Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Hey all, we're having folks over on Tuesday and I'd love to serve an apple pie for dessert. If I were to make the pie today (sunday) would it still be good enough to serve to company on Tuesday? What is the optimal way to store a pie?

OR, could I preassemble it today and bake it Tuesday like a lasagne (and if I couldn't, would that strategy work for a more forgiving apple crisp)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Grand Fromage posted:

Am I right to think that basically any non-emulsified sauce will freeze well?

Even emulsified sauces freeze well, if they break, use some xanthan gum and hit it with an immersion blender.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

pile of brown posted:

You shouldn't be bringing a non stick pan to searing temp.

Why not? I've never seen any convincing evidence that this is true.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

If you have a bird you'll kill them, so that's a thing to watch out for. I seem to recall a thing a few years ago that excessive high temps on teflon could cause carcinogenic compounds to form. But it was a single study, and it wasn't particularly well designed.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Scientastic posted:

If nothing else, it ruins the nonstick coating.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Micomicona posted:

Hey all, we're having folks over on Tuesday and I'd love to serve an apple pie for dessert. If I were to make the pie today (sunday) would it still be good enough to serve to company on Tuesday? What is the optimal way to store a pie?

OR, could I preassemble it today and bake it Tuesday like a lasagne (and if I couldn't, would that strategy work for a more forgiving apple crisp)?

I'd bake it monday evening if possible and let it rest over night, that gives it time to solidify well but not enough time for any staleness to set in.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If you have a bird you'll kill them, so that's a thing to watch out for. I seem to recall a thing a few years ago that excessive high temps on teflon could cause carcinogenic compounds to form. But it was a single study, and it wasn't particularly well designed.

If that's the same study I've read, it was very bad. What's the bird killing thing?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nope

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Gosh this is not the football thread

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Thanksgiving is coming up and I would like your best cornbread recipes, please.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

If that's the same study I've read, it was very bad. What's the bird killing thing?

Here's an article where both an emeritus professor of chemistry and a professional toxicologist agree that heating non-stick pans to 500F can contaminate food with toxic chemicals :

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cooking-tools/cookware-reviews/a17426/nonstick-cookware-safety-facts/

Apparently if you somehow manage to get the pans to 660F, then they'll give off poison gas too! Still, it looks like the amount released will rarely be enough to actually do you any real harm.

In my personal experience, the main issue with getting them too hot is that they wear out faster. I definitely get my pans too hot, since I only have non-stick ones, and the surface starts to crack and lose effectiveness after a year or two. I really need to get a good quality, general purpose frying pan which I can get too hot, but they're not available in local stores round here and I'm not sure what to look for online.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

cyberia posted:

Thanksgiving is coming up and I would like your best cornbread recipes, please.

http://foodthinkers.com/skillet-cornbread/

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
. nm

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 9, 2015

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

SubG posted:

Malt syrups and powders are usually labelled either diastatic or non-diastatic. Diastatic malt products contain an enzyme that naturally occurs in malt (and other grains) that aids in converting starches into sugars. Non-diastatic malt products are basically just a mild sweetener.

In either case you'll end up with a dough with slightly more sugar in it. In small amounts this doesn't necessarily make the resulting baked good sweeter, but (depending on the baking conditions) usually gives a sort of `toasty' flavour (all else being equal doughs with more sugar brown more than doughs with less). With diastatic malt the crumb usually comes out somewhat lighter, but that depends a lot on the rest of the dough as well.

In pretzels and bagels you see malt in small quantities mostly because it adds a little depth to the flavour of the dough as a result of the additional sugar getting browned by comparatively high cooking temperatures. In other recipes it can be there just for the effect on the texture, but if you make I dunno, something like a brioche with malt and then toast a slice of it you'll notice a difference between it an an equivalent slice made without malt.

If the recipe calls for non-diastatic malt you can usually get away with using another mild sweetener---I usually use black molasses if I don't have any malt handy.

You can also make your own malt syrups and powders if you have whole malt. Pretty much any brewer supply place will have more than you need.

Thanks for the malt tips. Went ahead and ordered like, a pound or pound and a half for ten bucks on Amazon. Gonna attempt some pretzels tonight. Here's hoping!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

Here's an article where both an emeritus professor of chemistry and a professional toxicologist agree that heating non-stick pans to 500F can contaminate food with toxic chemicals :

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cooking-tools/cookware-reviews/a17426/nonstick-cookware-safety-facts/

Apparently if you somehow manage to get the pans to 660F, then they'll give off poison gas too! Still, it looks like the amount released will rarely be enough to actually do you any real harm.

In my personal experience, the main issue with getting them too hot is that they wear out faster. I definitely get my pans too hot, since I only have non-stick ones, and the surface starts to crack and lose effectiveness after a year or two. I really need to get a good quality, general purpose frying pan which I can get too hot, but they're not available in local stores round here and I'm not sure what to look for online.

A cast iron pan and an enameled cast iron Dutch oven. Congrats, now you don't have to use broken non-stick stuff now. Just make sure you season the cast iron.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Isn't 500F kinda ridiculous for a stovetop set to medium-high? That also assumes you don't have any cooking oil or actual food to heat.

I've done tuna and swordfish in my non-stick and haven't died or tasted anything weird yet, and what's more I can actually cook eggs / omelets without them sticking. It's so much easier to clean than stainless steel I don't even use that pan anymore, though I treated it like poo poo by doing lots of burner -> soaking quick transitions and heating it with cold oil instead of empty.

That said, iron is still nicer but I spend more time cleaning / seasoning / waiting for it to cool than I do actually cooking and chicken still sticks to it if I use the panini plate.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 9, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you don't care, keep on doing whatever you want, but it's kind of weird to ask a question and have 5 people answer and then say welp I'm just gonna ignore you all.

