Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tamphex
Jun 21, 2003
Meanwhile Archeage is still terrible.

As is my *posting*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was being facetious when I said someone that was playing the game enough to feel a need to open a 2nd "premium account" was casual.

If you feel the need to defend your decision like so it says plenty.

You are an adult and free to choose whatever hobby you want.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I let patron expire and went away for a week and think I'm going to take a break. The question is, what else is worth playing right now? If it's pay to alpha or whatever I don't mind, I just want whatever is fun and good now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Finndo posted:

I let patron expire and went away for a week and think I'm going to take a break. The question is, what else is worth playing right now? If it's pay to alpha or whatever I don't mind, I just want whatever is fun and good now.

Albion Online should hopefully open up for beta soon. That was a bunch of fun. Until then I've been playing Robocraft. Think internet Lego building, but then you strap guns to your Lego machine and blow all the wheels and guns off the other guy's Lego machine and do a doughnut around his mangled heap before he gives up and respawns.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Finndo posted:

Albion Online comes out soon. There is a good core of no-drama goons playing. Check out our thread.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I like everything about Albion except the 2d iso interface... I've never been able to bond with that gameplay. :/ May try it though just cuz. I like the sound of no-drama goons although after Archeage I'm wondering if such a thing is possible! Will follow up with questions on that thread.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Finndo posted:

Other than Albion, there are also Tree of Savior (if you like games like Ragnarok Online) and Blade and Soul.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The best way to play ArcheAge is to uninstall it from your system and sit at your desk quietly.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

The best way to play ArcheAge is to uninstall it from your system and sit at your desk quietly.

And probably sell off the land and gold while you are at it. I did that recently and now I have more money to throw at less horrible games.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

I was being facetious when I said someone that was playing the game enough to feel a need to open a 2nd "premium account" was casual.

If you feel the need to defend your decision like so it says plenty.

You are an adult and free to choose whatever hobby you want.

Pretty sure pocos bill is just trying to bait someone with all his posts that he's super into archeage. And same with responding to your "casual" comment with the typical "I've had sex nerd virgin". :shrug:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Whoa the Troll Accusation, harsh

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Holyshoot posted:

Pretty sure pocos bill is just trying to bait someone with all his posts that he's super into archeage. And same with responding to your "casual" comment with the typical "I've had sex nerd virgin". :shrug:

...but then you would be, I dunno, "Ironically" (?) claiming to be playing one of the worst dumpster fires of a game to happen in a few years.

That may be the only thing that is possibly sadder than actually playing one of the worst dumpster fires of a game to happen in a few years.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

Albion Online comes out soon. There is a good core of no-drama goons playing. Check out our thread.

I dunno, I feel we really need to change that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

Define no-drama. Do they kick :aatrek: types out or people who complain about the :aatrek:?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Their fishing pacts are rock solid.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

they aren't like other goons, they ~hate~ drama

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i actually love it

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
So, with a number of good(?) mmos coming out, I decided to go back and actually try this game while I waited for various beta dates to arrive.

I made it to 25, before realizing I didn't like a single thing about this game. Even with the pseudo-RIFT style class system, the combat is some of the most rote rear end, hotkey spamming, cooldown smashing poo poo I've ever seen.

In this day and age, with games like TERA and GW2 redefining action combat, and titles like Blade & Soul and Black Desert promising truly dynamic combat systems, it's impossible to go back to the slow and repetitive nature of rotations and CD timers.

tl;dr why does anyone play this game

e: Not to mention the previously noted Albion Online, which promises a far more robust and exciting sandbox experience.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Absurd Revolver posted:

I made it to 25, before realizing I didn't like a single thing about this game. Even with the pseudo-RIFT style class system, the combat is some of the most rote rear end, hotkey spamming, cooldown smashing poo poo I've ever seen.

Well, this is a Korean MMO, and over there they love that kind of bland gameplay. They must all hate themselves. Vanilla WoW had more interesting combat 11 years ago.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It seems to me like Koreans just have a higher tolerance for tedious bullshit but then again there are lots of games from other parts of the world that are also full of tedious bullshit. To once and for all find an answer to this I propse we fund an institute where young people with special video game playing powers can learn to control and put them to good use. We could call it the X-Men-Children. Dibs on being Patrick Stewart, that giant rear end room that's just a monitor and you get to control it with your brain is sweet.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Was talking to someone tonight and brought up AA. I went over to their forums to see what was new.

There are new server transfers? lol (or did i just read what someone else mis-read)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Everybody remembers gilda runs, right? Make an elf, run around, talk to a million people, have a few really easy fights. The only fight that was remotely hard was when you rescue the elf king guy from a barn, and this other elf guy turns into a big red gross monster. You didn't actually have to fight the monster though, you could run away and still complete the quest, but you did have to kill one of his bodyguards and it was a tough fight for a gilda run character in their teens to do solo. If you couldn't get help to fight him you might have hop back and forth over the nearby fences to keep him running around while you used ranged attacks. If you were around level 20+ like you are supposed to be in that zone it was pretty easy though. Apparently not easy enough!

I got my gilda run character to level 18 before the fight because I also wanted to use her as a mentee for the sharpwind mines daily. I was pretty sure I could manage it solo, but I was psyched up for a tough fight. Run into the barn, talk to the tied up elf king and . . . there's a cutscene. A loving cutscene. In the cut scene you and the king kill the monster, and then you are teleported outside the barn. :what: They took out the final boss fight why? WHO IS THIS FOR? Any legitimate new player will be over level 20 by the time they get there just from doing all the dumb quests, so they don't need it. Gilda runs were always borderline exploits, and they made them easier.

This game is dumb.

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006
Who gives a gently caress about gilda?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tatersyum posted:

I don't know anything about this bad game now but at the time it came out Gilda were p important

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Who was that shitlord who just ran around freedich all day as a pirate ganking lowbies

Mmts let him in their pirate guild at one point

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

tatersyum posted:

Everyone who wants designs or lots of gold?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Reminds me of the best moment I had in archeage. I thought for some reason you could leave your tutorial pack at home and still get credit for the turn in. But it turns out you just had to get near the turn in with your pack on to get credit. So I started to row back to my plot to get my pack and came accross another dude with the same pack. I then killed him, stole his pack and used it for my quest credit. I then tried to turn it in for Gilda but got murdered. However it didn't matter because it wasn't my pack to begin with.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Holyshoot posted:

Reminds me of the best moment I had in archeage. I thought for some reason you could leave your tutorial pack at home and still get credit for the turn in. But it turns out you just had to get near the turn in with your pack on to get credit. So I started to row back to my plot to get my pack and came accross another dude with the same pack. I then killed him, stole his pack and used it for my quest credit. I then tried to turn it in for Gilda but got murdered. However it didn't matter because it wasn't my pack to begin with.

Killing sad dudes in rowboats carrying single packs was what really made this game for me.

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006

Eonwe posted:

Who was that shitlord who just ran around freedich all day as a pirate ganking lowbies

Mmts let him in their pirate guild at one point

Killing everyone (especially lowbies) and talking poo poo to make them mad was the whole point of the game.

PCOS Bill posted:

Everyone who wants designs or lots of gold?

It's not even lots of gold now. The game throws gilda at you and you can make much more gold in a shorter amount of time than gilda runs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tatersyum posted:

It's not even lots of gold now. The game throws gilda at you and you can make much more gold in a shorter amount of time than gilda runs.

I got 80 gold for that farmhouse design, they've actually held their value pretty well. And while there are plenty of things that could make 80 gold in that amount of time, I don't know of any that could be done on a non-patron account with no labor. I won't be doing it again though, too boring.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay, I'm tired of this game again. If any goon with more money than sense wants to buy my gold I made a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750611

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
I am looking for a MMO to play and I was thinking of trying Archeage again... but I do not know maybe I will not. Anything good about this game?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

darthzeta88 posted:

I am looking for a MMO to play and I was thinking of trying Archeage again... but I do not know maybe I will not. Anything good about this game?

Everything

Neith
Feb 16, 2013

darthzeta88 posted:

No. Unless you want to drop some buckets on it, it's not worth it imo.

If my son wasn't playing my account Id give you mine. It's all play to win imo. I guess in my old age with no time and no desire to spend 1000's on a character it just isn't worth it to me. It has a lot of potential though to be a great game.

NeoSanguine
Jan 7, 2015

This is my swamp.
Wait, people still play this game?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Sunken cost fallacy,

So yes.

(not me though. i bailed as soon as i made my car)

Galaxy Pig
Dec 20, 2012
So, tell me about the griefing that goes on in this game. :3

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Galaxy Pig posted:

months after you remove your payment info they continue to charge your card. Its excellent griefing.

Their anti-cheat put out more false-positives than actual detections. You cant talk to customer support without an active premium account so if you were caught in a banwave you needed to pay for a new account just to get help. What a bunch of griefers!

If you used the rocket boost ability on a certain common mount off a tall cliff the game would detect you were moving too fast for too long and suspend you for speedhacking or teleporting. This is in a game that encourages climbing up high and jumping off tall stuff.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 28, 2015

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Galaxy Pig posted:

There is also using inbuilt game play mechanics that will get you banned because.... (no reason anymore, just gets you banned) so no more using your labor to plant trees on roads to stop haulers.

no more using haulers to make blockades

No more pulling aggro mobs to destroy haulers.

So pretty much trion griefs you if you dare to play the sandbox like a sandbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Blocking and griefing was my main source of entertainment. Archeage used to be a salt factory second to none.

When you aren't griefing your options are to just play the game and holy poo poo there is nothing else to do except make gold mindlessly and play "who swiped the credit card the most" in PVP. If I wanted to grind endlessly for tiny incremental character improvements I'd still be playing Perfect World International.

I've deleted my Archeage install for... I want to say the third time? This time it's for good.

• Locked thread