Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

TKIY posted:

I'll need to get the rules but that's the Alpha Legion rule that let's them take special units from other legions, correct?

Yup! Like I told the guys I play with, leave it to me to pick the most complicated and expensive to collect legion...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I've decided on AL, one of the things I'll be getting after the Calth box is a Word Bearers Gal Vorbak squad and maybe a Night Lords Terror Squad. I've got a couple of old school Rhino models and just got a Fire Raptor, and I'll probably get Sicarans or something next year. Then maybe the Imperial Fists mega-terminators just for laughs.

Keep in mind a couple of things about that ability to incorporate another legion-specific units:

1. It's part of their Rite of War (Coils of the Hydra).
2. There's a lot of restrictions attached to it. One extra compulsory troop choice; all units must have a dedicated transport or be able to Deep Strike or Infiltrate; only one Consul allowed.
3. It's still just one unit. Not unit type; a singular unit.

This makes Coils pretty drat hard to use at low points, and still very restrictive at higher levels.

e. Assembled my old Sicaran at last. Kind of sad the pieces fit kinda of bleh at the back, but it was already a pain enough to fix and adjust.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 8, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Alpha Legion, Word Bearers, can take advantage of the models the easiest. Salamanders, Emperors Children, World Eaters, can make good use of the models.

Nope, just can't pick. My EC test model ended up looking a little flat, so going to have rethink using the GW purples. Would be just too much mixing to get a smooth highlight, it seems to go Dark Purple > Purple > Pink with no light purple from GW.

With World Eaters, would I need to get some chain axes or some poo poo for them?

Can Word Bearers be grey or were they all red by the Heresy?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mango Polo posted:

Keep in mind a couple of things about that ability to incorporate another legion-specific units:

2. There's a lot of restrictions attached to it. One extra compulsory troop choice; all units must have a dedicated transport or be able to Deep Strike or Infiltrate; only one Consul allowed.

This makes Coils pretty drat hard to use at low points, and still very restrictive at higher levels.

Yeah the low point level distinction is actually good for me, it means I won't be rushing out to buy those squads during the first several months of the escalation league. I told my group on our WhatsApp chat that I really wish we'd done this when we started playing 40K, as I would have saved so much money.

Also it means I can keep a lookout for cool Land Raider variants...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IIRC Word Bearers were all red by Calth.

During Istvaan it was majority just the Gal Vorbak.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

Yup! Like I told the guys I play with, leave it to me to pick the most complicated and expensive to collect legion...

Yeah I was thinking AL as well but maybe not, I don't need another huge project.

Iron Hands would be my second choice.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Can Word Bearers be grey or were they all red by the Heresy?

Great Crusade - Grey.
Early Heresy - Grey, Gal Vorbak/Serrated Suns in Red.
Heresy - Progressively everyone started shifting to red.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Is there a similar color guide for Dark Angels? I know there's no color plates for them yet as their black book isn't out yet, but one of the players in my group is doing DA and wants me to paint them for him. They seem to be black with silver and white bits, and red wings on the shoulder pauldrons: https://goo.gl/photos/qfMoa3xkiJuN1Nav6

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Is there a similar color guide for Dark Angels? I know there's no color plates for them yet as their black book isn't out yet, but one of the players in my group is doing DA and wants me to paint them for him. They seem to be black with silver and white bits, and red wings on the shoulder pauldrons: https://goo.gl/photos/qfMoa3xkiJuN1Nav6

There's a lot of variation within each legion (especially since the HH books fleshed out the various sub-groups), go for what you think might look coolest.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 8, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Terror squads also have precision shot. Quite good in a realm of apothecaries and 2+ save sergeants.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mango Polo posted:

Going off what I'm reading, doesn't Coils also forbid traitor units from taking any of their home legion's unique wargear, and swap their home legion's rules for the Alpha's? So Imperial Fists terminators (something he mentioned as something he wanted to grab) would just be bog standard Alpha Legion terminators - what makes Fist terminators really good is their legion's rules and equipment.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Cythereal posted:

Going off what I'm reading, doesn't Coils also forbid traitor units from taking any of their home legion's unique wargear, and swap their home legion's rules for the Alpha's? So Imperial Fists terminators (something he mentioned as something he wanted to grab) would just be bog standard Alpha Legion terminators - what makes Fist terminators really good is their legion's rules and equipment.

Im pretty sure it allows wargear, but the legiones astartes (less cool legion) gets switched to legiones astartes (alpha legion)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Which can be drat amazing. Tank Hunters free for my siege tyrants? Why yes, yes I will

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I want to see what they do with Blood Angels and Dark Angels before I pick a legion, but I bought the first three campaign setting books. I looked at the pdfs of the books and thought they were pretty awesome. Storytime for me.

