Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was driving my folks' car and pulled up behind someone who was obviously looking down at something when the light turned green. I honked, she looked up and drove away, and my mom yelled at me for honking because I was stressing out the other person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GxSsPFYv9A

http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/11/05/guardrail-impales-vehicle-in-crash/

Alcohol or cell phone?

alcohol :cheers:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

PT6A posted:

Do you not have a horn? People in front of me get a 2-second grace period from the light turning green to when their brake lights go off, or they get notified by way of my horn that they are holding up traffic, until such time as they move their asses.

Considering the recent spate of road rage shootouts, I don't bother with the horn. If at all possible, I simply maneuver around the person and go about my merry way. Leave the idiots to be dealt with by other idiots.

By the way, don't be the guy (or in this case, gal) who decides to cruise alongside a school bus at about 5 under the limit in the passing lane. Which meant that she had to stop whenever the bus stop. Which meant traffic jamming the gently caress up for a good 1/4-mile, since no one could get past her or the bus. And don't get incensed when someone finally gets fed up with the poo poo and gives you a light horn tap so you can wake the gently caress up, pass the loving bus and let everyone else through.

God really does look after fools and drunks, doesn't he?

Darwin would have had that oval office's head for an ornament.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

People who cruise along in the left lane and are afraid to pass the truck/bus/whatever other vehicle bigger than a car in the middle lane. Seriously people, learn how big your giant SUV is or stay out of the left lane.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Guy tried to drive a minibus into the parking garage this morning, wedged it into the ceiling of course. Also managed to be directly in the middle of the driving area so nobody could get around. Awesome :waycool:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wish there was a picture to accompany this.

Center lane of I-10 in the Phoenix area.... so lane 3 out of 5?

Super foggy conditions on I-10 in the Florida Panhandle this AM and some genius was heading west in the eastbound lanes, scaring the poo poo out of me heading east.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This morning on the way to work on KJZZ: "Watch out for the 60 Eastbound at Alma School Road. There is a lot of debris that used to be a couch."

Also I'm sorry to anybody between the 143 and St Joeseph's Hospital in Phoenix today between 5 and 6 PM tonight: I was the rear end in a top hat in the ambulance taking the apneic guy Code 3 (lights/sirens) who spent more than 50% of the time driving slowly in opposing traffic. I-10 West had three accidents and said it would take 40 minutes to get to the 3rd street exit, but surface streets was only 30. Using lights/sirens and taking the suicide and opposing lanes when necessary (like gridlock with medians) I cut it down to 14 minutes.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

go3 posted:

Yeah I routinely encounter people who do 70 in a 75 but when it slows to 55 and 50 as we enter town they just keep plowing away at 70. Like, what the gently caress.

That's common. Slow drivers aren't safe like they probably think, they're just bad at driving.
I don't know if it happens over there, (or you even have them), but down here on single lane 2 way roads, out in the country there's overtaking lanes every 5km, so you just have to wait behind slow drivers for one of these extra added lanes. Without fail, the slow driver out front holding everybody up will always speed up during these short 500m long overtaking lanes, then slow back down again. Often they don't slow down from 110/100/90km/hrwhile driving through towns which are two lanes but 60/70km/hr too so you can't use that time to pass them either.
They are just brain dead morons that don't want anybody in front of them, and will just stick to a cruising speed that suits them.

E: same for roadwork speed restrictions, they often don't care for them either. They just want a line of cars behind them.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 7, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday evening I was on the highway trying to get home from work relatively quickly since my wife wasn't home and the dogs needed let out/fed, so when I saw there was about a quarter mile of empty lane on the right and a line of traffic doing 60 in the left (55 limit) I undertook the left lane at about 70, reached a point where there was someone in the right lane, and the head of the left lane line was a few car lengths back so there was plenty of space to change lanes and get around, put my left turn signal on, and the guy at the top of the pack stood on the gas to close the gap so I couldn't.

I looked to the left and he was doing the "you're a wanker" motion and grinning like an idiot.

He proceeded to not let me just loving get around the guy in the right lane and kept the whole highway doing not a hair above 5 over until my exit came up a few miles later, where, as I was exiting, I saw him take off at what must have been 90+.

Everyone tells me I can't possibly run into this many assholes in a given day and I must be doing something to provoke them. How does nobody else notice all these assholes?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm going to hazard a guess that he wasn't an rear end in a top hat to all the people who weren't going 70 in a 55?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Pretty certain when our robot overlords take over their weapon of choice will be armco

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wayfinder posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess that he wasn't an rear end in a top hat to all the people who weren't going 70 in a 55?

He was in the far left lane doing a hair over the limit holding up a line of traffic behind him so... yes he was?

Stow the holier than thou bullshit, buddy. This is a stretch of highway where, if no one's holding up the line of traffic, the left lane is generally doing 80-90

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 7, 2015

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I drive the 55/65 mph Tristate Tollway out of Chicago into Wisconsin through the suburbs at least once a week. All of the soccer moms in BMW SUVs are pre-programmed to cross solid white lines and aggressively merge before their lane is indicated to do so. They then proceed to careen 4 lanes to the left because someone told them it was the fast lane, and they go 70-75. Consequently, I stay in the stark empty far right lane and set the cruise control to 85+, occasionally popping one lane to the left to pass a cargo truck.

