Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm gathering from Facebook that the taco emoji might mean something other than "this is a taco." Help? Is this just a vagina thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

jackpot posted:

I'm gathering from Facebook that the taco emoji might mean something other than "this is a taco." Help? Is this just a vagina thing?

That's the usage I've encountered

Taco emoji = vagina
Eggplant/aubergine emoji = penis

There was an article in the Guardian a while back saying that Instagram actually brought in a policy that stops you from using certain emojis as search terms because they mostly bring up nudity.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

Thanks for this, I got it sorted by population, but my issue now is that these include state populations, county populations, etc. Is there a way in Excel to say:

Anything that has 000,00000,00000,00000 in characters 8-28 is to be deleted? Or even just anything that contains the word county anywhere is to be deleted?

This is an example of the lines:
040,06,000,00000,00000,00000,0,A,California,California,37253956,37254503,37336011,37701901,38062780,38431393,38802500
050,06,037,00000,00000,00000,0,A,Los Angeles County,California,9818605,9818664,9827231,9898214,9974868,10053995,10116705
Couple of different ways to do it:

Data -> Sort by, then select all of the rows you want to delete; you'd want to use the numerical codes for that, probably.

Data -> Filter. This would let you filter out anything without "County" in it, then you could do a select all -> delete. The only problem is if there's someplace that's not a county with "county" in the name, it'll delete that, too.

EDIT: oh, I just saw you weren't saving it as a CSV. Disregard.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm a big dumb dumb who didn't save it as a csv and open it that way. I just copied and pasted, which I now know was very dumb! It seems to be easy to sort as necessary now. Thanks!

edit: poor Goss, Missouri is the only city/town/village with a population of 0. :smith: Making it 14,824/14,824 if I did this right.

You must have done a little too much trimming, because I have 638 entries with a 0 population, but a lot of them are duplicates.

Yeah, this may not give you what you're looking for, just because of all the extraneous entries.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

az posted:

Long shot, I found a toy soldier in debris originating from the bombing of Hamburg in world war two. I haven't been able to find any similar models online and nobody knew more about it so far. We assume it may be made of bone, may be handcarved and unique, or limited production. Most toy soldiers from the third Reich are poor quality mass production models, so this little guy seems to be special. He's a Luftwaffe pilot, decorated with a Ritterkreuz as far as I can make it out.
I haven't cleaned him properly yet and unfortunately he's missing his head. If anyone has any idea about its origins or knows someone who may know I'd appreciate it.

http://imgur.com/a/IJuFI

Post a picture from the side. It looks like there is a mold mark line but had to tell. Is it hollow? Looks like it might be from the hole in the rear end.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Van Dis posted:

There are actually a lot of elements of that tune that echo stuff in various Sim City soundtracks. The bassy strings are similar to those in "Building" and some of the percussion is similar to "Infrastructure" (both from Sim City 3000). The muted trumpet was also popular on that album; the track "Night Life" has some runs and fills a lot like the short runs and fills in the background of your tune. But the most striking similarity is the layering of toned percussion in the track "Arctica" on the Sim City 4 Rush Hour soundtrack. Give those a listen and see what you think.

Hm... Those tracks aren't what I'm thinking of.

The brass instruments at around 3:10 with the way they go up the scale then trail off strikes my memory the most. I don't know why, but I feel like I've definitely heard that riff when building underground in Sim City before.

Thanks for the help, though!

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
We just moved into a new house, and even though we got the old tenant's garage remote, we've heard some horror stories about her and want to make sure that all the old remotes (if there are any besides the one we got) no longer open the garage. What is the easiest way to change whatever needs to be changed to do this and then program our own remotes? We called the garage door service company on the motor and they wanted $200+ for this service, which seems like a lot; I figured there must be a way for me to do it myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RFX posted:

We just moved into a new house, and even though we got the old tenant's garage remote, we've heard some horror stories about her and want to make sure that all the old remotes (if there are any besides the one we got) no longer open the garage. What is the easiest way to change whatever needs to be changed to do this and then program our own remotes? We called the garage door service company on the motor and they wanted $200+ for this service, which seems like a lot; I figured there must be a way for me to do it myself.

You need to provide a lot more detail here, like make and model of the opener.

In fact, why not just put that information into google along with "instruction manual".

