Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Sheep posted:

If you just want to get the reward track items from PVP then join one of the custom arenas that are for doing dailies. After a handful of matches you'll be capped for the day (custom arena advancement is capped at like 2 ranks a day) and can go on about your business, no stressful bullshit involved.

If you just wanna grind to the end as fast as possible then yeah you'll have to do normal unranked/ranked games.

Yup, that's what I do when I don't feel like spvp but want dungeon armor or something from the tracks. Cheese the dailies in the custom rooms. Takes about 10 minutes and you'll complete a track in a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I was enjoying the last story mission until the second "Massive Attack" and neither being shielded or using updrafts worked.

gently caress am I restarting the fight from the beginning right now. Just too much HP on that guy.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

SlothBear posted:

Holy hell. Support sent me another recipe thing to learn within an hour or so. The item descriptions may be misleading but the support is incredible.

They also gave me the Mad Memories skin that didn't get added to my wardrobe years ago.

There was a thread on Reddit a week or two ago about the same issue you had, and one of the devs involved with the legendary crafted responded. So they're definitely aware that it's an issue, which is probably why support gave you a new recipe.

Hopefully they'll fix it soon because it's pretty stupid!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thievery posted:

I was enjoying the last story mission until the second "Massive Attack" and neither being shielded or using updrafts worked.

gently caress am I restarting the fight from the beginning right now. Just too much HP on that guy.

Yeah it's a good time. PICK ME UP UPDRAFT, IT'S RIGHT THERE IN YOUR NAME, JUST DO IT :saddowns:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've decided to get every achievement for HoT and I'm already annoyed.
With the bad scripting and the players ability to break sequences inadvertently, it's taking a long time.

For example:
Torn From The Sky if you choose to make the turret, there is an achievement for having it survive the whole fight. Pretty basic.
The story makes the assumption that you don't have gliding yet so if you glide from the overlook rock to the camp, the game will spazz out and the engineer won't follow you to get scrap.
There is also a chance that he will start building right away, hammering with his pistol on the ground. You can go to the scrap sites and it will update as normal but he will never build anything.
Making the scripting dependant on the player and not Brahm was pretty dumb considering we can replay these at any time with new movement abilities.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
If you're getting blown up consistently in PvP you're either getting matched with people who far outrank you (likely) or you're playing how it seems like you should and going around picking fights, and then getting outnumbered by the enemy team who's got momentum on you.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Guide:Rated_PvP_basics_-_Conquest

quote:

Never rush into a lost team fight, and don't be afraid to disengage

Another common mistake. An example: if you see a 3v1 and only you can aid that guy, then don't. You will only make it 2v3, and make 2/5 of your team wipe. Simply just be happy that the enemy can be outnumbered on 2 other capture points, and help those. Or if your team is clearly losing a fight, you are outnumbered and your teammates are going down and there is no way you could make them rally from downed state, just escape while you can and help elsewhere/regroup.

I die a lot this way, trying to be the cool hero guy that saves his friends, but it rarely works out.

If you want something survivable but still strong you might look for a Celestial (or less common, Soldier) build on Metabattle, they tend to be built for outlasting. Rolling around as MM Necro might be good for a laugh or whatever but it's not really the most helpful thing you can be doing for your team, especially if your opponents already know your shtick and just focus down your squishier friends first. Bunker Guardian is more accepted because it's built for removing conditions, aegis, protection, stability, might, etc. on your nearby allies, not just yourself.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah it's a good time. PICK ME UP UPDRAFT, IT'S RIGHT THERE IN YOUR NAME, JUST DO IT :saddowns:

The trick is to walk into these updrafts. If you jump into them then they don't work.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I had to press F on the updrafts myself, and I'm fairly certain that the shield is for npcs only and does nothing for the player

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I think it's time to try the Revenant. What's a good name for a salad Revenant?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spookyelectric posted:

Compost

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is "I Ship Caithelock" taken?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
On the topic of fractal rewards, I ran a handful of babby fractals with goons and some pubbies yesterday and got an ascended ring from the level 11 fractal. I was surprised that rings still dropped at that level since they changed everything.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Spookyelectric posted:

Legendary Salad Stance.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Facet of Salad

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Petunias In The Mist

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
Ranger Time:

So I have been a long time Ranger and Engi player. Ranger has been very difficult due to all the nerfs and pet AI. I was cruising the official forums and found probably the best Ranger condi build utilizing short bow. I mean poo poo this makes HoT mobs extremely easy and has high survivability.

