Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Giving guard to the blitzers is inefficient. Best to have guard/stand firm on the strongest players so they get the enemy team blocks. A 3 str player with guard is not that scary because you can hit that player first with a 4 str player and get 2 dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Hryme posted:

A 3 str player with guard is not that scary because you can hit that player first with a 4 str player and get 2 dice.

no player with guard is 'scary', guard is not 'scary' in and of itself. guard is most effective when more people have it, which is precisely why orcs are a grand punching team until claws start coming out; their skill access and starting skill distribution means that on most TVs, they will have more guard than the other guy. and when compared to lizards it's a LOT more.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Orks can also attempt the throwing game if you really fancy it. If you get stuck against a team you can't outbash you have a chance of at least throwing a decent pass.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Hryme posted:

Well the problem with Orcs is that if you get outbashed you don't really have that many more options. So when I meet a team that is stronger than me the games usually become a huge struggle. Examples are Lizardmen with Kroxigor and Chaos with the Minotaur. Thats why I like to have a troll with guard in addition to my 4 black orcs with guard so there is very few teams that is stronger. The troll basically is there to give assists and he is always the last one to block, and in many turns there is no targets left for him to block when the rest of the team is done. I have tried running orc teams without the troll quite a few times, but getting outbashed as Orcs is really not something I enjoy.

You are backwards, if you are playing against a big guy you just mark it with a skillless 50k lineman and then go back to whatever you are doing (even better one with block and watch his big guy get hosed). If you are getting out-bashed because of a big guy then you need to try a different approach. Your orc lineman also has a great path to advancement and is going to live forever with AV9 and a block/guard lineman is waaayyyy less TV than a troll, which also happens to be the worst of the bad big guys.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 9, 2015

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I guess you are correct. Still some players need tackle and mighty blow as their first two skills. With no tackle on the team losses against elves/skaven are very hard to avoid.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So when I said that it can't just be that Big Guys are defined by being poo poo, I guess I was wrong - Big Guys that aren't poo poo (due to lack of Bonehead, Wild Animal et al) aren't Big Guys, they're good players.

Coolguye posted:

no player with guard is 'scary', guard is not 'scary' in and of itself. guard is most effective when more people have it, which is precisely why orcs are a grand punching team until claws start coming out; their skill access and starting skill distribution means that on most TVs, they will have more guard than the other guy. and when compared to lizards it's a LOT more.

The way I see Guard is similar to Shadowing and Diving Tackle, in that it's at its most potent when your opponent forgets who has it. Now, it's not as noticeable as with Shadowing and Diving Tackle, but there are some moments where you've got like five Guard players in a big clusterfuck, and your opponent tries to set up a punching chain, and then all of a sudden it turns out that the 2DB he thought he had is actually a 1DB because he forgot about that one Guard player in the middle of the clusterfuck, and he can't get to him because there's other players with Guard around him and it all turns into a big mess for him. To that end, having a lot of Guard on your team is a good idea if you're the punchy type, because it can make your punching so much easier and their punching so much harder. Then you get Stand Firm and it's even more annoying.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hryme posted:

I guess you are correct. Still some players need tackle and mighty blow as their first two skills. With no tackle on the team losses against elves/skaven are very hard to avoid.

Nah, do the 2/1 grind. If they go first, let them score early and then punch them as much as you can, before running it in as late as it is safe to. 2nd half just apply step two.

If you get the ball first its just the above in reverse.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 9, 2015

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Hmm. so you are saying you are able to do that almost every match against a competent elf team that screens well in columns of 2? A good elf player will not score fast but wait until he has to because of pressure on the ball carrier. You make it sound like it is a formality.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I posted a game where I did that on this very thread. It happened on the last page.

And yes, I do this regularly. Occasionally the dice don't roll my way and I can't keep the ball covered, occasionally every punch I throw kills an elf, its the way of the game.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I have done it too, doesn't mean I would recommend getting no tackle on a team because "just doing the 2-1 grind" is a great plan.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Hryme posted:

Tackle/frenzy on the blitzers, lineman all should probably get block/guard, not fast enough to blitz and catch elves. If you are playing against someone who lets you punch all his elves with your extra tackle all over the place then he's a bad and you didn't need the extra tackle in the first place.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 9, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hryme posted:

I have done it too, doesn't mean I would recommend getting no tackle on a team because "just doing the 2-1 grind" is a great plan.

