Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Man, they are ridiculously adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!
Do they just auto tune Rosa to have a deeper voice or something? She sounded completely different in that video!

I'd feel betrayed if it wasn't for the fact that she is smoking hot! drat!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I really really like this show and it's a shame that it really doesn't seem to be on anyones radar. One of those rare shows where I belly laugh more than once per episode!

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

adrenaline_junket posted:

Do they just auto tune Rosa to have a deeper voice or something? She sounded completely different in that video!

She's an actress with a host of stage experience, it's not that surprising that she changes the tone of her voice.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Son of Rodney posted:

I really really like this show and it's a shame that it really doesn't seem to be on anyones radar. One of those rare shows where I belly laugh more than once per episode!

I've recommended it highly to a bunch of people and without fail I end up having to explain that it's really good even if you don't like samberg's SNL stuff (I wasn't a huge fan of him like some people seemed to be). The selling point that usually gets people interested is when I tell them that the rest of the cast is incredible and you could argue that samberg is one of the weaker members, along with how the episodes focus on different characters (and character pairings) nearly every week.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I've recommended it highly to a bunch of people and without fail I end up having to explain that it's really good even if you don't like samberg's SNL stuff (I wasn't a huge fan of him like some people seemed to be). The selling point that usually gets people interested is when I tell them that the rest of the cast is incredible and you could argue that samberg is one of the weaker members, along with how the episodes focus on different characters (and character pairings) nearly every week.

I've heard this excuse before as well and I don't understand it because the only funny thing SNL has done in 40 years is anal bum cover. It's not just a samburg thing.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I liked Samberg's SNL stuff but even I didn't bother with the show till season 2 because I just don't expect good comedies from Fox, and I thought the Samberg pick was just them trying to get whoever was popular to try to get viewers. Glad I was wrong.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Je suis fatigue posted:

I liked Samberg's SNL stuff but even I didn't bother with the show till season 2 because I just don't expect good comedies from Fox, and I thought the Samberg pick was just them trying to get whoever was popular to try to get viewers. Glad I was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDxrTzMXJe8

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's shown up on a few Must Watch lists like this one from one of my local radio stations
http://indie88.com/9-tv-shows-you-should-be-watching/

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
You know, I think I'm OK with a show I like not getting too popular.

A bit of characterization I don't buy is Amy being a terrible cook. It's just following instructions - what could she possibly be better at?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Whiz Palace posted:

A bit of characterization I don't buy is Amy being a terrible cook. It's just following instructions - what could she possibly be better at?

Many cooking instructions are incredibly vague and require skill and experience. What the gently caress precisely is "golden brown"?, how much is a "pinch"? etc. I totally buy that the by the book character has trouble when the book isn't precise.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I can buy Amy having trouble with any recipe that says "until thickened" or "don't overmix".

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Cooking is an art, baking is a science. I bet she's a great baker.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could see Amy going "no I'm going to cook on instinct and not look at the book!" in some misguided attempt t try to avoid being by the book all the time.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Red Oktober posted:

Cooking is an art, baking is a science. I bet she's a great baker.

She saw nothing wrong with substituting salt for baking powder because they're both white powders

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tsaedje posted:

She saw nothing wrong with substituting salt for baking powder because they're both white powders

Statement withdrawn. Goddrat Amy.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Yeah, I'm a fantastic baker and a mediocre cook, but I'm working on that! A dear friend of mine is the opposite because she hates following precise directions. I've baked enough that I'm good at adapting but cooking I'm still like wtf is this pork done or what???

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I've read that the show is close enough to having enough episodes for a good syndication run that Season 4 will most likely happen, but after that unless ratings dramatically improve that would probably be it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've read that the show is close enough to having enough episodes for a good syndication run that Season 4 will most likely happen, but after that unless ratings dramatically improve that would probably be it.

Basically, any sitcom that has a Season 3 automatically gets a Season 4 pickup as well for syndication reasons. That's why the Season 2 -> Season 3 pick up is the most important for a show.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Klungar posted:

Basically, any sitcom that has a Season 3 automatically gets a Season 4 pickup as well for syndication reasons. That's why the Season 2 -> Season 3 pick up is the most important for a show.

Happy Endings would like a word with you.

:(

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Can one of you yanks explain syndication to me please?

TIA

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

^^

wikipedia posted:

In broadcasting, syndication is the licensing of the right to broadcast television and radio programs by multiple television and radio stations, without going through a broadcast network. It is common in countries where broadcast programming is scheduled by television networks with local independent affiliates, particularly in the United States. Syndication is less common in the rest of the world, as most countries have centralized networks or television stations without local affiliates and syndication, although shows can also be syndicated internationally.

meatbag posted:

Happy Endings would like a word with you.

:(

Only really applies to shows that have 22 episode seasons. Happy Endings was 13 i believe.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 7, 2015

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_syndication

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Only really applies to shows that have 22 episode seasons. Happy Endings was 13 i believe.
S1 was 13; S2 was 21 and S3 was 23. I think the first season's short run made it miss that bridge towards an S4 and syndication.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can somebody explain syndication more clearly? I still don't get what the number of episodes have to do with it and why it's desirable enough to renew a season.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Behold, the glory of the information age!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When a show gets a good amount of episodes under its belt, it's sold off to other channels to re-run for a good amount of money. Therefore shows that are close to that 100 episode mark tend to get renewals because it's more likely to make a chunk of cash then.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

EL BROMANCE posted:

When a show gets a good amount of episodes under its belt, it's sold off to other channels to re-run for a good amount of money. Therefore shows that are close to that 100 episode mark tend to get renewals because it's more likely to make a chunk of cash then.

Channels purchasing shows for syndication want a show with a large number of episodes so they can play them in rotation without repeating too often. 100 episodes used to be the number for this, but now it is closer to 88 or even lower. Four seasons of 22 episodes gets you there these days.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Can somebody explain syndication more clearly? I still don't get what the number of episodes have to do with it and why it's desirable enough to renew a season.

it's the main way network shows get monetized

until a show is syndicated it's literally a millions and millions of dollars expenditure that doesn't get its costs offset besides advertising, which almost never is enough to pay for show production (especially after the network takes its cut from advertising, which is how they make money). unless the show is a massive mega-hit advertising dollars are a decent way to offset costs of production, but not huge, and a lot to most of that money made goes to the network itself over the studio producing it

when a show is syndicated it essentially pays for itself in perpetuity forever. the network who bought syndication rights firstly pays a large upfront sum to the producing studio for rebroadcast rights, then pays a smaller but still significant chunk of change every time an episode of the show is aired on the network

syndication is also additive; unless the network in question pays for sole syndication rights (which balloons costs for the network buying syndication rights massively) the studio can shop syndication rights to every network under the sun, which is how you get situations like Law and Order being a mainstay on a zillion different channels at once. all of them are paying a sum- a small sum, but a sum nonetheless- every time an episode of L&O airs on their channel, which all adds up

to make this worth it for networks seeking syndicated programming (cable channels, since paying for original content is incredibly comparatively expensive and it's still much, much cheaper and more easy to build a brand off of syndicated programming), the old truism used to be at least enough episodes so the channel could air two episodes a day, every day, for two months. If youre a cable channel seeking syndicated programming you don't want episodes to be repeated every other week, which is what you get if you buy rebroadcast rights to, say, a 13-episode single season show. Networks figured out that repeating programming every other months is infrequent enough that viewers won't care or notice

Two episodes a day every day for two months works out to be about one hundred-ish episodes, but ever since about a little past the turn of the century that number dropped to 88 episodes, with the modern-day "magic number" being around eightyish nowadays. This is for myriad reasons, but three main ones: one, there's more networks than ever meaning that they're all the more desperate for content to air of any type meaning that syndication deals are easier than ever for studios to make. two, there's been a rise in shorter-run seasons of television and an increasing focus on limited-run programming with definite beginning and end dates, in direct contrast to eighties-era TV that focused on renewal above all else. 11-season shows like Cheers just wouldn't happen in today's television landscape outside of extreme outliers like TWD or maybe, maybe Modern Family, so there's less episodes to play with across the board. and, finally, the increasing popularity of streaming and on-demand services mean that there's ever more options for syndication/rebroadcasting rights, and on-demand and streaming services monetize their broadcasting differently - with less of a focus on varied programming and more of a focus of quantity of programming. Netflix doesn't care how many episodes of X show they can show in favor of how many episodes of programming, overall, they can show, so it views having a 13-episode single-season show as having 13 more episodes in addition to the thousands and thousands over other episodes they already have. They're not a traditional network that's limited by physical time and hours in the day and have to prioritize what they air in some form, so care less about depth and more about breadth.

In any case what this means is that for all intents and purposes if your show is renewed for a season three you are renewed for a season four barring something ludicrous and extreme happening. If you're running broadcast network standard episode counts by the time you're renewed for a season three the studio ahs already invested the literal dozens of millions of dollars to produce 66 episodes of programming, so a dozen more or so for 22 episodes to bring it past syndication threshold is comparatively tiny. The studio has to throw the good money after the bad even if your show is a critical failure that gets terrible ratings. No matter how loving atrociously bad it is, some network or streaming service will pay the studio for rebroadcasting rights because it has enough original episodes to make it worth it, and that's literally one of the only ways that the studio can recoup their money spent

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 7, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You have fudge on cheek.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Holt has the worst breakup advice.

EDIT: He has so. Many. Emotions.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 9, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Holt has the worst breakup advice.

EDIT: He has so. Many. Emotions.

Kevin said we were both "sociopaths".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Kevin said we were both "sociopaths".

So you're dumping him, right?

They've done a great job with the pair-ups for this episode.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
God there are so many amazing pairings on this show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I am Vanessa Santiago and I am about to blow your minds.

This episode is gold.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fun Terry is dead. He starved to death an hour ago.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like a lot, Vanessa!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You're gonna die out here Jake

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I called first spoon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
"We're both great at this!"

Like some little girl's gonna take down Yuri Jargenoff

• Locked thread