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

You need to provide a lot more detail here, like make and model of the opener.

In fact, why not just put that information into google along with "instruction manual".

I guess what I'm asking is if what I want to do is even possible? Speaking with the guys at Home Depot, they made it sound like I needed a whole new garage door motor.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Google the manual for your garage door opener.

There is a button on the opener. It probably has paragraphs of tiny print next to it. One long press will reset all codes. (The light will flash some number of times to tell you this has been achieved.)

After that, one short press will ready it to be paired with a new remote. Press the remote and the light will flash.

Repeat as needed for number of remotes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RFX posted:

I guess what I'm asking is if what I want to do is even possible? Speaking with the guys at Home Depot, they made it sound like I needed a whole new garage door motor.

It depends on the garage door opener. Look it up: you're making this harder than it needs to be.

Also, don't ask retail employees for technical advice (or at least know the quality of advice you will be getting). The people at Home Depot are not contractors/garage door installers any more than the people at AutoZone are mechanics. If the were those things they would be doing them and getting paid more for it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm noticing a few fortunate people with the same bonzi buddi av floating around. Any story behind that?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It's the new stupid newbie avatar.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This is silly but...

After seeing the name "Lexy" somewhere, the phrase "Captain Lexy" has been running around my head. Google brings up nothing - it might be a goon's username or something, but it's reminded me of something from the past that I just can't place. Anyone remember a Captain Lexy?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
When I get cash back at the bank, they have me sign this thing:

It seems hard to believe that my signature on this entirely blank document would ever be worth anything, and stand up anywhere in court, but they make me sign it ... a lot.

What gives?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

photomikey posted:

It seems hard to believe that my signature on this entirely blank document would ever be worth anything, and stand up anywhere in court, but they make me sign it ... a lot.

What gives?

It's the same thing as when you sign for a credit card transaction, it's more of a bureaucratic relic of the past then anything. Here's a podcast that really digs into the history of why we sign for stuff if you're interested in that: http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/08/29/344034815/episode-564-the-signature

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Has anyone done trigger point therapy and does it actually work? I often hear people who believe in chiropractic talk about trigger point therapy, so that makes me suspicious.

eating only apples posted:

This is silly but...

After seeing the name "Lexy" somewhere, the phrase "Captain Lexy" has been running around my head. Google brings up nothing - it might be a goon's username or something, but it's reminded me of something from the past that I just can't place. Anyone remember a Captain Lexy?

Captain Lexis is apparently a character in Guild Wars, maybe?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

photomikey posted:

What gives?

You're not really singing a blank document, your signature is going onto some manner of document authorizing the transaction (and authorizing them to charge you a fee if the check bounces and the real balance in your bank couldn't cover the cash back from the check, often enough). But since you have no need to see that, they're not going to show it to you.

At some banks, when you do this your signature will be printed on a receipt they'll give you with the withdrawal.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're not really singing a blank document, your signature is going onto some manner of document authorizing the transaction (and authorizing them to charge you a fee if the check bounces and the real balance in your bank couldn't cover the cash back from the check, often enough). But since you have no need to see that, they're not going to show it to you.

At some banks, when you do this your signature will be printed on a receipt they'll give you with the withdrawal.

It's been a while since I was in law school but how the hell can you legally authorise something by signing a document you've never seen before and have no idea of the contents of?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Organza Quiz posted:

It's been a while since I was in law school but how the hell can you legally authorise something by signing a document you've never seen before and have no idea of the contents of?

You already agreed to it when you opened your account in the first place.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jake Snake posted:

Has anyone done trigger point therapy and does it actually work? I often hear people who believe in chiropractic talk about trigger point therapy, so that makes me suspicious.

Trigger point massage is absolutely mainstream in the certified massage therapy field. It definitely helped me.

Trigger point injections are a little more controversial, but very legit doctors do the technique, for what that's worth, and the American Academy of Family Practice endorses it.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 8, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
My current daily driver just broke down so I am in the market for a new car. However, I will be out of the country starting from June / July 2016 so I only need a car for a short amount of time. What is my best option here? Go to a dealership for a short term lease? Rent a car from a rental company?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looks like Avis and Budget offer "mini lease" rentals starting around ~$600 monthly. Not sure if you could get anything cheaper depending on your needs

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How do I get Excel to calculate sums when I have a number range and a formula? For example, The sum from n=1 to n=20 of the formula n^2/(n+1)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The noob way is just have a list of the numbers, an column performing that function on each number, then sum the function column.

