Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Does Black Friday entail discounts for motorcycle gear? I wanna get a new GT-AIR or a Scorpion EXO1200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Kane posted:

Does Black Friday entail discounts for motorcycle gear? I wanna get a new GT-AIR or a Scorpion EXO1200.

Depends on where you shop. Most of our sales are the same old poo poo. occasionally Shoei and Arai will go an additional 10% off, but no word if that's the case this year.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Kane posted:

Yes. Black Friday/Cyber Monday pretty much single-handedly carry motorcycle retailers through the "slow" winter months.

edit: What actually goes on sale varies year-to-year. There may be good helmet deals this year, there may not.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

How do you find out which retailer participates/what's included in advance? (Sorry about the clueless questions. Moving to the bay area shortly, never lived in the US.)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
A lot of places will advertise in advance -- you can check their websites or even call and ask ahead of time if you want. If you're moving the Bay, you're probably going to have a better selection of local stores to choose from, too. It's so close at this point that you should be able to find out on Google. See if they had one last year, and chances are good they'll do it again this year.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hey guys its me, the idiot who is stupid when it comes to motorcycles. So my bikes first big oil change is coming up. I know how to properly drain it and remove both the o-rings and the oil filter but what I don't know is where to buy new oil filters and o-rings. My bike has a parts list in the manual that tells me what type of engine oil to get, but it doesn't tell me what kind or where to get o-rings or engine filters. Are these two things totally standard? Can I just walk into an auto shop and say I need an engine oil filter and an oil filter element cover o-ring and they will know exactly what I am talking about?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You should get both items from your dealership or an online vendor like ronayers, bikebandit, etc.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Z3n posted:

You should get both items from your dealership or an online vendor like ronayers, bikebandit, etc.

People order oem filters?

You can probably get a k&n filter from Autozone or O'Reilly's, but if you broke an oring then you'll need to order one like z3n said.

Amazon is good for filters too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I buy my filters in a 3pack off amazon, I get crushwashers locally, or from one of the online suppliers.

Oil I also amazon.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah I prefer OEM filters. Figure they're speced exactly for the job.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
A lot of K&N filters do come with o-rings but not necessarily all the o-rings you want.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
what o-rings do you want rev

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
For the record my o-rings aren't broke or anything but my manual recommends changing them when I change my oil filter. So since I own a yamaha I should just like find a yamaha center and ask for oil filters and o-rings for my bike?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Whoops, wrong thread really.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 9, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

For the record my o-rings aren't broke or anything but my manual recommends changing them when I change my oil filter. So since I own a yamaha I should just like find a yamaha center and ask for oil filters and o-rings for my bike?

Do this:

1. Google 'motorbike parts' and adjust for your locale
2. Go to 'oil filters' on whatever site it is
3. Choose one for your model/enter your model if there is a search system for doing that
4. Buy oil filter.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Do this:

1. Google 'motorbike parts' and adjust for your locale
2. Go to 'oil filters' on whatever site it is
3. Choose one for your model/enter your model if there is a search system for doing that
4. Buy oil filter.

Would I be a big idiot to buy a filter off amazon: http://www.amazon.com/KN-145-Powers...er+yamaha+SR400
Or this: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-4X7134409000-Cleaner-Element-Assembly/dp/B003O7775W Apparently this is the actual filter my bike has

And should I just not replace the o-rings?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 9, 2015

Queefer Sutherland
Mar 1, 2007
Waffles need not reply

Ozmiander posted:

IIRC, mine said DM. I'd go back just in case.

Just a tip of the hat to ya Ozmiander. I went back to the DMV and they nearly poo poo themselves when they realized they essentially revoked my drivers license by mistake. For the first time ever the DMV Employees I spoke to couldn't apologize enough. If I didn't go back there on your suggestion I might have had a real problem on my hands if I got pulled over for anything.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm pretty amazed there's a DMV that will issue a drivers licenses for motorcyclists that exclude cars.