I'd actually recommend skipping the mighty blow for some utility skills. You seem like you're really focused on the "bash them dead" side, which won't always work.

E: In fact, it seems like you want a team that will outbash everyone yet still able to catch elves. This isn't going to happen at all.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 9, 2015

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Washout posted:

Tackle/frenzy on the blitzers, lineman all should probably get block/guard, not fast enough to blitz and catch elves neway.

LInemen need double for guard

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Hryme posted:

LInemen need double for guard

I still don't like taking a lot of tackle. I prefer one or two and a few frenzy instead. But yeah totally right.

If I was going to develop a hyper TV efficient orc team for an open league I'd want to maximize the amount of guard asap, I'd make one blitzer dedicated to killing elves with tackle/frenzy/MB, but the rest would get guard first and the blorcs would all get guard second after block. Then you can spread out with a few more utility skills later and start picking up MB and PO. Maybe get one more block/tackle/frenzy lineorc for emergencies, but you need all the guard you can get, especially in an open league where you are a lot less likely to face fragile teams and your specialized elf killer will get a lot of work done. In this kind of case you don't even want a thrower or you fire the thrower once you are able to give a lineorc leader instead but that's pretty inefficient too.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 9, 2015

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I only take 2 blitzers with tackle. And I like stand firm a lot, probably more than what is really wise so I tend to have stand firm as an early skill on all my blitzers. I would normally not consider guard on blitzers before the 3rd skill, which is why I like to include the Troll. But I can see that my way of doing that is maybe not the best way.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Hryme posted:

I only take 2 blitzers with tackle. And I like stand firm a lot, probably more than what is really wise so I tend to have stand firm as an early skill on all my blitzers. I would normally not consider guard on blitzers before the 3rd skill, which is why I like to include the Troll. But I can see that my way of doing that is maybe not the best way.

I'd take stand firm on a block/dodge/guard dude but probably not in any other circumstance. It's probably the whole reason you are having problems. But hey my favorite team I ever saw was a gimmick lizard team called "the shadowing" even his krox had shadow.

An orc team named "don't back down" with shitloads of stand firm would be amazing tho.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i actually like block -> frenzy on blorcs. blorcs have poo poo MA so they're not gonna move much beyond blocking, might as well give them frenzy so they can shove their way into the middle of a fight. it's where they belong anyway.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Coolguye posted:

i actually like block -> frenzy on blorcs. blorcs have poo poo MA so they're not gonna move much beyond blocking, might as well give them frenzy so they can shove their way into the middle of a fight. it's where they belong anyway.

It's taken as a 5th or 6th skill on them generally (either before or after pro or tackle depending), if you are doing it before block/guard/mb/po then uhhhh. Although you might make a case for building one as block/guard/stand firm/frenzy, but that seems pretty terrible in my eyes when you could have block/guard/mb/po instead.

If I got +STR on any orc I'd probably give it frenzy next level up though.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 9, 2015

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Btw i take guard before block on the black orcs. Their job and the trolls job is to be assist machines. I would not wait until the 2nd skill to get guards on the black orcs because that would take forever. In that case I would have to have guard on one or two of my blitzers early. Anyway I think this is mosty a difference in preference. I think the trolls unreliability is acceptable for the benefit of having another str 5 body on the field with guard while I guess more sane people do not.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Hryme posted:

Stand Firm is a really useful complement to Guard and amazingly obnoxious if that Guard piece is also a Blodger, but on its own it's applications are much more niche. Sure, your guy can't get pushed out of position, but if he isn't radiating negative assists with Guard then it probably doesn't matter that much. Guard is probably the most important skill in the game for winning Bash wars and being able to have eight dudes with it as their first or second skills is a big part of what makes Orcs a competitive bash team.

Prioritizing Stand Firm over staple bash skills like Guard is indeed likely to be the source of many of your problems with Orcs.

Hryme posted:

Btw i take guard before block on the black orcs. Their job and the trolls job is to be assist machines. I would not wait until the 2nd skill to get guards on the black orcs because that would take forever. In that case I would have to have guard on one or two of my blitzers early. Anyway I think this is mosty a difference in preference. I think the trolls unreliability is acceptable for the benefit of having another str 5 body on the field with guard while I guess more sane people do not.