Dunno if there's a more elegant way that works for lists of arbitrary length.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Enourmo posted:

The noob way is just have a list of the numbers, an column performing that function on each number, then sum the function column.

Dunno if there's a more elegant way that works for lists of arbitrary length.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid :(

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

GobiasIndustries posted:

How do I get Excel to calculate sums when I have a number range and a formula? For example, The sum from n=1 to n=20 of the formula n^2/(n+1)

It'd be really easy to program in Python or some other language. Don't know how to do it without the big list in excel.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately I can't use python for this. It needs to be in excel and unfortunately some of these are going to go upwards of n=40.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Unfortunately I can't use python for this. It needs to be in excel and unfortunately some of these are going to go upwards of n=40.
VBA macro in Excel?

You need a loop and you can't do loops in Excel any other way.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
So a CFL bulb with mercury was smashed, left in place for days, then the glass fragments were vacuumed up. The same vacuum was then immediately used to clean the entire house. :bang:

Google confirms that this is literally the exact opposite of what to do in this situation, and that the mercury has probably been aerosolised and spread.

It's happened now so there's not much I can do, but a) Just how worried should I be about this and b) are there any specific steps I should still take?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Jake Snake posted:

Captain Lexis is apparently a character in Guild Wars, maybe?

It's not that, but thank you :)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Seven Round Things posted:

So a CFL bulb with mercury was smashed, left in place for days, then the glass fragments were vacuumed up. The same vacuum was then immediately used to clean the entire house. :bang:

Google confirms that this is literally the exact opposite of what to do in this situation, and that the mercury has probably been aerosolised and spread.

It's happened now so there's not much I can do, but a) Just how worried should I be about this and b) are there any specific steps I should still take?

open your windows

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

You already agreed to it when you opened your account in the first place.

Then why bother having us sign again?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slimy Hog posted:

"When you open this account, the form $form is what you will sign whenever you complete transaction $transaction. The form in its entirety can be found in the appendices of this contract"

You're signing a form you've signed a contract saying you know the contents of, to authorise a new action on that account.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Slimy Hog posted:

What memento said

A CFL has 5 milligrams of mercury max (many modern ones have less than 2.5 milligrams). You're in no risk since it's so very tiny. The most you need to do is open the windows for a few minutes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I type my windows 8.1 key into my windows 10 install, on a new hard drive, or do I have to install windows 8.1 first then upgrade?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

This is essentially the crux of my question. "But you must have received the $1k in cash, you signed here saying you did" seems wholly invalid when I'm signing an empty screen.

And I don't buy that somewhere in some contract I don't remember signing is the phrase "we may ask you to sign a blank form, that means you agree to this list of terms and conditions", nor that even if it did, it would ever stand up in court.

I'd write specific steps, but you're surely dead by now, so it'd be pointless.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

GobiasIndustries posted:

If the formula is reasonably simple like that, you don't need to know excel or python or whatever just ask wolfram|alpha: example

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Can I type my windows 8.1 key into my windows 10 install, on a new hard drive, or do I have to install windows 8.1 first then upgrade?

No, your 8.1 key will only work on an 8.1 install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

photomikey posted:

This is essentially the crux of my question. "But you must have received the $1k in cash, you signed here saying you did" seems wholly invalid when I'm signing an empty screen.

And I don't buy that somewhere in some contract I don't remember signing is the phrase "we may ask you to sign a blank form, that means you agree to this list of terms and conditions", nor that even if it did, it would ever stand up in court.

The form might be blank, it's actually irrelevant. You're agreeing that your signature is a thing that authorises them to do the transaction you requested. Also, signatures stand up in court all the loving time, that's what they're for. Electronic or otherwise. When I was working in managed funds, we were taken to court by a man whose elderly mother faxed in a sell request then died a few days later, and as a result he was out a pretty significant annual dividend payment. He argued that because it was electronic and because it wasn't on an official sell request form it shouldn't have counted. The judge threw it out.

Guess who has better lawyers than you. It's financial institutions.

And if you don't remember signing the contract, you clearly read it through really well and made sure you thoroughly understood all the terms and conditions :rolleyes: