Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Timely reminder that everywhere and every time, the popular press has always been bad.

pre:
Ich bin ein Kohlkopf, kennt Ihr meine Blätter?                   I am a cabbage head, have you seen my papers?
Ich weiss vor Sorgen zwar nicht aus noch ein,                    Worry has left me confused and hopeless
doch halt ich still und hoff auf einen Retter.                   so I stay quiet and hope for a saviour.
Ich will ein schwarz-rot-goldener Kohlkopf sein!                 I want to be a black, red and golden cabbage head!
Ich will nichts seh'n und höhren,                                I don't want to see or hear anything,
                    das Staatsgeschäft nicht stören.                                 or disturb the affairs of state.
Und zieht man mich auch bis auf's Hemde aus                      Though you take the shirt from my back
dir Rote Presse kommt mir nicht ins Haus.                        I'll never allow the Red Press in my house.

WER BÜRGERBLÄTTER LIEST WIRD BLIND UND TAUB                      THOSE WHO READ THE PAPERS OF THE BOURGEOISIE BECOME BLIND AND DEAF
WEG MIT DEN VERDUMMUNGSBANDAGEN!                                 BE RID OF THE BANDAGES OF IGNORANCE!
(Apologies for the slightly rough translation, German readers!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-eu-referendum-is-just-a-civil-war-between-two-separate-factions-of-the-british-business-class-509

quote:

A referendum is supposed to be the purest form of direct democracy: no parties, no representatives, just the entire population of the country coming together to make their will clear. Actually, it's nothing of the sort. The EU referendum is a civil war between two factions of the British business classes, and the rest of us have been drafted in to get mowed down on the front lines.

What's really incredible is how little they've done to hide this fact. Amid all the guff about how supporting the EU is the most patriotic thing to do – an attempt by corporate replicants to outdo Ukip's frenzied and frothing nationalism; a tactic that failed almost before it began – Britain Stronger in Europe also released a video outlining their general message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkSf7XSr2CI

Over the kind of emotional music usually reserved for making people all teary-eyed about sofas or mobile phones, the clip manages to squeeze into a mere two minutes testimonies from seven different businesspeople.

There's Carolyn McCall, the CEO of EasyJet, smugly stroking a big model airplane as she chats about how easy her life is. There's Frazer Thompson, CEO of Chapel Down, gormlessly slouching like a big overgrown weed in the middle of one of his vineyards. And, with dread inevitability, there's Richard Branson, who gazes heroically into the future with a noble stillness that makes him look like his own waxwork. (To be fair, there are also brief bits from the chair of Universities UK, a student who likes backpacking on the Continent and a cop.) The message is clear: the bosses of Britain are your betters; they want us to stay in the EU – and you, lowly ingrate, are to do as they say.

Meanwhile, Vote Leave Take Control boasts that its dedicated Business Board includes such luminaries as Tesco's former Chief Executive of Central European Clothing, and insists that "some of the most successful businesspeople in Britain have spoken out in favour of leaving the EU".

While they make some vague gestures to building decentred social movements and so on, they're also at pains to point out that they've "instituted a strict salary cap of £99,000, so those giving money to the campaign know that the money is going to the campaign – not to huge six-figure salaries". It's true: £99,000 is not a six-figure salary, it's just 99 percent of a six-figure salary. It's also, incidentally, nearly four times the average British wage, and plonks an extra third on top of the £74,000 we give to those nasty money-grubbing MPs. Clearly we're meant to applaud this, but it's hard to escape the feeling that the people who think it's a display of heroic selflessness haven't set foot in the real world for a very long time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Burgerblatter is a wonderful word.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

I mean I been loving saying it - the left and the people in general do not have a dog in this specific fight. The fight is between two different sets of gangsters who each want to snatch the lion's share of poor-loving from the other.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Which option would make the most wealthy businessmans cry?

Other than the guillotine.

OwlFancier posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't remember the alt codes for umlauts and boorgerblehtter doesn't look right.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Trickjaw posted:

It just occurred to me watching repeat of the ceremony, thank God no party leader with less than six seats can participate. Imagine what big Nige would have made of it.

pouring a sip on the concrete for my homies

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

I can't remember the alt codes for umlauts and boorgerblehtter doesn't look right.

On Windows, ü: Alt + 0252, ä: Alt + 0228.

