Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swit
Sep 6, 2013

by Cowcaster
I actually have to pay Private Investigators for security.
But it has little to do with EVE or selling anything, even though I could use it to register copyright since it is legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Swit posted:

I actually have to pay Private Investigators for security.
But it has little to do with EVE or selling anything, even though I could use it to register copyright since it is legal.

:psyduck:

Swit
Sep 6, 2013

by Cowcaster

Anyways, I just do solo trading these days and will be for a few more years.
I may start my own corps and alliances, but I don't think I would want to get my security compromised by joining others corps.
Also, I plan to hire more mercs even if it is for testing only, and yes, they do cost billions and tens of billions and hundreds of billions.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Borachon posted:

both sides tend to think they can do both as well or better than the other, and both are wrong.

Nonono, you see, STEM training turns you into a turbo-polymath capable of doing/understanding any ~lesser~ discipline better than people trained in said discipline.

They're actually both right.

Swit
Sep 6, 2013

by Cowcaster

Borachon posted:

CS theory doctorates tend to take about 5 years from a BS; CS systems doctorates average 6 years or more. My (CS systems) Ph.D. took even longer. I don't think any of my students took less that 6 years to graduate with their Ph.D. That said, I agree that no one cares about CS Ph.D. degrees outside of academia or research labs. First thing I always ask a new Ph.D. student is "why do you want a Ph.D.?". More often than not, the answer involves a better job or a shrug, not "to teach" or "work at a research lab". :getout:

As someone who teaches and does research in the OS/systems field, I agree that that there's a tragic lack of knowledge of bare metal level computing in most students. Kids these days...

EDIT:

I generally know a Ph.D. student is close to ready to graduate when they start telling me they hate their dissertation. I know I sure hated mine by the end.

lol, well done.
I am working on studies , on my own studies, in that field, for over 20 years now, and I am reaching levels where as I get more opportunities.
Most of my work was business related although part of it is more security related due to legal issues.
How much does it cost?
The liability at first opportunity was 1 million, this was increased to 5 million (which is relatively at the low end of the scale.
However, the capital involved shifted to over 2 to 3 millions now.

By the way, I don't teach or lecture yet, though this may change.
I also have to copyright my work again due to legal or security issues.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's a chatbot, guys. Chill out.

Swit
Sep 6, 2013

by Cowcaster

Zephyrine posted:

At 26 I celebrated the two year anniversary of the purchase of my house. That I bought at 24 using the profit from the sale of my condominium that I bought at 21 using the money I saved from working since 18. :fap:

I'm 48 and I got my first house offer at 44, which is 4 years ago now. It would be paid and I could sell it for $60,000 or more if the offer wouldn't have been interfered against.
I had 2 more house offers (which total 3) back from around 20 years ago.
Both of those are now interfered against as well. Those total over $100,000 to $150,000 in today's value, and back then too...
So, I pretty much buy my real-estate elsewhere now, and I use agents to deal with the system on this side of the planet.

Mind you, I get to deal with billions and more in capital.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Joybot makes more sense.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Holy poo poo no one cares

Swit
Sep 6, 2013

by Cowcaster

Sunber posted:

Holy poo poo no one cares

yeah, no kidding, you guys would rather blow another 7 to 100 trillions on top.
use my ava

it would be a nice chunk to upgrade marginalization systems, amongst other things

Swit fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 8, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Voyager I posted:

It isn't.

There's a twitter page and an EVE blog out there as well.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Voyager I posted:

This is the only explanation that makes sense and it is glorious.

Though we have completely derailed the thread with academia!chat for which I am very sorry as I was the instigator.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I'm lollin hard at the thought of a guy in a P.I.'s office asking him to do security for his EVE corporation

Swit
Sep 6, 2013

by Cowcaster

darth cookie posted:

It isn't.

Where is the EVE Blog?
There is no EVE Blog and there shouldn't be even though there could be.
It would not be published freely.

as for citizen rat...
yeah, I was going to post, nobody gives a rat's ...
but I will skip .

Swit
Sep 6, 2013

by Cowcaster

Pookum posted:

I'm lollin hard at the thought of a guy in a P.I.'s office asking him to do security for his EVE corporation

That is not why I have to hire a guy (or more) in a P.I.'s office but I will post this here:
- it does have to do with freedom of expression and opinion and,
- it is to solve interference against communications.
Either way, after using the result of the investigation, I will be able to integrate it in my work, and use it for work in another country.
And I don't think I will be posting back on here either by then.
It would be easier to hire someone else to post for me, like PM some of the other users to post for me.

It seems there were previous suggestions that were leading towards that, because then, the other posters could make more money from this.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

darth cookie posted:

It isn't.

Surely, two things that would be impossible for a managed chatbot.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

In before :gas:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Citizen Rat posted:

This is the only explanation that makes sense and it is glorious.

Though we have completely derailed the thread with academia!chat for which I am very sorry as I was the instigator.

slightly worse than ribchat, but still better than evechat :v:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

scandoslav posted:

Nonono, you see, STEM training turns you into a turbo-polymath capable of doing/understanding any ~lesser~ discipline better than people trained in said discipline.

