Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

wtf why 2 screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

im gay posted:

wtf why 2 screens

This picture has double the binary oppression!! So triggered now.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

GORDON posted:

My fave credit card trick is that I got an Amazon Visa card, which gives you 1-3% back in Amazon credit, depending on where you spend it. I use it to pay all of my $2k-ish in monthly bills, pay it off every month, and spend the free amazon money as I please as "entertainment." Great for the budget.

Also, I was born in '71 and I don't find an entire generation of whiners to be amusing.

Don't be so hard on yourself, you don't whine that much

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

how are you all so old i thought the joke of this thread was snake people complaining about snake people, but half of you really are middle-aged people in their forties

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

joat mon posted:

67. Find a way to do what you love, even if it doesn't pay well. Don't do that thing all the time, though.

Eh, I'm 46, I saw a whole generation right after me get caught in the Boomer trap of 'do what you love' and got into huge debt. The problem is, that was a workable thing before the MBA assholes hadn't started turning the screws on everyone, and that time is long gone. Lots of PhDs in History and Literature staring down a lifetime of student loans.

IMO don't make 'something you love' your career. That love will get crushed out of it day by stressful, annoying day. You eventually won't want to do it at all outside your job, so you'll have sacrificed the thing you love on the altar of paying rent.

Instead find something you like, you're generally better at than most, enjoy doing, and can happily forget about after 5pm. Make that your career. Life gets so goddamn easy when you can take it or leave it; you make decisions more clearly when your self-worth and self-expression isn't on the line with every setback or bad decision. Your judgment of the jobs you take will then change to 'well this gig is lucrative but longer hours and higher stress, this one is nice but has a long commute, this one will lead me in a totally different way which could suck or be awesome'.

Make the thing you love your hobby. You can happily have fun no matter how good you are at it, because you're not in competition with peers for money. You can become world class, or just plod along sucking rear end, it doesn't matter. It's the pressure release valve. If you become SO GOOD at it that it naturally supersedes the 'decent day gig' then all the better.

/serious post

Oblig link: Millennials want nice poo poo but don't want to work for it

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Phlegmish posted:

how are you all so old i thought the joke of this thread was snake people complaining about snake people, but half of you really are middle-aged people in their forties

This is SA, not Snapchat

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

GORDON posted:

Also, I was born in '71 and I don't find an entire generation of whiners to be amusing.

The door swings both ways bitch.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

GORDON posted:

My fave credit card trick is that I got an Amazon Visa card, which gives you 1-3% back in Amazon credit, depending on where you spend it. I use it to pay all of my $2k-ish in monthly bills, pay it off every month, and spend the free amazon money as I please as "entertainment." Great for the budget.

Get the Amazon store card 5% back

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

it happened, SA is now a forum for olds

which i guess is most forums nowadays

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

The survey results show that young people do not believe work should be a central part of their lives, which is absolutely the correct position. Work is a perversion. Work to live.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

a happy snowman posted:

Born '69, so 46, max the gently caress out of your 401k, and pay your credit cards off every month

So just don't be a loving idiot?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

HEY NONG MAN posted:

So just don't be a loving idiot?

You would be shocked how many people don't get this advice. "Don't live in debt" can be a foreign concept

"Sure you might have tens of thousands of dollars in student debt and a crap paying job but you can totally buy designer clothes and travel to europe" <- actual people I know

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You would be shocked how many people don't get this advice. "Don't live in debt" can be a foreign concept

"Sure you might have tens of thousands of dollars in student debt and a crap paying job but you can totally buy designer clothes and travel to europe" <- actual people I know

the nerve of some people

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Debt's pushed on you pretty hard. I opened a savings account so I can save up for school. The bank recommended I get a credit card. I was like 'no I'm fine just give me the savings account'. I'm doing the old second career thing because if turns out my dream job pays poo poo and is completely unstable. So I'm saving half of what I make to pay my tuition in cash.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Borden posted:

Debt's pushed on you pretty hard. I opened a savings account so I can save up for school. The bank recommended I get a credit card. I was like 'no I'm fine just give me the savings account'. I'm doing the old second career thing because if turns out my dream job pays poo poo and is completely unstable. So I'm saving half of what I make to pay my tuition in cash.