Bürgerblatt can also just mean "citizens' newspaper", like just the local press, but I've seen it translated this way too and in context it makes more sense. Also there's probably a more colloquially meaningful translation of Kohlkopf but cabbage head is a funny insult imo.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'd just like to add a little more cynicism to Remembrance Sunday, but I need a senior military man to debate it with. Has anybody seen the general?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

baka kaba posted:

They talk in the language of authoritarianism because that's what they are. The UK is under threat at all times, and only the vigilance and unwavering resolve of a conservative government will hold it together and protect you, with tough but necessary sacrifices like cutting welfare or rights. Anyone who opposes us in any way is the true enemy

This is precisely what I was thinking, there is something oddly fascistic in people closely watching Jeremy Corbyn's every gesture and expression. It strikes me that really all they want to do when they complain about him not singing the national anthem or not bowing correctly is to police his thoughts. You punish someone for symbolic behaviour because you want to crush the thoughts behind that symbolic behaviour. That's a fascist impulse in this case. The Tories may not do that specifically, just vile people in the media, but they don't help by screaming names at him until his complete unacceptability in the eyes of the public sticks, and he's forced to live in the Shetlands due to the sheer opprobrium

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Picking the weekend of the Myanmar elections to to have miliatry figure abuse his position to intrude into civilian politics is some good stuff.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Oberleutnant posted:

I mean I been loving saying it - the left and the people in general do not have a dog in this specific fight. The fight is between two different sets of gangsters who each want to snatch the lion's share of poor-loving from the other.

One's way more fun than the other. If we leave Scotland gets another referendum (at least I think that's the idea) and Cameron gets to be the guy that proceeded over the destruction of the Union. And also hosed a pig. I'm down with Scottish independence purely as a force of chaos and destruction.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

One's way more fun than the other. If we leave Scotland gets another referendum (at least I think that's the idea) and Cameron gets to be the guy that proceeded over the destruction of the Union. And also hosed a pig. I'm down with Scottish independence purely as a force of chaos and destruction.
Today Brussels, tomorrow Westminster, the day after Holyrood, before the weekend the county councils. Top down obliteration of hierarchy. I like it, although it'll probably end up with us owned by Serco. Although that's no less likely under the current arrangement I guess.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Trickjaw posted:

Yes. The card on the wreath was measured, respectful and hopeful. But you'll likely not see anything mentioned about it.
Hah! Just how wrong are you?

Some incandescent shitwizard at the Telegraph posted:

The Labour leader's message in his wreath contained an appeal to remember the fallen "in all wars" and was not directed specifically at Britain's war dead.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...nce-Sunday.html

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Corbyn does another Good Thing. One of the most offensive things about Remembrance Day and the main reason I wouldn't wear a red poppy is that it is all exclusively about British (and sometimes Allied) war dead. As though the losses of other nations are any less a tragedy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jesus gently caress. British Nationalism is loving scary.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

OwlFancier posted:

not as good as Verdummungsbandagen

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OvineYeast posted:

not as good as Verdummungsbandagen
Or Luftkissenfahrzeug.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jesus gently caress. British Nationalism is loving scary.
Anything centered around the sanctity of the nation-state is scary.

"But that said, it is his right not to bow and the people he was there to remember fought for our rights to do, or not to do, anything." is a point that doesn't get made enough, although it glosses over that a lot of them fought for other things.
I remember a couple of years ago when the WWI revisionism kicked up a notch and there was the poppy burning case, people were literally saying "these people died for our freedom" and "poppy burners need locking up" in the same rant.

Unrelated:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"They fought because we would have locked them up otherwise" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, carte blanche for war crimes. :stare:

From what I've heard getting rid of the Human Rights Act will raise constitutional problems (actual, not imagined) with the devolved governments, especially Northern Ireland, as it is a part of the Good Friday agreement. So while I am admittedly no professional, as far as I can tell "they want to gently caress up the Good Friday agreement so they can protect British soldiers from being prosecuted for war crimes" is an accurate statement. :allears:

Regarde Aduck posted:

Britain must leave the EU, Scotland must leave the UK and Northern Ireland must burn. Chaos reigns, but people still vote Tory anyway.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Trickjaw posted:

It just occurred to me watching repeat of the ceremony, thank God no party leader with less than six seats can participate. Imagine what big Nige would have made of it.

Didn't they have a hissy fit about that and write to the Queen to complain about it recently? I'm sure I read that somewhere the other day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps everyone's just really accelerationist.

And also don't really understand the word which explains the popularity of top gear.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kaislioc posted:

From what I've heard getting rid of the Human Rights Act will raise constitutional problems (actual, not imagined) with the devolved governments, especially Northern Ireland, as it is a part of the Good Friday agreement. So while I am admittedly no professional, as far as I can tell "they want to gently caress up the Good Friday agreement so they can protect British soldiers from being prosecuted for war crimes" is an accurate statement. :allears:
It'll give them more opportunity to commit them.

OwlFancier posted:

"They fought because we would have locked them up otherwise" doesn't really have the same ring to it.
Not all of them. Some of them fought because they were already in the army because there were no other jobs, others because propaganda is an effective tool, and others because they were told it'd be an adventure, and impartial news from the front was hard to come by.

There's no way to encompass the breadth of reasons why all fought without doing a disservice to some, although "to knowingly or unknowingly further the interests of the capital classes and the construct of the state" would serve as a background for many of the reasons.