They're actually both right.

this, but unironically

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Swit posted:

That is not why I have to hire a guy (or more) in a P.I.'s office but I will post this here:
Either way, after using the result of the investigation, I will be able to integrate it in my work, and use it for work in another country.
It would be easier to hire someone else to post for me, like PM some of the other users to post for me.

It seems there were previous suggestions that were leading towards that, because then, the other posters could make more money from this.

Gooble Gobbler parachute spotted

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anyone who claims to be a polymath is almost certainly not one.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Citizen Rat posted:

The problem with academia chat is when it's outsiders and insiders discussing it, it's the insiders trying to convince the outsiders that the journey is just as important as the destination, and just because your degree isn't considered a unilateral improvement on life, job prospects and ability, it's still worth pursuing. The outsiders sit there scratching their heads wondering why for the duration of the conversation.

When it's insiders and insiders, it breaks down into who's discipline is harder, it took you HOW LONG to defend? and bittervet academic chat.

99% of the discussion on this topic, in this thread, even amongst posters I normally respect, is bad, stupid, misguided or wrong.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

DisgracelandUSA posted:

99% of the discussion on this topic, in this thread, even amongst posters I normally respect, is bad, stupid, misguided or wrong.

Every thread, ever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

DisgracelandUSA posted:

99% of discussion is bad, stupid, misguided or wrong

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DisgracelandUSA posted:

discussion is bad, stupid, misguided or wrong.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

DisgracelandUSA posted:

99% of [...] this thread [..] is bad, stupid, misguided or wrong.

also stop touching the poop

Real Nito
Apr 3, 2010
was trying for "99% of the posters are bad," but he never said "are". welp.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Swit posted:

If this has anything to do with GamerGate and or you need an expert in gamer justice I know a man for the job.

Find the nearest coke machine and shout "Derek Smart!" three times into the coin slot and you will have all the ~~legal investigation~~ you need.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The gently caress is wrong with all of you?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

vyst posted:

The gently caress is wrong with all of you?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The problem with academia chat is when it's outsiders and insiders discussing it, it's the insiders trying to convince the outsiders that the journey is just as important as the destination, and just because your degree isn't considered a unilateral improvement on life, job prospects and ability, it's still worth pursuing. The outsiders sit there scratching their heads wondering why for the duration of the conversation.

When it's insiders and insiders, it breaks down into who's discipline is harder, it took you HOW LONG to defend? and bittervet academic chat.

your opinions are bad and wrong, smugging it up at plebs and/or inferior disciplines (which is all of them except yours) is peak academia :colbert:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Does that mean I'm famous? Idgi

ickna
May 19, 2004

I've got a few weeks to kill and I've had my fill of other space games. After hearing about this game a few times around the forums, I think I'm ready to give it a go.
I haven't signed up for the 30 day trial yet, because I figured somebody might like to get plex from using a buddy code. Does that really even matter to anybody at this point, or should I just go ahead and start the trial and jump it?

edit: got a PM with a code

ickna fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 9, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

ickna posted:

I've got a few weeks to kill and I've had my fill of other space games. After hearing about this game a few times around the forums, I think I'm ready to give it a go.
I haven't signed up for the 30 day trial yet, because I figured somebody might like to get plex from using a buddy code. Does that really even matter to anybody at this point, or should I just go ahead and start the trial and jump it?

edit: got a PM with a code

Don't forget to do the tutorials. Its long and it sucks, but it will save you from asking so many questions. The very basic is a must.

Here's a few advice:

1- Don't stay in high sec. Move to nullsec (0.0) ASAP
2- For the love of god, unless you're the type of guy who likes watching paint dry or grass grow, don't waste your time with mining.
3- Think of your ships as disposable. Don't worry about losing them. It really doesn't matter and will happen often.
4- Do not be afraid to ask questions even if you think they're stupid. Yes, there are stupid questions and even more stupid answers, but ask anyway.

E: 5- For any fitting advice, just use :ullerrm: in your post and you will summon an EVE wizard who will appear in a cloud of good posts.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 9, 2015

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

vyst posted:

You are the celeb of my heart Vyst

ickna
May 19, 2004

Dalael posted:

Don't forget to do the tutorials. Its long and it sucks, but it will save you from asking so many questions. The very basic is a must.

Here's a few advice:

1- Don't stay in high sec. Move to nullsec (0.0) ASAP
2- For the love of god, unless you're the type of guy who likes watching paint dry or grass grow, don't waste your time with mining.
3- Think of your ships as disposable. Don't worry about losing them. It really doesn't matter and will happen often.
4- Do not be afraid to ask questions even if you think they're stupid. Yes, there are stupid questions and even more stupid answers, but ask anyway.

E: 5- For any fitting advice, just use :ullerrm: in your post and you will summon an EVE wizard who will appear in a cloud of good posts.

Thanks for the pointers. I just finished the character creation and I'm about to start the tutorials. This is gloriously overwhelming and I'm already liking it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ickna posted:

Thanks for the pointers. I just finished the character creation and I'm about to start the tutorials. This is gloriously overwhelming and I'm already liking it.

Do the career agent missions. Press f12 ingame. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

vyst posted:

That means you are about to become a meme

• Locked thread