Perhaps it's better to say "don't get into avoidable debt". A lot of people don't know how to handle credit cards and just buy everything off the drop of the hat. I've never paid for anything on a credit card that I couldn't in cash so it's just a habit, but I have family members that just kept digging and digging off minimum monthly payments and got in huge trouble in return

Having a credit card is pretty good for building up credit, it's just a matter of keeping it on a leash

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm in my late 20s, never finished college and have no debt whatsoever. Retirement being well funded since I was 19, job with okay pay but loads of paid time off and most days are spent cruising SA or maybe learning an unrelated skill.

My firend, same age, went full-bore academics and didn't have a job until he got his PhD. Lives in a shithole town making less than me, bought a house and two cars and his wife's job pays for poo poo. They are trying for a baby.

Every time he complains about his 500k+ debt, I roll my eyes out of my head. Keep spending buddy, so what if you are not really using your degrees. Maybe you should have gotten something worthwhile.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I'm in my late 20s, never finished college and have no debt whatsoever. Retirement being well funded since I was 19, job with okay pay but loads of paid time off and most days are spent cruising SA or maybe learning an unrelated skill.

My firend, same age, went full-bore academics and didn't have a job until he got his PhD. Lives in a shithole town making less than me, bought a house and two cars and his wife's job pays for poo poo. They are trying for a baby.

Every time he complains about his 500k+ debt, I roll my eyes out of my head. Keep spending buddy, so what if you are not really using your degrees. Maybe you should have gotten something worthwhile.

sounds like you two are really good friends

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

DreamShipWrecked posted:

the thing that made my blood boil the worst about e/n superstar bluestory (?) was that she had credit card debt that she could have paid off with barely a dent in her savings but month after month never, ever did. just pissing money away on interest month after month after month

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

This was basically me 5 years ago. Then I got laid off and went back to school because I couldn't find a job and managed to get myself into a bunch of student loan debt I can't pay back, and my job doesn't pay much. Thinking about my student load debt is the only thing that has ever kind made me want to blow my brains out. gently caress debt. Being debt free (or maybe something small like a car loan) is the only way to live with any sort of peace of mind.

A lot of this was my own fault. I handled it loving poorly and creditors just came out of the woodwork when I started running out of money. Seriously wish I had a time machine.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 8, 2015

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

i love this guy and video so much

Kleen_TheRacistDog fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 8, 2015

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Being debt free (or maybe something small like a car loan) is the only way to live with any sort of peace of mind.

nah a mortgage on a small apartment is not too bad as long as you live somewhere where housing prices are guaranteed to not to drop and are overwhelmingly likely to increase

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
There's a difference between racking up additional, needless debt and allowing yourself to enjoy your income while you slowly pay off existing debt.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

a happy snowman posted:

Eh, I'm 46, I saw a whole generation right after me get caught in the Boomer trap of 'do what you love' and got into huge debt. The problem is, that was a workable thing before the MBA assholes hadn't started turning the screws on everyone, and that time is long gone. Lots of PhDs in History and Literature staring down a lifetime of student loans.

IMO don't make 'something you love' your career. That love will get crushed out of it day by stressful, annoying day. You eventually won't want to do it at all outside your job, so you'll have sacrificed the thing you love on the altar of paying rent.

Instead find something you like, you're generally better at than most, enjoy doing, and can happily forget about after 5pm. Make that your career. Life gets so goddamn easy when you can take it or leave it; you make decisions more clearly when your self-worth and self-expression isn't on the line with every setback or bad decision. Your judgment of the jobs you take will then change to 'well this gig is lucrative but longer hours and higher stress, this one is nice but has a long commute, this one will lead me in a totally different way which could suck or be awesome'.

Make the thing you love your hobby. You can happily have fun no matter how good you are at it, because you're not in competition with peers for money. You can become world class, or just plod along sucking rear end, it doesn't matter. It's the pressure release valve. If you become SO GOOD at it that it naturally supersedes the 'decent day gig' then all the better.