Forum link: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/ranger/PvE-WvW-Bleed-druid

Build: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAV3fjUqQ5KWzCusAVLWMEM4s6YNt20BOBtAmAwor0VyUKD-T1yCABOoEEgDCAOq/owTA44LAAKaGMwEEWKxyS5xM7PonOAA-w

I dropped Lightning Reflexes and added Sun Spirit and it made it much better. I could get around 30 stacks of bleeds and 4-5 stack of burn on Vets all by myself. So happy!!!!

Edit: I also went with Refined Toxics in the wilderness survival line.

Mosthated fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 8, 2015

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Your Computer posted:

My first foray into PvP was as a thief.. it didn't last long :v: The last few matches, I've been using my Dragonhunter and that class is pretty hilarious in PvP but I'm also really squishy. I've got 9 character slots, so I guess I'm up for trying any class though. Necromancer is the only class I've never tried, but part of the reason why I want to PvP is to get tomes so I can be a ~Reaper~ like everyone else.

Dragonhunter, if you aren't going full traps, is easily one of the most survivable classes in PvP, beaten only (in my opinion) by D/D Eles and defensively built Engineers. I use only one trap and Marauder stats with mine and in Stronghold, which discourages chasing, I usually go most games without dying once.

In any case, I agree LB/GS Ranger is a pretty good introduction to PvP. It's even better now with Druid, as you get access to Ancient Seeds (use Point Blank Shot -> Rapid Fire for easy burst) and Celestial Avatar is basically a full heal whenever it's up, which is pretty much every time you need it if you use Troll Unguent. Make sure you're always fighting with a teammate, preferably focus firing, try to stay at medium to long range and switch to Greatsword and Swoop away when things look hairy.

Necromancer is also fairly easy but as you lack defensive skills that nullify damage (or make you invulnerable) and your mobility is generally poor, you may find yourself getting focused down pretty quickly. Focus on positioning so that you are an easy target to only one enemy (preferably none) if you don't outnumber them.

P.S.: If you just want to win, Ranger, Warrior and Guardian (to some extent, anyone with on demand stability) are excellent in Stronghold, and you can pretty heavily sway your team towards your victory even if you're awful at actually fighting players.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 8, 2015

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

GI_Clutch posted:

On the topic of fractal rewards, I ran a handful of babby fractals with goons and some pubbies yesterday and got an ascended ring from the level 11 fractal. I was surprised that rings still dropped at that level since they changed everything.

I got one today from a level 6 or 7.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Get used to non-infused rings as your fractal reward because fuckall else drops anymore.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

glad they disincentivized dungeons to funnel everyone towards PvE stuff with good rewards such as

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Mosthated posted:

Ranger Time:

So I have been a long time Ranger and Engi player. Ranger has been very difficult due to all the nerfs and pet AI. I was cruising the official forums and found probably the best Ranger condi build utilizing short bow. I mean poo poo this makes HoT mobs extremely easy and has high survivability.

Forum link: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/ranger/PvE-WvW-Bleed-druid

Build: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAV3fjUqQ5KWzCusAVLWMEM4s6YNt20BOBtAmAwor0VyUKD-T1yCABOoEEgDCAOq/owTA44LAAKaGMwEEWKxyS5xM7PonOAA-w

I dropped Lightning Reflexes and added Sun Spirit and it made it much better. I could get around 30 stacks of bleeds and 4-5 stack of burn on Vets all by myself. So happy!!!!

Edit: I also went with Refined Toxics in the wilderness survival line.

This is pretty tempting to try, but gearing always stops me from running a condi build. How much condi gear do you really need to make it shine? Could I theoretically get condi weapons/jewels and do decent?

