interventions that will create jobs.

The NDP has pretty much tried to be the fiscally conservative but socially responsible and progressive party and it's been a disaster for them. If anything the Conservatives were aided by their socially conservative policies because it motivated their base. This idea that a fiscally conservative policy book is the way to win an election in Canada in 2015 seems misguided to me: you might be able to win despite having a fiscally conservative platform but I can't imagine anyone winning because of such a platform.

Even Rob Ford, who did campaign on a hard right fiscal platform, actually promised that he wouldn't cut services. And he originally lost support not because of crack (that came way latter) but because he tried to cut the budget for libraries and firefighters.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

The NDP has pretty much tried to be the fiscally conservative but socially responsible and progressive party and it's been a disaster for them. If anything the Conservatives were aided by their socially conservative policies because it motivated their base. This idea that a fiscally conservative policy book is the way to win an election in Canada in 2015 seems misguided to me: you might be able to win despite having a fiscally conservative platform but I can't imagine anyone winning because of such a platform.

While I do agree with the bulk of what you've said here, the NDP had a much tougher road than the CPC would to sell a fiscally conservative platform, because no one who wanted fiscal conservatism trusted them to deliver. A revitalized PC party would have a much easier time selling that platform. Would it be enough to win? You're right, it probably wouldn't be; still, the NDP's lack of success is a different matter. They weren't trusted, they were still strongly against pipeline building, etc. These are problems that probably would not afflict a version of the CPC that moved away from evangelical Christian nonsense and tough-on-crime bullshit.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

The CPC has basically been about paying enough lip-service to "lake of fire" conservatives to maintain the western/Reform vote-base, while basically being not-Liberal enough to get the conservative and/or swing voters in Ontario, and form a majority that way. I'm sure this isn't news to anyone, but I figured I'd mention it.

I think my point is, Reform was always a western version of the BQ; a regional party that people in other parts strongly disliked. I'm pretty sure short of a whole lot of people dying off or spontaneously having a radical change in their social views, we're leading into another round of western alienation, particularly if Trudeau fucks anything up in the slightest, or even if he enacts national legislation that is regionally unpopular. I'm not sure anything in the platform of the Liberals would fit that description, but I also don't make a point of keeping my finger on the pulse of "lake of fire" conservatism, so I dunno..

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Tsyni posted:

An easy thing to do is measure a previous pair of glasses, plug the dimensions into the online store, and it brings up a bunch of pairs in that range. Has worked flawlessly in my experience.

I've been reading glasses chat and thought I should weigh in with a different experience. My prescription used to be wonky as hell; I have a specific type of astigmatism that is very difficult to correct. If the lenses or glasses are a slight bit off I used to get massive headaches. My optometrist went through three separate sets of lenses, each with different technology before finding one that worked properly.

I've since had PRK surgery and things are much better and I don't need glasses any more. Take home message is not everyone can feasibly use the online prescription sites. Perhaps my prescription was unique but I doubt it.

So while most people can save money shopping online not everyone can. I feel there still is a need for a national eye care plan that includes glasses/lenses and checkups, which really isn't anything different from what anyone else has said.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

P.d0t posted:

The CPC has basically been about paying enough lip-service to "lake of fire" conservatives to maintain the western/Reform vote-base, while basically being not-Liberal enough to get the conservative and/or swing voters in Ontario, and form a majority that way. I'm sure this isn't news to anyone, but I figured I'd mention it.

I think my point is, Reform was always a western version of the BQ; a regional party that people in other parts strongly disliked. I'm pretty sure short of a whole lot of people dying off or spontaneously having a radical change in their social views, we're leading into another round of western alienation, particularly if Trudeau fucks anything up in the slightest, or even if he enacts national legislation that is regionally unpopular. I'm not sure anything in the platform of the Liberals would fit that description, but I also don't make a point of keeping my finger on the pulse of "lake of fire" conservatism, so I dunno..