/serious post

loving exactly. don't turn your passion into your job. turn your hobby into your job.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I watch other people watch videogames being played by other people and then I put it on youtube for a living

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm totally okay with having debt for something like a sensible house. In fact, I'm going to be in the market for one soonish after finding out that my rent price is higher than average mortgage rates in my area AND my landlord doesn't exactly like to pay to keep up his property.

I don't think Millennials are necessarily more materialistic, there has been a lot of predatory lending and shady credit deals in the past 10 years. Neither side takes full blame.

If I could go back to school, I absolutely would. However my life just doesn't allow for it. I have a coworker that is younger than me and they work full time, go to law school full time and keep up with their family. They get less than 4 hours of sleep a night because their definition of a successful life is never relaxing and always working. They are 24 and will crack soon, I know it.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

but how do i decide what house is sensible w/o going to college?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ok someone post the thread from the goon who asked for financial advice, but refused to take any of it

He kept posting all about his sweet penthouse and car he never drove, making $10k a month with all his credit cards maxed out

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

I'm totally okay with having debt for something like a sensible house. In fact, I'm going to be in the market for one soonish after finding out that my rent price is higher than average mortgage rates in my area AND my landlord doesn't exactly like to pay to keep up his property.

I don't think Millennials are necessarily more materialistic, there has been a lot of predatory lending and shady credit deals in the past 10 years. Neither side takes full blame.

If I could go back to school, I absolutely would. However my life just doesn't allow for it. I have a coworker that is younger than me and they work full time, go to law school full time and keep up with their family. They get less than 4 hours of sleep a night because their definition of a successful life is never relaxing and always working. They are 24 and will crack soon, I know it.

I only partly agree with you. I think that the entitlement of many young adults leads to a large majority of individuals buying poo poo that they can't afford. That being said, many companies are taking advantage of this and giving kids large loans that they know they can't pay it off.

I don't necessarily fathom that people in this world are just no naive that when someone hands them a check for $4,500 they go "Oh I have nothing to worry about, it's like, free money and paying the minimum each month will be fine for the next 5 years... why is my car being repo'd?"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Homeownership isn't just a mortgage it has lots of extra monthly costs such as home insurance, property taxes, PMI and also property maintenance.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

hmmm this thread has gotten really boring and du mb give me more jpegs, thanks.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

ThePriceIsRight posted:

hmmm this thread has gotten really boring and du mb give me more jpegs, thanks.

millennial though he may be, the young man has some philosophical substance, pedestrian though it may be.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

millennial though he may be, the young man has some philosophical substance, pedestrian though it may be.

Harmony will be achieved when they all lie dead.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
the modern world is really cool and good: if you try to take out loans to afford to live you are a millennial, if you buy a tiny house or build a log cabin you are a hipster

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

this young man is depressive, but dealing w it ok.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dave Concepcion posted:

nah a mortgage on a small apartment is not too bad as long as you live somewhere where housing prices are guaranteed to not to drop and are overwhelmingly likely to increase

good luck finding any desirable property in any city worth a poo poo that hasn't been snatched up by cash buyers and then rented for more than the mortgage cost

unless you're buying new from a developer you're probably hosed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

amusinginquiry posted:

There's a difference between racking up additional, needless debt and allowing yourself to enjoy your income while you slowly pay off existing debt.

People rarely point out that it's completely ok and sustainable to live with a car loan, a mortgage, and small amounts of credit card debt. If you're a normal, responsible person you can totally buy a new laptop on your credit card and pay it off over a couple months with extremely minimal interest payments. I guess most of the people you see talking about debt on the internet are completely off the deep end.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

it happened, SA is now a forum for olds

which i guess is most forums nowadays

Kids today with their reddits and their twitas. :bahgawd:

:smith:

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Inzombiac posted:

You sound like such a likable person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

a happy snowman posted:

/serious post

This is good advice. Sure, enjoy something you can do for money, but love something else more.

This image seems appropriate

• Locked thread