Leaning towards Emperor's Children or Word Bearers at the moment. But feel bad being a traitor.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 9, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
The worst part about doing Alpha Legion is how much the novel about them blew rear end. It was worse than the ones about Dark Angels tooling around on their home world.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
The way Coils and wargear works is that the stolen unit can take anything explicitly listed in the unit entry, which excludes anything granted solely by a Legiones Astartes rule. So, a Raven Guard Dark Fury squad could not be equipped entirely with Raven's Claws (the unit entry only mentions the unit leader, even though according to the LA rule the entire unit could upgrade some stuff if they wanted to). However, your Firedrakes can all take shields, as their entry lists the shields as an option. There's been a lot of type shed on this issue throughout the AL social media-sphere.

Don't even ask about Headhunters and their combi-weapons.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

muggins posted:

The worst part about doing Alpha Legion is how much the novel about them blew rear end. It was worse than the ones about Dark Angels tooling around on their home world.

I didn't understand the novel. Do they have two primarchs? Are they really good guys in disguise? It was confusing.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So I'm still wrapping my head around basic builds, but it seems like an Elite choice of Apothecaries are basically automatic? A low price for FNP for a whole unit sounds great, especially on large units.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

DeadGame posted:

I didn't understand the novel. Do they have two primarchs? Are they really good guys in disguise? It was confusing.

I like to think that Omegon is basically Tyler Durden. I don't think anyone ever actually sees the two of them together.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

So I'm still wrapping my head around basic builds, but it seems like an Elite choice of Apothecaries are basically automatic? A low price for FNP for a whole unit sounds great, especially on large units.

Yeah, in our group 20 marines + Apothecary is basically standard.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Fearless posted:

I like to think that Omegon is basically Tyler Durden. I don't think anyone ever actually sees the two of them together.

I'm 99% positive that Alpharius and Omegon get called out close to the end as being two separate people who for some reason share the same soul. How that works or how it happened is another question entirely.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muggins posted:

It also hosed up the story of the Heresy, cause now Abnett has to cram some dumb bullshit about his immortal spy into every book.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DeadGame posted:

Leaning towards Emperor's Children or Word Bearers at the moment. But feel bad being a traitor.

Well there was a chunk of loyalist EC led by Saul Tarvitz. Don't know if any made it off Isstvan but since they've been so cagey about Saul's death they might be saving it for a novel with him getting off planet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well there was a chunk of loyalist EC led by Saul Tarvitz. Don't know if any made it off Isstvan but since they've been so cagey about Saul's death they might be saving it for a novel with him getting off planet.

Rylanor was also a loyalist and he disappeared on Istvaan, no word on his fate either way.

Hell, there was a loyalist Word Bearer in one of the books. Would also be easy to justify some loyalist as EC as a company that was off in the rear end-end of the galaxy and is now very confused as they're trying to come back and reestablish contact with the Imperium. That's how a bunch of loyalist Iron Warriors show up in the books - just companies and detachments who completely missed the corruption of their legion and are siding with the Imperial loyalists because what the gently caress happened to their legion.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DeadGame posted:

Play your space barbies how you want but remember that you're bitchmade if you don't side with Horus.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The original term for shattered legions included not only only the ones on Istvaan V but also among all the legions both loyal and traitor some companies split off.

In some cases the Warrior Lodges were able to infiltrate all the legions to a degree. Some loyal legions had companies turn against them. Many of the traitor legions remained loyal. Some vanished, others absorbed into other legions.

You had Fallen Dark Angels, 1k sons not on Prospero, task forces for Night Lords, EC, and the like that could have gone either way. There's years where everything was pure bedlam. I'm sure I even read about the most steadfast legions like the SW/UM/IF having some parts break away.

I'm almost sure Tarvitz, Garro, and Half-Heard were not the only who didn't turn. I also am fairly sure in the months-long campaign on Istvaan III many of the purged were able to get away.

PantsOptional posted:

I'm 99% positive that Alpharius and Omegon get called out close to the end as being two separate people who for some reason share the same soul. How that works or how it happened is another question entirely.

I like this just as much as the split personality theory. Tbh I like that it's not going to be answered.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm sure I even read about the most steadfast legions like the SW/UM/IF having some parts break away.