I don't know about that, though. The fact that Trudeau has gained seats in Alberta makes me think that perhaps (urban) Alberta is moving past its history. The Western base isn't what it once was. We're still a bunch of rednecks, but I think we're becoming rednecks that want nice things and don't care if two guys decide to gently caress. The Keystone decision from Obama came at the best possible time for Trudeau, since he can claim he was a strong supporter thereof without having to deal with the fallout on either side, and I don't think the oilfield types out here can blame him for a drat thing. He's in a very good position now, and barring an unforced error by the Liberals, the CPC is going to need to do some serious recalculations of how they're going to progress in the West. Without a solid handle on Alberta and a decent showing the rest of Western Canada, the CPC does not have a path to a majority, and provided JT has a successful four years in office, the Liberals only stand to gain further here -- especially if there's dissent in the ranks of the CPC or their lunatics finally start sounding off.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Calgary is just a big enough city that it has reached critical urban mass and no longer shares much with the rural areas. Class rural vs urban divide.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

I don't know about that, though. The fact that Trudeau has gained seats in Alberta makes me think that perhaps (urban) Alberta is moving past its history. The Western base isn't what it once was. We're still a bunch of rednecks, but I think we're becoming rednecks that want nice things and don't care if two guys decide to gently caress.

Yeah, like metro-Calgary is pretty progressive, but also ultra white-collar and big-business. For a lot of Calgarians, conservatism isn't about "hatin' the gays" (which seems to be the drum you always bang) but it's more of "we cheer for this team" kinda thing, or like I said, it's the business-types who want lower taxes and poo poo like that. To put Calgary's supposed growing progressiveness into perspective, I think the only reason the Wildrose didn't win any ridings in Calgary in the last provincial election, is because we're the only place that actually believed voting PC was the only way to stop the NDP. Case in point: with an NDP majority already in place, Prentice's riding went handily Wildrose in the byelection.

The more interesting consideration, I think, is if the ANDP fucks up bad; if anything, the election showed that at the federal level, the right-wing vote is still pretty solid. If there's an Alberta backlash against left-ish parties in general, the federal Liberal gains in Calgary might not last through the next federal election.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

I mean, what sort of lovely person do you have to be to be against the investigation of sexual harassment complaints?

http://avoiceformen.com

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Calgary is just a big enough city that it has reached critical urban mass and no longer shares much with the rural areas. Class rural vs urban divide.

It hasn't shared a lot with rural areas for a long while now, it was the oil/business vote that was pushing us Conservative. If the Liberals treat the energy industry, and business in general, decently (and I suspect they will), CPC support in Calgary will erode further. I was talking to a friend of mine, and he said he was voting Conservative, but I think it was more of a vote for the status quo than anything else. He agreed with me that the cultural issues that the CPC were wont to promulgate were nonsensical, so I think people like him could easily shift their allegiance if the next four years go smoothly. Really, everything depends on how JT's prime ministership goes. If it goes decently or well, I expect the Liberals to be dominant for quite a while. If things start going awry, maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

P.d0t posted:

Yeah, like metro-Calgary is pretty progressive, but also ultra white-collar and big-business. For a lot of Calgarians, conservatism isn't about "hatin' the gays" (which seems to be the drum you always bang) but it's more of "we cheer for this team" kinda thing, or like I said, it's the business-types who want lower taxes and poo poo like that. To put Calgary's supposed growing progressiveness into perspective, I think the only reason the Wildrose didn't win any ridings in Calgary in the last provincial election, is because we're the only place that actually believed voting PC was the only way to stop the NDP. Case in point: with an NDP majority already in place, Prentice's riding went handily Wildrose in the byelection.

The more interesting consideration, I think, is if the ANDP fucks up bad; if anything, the election showed that at the federal level, the right-wing vote is still pretty solid. If there's an Alberta backlash against left-ish parties in general, the federal Liberal gains in Calgary might not last through the next federal election.

I agree. The difference is that I think the CPC is going to be in the weeds if they elect a less savvy leader than Harper, which they probably will. All of a sudden, as long as the Liberals are friendly enough to business (and based on the selection of FinMin, I'm going to guess they will be), the CPC stops being the obvious safe choice. As everyone in the thread was eager to point out, the Liberals aren't a truly leftist party, and I think that's why they'll be able to toe the line and hold (even improve) their showing in Calgary. It's too early to say what the landscape will be like in the next election, but I see a lot more minefields for the CPC to cross at this point than I do for the Liberals.