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

This is pretty tempting to try, but gearing always stops me from running a condi build. How much condi gear do you really need to make it shine? Could I theoretically get condi weapons/jewels and do decent?

If you have WvW tokens you can get the weapons and armor in Mag Bl for some WvW tokens and a small amount of gold. I think you can get ascended jewelry as well for WvW tokens. As far as your question, I think yes you will have an impact with just weapons and jewels but i really stress the armor and runes.

EDIT: PSA You can get cheap exotic gear in your WvW BL. Don't forget that. It is very useful because gently caress ascended :)

Mosthated fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 8, 2015

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
PVP Speedhacker...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4niTKCoyoY
:sbahj:

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012

All those dumb dumbs defending the hacker.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Get used to non-infused rings as your fractal reward because fuckall else drops anymore.

I got an infused ring yesterday in a 29 but it was Heal/Tough/Condi so your point stands.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Eltoasto posted:

Not with Shortbow, I don't think. It has pretty awful power scaling and that build has virtually none of it. If you do PvP, that's a pretty good way of acquiring a full exotic armor set of your choice (and more weapons than you will know what to do with). As is Karma.

Fortunately if neither of those are an option, condi gear is generally cheaper so you won't have to spend that much.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eltoasto posted:

Carrion is cheap as hell.

I use a build almost identical to that, but I use sinister instead so I don't have the toughness to go with it.

Speaking of touchness, reaper is AMAZING and I'm enjoying getting revenge on HoT mobs, I've even solo'D like 4 champs with it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
So I want to play with a 360 controller and I know it's been mentioned before in here, but I can't find any specifics, especially now with the action camera. Can anyone who's familiar with this drop a few links for me so I can actually play more often? All I can find is stuff that's three years old when I search for it. Or do you still need to use XPadder and I'm just SOL?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

The armor is cheaper than jewelry for the most part.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Jhet posted:

So I want to play with a 360 controller and I know it's been mentioned before in here, but I can't find any specifics, especially now with the action camera. Can anyone who's familiar with this drop a few links for me so I can actually play more often? All I can find is stuff that's three years old when I search for it. Or do you still need to use XPadder and I'm just SOL?

you need xpadder for it's ability to switch between sets of binds because there's not enough room on a controller for gw2's keybinds without multiple sets

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
'GW2 doesn't have hack!'
Used to be that if you tell them to stop using that poo poo some of them would immediately turn it off, but now that the core game's free idk.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aesis posted:

'GW2 doesn't have hack!'
Used to be that if you tell them to stop using that poo poo some of them would immediately turn it off, but now that the core game's free idk.

If there's one thing mmo hackers are known for, it's their moral compass and tendency to listen to their fellow players.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

CLAM DOWN posted:

If there's one thing mmo hackers are known for, it's their moral compass and tendency to listen to their fellow players.
Nah I think they just didn't want to take the chance of getting banned and having to buy the game again :v:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I leveled my Guardian to 80 way back but didn't really like it. It felt like a slower, boring warrior to me.

But. I tried DH yesterday and Arus did not lie. Dragonhunter is Good. I gave the cat a new look to celebrate.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Trogdos! posted:

I leveled my Guardian to 80 way back but didn't really like it. It felt like a slower, boring warrior to me.

But. I tried DH yesterday and Arus did not lie. Dragonhunter is Good. I gave the cat a new look to celebrate.

What helmet is that?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Charr tier 3, "Dreadnought"

minus the walrus
Apr 8, 2007

Trogdos! posted:

Love this! It really fits the class.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trogdos! posted:

Lookin good for a charr, and yes, DH is loving incredible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trogdos! posted:

Now that's a rad-looking Charr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ShadowMar posted:

you need xpadder for it's ability to switch between sets of binds because there's not enough room on a controller for gw2's keybinds without multiple sets

Perhaps I'll be able to get it to work this time. It's just sad for me that I can't get time on my desktop to play. Especially with the expansion and all being so pretty.

• Locked thread