I am the much faster person you share the road with

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PCOS Bill posted:

Everyone tells me I can't possibly run into this many assholes in a given day and I must be doing something to provoke them. How does nobody else notice all these assholes?

If you consistently rub into tons of assholes every day, I've got some bad news for you…

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
People who think they are policing the freeway by limiting the speed in the far left lane actually exist and Are apparently quite proud of the "service" they provide.

There were a few of these winners who posted to that effect when local media was doing a story about the govt making it illegal to sit in a passing lane and hold up traffic. These knobs emerged and filled up the comment boards with "the speed limit is posted! It is my right to drive it in whatever lane I want etc etc"

Safest thing to do on the freeway is to have lots of space between cars so letting the fast ones by and getting away from slowarses should be the name of the game.

Another unrelated stupid driving thing I see a lot out in my burbs is people hauling rear end up to a 4 way stop and then taking the initiative to rocket through after a cursory stop whether or not it is their turn. It's like the speed at which you approach gives you the right of way or something. I don't accelerate to stops like a loving moron so they try this poo poo with me a lot and I get on the horn if they blow thru the intersection but not much else you can do short of t-boning them. (Secret dream of mine)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

PCOS Bill posted:

Everyone tells me I can't possibly run into this many assholes in a given day and I must be doing something to provoke them.

Maybe they read your posts.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If you consistently rub into tons of assholes every day, I've got some bad news for you…

Yeah, I'm surrounded by assholes, I already know.

Dick Trauma posted:

Maybe they read your posts.

Go take a nap in your pod.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

He was in the far left lane doing a hair over the limit holding up a line of traffic behind him so... yes he was?

Stow the holier than thou bullshit, buddy. This is a stretch of highway where, if no one's holding up the line of traffic, the left lane is generally doing 80-90

Well, see if you can get it included in the highway code that 25-50% faster than the suggested limit is necessary and anything less is basically duress. It's like when you're having a burger. The menu says $8, but with tax and tip it's more like $14.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

priznat posted:

People who think they are policing the freeway by limiting the speed in the far left lane actually exist and Are apparently quite proud of the "service" they provide.

It's the old George Carlin bit. Anyone driving faster than you is a maniac, anyone driving slower is a moron. Apply universally to everyone on the road and their particular favorite driving speed.

"Look at these maniacs driving 65 in a 55 zone! Don't they understand the speed limit? I've always wanted to feel like I'm in charge -- I'll show them!"

Or, on the other side,

"Look at this moron driving 25 in a school zone! Doesn't he know people have to get to work on time? There aren't even any kids around right now! I'll show him!"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 7, 2015

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Really just by getting out of the way of a faster car the problems solve themselves.. The fast maniacs will be gone down the road and the slow morons will be far behind..

I'm happiest when I'm cruising along on a freeway with no one nearby in front or behind, that's the best. Holding up folks for the sake of holding them up is just bizarre.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
An entitled motorcyclist and dog owner? Who'd of guessed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

go3 posted:

An entitled motorcyclist

You mean there's another kind?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Hoot of guest

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

go3 posted:

An entitled motorcyclist and dog owner? Who'd of guessed.

Ah yes, I must be entitled to be annoyed by someone blocking a quarter mile of backed up traffic to play Vigilante Traffic Warden/Rolling Roadblock

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

If you turn left on a green with oncoming straight traffic entering the intersection and cause an accident you deserve to lose your license, forever and ever and ever.

This happens to me all the time when I'm on my motorcycle. "I'm bigger than you" driving logic.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

Yesterday evening I was on the highway trying to get home from work relatively quickly since my wife wasn't home and the dogs needed let out/fed, so when I saw there was about a quarter mile of empty lane on the right and a line of traffic doing 60 in the left (55 limit) I undertook the left lane at about 70, reached a point where there was someone in the right lane, and the head of the left lane line was a few car lengths back so there was plenty of space to change lanes and get around, put my left turn signal on, and the guy at the top of the pack stood on the gas to close the gap so I couldn't.

I looked to the left and he was doing the "you're a wanker" motion and grinning like an idiot.

He proceeded to not let me just loving get around the guy in the right lane and kept the whole highway doing not a hair above 5 over until my exit came up a few miles later, where, as I was exiting, I saw him take off at what must have been 90+.

Your mistake was signaling, unfortunately. You pretty much just have to get around them before they realize what's happening.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah you've gotta do the New England Turn Signal. That's where you hit the signal stalk in the same motion as turning the wheel.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've seen people flash their turn signal exactly once while they were already halfway in the other lane. Why even bother at that point?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

John Dough posted:

I've seen people flash their turn signal exactly once while they were already halfway in the other lane. Why even bother at that point?

Confirming that you intended to change lanes, and aren't just wandering all over the road.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Safety Dance posted:

Confirming that you intended to change lanes, and aren't just wandering all over the road.