I honestly don't like to get all tryhard :spergin: over games that were clearly meant to be played with a beer in one hand, but the issue with the Troll isn't just that he's unreliable; it's that he represents a big bloat in TV, and Orcs are a team that falls apart at high TV so paying attention to TV efficiency is something of a necessary evil. A Troll with Guard is 130k TV, which could be replaced for equal TV by a lino and then Guard on four of your other players.

You probably want to get Block over Guard on your Black Orcs unless you desperately need the skill for your next match or something. Block is a stupendously good skill for anyone who plans to spend time throwing and receiving punches, and being able to throw safe 2dbs will let your Blorcs level up to their second skill much more quickly.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 9, 2015

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hryme posted:

Block is better. Objectively and mathematically. Guard is great but a 3 die without Block is more likely to result in failure than a 2 die with Block and being a strength 4 piece with lots of strong friends makes a 2 die block easy to get for Black Orcs. Block is the best bash skill in the game followed by Guard. Get Block before Guard and you'll probably have a much better time. Block first also helps them get casualties faster than Guard which helps them level up and solve the other problem you mention.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dear cyanide. Please stop disabling my blitz because I tried a different move path. It's really fuckin annoying.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

Dear cyanide. Please stop disabling my blitz because I tried a different move path. It's really fuckin annoying.

All 3 games should have an undo button as long as no dice have been rolled yet for that move.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Voyager I posted:

Stand Firm is a really useful complement to Guard and amazingly obnoxious if that Guard piece is also a Blodger, but on its own it's applications are much more niche. Sure, your guy can't get pushed out of position, but if he isn't radiating negative assists with Guard then it probably doesn't matter that much. Guard is probably the most important skill in the game for winning Bash wars and being able to have eight dudes with it as their first or second skills is a big part of what makes Orcs a competitive bash team.

Prioritizing Stand Firm over staple bash skills like Guard is indeed likely to be the source of many of your problems with Orcs.

I honestly don't like to get all tryhard :spergin: over games that were clearly meant to be played with a beer in one hand, but the issue with the Troll isn't just that he's unreliable; it's that he represents a big bloat in TV, and Orcs are a team that falls apart at high TV so paying attention to TV efficiency is something of a necessary evil. A Troll with Guard is 130k TV, which could be replaced for equal TV by a lino and then Guard on four of your other players.

You probably want to get Block over Guard on your Black Orcs unless you desperately need the skill for your next match or something. Block is a stupendously good skill for anyone who plans to spend time throwing and receiving punches, and being able to throw safe 2dbs will let your Blorcs level up to their second skill much more quickly.

Being able to cover the sidelines with a guy with stand firm so there is no fear of him being pushed out I find to be a great strategical advantage. But getting more than two early I agree is probably overkill.

EthanSteele posted:

Block is better. Objectively and mathematically. Guard is great but a 3 die without Block is more likely to result in failure than a 2 die with Block and being a strength 4 piece with lots of strong friends makes a 2 die block easy to get for Black Orcs. Block is the best bash skill in the game followed by Guard. Get Block before Guard and you'll probably have a much better time. Block first also helps them get casualties faster than Guard which helps them level up and solve the other problem you mention.

When you are taking your turn it is correct, however what you are underestimating is how hard it is for people to find good blocks against you in their turn when you have a frontline of high str players with guard. Especially when they have almost none themselves which often happens when I take guard first. Many teams have problems finding more than one block per turn with more than 1 die. And in many games even bashy teams take a look at my line of scrimmage consisting of 2 black orcs with guard and a troll with guard and decide it is not worth it so they avoid it. I also place one guy one step diagonally behind the line so they can't just get an extra assist by moving one more piece to the side of the line unless he has guard. Of course this is slightly risky if they get quick snap. My defensive record with orcs is very good so I do think this is a big reason for it. However I have no real scientific evidence of course.

I would just like to say that I have no problems with my orc teams. It is the team I am most successful with. I have a very positive win score with all my orc teams. You guys seem to think I am losing with them which is not the case at all.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Block is also one of the best defensive skills in the game, since it removes one of the dice results that can result in your player being knocked down.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Hryme posted:

Being able to cover the sidelines with a guy with stand firm so there is no fear of him being pushed out I find to be a great strategical advantage. But getting more than two early I agree is probably overkill.

