Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
If you guys are still interested in what is happening at Mizzou, the President released a statement today that was pretty useless. Like, real useless. The Athletic director and football coach stood behind their team, said the team has no intention of practicing or having formal meetings until Jonathan Butler, the student on hunger strike, resumes eating. A couple of state Republicans, including the Chairman of the House Higher Education Committee are telling Wolfe to resign. Grad students are organizing a second walk out. This time it looks like it will be considerably longer than the 1 hour work stoppage they used to protest health insurance cuts. Lt. Governor Kinder also released a statement that contains the mother of all dog-whistles: "We mustn't, however, allow the abhorrent acts of a dissident few to drive the actions that decide the future of our state University." So the $1000000 question is who are the "dissident few"? The racists, or JB and the organizers of the #ConcernedStudent1950?

Whispers around campus are that other departments themselves are getting ready to vote No Confidence on the chancellor as well. Also, some faculty members have decided to start hosting their office hours at the campsite where students are camping out until Wolfe resigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Well the Lt. Governor isn't wrong. If the president still has the support of the majority of students and faculty then no a handful of dissidents should not be able to force him to resign. A news article I read earlier today said that a change.org petition against him had about 2,000 signatures even if all of those are from students that's still pretty slim considering that the university has 35,000 students.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What's the percentage of non-white students at Mizzou?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Dr. Tough posted:

Well the Lt. Governor isn't wrong. If the president still has the support of the majority of students and faculty then no a handful of dissidents should not be able to force him to resign. A news article I read earlier today said that a change.org petition against him had about 2,000 signatures even if all of those are from students that's still pretty slim considering that the university has 35,000 students.

Like, that doesn't mean 33,000 students support the Chancellor. :psyduck:

E: every change.org petition needs 170 million signatures before it's enacted into law

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

Like, that doesn't mean 33,000 students support the Chancellor. :psyduck:

It didn't say they did...

Also 23% of the students are non-white: https://diversity.missouri.edu/about/stats/

Also here's the list of demands: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...90110b8.pdf.pdf

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's the percentage of non-white students at Mizzou?

Definitely a small percentage. I think it was 90% white when I was there?

edit: wow I was way off.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Dr. Tough posted:

It didn't say they did...

Also 23% of the students are non-white: https://diversity.missouri.edu/about/stats/

Also here's the list of demands: http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...90110b8.pdf.pdf

Maybe I misunderstood you, but you seemed to be implying that the Chancellor still had the support of the majority of students merely because of a lack of signatures on a petition.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

quote:

In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1­9­5­0 demands.

One of the local news stations posted a link about their demands, and the only one they mentioned was "they are forcing him to acknowledge his privilege!!!!" For a town with such a well known journalism school, you'd think they'd be a little less sensational.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PUGGERNAUT posted:

One of the local news stations posted a link about their demands, and the only one they mentioned was "they are forcing him to acknowledge his privilege!!!!" For a town with such a well known journalism school, you'd think they'd be a little less sensational.

You think the better graduate stick around?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Roughly 27,000 of the 35,000 students don't give a poo poo about anything beyond sex, booze, and all-nighters to finish homework.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

1.) It's doubtful he has the support of a majority of students and faculty.
2.) No. hahaha, if 51% of the campus are racists, then that does not mean it is okay for our President not to address institutional racism. That is such a silly view of the world.

Edit: I mean, part of a good president's job should be standing for an oppressed minority against a majority when necessary. So, even if did have the support of the majority, in a case like this, dealing with institutional racism, he absolutely would still be in the wrong.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 9, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I really hope thats a negotiating tactic and they're not trying to draw a line at white male privledge.

Is it legit? Yeah. But holding a white male in Missouri who currently holds a position of power to voluntarily end his political career is a pretty lofty goal which will sink the rest of what you want to achieve.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

smg77 posted:

Where are you seeing him doing fine against Hillary in primary states? I thought all the polling was showing him maybe competitive in NH but Hillary leading by fairly wide margins just about everywhere else.

I saw that one poll where he was ahead of Hillary in Iowa by the margin of error. Apparently it was exactly one poll?

Looks like this one, before Biden was confirmed to not be in the running:
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/bernie-sanders-edges-ahead-hillary-clinton-iowa

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Are the Mizzou activists demanding anything beyond resignation?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

I linked their demands earlier on the page:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...90110b8.pdf.pdf

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Joementum posted:

Yes. Indeed they are. I'm on my phone right now, but if you google Concerned Student 1950 demands it comes up fast. They have 8 demands, resignation is one. They also want to increase black faculty hires. They want a diversity class that is mandatory for graduation I think. They want mental health resources. They want to address retention of students of color. They want the hiring of the president to be more inclusive. I can't remember what else.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

FAUXTON posted:

I like to think that "South Boston" is the part of the city that everyone credits for the lovely behavior of all Bostonites.

Random Masshole rapes a kid? "Naw, he's a Southie." When Brady retires, Gronk and Belichick will become Southies in short order.

Southie is a name for South Boston itself, not a nickname for someone from there

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Thanks for re-linking it. I'm glad to see a bunch of constructive stuff aside from the resignation demand, something I hope campus activists tire of.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Joementum posted:

Thanks for re-linking it. I'm glad to see a bunch of constructive stuff aside from the resignation demand, something I hope campus activists tire of.