I mean I guess it could make practical sense to set it up that way but since when are govt organizations practical?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Flapjacks posted:

Just a tip of the hat to ya Ozmiander. I went back to the DMV and they nearly poo poo themselves when they realized they essentially revoked my drivers license by mistake. For the first time ever the DMV Employees I spoke to couldn't apologize enough. If I didn't go back there on your suggestion I might have had a real problem on my hands if I got pulled over for anything.

When i went to get my CDL-A permit, they accidentally gave me a A License, instead of A Permit. I'm not really surprised.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

When I got my driver's learner permit and motorcycle learner permit at age 16 in NY, they issued me 2 cards, one with each endorsement.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So I just went down to my local yamaha dealer and got my filter and o-ring for next to nothing, thanks guys.

I still got stupid questions though! In my manual it specifies I can use a bunch of different types of oil: 10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50, 15W-40, 20W-40, and 20W-50. It also shows what temperature the oils are good through (I guess?) SAE 10W-50 has the best range by far, is there any reason to not just get that type of oil?

edit: Jesus why is 10W50 so expensive? Looks like I should just do 10W40 right? Do I have to get yamalube? Is SL oil just better than SG oil? If my bike requires SG or higher does that mean anything about G is better (i.e. SL)?

double edit: I am eyeing this: http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06078...=motorcycle+oil But I am afraid I will purchase the wrong kind.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 10, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Just get 10w40 of whatever brand as long as it's not energy conserving. Don't need unicorn blood $$$$ stuff. I used to use the 5w40 rotella walmart sells on my last bike, probably gonna go back to it on the SV as well.

e: I use that castrol you posted atm. Works fine. Oil's not that complicated, no worries.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

Just get 10w40 of whatever brand as long as it's not energy conserving. Don't need unicorn blood $$$$ stuff. I used to use the 5w40 rotella walmart sells on my last bike, probably gonna go back to it on the SV as well.

e: I use that castrol you posted atm. Works fine. Oil's not that complicated, no worries.

Just make sure it doesn't have car stuff nonsense additives.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I use Castrol 10w40 semi synthetic because it's the cheapest we sell.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I've used 10w40 Mobil1, Castrol, Repsol, and Royal Purple in my bike at some point or another. It's all the same poo poo.

Edit: the only other thing I want to try is Motul (I'm told it smells like maple syrup). The only thing I'll never try is Amsoil.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 10, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I just use what my manual says to use. Supposedly it's kind of lovely mystery oil with the bar and shield price premium. But gently caress thinking about oil, if the manual says it's cool it's cool.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

What do you guys do for motorcycle insurance / protection against theft?

Over here there's a nice service that installs a GPS tracker on your bike and immediately apprehends anyone moving around on it that's not you, while guaranteeing that if it's stolen you get 90% of its worth back. Works pretty well.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
comprehensive & chill

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

What's the price range for that?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Kane posted:

What do you guys do for motorcycle insurance / protection against theft?

Over here there's a nice service that installs a GPS tracker on your bike and immediately apprehends anyone moving around on it that's not you, while guaranteeing that if it's stolen you get 90% of its worth back. Works pretty well.
I live in the city without a garage and spent a bunch of time looking into the best options to secure my bike. The Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit has the largest chain link size on RevZilla's site (14mm), but the locking mechanism isn't as secure as the New York Legend. No point in having a thicker chain if they can just cut the lock. Keep the chain elevated to prevent a thief from freezing the chain and beating it into the ground.

Quality disc lock on the rear wheel (not the front). If you don't have a secure place to bolt the chain (e.g. telephone pole) buy a Anchor; you will need a hammer drill or a contractor to install it. Don't drill into any gas lines/electrical lines/pipes. Always run the chain through something that is not removable (e.g. the frame, NEVER a wheel). Always cover your bike.

That will sufficiently keep any casual or amateur thieves away. If a professional wants it, they will get your bike regardless.