One of the preview images for Shattered Legions in the next HH book included a traitor Space Wolf tank, so yep.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I was going to say that the two bodies, one soul thing was explicitly confirmed in the book, but then I remembered it was Alpharius/Omegon who confirmed it, so really it's anyone's guess at this point.

As far as the "secret good guys" thing, I think that later books may have implied that they decided to hedge their bets, but ultimately it doesn't matter. The Legion is so secretive that even if they had started with the intention of being the good guys, the vast majority of the Legion would be unaware of the decision and would simply think they had sided with the Warmaster. Between the secrecy about the affair and the corrupting effects of Chaos, most of the Legion has likely drunk the Kool-Aid and believes themselves to be actual Chaos by the time 40k rolls around.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's also pretty much confirmed by John Gramaticus and the alien council.

The going theory is that the Alpha Legion has a split, with Alpharius going all in with the Heresy and Omegon deciding to return to the Emperor. Eventually Omegon joins Garro's group, and becomes Janus, the first Supreme Grand Master of the Grey Knights.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

Play your space barbies how you want but remember that you're bitchmade if you don't side with Horus.

Can confirm I is bitchmade.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

How many points is the Calth set?
I hope they bring out more plastics, the price of resin upgrade kits is insane and with this calth set I can't really make the best legions I.e. white scars and world eaters

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Actually come to think of it it's crazy they didn't put the sons of horus in there given theyr the one unique chapter to 30k

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If they do plastic Legion upgrade sprues, I hope they add a little more variety to some of them. The Ultramarines and the Raven Guard helmets have like three or four slight variations, but the Emperor's Children helmets are all identical.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I just wish the box was 100 which I would have paid for in spite of loathing current edition era 40k. ( I have basically decided to only play 2nd ed or not play at all. Unless Space Crusade and it's similar games count as 40k.)

Like... Why make some new game nobody gives a drat about? Grab people into 40k by basically cut and pasting the Dark Vengeance set and lift some rules from Forge World. I mean I would love to have some historical armor but at 150 no loving way no loving how. ( yes it's cheaper than FW. It's not cheaper than other better games!)

Oh well. GW gonna GW. :smith:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Wait wait wait. Hold the fuckinh boat. Alpha Legion praevian with castellax can get BOTH infiltrate and tank hunter due to only the robots exchanging the legiones astartes?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Imperial Fists don't have a unique terminator option, so that's not something Rewards can be used on.
But of those unique units, they can take any cool toys that are on the unit's entry... but not the toys that are in the Legion entry.

E.g. steal some Word Bearers, but you can't equip tainted weapons (not an option on the unit entries).
Meanwhile you can steal Firedrake Terminators and give them Dragonscale stormshields, because despite those being Legion gear, the option to buy them is duplicated in their entry.

Kind of weird and messy if you're not careful.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 9, 2015

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

If there are any Blood Angels fluff nutts out there, I am getting a few Assault Marines and I was wondering if 30k ASM use the yellow helmet colors like their 40k counterparts... I wish the drat HH:6 book wouldn't of been pushed back until February...

Also, looking at possibly running them with combat shields. Anyone out there know a good alternative to the FW Shields that come with the Breachers?

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 9, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I ran the numbers in the 40 Kay thread, but Calth is about 900 points naked. You'll never run it that way, so it's much closer to 1600 points after wargear. It's a solid box, just missing some rhinos or apothecaries depending on what kind of army you want to play.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Wait wait wait. Hold the fuckinh boat. Alpha Legion praevian with castellax can get BOTH infiltrate and tank hunter due to only the robots exchanging the legiones astartes?

The way it's written, you have to pick one or the other. However, there is a loophole- if your legion special rule fonfers over to the unit you can double dip like you're suggesting. It's pretty clear that this was not the intention, but :effort: forgeworld editing

PierreTheMime posted:

If you run blobs it's hard not to take them. When it comes to troops the most common builds I see are full blobs with apothecaries, naked blobs of 15, or 10 dudes in a rhino. Rarely I'll see 10 guys just standing around camping something or in a drop pod. This is just for tacticals mind you.

Blobs are fun and can be thrifty, but they are slow and easy to predict. You'll need some other scoring fast attack element if you go all blob all the time. Also prey you never encounter an artillery heavy army.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

This is all very speculative, I don't know if I'd ever get into 30k, but how are Death Guard? Is the Calth box a good starting point for them? What's a good playstyle for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I really like the look of Deimos-pattern Rhinos, but I'm a bit bummed that Forgeworld doesn't seem to offer just the upgrade bitz and has instead decided to sell the whole kit for a remarkable sum. Do people just use standard Rhinos or how do you all go about it?