When you are taking your turn it is correct, however what you are underestimating is how hard it is for people to find good blocks against you in their turn when you have a frontline of high str players with guard. Especially when they have almost none themselves which often happens when I take guard first. Many teams have problems finding more than one block per turn with more than 1 die. And in many games even bashy teams take a look at my line of scrimmage consisting of 2 black orcs with guard and a troll with guard and decide it is not worth it so they avoid it. I also place one guy one step diagonally behind the line so they can't just get an extra assist by moving one more piece to the side of the line unless he has guard. Of course this is slightly risky if they get quick snap. My defensive record with orcs is very good so I do think this is a big reason for it. However I have no real scientific evidence of course.

I would just like to say that I have no problems with my orc teams. It is the team I am most successful with. I have a very positive win score with all my orc teams. You guys seem to think I am losing with them which is not the case at all.
Getting even one early is overkill and 2+ puts you right into gimmick team land.

But do whatever you want, that's why this game is awesome. I've been playing vampires for a long time and still never have gotten one with str5, even though that's the reason I started playing them in the first place. I want my str 5 super vampire dammit!

But don't think that your terrible team is good, and that build is winning you games, because it's really not, because even the average terrible BB goon like myself is miles better than those pubbies. Hell just playing optimized order of operations will probably win you 75% of your games in that open league.

On defense you put the troll and two blorcs on the line? You should be putting the troll and two linemen, especially against any bash team and certainly vs. chaos.

Washout fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 9, 2015

Cpt Stabbin
Jul 16, 2003

I ride zee boat and take it in zee poopah!

dogstile posted:

My Krox has block, gently caress the haters.

E: Any touchbacks go to the krox. Take the ball now, shitlords :smug:

My krox has + str and +av. Just need block on him then he gets to punch all other big guy, always.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I wish I could virtually Bench a player, make him unable to play and thus not count towards TV, as if he was "misses next match".
That way I could already level up an additional player or try some more variations on the team.

My 3 Brettonian Blitzers all hit lvl 6 today. 170+ SPP for lvl 7, that will take a while hah.
Blitzer 1 : Leader/Dodge/Sure Hands/AGI/STR (4/4 Blitzer? Hell Yeah)
Blitzer 2 : Dodge/Tackle/STR/Pro/???
Blitzer 3 : MV/Tackle/Frenzy/Pro/Shadowing

Haven't yet decided what last General/Passing Blitzer 2 will get, not that many usefull stuff to take anyway.

PS : I inflicted a -AGI injury on a Kroxi in my last game, will that put him at 0AGI or is 1 the minimum?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

1 is minimum so it was basically a miss next game injury

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Evernoob posted:

I wish I could virtually Bench a player, make him unable to play and thus not count towards TV, as if he was "misses next match".
That way I could already level up an additional player or try some more variations on the team.

My 3 Brettonian Blitzers all hit lvl 6 today. 170+ SPP for lvl 7, that will take a while hah.
Blitzer 1 : Leader/Dodge/Sure Hands/AGI/STR (4/4 Blitzer? Hell Yeah)
Blitzer 2 : Dodge/Tackle/STR/Pro/???
Blitzer 3 : MV/Tackle/Frenzy/Pro/Shadowing

Haven't yet decided what last General/Passing Blitzer 2 will get, not that many usefull stuff to take anyway.

PS : I inflicted a -AGI injury on a Kroxi in my last game, will that put him at 0AGI or is 1 the minimum?

Frenzy for sure on that dude, for even more chances to knock people over, especially with str and pro already.

You could just say gently caress it and pray to nuffle and buy the 4th and play with the bloated TV. Just let nuffle sort your team out for you. Your not like amazon where it's instant death above 1500tv, you have a lot of armor and defensive skills. I learned a lot about TV bloat playing vampires and bretts seem pretty similar in a few respects, especially since you actually have a vamp player (4/4)!

I don't know why you took shadowing on the +mv guy though, that is kind of weird, should have taken dodge or maybe sprint in case you roll +mv at level 7 a ottd blitzer would rule.