We seem to have settled on 'are freedoms' though, such as the freedom to not be spied on without good reason, the freedom to sit on someone's face on camera, the freedom to grow all kinds of plants, and the freedom to burn paper flowers.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Kaislioc posted:

From what I've heard getting rid of the Human Rights Act will raise constitutional problems (actual, not imagined) with the devolved governments, especially Northern Ireland, as it is a part of the Good Friday agreement. So while I am admittedly no professional, as far as I can tell "they want to gently caress up the Good Friday agreement so they can protect British soldiers from being prosecuted for war crimes" is an accurate statement. :allears:.

Not like a whole lot of that was going on with the HRA in place, to be fair.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

OwlFancier posted:

"They fought because we would have locked shot them up otherwise" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did they have firing squad as punishment for not agreeing to sign up back then? I wasn't sure.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They fought for your freedom and your rights, also we're getting rid of the human rights act and increasing domestic spying powers. But everybody pay attention to the old man who didn't bend over enough for the pricks in favour of all that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Firing squad was reserved for desertion, cowardice, and post-traumatic stress.

Conscientious objectors usually got prison or went to the front anyway in non-combat roles. And mockery, because going out to rescue the wounded instead of shooting people makes you worthy of derision.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jesus. I can't even understand that mindset. Perhaps the Dutch king should have got a shoeing for being there? I also saw, you know, dark people there.

Is this country getting thicker or just nastier?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

Jesus. I can't even understand that mindset. Perhaps the Dutch king should have got a shoeing for being there? I also saw, you know, dark people there.

It's the Telegraph. They're just letting it show more.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kaislioc posted:

There's an argument that, as the HRA fundamentally underpins the Good Friday Agreement treaty, the Government of Ireland may also need to be consulted to fulfill treaty obligations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Trickjaw posted:

Can't it be both? It's both. :smith:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Trickjaw posted:

It's gotten considerably meaner since the election, I think. A conservative majority has really emboldened the most evil of our society and having Corbyn as contrast is really highlighting it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

We seem to have settled on 'are freedoms' though, such as the freedom to not be spied on without good reason, the freedom to sit on someone's face on camera, the freedom to grow all kinds of plants, and the freedom to burn paper flowers.

Because suggesting that people's loved ones died propping up what has always been at best a morally grey establishment is never going to be a popular move, regardless of what other good you may acknowledge them to have possibly been doing depending on their individual circumstances.

God forbid you suggest they died for nothing at all. When Chilcot comes out I fully expect Iraq war widows to be some of its biggest detractors, because saying "your fellas shouldn't even have been there, because the war was both pointless and illegal" has the potential to rather abruptly kick the legs out from under the justifications many of them have been using to cope with their loss (ie that the servicemen in question were at least doing their bit for a solid cause).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The version I was told by my grandparents about my great-grandfathers is that they were told it was for God, King, and Country, or that it'd all be over in a matter of months, or that it would be an adventure full of excitement and a chance to see new places. And that they were misled and afterwards would never speak a word about what happened, or died rather quickly from disease and injury after coming home.

I never heard WWI described in terms of 'freedoms' until fairly recently, it was always even at its most charitable about 'duty'.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden
I'm told my (Irish) Great-granddad went into the British Army during WWI but was apparently bullied out of it for being Catholic. No idea about his motivations but I'm guessing King and Country didn't have much to do with it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The version I was told by my grandparents about my great-grandfathers is that they were told it was for God, King, and Country, or that it'd all be over in a matter of months, or that it would be an adventure full of excitement and a chance to see new places. And that they were misled and afterwards would never speak a word about what happened, or died rather quickly from disease and injury after coming home.

I never heard WWI described in terms of 'freedoms' until fairly recently, it was always even at its most charitable about 'duty'.

I think you'll find that's all just lefty teachers and Blackadder that's responsible for that myth and actually everyone had a really good time and were proud to be serving the cause of protecting their better's investments abroad. There was nobody named Harry Patch and he certainly never said this:

quote:

We weren’t heroes. We didn’t want to be there. We were scared, we all were, all the time. Any man who tells you he wasn’t is a drat liar. Life in the trenches was dirty, lousy and unsanitary. The barrages that proceeded battle were one long nightmare and when you went over the top it was just mud, more mud mixed with blood and you struggled through it with dead bodies all around you, any one of whom could have been me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

So all technically true then, the best kind of bastardry

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OvineYeast posted:

I'm told my (Irish) Great-granddad went into the British Army during WWI but was apparently bullied out of it for being Catholic. No idea about his motivations but I'm guessing King and Country didn't have much to do with it.
I'm told they worship a Sun-God too. :sun: (Or Mary, or Ba'al, depending on which brand of crazy is talking.)

Bringing pride to your family if you did and bringing shame to them if you didn't was a part of it too.

The idea that the Kaiser had stolen all of are freedoms and buried them in a ditch in Belgium never seemed to enter into any of the discourse though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

The idea that the Kaiser had stolen all of are freedoms and buried them in a ditch in Belgium never seemed to enter into any of the discourse though.

He was trying to do an empire, but that was our idea first and he just nicked it. WWI was fought to protect our copyright on the concept of a global monopoly on bastardry.

• Locked thread