Nonstick pans are best used to cook eggs at medium low heat, anything that you need to sear should not stick to a properly heated and oiled regular pan.

I've heard various conflicting reports on the health aspect of it but subjecting Teflon coating to high heat will absolutely reduce the lifespan of your pan. When the coating goes, depending on the quality/ materials in the pan itself you can scrub out the rest of the coating and have a steel pan though.

Also when using your regular pans, heat them empty and add oil right before your food, let the oil get to temp and then add food. You will experience less issues with setting pans on fire and food sticking.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 9, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Teflon fumes kill birds faster than it makes a person cough.

The best part is back in the day where pretty much every family celebrated Christmas around here with some
fun hot plate grilling with the family. In an unventilated living room, because it's cold outside. Right next to the bird cage.
Nothing says Christmas like the sound of birds dropping dead, I guess.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I keep a canary in my kitchen to make sure I'm not overheating my teflon. Everyone should have a kitchen canary. Safety first.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I used to do that as well!
but when I had to buy a new one every week, the guy from the pet shop stopped selling me new ones.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Relevant info

Don't crank up your teflon pans people.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

paraquat posted:

I used to do that as well!
but when I had to buy a new one every week, the guy from the pet shop stopped selling me new ones.

That's why you get a mated pair and make your own canaries. Sure it's a little extra work, but either you want to cook good food or you don't.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Does Canary make a good substitute for Ortalan?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's why you get a mated pair and make your own canaries. Sure it's a little extra work, but either you want to cook good food or you don't.

Excellent advice, thanks!

Scientastic posted:

Their bones are slightly crispier, but I'd say you could give it a shot

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

You probably won't taste the difference so long as your veil shields your eyes from your meal.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
But you will pee blue.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The whole purpose of teflon is for when you're feeling lazy and don't wanna wait for a pan to heat up, why make it harder on yourself?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got anything thats really great for a person who is on a 25 carbs or less kind of diet? I'm having a lot of trouble cooking dinners for my wife. I'm mainly a pasta kind of person and so pretty much what I've been doing is making pasta, making pasta sauce and also making zoodles(I'm sorry if you also know what a zoodle is). Anything else that can be easily separated like the pasta or if anyone has any experience cooking for this kind of diet and has some recipes handy I would be really happy, thanks!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Mexican food without rice, beans, or tortillas.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

pico and guac?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Relevant info

Don't crank up your teflon pans people.
Yeah, a link to a page from EWG isn't exactly a compelling argument. They also think your cell phone is going to give you cancer and make your nuts fall off. That page is also literally a collection of anecdotes, many of which are literally `I talked to a guy and he said it happened'. I mean look at the references.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Turkeybone posted:

Yea the other thing I've been doing is quesadillas and just putting hers in a no carb wrap thing that tastes like sand. I'm just out of ideas!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Reason posted:

Yea the other thing I've been doing is quesadillas and just putting hers in a no carb wrap thing that tastes like sand. I'm just out of ideas!

If she chose to follow a diet like that, why doesn't she come up with recipes herself?

Anyway, you might want to google "ketogenic diet recipes"
(oh, and summer rolls (the stuff in the rice paper wrappers) are great!)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
meat and salad, eg:
steak, chimichurri and garden salad
pork and a slaw
Fish and a salad of any type (going to depend on the fish)
thai or vietnamese beef or chicken with fish sauce, lime, chilli and mint or cilantro (often called xxx "warm salad" here)

antipasto/antipasti or caponata
Stew or curry using only meat and peas/green beans, cauliflower, broccoli or squash.
Likewise roast meat with braised or roast low carb vegetables

If I had money, this is how I'd live.
E: are lentils allowed? Are beans/chickpeas? They'e pretty good in a meat and salad type dish.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 10, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

Yeah, a link to a page from EWG isn't exactly a compelling argument. They also think your cell phone is going to give you cancer and make your nuts fall off. That page is also literally a collection of anecdotes, many of which are literally `I talked to a guy and he said it happened'. I mean look at the references.

Link to a NYT article then: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE3DE143DF932A15751C0A963958260&n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/T/Teflon

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I tried to make Chicken Parmigiana yesterday, and the breading on the chicken was completely soaked through.

I sort of made up a simple recipe, which was:

1) Make a simple tomato sauce with onions, garlic, herbs, etc
2) Paneer the flattened chicken in seasoned fresh bread crumbs
3) Shallow fry the chicken until golden brown (at this point the chicken was nice and crispy)
4) Put a layer of sauce in a baking tray, chicken on top of the sauce, more sauce on top of the chicken, then mozzarella/parmesan on top of that
5) Bake at 400 for 20m or so
6) Serve on top of spaghetti tossed in the rest of the sauce

Steps 4/5 matched what I read in several recipes and I'm fairly sure that's why it went super soggy. Is the sogginess intended? I can't see how you could bake the chicken in sauce without it happening, and I don't understand why you'd go through all the hassle of breading the chicken if the crust turns into tomato saturated goop that falls off when you cut through it...

Is there a way of avoiding it? Like, maybe completely cooking through the chicken in the pan, then broiling at the last minute with the cheese on top of a very minimal amount of sauce?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Finish your chicken in the oven, heat your pasta and sauce on the stovetop. Put pasta on plate, put checken on pasta, put however much sauce you want over the chicken and pasta, then put a ton of parm over everything.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So you just let the residual heat from the sauce melt the parm and skip the mozarella?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You can use shredded mozz too, but yeah, the plate should be hot enough to melt cheese. You can pop it under your broiler if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Carbs are just the best.