Considering the extreme difficulty people in my city seem to have with maintaining their lane, this would actually be a help.

Now, they're in the process of changing a one-way street to two-way with a lane reversal for about half of its length (yes, it's exactly as retarded an idea as it sounds like!). Right now, they just have orange cones with signs between the two directions of traffic, and of course the base of those cones extend literally inches into the lane, so of course, every lovely driver has to make sure they're at least two feet clear of those, and wander into the next lane. I don't think people have any idea how large (or small) their vehicles are.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

John Dough posted:

I'm guilty of the single flash whenever I drive my wifes truck. My car blinks the times with a touch and hers doesn't so I make that mistake.

Of course I try to do it before I leave my own lane.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PCOS Bill posted:

If you turn left on a green with oncoming straight traffic entering the intersection and cause an accident you deserve to lose your license, forever and ever and ever.

A little over 10 years ago I had a similar situation, almost got hit in the driver's side by some rear end in a top hat in a pickup who ran a red left arrow. He was WAY late and not even looking, I had solid green for at least 3-4 seconds before he decided he wasn't going to stop. A couple friends of mine were a couple cars behind me (didn't know at the time) and were like "dude what was that guy's problem?" and laughed because my whole arm was out the window flipping the bird while calling the offender a loving ignorant stupid piece of redneck poo poo. Didn't help that the 4 way intersection I was going through is notorious for accidents for that very reason, dipshits running red lights like they don't even exist.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I have more of a problem with people misusing signals around town than on the highway. I think it's much more dangerous to be not signalling when you're cutting across opposing lanes or making turns than when you're just shifting from one lane to the next. Plenty of times I'll be waiting an intersection for someone to take their right of way and drive through, only to have them figure out that they want to turn the opposite direction. Or on a two-lane road, someone who thinks they can make a quick left across my lane before I get there, but doesn't actually signal to indicate this intention.

Even worse, in my opinion, is the dummies who don't realize their signal is on for miles and miles in the city. I worry about getting T-boned by people driving slowly with their right blinker on, expecting them to turn into the road I'm turning out of, only to have them cruise right on just as I'm about to pull out. On my motorcycle it's gotten to where I just don't trust any indicators ever and try to watch the car's wheels and suspension angles to figure out what they're doing.

How do people not notice their signal is on like this? It's not just deaf old people from what I've seen. Texting? Blasting loud music and never looking at the dashboard?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 8, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Say a chucklehead pull this the other day to avoid a stoplight:

The light turned green immediately after he cleared the intersection, and immediately past is another light, which was red and had traffic backed up in both lanes. There was no benefit to making "two legal right turns" in a row, and yet...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Enourmo posted:

Say a chucklehead pull this the other day to avoid a stoplight:

The light turned green immediately after he cleared the intersection, and immediately past is another light, which was red and had traffic backed up in both lanes. There was no benefit to making "two legal right turns" in a row, and yet...

Out of curiosity, is that giant red circle on the road or the map program? If the former, perhaps he was trying to use it as a roundabout, because that looks confusing as gently caress and I have no idea why it would be there.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PT6A posted:

Out of curiosity, is that giant red circle on the road or the map program? If the former, perhaps he was trying to use it as a roundabout, because that looks confusing as gently caress and I have no idea why it would be there.

Yeah it's real. It's just decorative brick, it doesn't really show up, especially when it's just before sunrise like when this incident took place.

Plus it was definitely intentional, it's not like the traffic light is hard to miss. He came to a stop, then flipped his turn signal on and made his "maneuver".

E:

Plus floridians know fuckall about roundabouts.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 8, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Enourmo posted:

Yeah it's real. It's just decorative brick, it doesn't really show up, especially when it's just before sunrise like when this incident took place.

:psyduck: Wow, I 100% thought it was just the map program. If I came across a random red circle in the middle of an intersection, I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it. Isn't there a law against putting unusual markings in the road?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would just drive over it.

Without signage indicating there's something special going on, I'm going to stick to my lane.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sagebrush posted:

:psyduck: Wow, I 100% thought it was just the map program. If I came across a random red circle in the middle of an intersection, I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it. Isn't there a law against putting unusual markings in the road?

As a highway engineer, that circle is a Bad Thing to do. It makes it look like a traversable/mountable median in a roundabout. A smart person would realize that a signalized intersection wouldn't also have a roundabout, but people are not smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Devor posted:

As a highway engineer, that circle is a Bad Thing to do. It makes it look like a traversable/mountable median in a roundabout. A smart person would realize that a signalized intersection wouldn't also have a roundabout, but people are not smart.

Traffic circles can have signals, though. It's confusing as gently caress, but I have seen it (right outside the airport in Montreal, for example). The situation posted is... ambiguous to say the least. I'd like to say I'd just drive straight through, but I can understand why confusion occurs. We can blame idiot drivers for a lot, but given the intelligence of the average driver, traffic engineers really ought to strive to make things as foolproof as possible. That circle isn't doing anyone any good, and could cause confusion, so it shouldn't be there.