Washout fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 9, 2015

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Washout posted:

I don't know why you took shadowing on the +mv guy though, that is kind of weird, should have taken dodge or maybe sprint in case you roll +mv at level 7 a ottd blitzer would rule.

I was surprised about it too, but shadowing is actually a General skill, not an Agility skill. I didn't roll a double, or I would definately have taken Dodge.
I had never played with Shadowing before and as this particular blitzer is the one that never rolled a double (only a +MV) he is the first one I would fire/replace so I wanted to test it out. It's rather cool honestly.

About Frenzy on my other +STR blitzer, no.
Don't get me wrong, Frenzy is awesome and I use it a lot with my other Blitzer. But it is also mandatory to use and I very often find myself blocking without following up in a blitz, to change direction after.
I try to protect my Blitzers and try to never end my turn with them next to a non-prone opponent.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Stand firm blodger with +str then.

Also best big guy is clearly the Warpstone Troll. Get tentacles Block and Guard, tie up three linemen at the beginning of the half and then don't do anything for the rest of the half.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Unless it's Elves three linos are probably less TV than a leveled troll!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I was going to say that Tents and Guard would push the 110k Troll to 150k, aka 3 average linos, but then I noticed Tea included Block in his lups, and I guess ya, Big Guys are pretty good with Block.
But lol if you can't see the advantage of tying 3 guys up with 1 guy, even if they're on TV parity.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
All this talk about TV bloat of a Big Guy only actually matters in a NAF-style perpetual league.
Would you on the other hand stay away from these same Big Guys in a closed league with, let's say 10 teams playing eachother twice (home-away) with a top 4 cut single elimination play-off?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Mental TV shaving matters less in closed leagues because inducements aren't as good as all that, but I would say the majority of BB played atm is Perpetual, in one way or another. In tornys, the question of Big Guys isn't of TV bloat, but having 1 guy on the pitch who you cant trust to do what he's told. If you can trust yourself not to ask him to do essential things, then problem solved!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Evernoob posted:

All this talk about TV bloat of a Big Guy only actually matters in a NAF-style perpetual league.
Would you on the other hand stay away from these same Big Guys in a closed league with, let's say 10 teams playing eachother twice (home-away) with a top 4 cut single elimination play-off?

Speaking from my experience adminning the most recent Goonbowl, it's really variable. I know that Nurgle, both Lizards and Goblins all took their big guys. Norse, both Orc teams and I believe both Skaven teams didn't.

Basically, on teams where your Big guy is really good (Nurgle) and on teams where your linemen are terrible at being cannon fodder (Lizards and Goblins) the Big Guy makes sense as a piece that's unlikely to be removed from the Board. Comparatively on teams where your linemen actually do work it just makes sense to get more of them and fill out your roster that way.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I consider Wild Animal less of a liability compared to Bone Headed or Really Stupid as it doesn't actually negate the Tackle Zone and Guard.
As I said earlier I would definitely take Guard as a first skill for a Big Guy (unless a double is rolled for block obviously), followed by Tentacles on a Chaos Minotaur. The passive presence on the pitch can still make it a usefull player.

However. I must admit I love opposing Big guys when I play my Brets, as not only I can mark them with one 40k peasant, but with Fend I also nullify their Frenzy or Follow-Up. So when I get up I even have the choice to either move away or mark them again.
One game I managed to lock an enemy Rat Ogre on the side line for 5 turns before I decided to crowdsurf him.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Speaking from my experience adminning the most recent Goonbowl, it's really variable. I know that Nurgle, both Lizards and Goblins all took their big guys. Norse, both Orc teams and I believe both Skaven teams didn't.

Basically, on teams where your Big guy is really good (Nurgle) and on teams where your linemen are terrible at being cannon fodder (Lizards and Goblins) the Big Guy makes sense as a piece that's unlikely to be removed from the Board. Comparatively on teams where your linemen actually do work it just makes sense to get more of them and fill out your roster that way.

I took a Rogre on my rats in Goonbowl.

But then he died and I went "meh" and didn't replace him so I guess that's still a point in the 'gently caress big guys' column.

I like Big Guys in leagues because having a Strength 5 player to start, regardless of negatrait drawbacks, is very appealing when you don't have the luxury of grooming up your team over a bunch of inconsequential games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Some day soon we will all embrace the Khmeri life

• Locked thread