Butler has linked his hunger strike to Wolfe's resignation, specifically. I think the rest of the demands have been issued by the LBC. Not sure if Butler has issued anything else. Dude is on day 7.

Note also that those demands were issued before Butler's hunger strike began.

I've made a thread in TFF (the football forum) to try and follow this too, if any of you want a devoted conversation: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750723

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It's amazing how much can be accomplished by working outside of the system. I served a term on the minority affairs committee and spent 3 years as a diversity peer educator out of the multicultural center from '09-12. All throughout that time the same poo poo was going on that it was right now, but everyone felt the need to work with the system since there were all these structures in place to channel people of color into irrelevance. We had one guy even show up to do a speech where he claimed there are racists on all sides, "there was the KKK and the Black Panthers!" During my years there the diversity course proposal was something the administration waffled on and ultimately passed the buck on to faculty council, who then promptly voted it down and went back to business as usual.

This Jonathan Butler guy and the #concernedstudent1950 group work outside the structures the university set up to mollify us and within a few weeks of direct action the administration caved on that and now it looks like there might be a chance for real change on campus. Granted, from what I could gather the culture on campus really started changing after I graduated and social justice went from being something frat boys mocked to being a serious force on campus.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

They'll just merge with r/ronpaul

Why do people keep comparing Sanders to Ron Paul when Larry Lessig is right there?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why do people keep comparing Sanders to Ron Paul when Larry Lessig is right there?

There are nonzero people who care about Sanders and Paul.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Didn't he drop out?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gradenko_2000 posted:

To have Ron Paul style fans you need to have fans.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Peven Stan posted:

This Jonathan Butler guy and the #concernedstudent1950 group work outside the structures the university set up to mollify us and within a few weeks of direct action the administration caved on that and now it looks like there might be a chance for real change on campus.

It's sort of both inside/outside the system, right? Like this is outside the system in terms of outside the traditional modes of dispute resolution and action, but arguably the reason this has such force is because it is in fact very cannily relying upon the central systemic levers of institutional power, i.e. athletics. I definitely agree it shows the power of direct action, though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Peven Stan posted:

Anecdote

Wait, what are you trying to take away from this?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Boon posted:

Wait, what are you trying to take away from this?

It sounds like the idea is that working inside the system was doomed from the start and working outside of the normal channels can actually do something about ingrained injustices.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

The comparison isn't between the candidates. It's between their ridiculous supporters.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

smg77 posted:

The comparison isn't between the candidates. It's between their ridiculous supporters.

People get really chaffed easily.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lotka Volterra posted:

It sounds like the idea is that working inside the system was doomed from the start and working outside of the normal channels can actually do something about ingrained injustices.

Which is kind of what I thought... But Petey describes exactly why that's wishful thinking.

A movement without power is exactly that. It might raise awareness (OWS) but it wont accomplish anything (OWS).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ugh, how dare people be passionate about candidate. How droll. :jerkbag:

I'm glad to see the Mizzou players hitting their incompetent admin right in their pocket book.

Yo shutting down an SEC school's football program is powerful Boon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Boon posted:

Which is kind of what I thought... But Petey describes exactly why that's wishful thinking.

A movement without power is exactly that. It might raise awareness (OWS) but it wont accomplish anything (OWS).

Seems to me that direct action by the football team, outside channels (because legally they're not allowed to strike), is getting things done. This isn't about awareness raising. Meanwhile, sitting down at meetings and talking has gotten nowhere with no leverage. I've seen this type of thing at my university, too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Their opposition will attempt to cut all of the player's scholarships.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

They could probably get offers from any number of Universities who aren't so stupid as to allow idiot racists to gently caress with their football money.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rygar201 posted:

They could probably get offers from any number of Universities who aren't so stupid as to allow idiot racists to gently caress with their football money.

It's not even going to get there. What are they going to do, recruit a new team from scratch? Coaches, too? They're going to have to miss at least a season, probably more, and they know it. Not going to happen. They'll cut a deal.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Seems to me that direct action by the football team, outside channels (because legally they're not allowed to strike), is getting things done. This isn't about awareness raising. Meanwhile, sitting down at meetings and talking has gotten nowhere with no leverage. I've seen this type of thing at my university, too.

I guess we have different definitions of "the system" which probably leads to confusion on my part.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Ugh, how dare people be passionate about candidate. How droll. :jerkbag:

Concocting elaborate paranoid fantisies about how everyone is out to get them is just being passionate.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Boon posted:

I guess we have different definitions of "the system" which probably leads to confusion on my part.

You might very well say that. I couldn't possibly comment.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DemeaninDemon posted:

Roughly 27,000 of the 35,000 students don't give a poo poo about anything beyond sex, booze, and all-nighters to finish homework.
That perfectly describes Indiana University of Pennsylvania where roughly 90% of my graduating class was criminology majors which meant I had to wait 2 hours before I got called up because I took an actually challenging major and not an excuse to party and then get the whole school in trouble when St. Patty's day came and a bunch of douchebag cultists from Penn State came over since Happy Valley closes the bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

achillesforever6 posted:

That perfectly describes Indiana University of Pennsylvania where roughly 90% of my graduating class was criminology majors which meant I had to wait 2 hours before I got called up because I took an actually challenging major and not an excuse to party and then get the whole school in trouble when St. Patty's day came and a bunch of douchebag cultists from Penn State came over since Happy Valley closes the bars.

IUP: I Usually Party.

• Locked thread