Those GPS tracking devices are great in theory, but any professional thief will know how to find them and can disable them in under a minute. You can somewhat prevent that by placing the tracker in a hard to reach spot and re-wrapping your wiring harness with the GPS wiring inside. 99.9% of installs don't do that though. A friend of mine was going to school at MMI in Florida (extremely high bike theft rate) where there are a lot of pros. He told me a lot of techniques that pro thieves use and the gist of it is that you can never fully secure a bike. Another friend of mine is an AMA mechanic; I was at the track one day and he asked me if I wanted to see something funny. I said sure, and he hotwired my R6 in under 5 seconds (no exaggeration).

Anyway, after I did all that research I ultimately decided that the only way to secure your bike is with full coverage, and even then I have put too much time, money, and emotional investment into my bike to see it stolen.

Also, even if you do recover your bike, you probably won't even want it. The steering head will be destroyed, the wiring or ignition will be hosed up, if you had a disc lock then the rear of your bike is probably hosed up, etc.

Kane posted:

What's the price range for that?
Shop around with different companies for quotes. It's impossible to say how much it would cost you. It depends on your age, the city you live in, your driving record, the type of bike, the year of bike, any loyalty/multi-car/home/flood/insurance, etc.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 11, 2015

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I can only speak to the States, but I got comprehensive with a $100 deductible for something around $16/yr on top of my other coverages. I live in Minneapolis proper. This is bundled in with the same carrier who has our cars, house, and umbrella coverage. We also have no claims experience and keep the bike garaged.

If you're in the states, I can't stress enough how important it is to shop around for insurance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
My effective tripartite strategy:

1/ Park indoors at home
2/ Heavy duty disc lock everywhere else
3/ Own old bikes that no one wants to steal

Part 3/ is the most important.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I don't really care about theft. While I am attached to my bike, I know I'll get reimbursed for more than it's worth along with any gear that's stolen.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

1/ Park indoors at home

I thought you were dead

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

1/ Park indoors at home

Someone on here had a loving GS500 stolen so I don't think your hawk is safe dude. Welcome back btw.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
The GS500 paid out more than it was worth, too.

Heck yes, comprehensive insurance! (note; despite being a not-at-fault claim, I'm basically uninsurable for the next 3 years).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

nsaP posted:

I thought you were dead

Nah, just life stuff.

Slavvy posted:

Someone on here had a loving GS500 stolen so I don't think your hawk is safe dude. Welcome back btw.

Good point -- some criminals are insane.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Sagebrush posted:

I bought a Minsk in Hanoi for a trip in Laos and Vietnam a number of years ago. Viet mechanics usually remove the ignition (and speedo) because they fail after a few hundred kilometres and will keep on doing so, and mine was no exception. I asked the Vietnamese mechanic who was doing the pre-trip service if I should buy a padlock and chain at least to secure it, and he just laughed and said not to worry, no self-respecting motorcycle thief would touch a Minsk. True to his word I was fine for the whole 7 week trip with the standard "kick it and go" setup, although a lot of the guesthouses I stayed at had a little ramp in the middle of the stairs and would let you park your bike in the lobby with the staff's overnight. When I did have to leave it on the street I just lifted up the seat and popped the R/R box out to disable it.

Welp, that's my story about my old motorcycle nobody would steal.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Are you in there?

Do these comprehensive/anti-theft insurances demand that you have certain locks or an alarm on at all parked times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Generally you tell them your security arrangements when you take out the policy, and this will affect how much you pay. The company will have a list of acceptable security devices, some of which will grant a bigger bonus than others. You don't have to have any named security devices to take out the policy, but they'll make you pay through the nose for the perceived increase in risk. (eg my policy would be an additional £200 a year if I kept the bike on the road instead of in a garage)

The catch is that if you don't use one of the security devices you've told them you're using and your bike gets nicked, they won't pay out.