Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The EU has ruined a lot of things but none so much as Jedi. That code poo poo is unbearable. Jedi are rooted in real-life Eastern philosophy and I wish the writers had studied up on that stuff. There's such a huge difference between being mindful of your feelings and trying to stamp them out. The philosophy of non-attachment is a pretty widespread idea here on Earth but it doesn't mean you don't care about anyone. It's the opposite, really. It's like Anakin said, you're supposed to love everyone unconditionally. There might have been some lovely dialogue in that movie but that idea is important. Non-attachment is the acknowledgement that loss is a reality we should all be prepared for, emotions are fleeting, and you have to be able to let go of people/places/things and not freak out. It's all underpinned by the idea that all life is fundamentally connected. Distinctions like friend and enemy are ultimately illusions, because we're all one. The life or death of one person has consequences, but it's really a drop in the ocean. It's about having a big-picture perspective. It's not such a crazy concept. I'm not sure how people get it so twisted.

It's because the characters in the films have it twisted, and Star Wars enthusiasts have extremely literal minds that don't understand things like subtext or jokes.

In RotS, after capturing Obi-wan and Anakin, Grievous says "Ah, the negotiator. General Kenobi". This is funny because he is not a negotiator, he's a blunt object who has busted in wrecking up the place on a mission to get Palpatine back. He does not negotiate at any point ever, in any of the movies. He is military. A General. Obi-wan then laughs and starts attacking people again.

The line spawned a bunch of EU nonsense about how actually Obi-wan was a very famous and prolific negotiator during the war and The Negotiator was his nickname that Grievous would definitely know and use.

And all Bothans are natural spies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shockeh posted:

Right - I've been playing on my own on Jedi Covenant, largely because I didn't want to bother anyone whilst I remembered how the game even worked; I bought the boxed game right at the start, but never really played it again until now. I'm running around playing a Powertech Bounty Hunter, and wondering why there are so many drat buttons. Why do I have so many, many many many, overlapping skills? Single target things of varying damage, multiple AOE's, and what seems to be a WOW Warrior-esque stance system, but doesn't switch my bars when I switch stances?

Am I going crazy, or do I just have to do some outside reading here?

E: I'm probably over worrying because I'm only like, L20, and already seem to be overwhelmed with skills without any context about why to use what.

Keep in mind that a third of your abilities are defensive/offensive cooldowns that you wont use until you're about to die and start mashing them frantically and another chunk of them are PVP-oriented stuff that stuns and slows and is thus useless in PVE. Also some characters don't really come together until late and until then you just have a bunch of samey abilities you press whenever.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Eimi posted:

It's neat that you can do that, but kinda sucks tat they went with the super conservative and boring Jedi. I mean they already did that in Kotor1 and 2, it just contributes to this feeling of I dunno malaise and saps the heroic/good guy aspects of the Jedi. I still can't get over how someone like me who tends to always only like the goody two shoes option in faction stuff or story lines prefers the Empire over the Republic in this game. :psyduck:

It's especially strange since KotOR 2 ends with the Jedi Order being rebuilt by people like Mira and Atton Rand who that poo poo wouldn't fly with. But BioWare's always wanted to ignore KotOR2 because it deconstructs the one narrative they know how to tell so perfectly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I did some PVP last night to work towards getting pierce and I'm instantly reminded of why I hate it

After a huttball loss, a guy took it upon himself to find me on the fleet and say "buy some gear, and gently caress your legendary title" (going straight for my two jugulars)

Mind you this was as I was literally standing in front of the gear vendor, shopping

These people

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Defiance Industries posted:

It's especially strange since KotOR 2 ends with the Jedi Order being rebuilt by people like Mira and Atton Rand who that poo poo wouldn't fly with. But BioWare's always wanted to ignore KotOR2 because it deconstructs the one narrative they know how to tell so perfectly.

KOTOR2 is explicitly what the Consular refers to when they talk about the Order not always being so dogmatic. :v: They can tell Nadia that during the Order's reconstruction after the Jedi Civil War the Jedi were far more open and encouraged to marry and have children. But that was three hundred years ago.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Out of curiosity, what do you goons figure is a fair amount of credits to give someone in exchange for a months sub?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Eimi posted:

It's neat that you can do that, but kinda sucks tat they went with the super conservative and boring Jedi. I mean they already did that in Kotor1 and 2, it just contributes to this feeling of I dunno malaise and saps the heroic/good guy aspects of the Jedi. I still can't get over how someone like me who tends to always only like the goody two shoes option in faction stuff or story lines prefers the Empire over the Republic in this game. :psyduck:

Why, The Empire is the good guys.

If you ignore all the slavery and super weapons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Verranicus posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you goons figure is a fair amount of credits to give someone in exchange for a months sub?

Well a sub is about $15, which is about 2000 cartel coins. That could buy a couple, say server character slots, which sell for about a million each. I'd say 3 million ish to start.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Defiance Industries posted:

It still cracks me up how they snipped out KOTOR 2 characters because the Force eating didn't make sense, yet completely recycled that concept on a planetary scale in one of their own plots. :v:

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Hello I would like some referral stuff

http://www.swtor.com/r/5gd43z

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
After compiling the top selections from our panel of judges, I am now ready to present the winner (and some other entries) of THE FIRST ANNUAL TNG KOTFE LAUNCH COMMEMORATIVE HAIKU CONTEST. Thanks to Hulk Smash, Medullah, and Nonentity for their assistance in judging.

Being as these all deal with KOTFE subject matter, I'll be hiding them in spoiler bars out of consideration for people who are very slow at playing video games.

Overall winner and recipient of an Akk Dog companion license is Thumbtacks with these musings on the philosophical nature of death:

Valkorian dead!
Oh wait, I guess not. Or...yes?
Maybe. My head hurts.

Many entries dealt with common themes, such as the inability to customize new companion appearances:

Pretty Companion
Showing much glorious skin
Lana, such a Prude

Where is my waifu
Lana won't put on slave clothes
worst expansion ever

A thousand voices
rang out loudly on forums
slave clothes for Lana.

A few about Bioware's trademark romances:

A Lana waifu
for everyone except me
Longing for Skadge butt.

Darth Marr is now dead
but I will romance his ghost
Satele back off.

Some of my favorites about the dysfunctional Zakuul royal family:

Arcann quit bitching
Vaylin stop killing your mom
I am your dad now.

Stop turning your back
Thexan should have blocked more
You are the worst dad

Arcann quit bitching
Vaylin stop killing your mom
I am your dad now.

A little editorializing on mechanics that KOTFE brought us:

Wait I have to do
PvP? I guess I don't
need Pierce anyway

Just killed 40 Sith
Oh boy a quest reward! Ugh,
Ice Scrabbler Jerky.

And many memorials to those dear friends no longer with us:

Goodbye, sweet prince. Marr,
your robot face was weird, but
we'll remember you.

My assassin droid
kills spiders in a montage
too cool to live.

You had a vision
The Dark Council can eat poo poo
Rest in peace, Darth Maul

Finally, I would like to draw attention to this entry. I mentioned earlier that many people didn't seem to have a grasp on the syllable structure of the haiku, and you may have noticed a line or two being off in the ones I've posted above. One submission, however, managed to screw up the syllable count for all three lines resulting in a 4-6-4 tempo. Honorable mention for worst counting goes to:

The pubbies cry
Lana, suitably clothed
But also cloned

-----

Thanks to everyone who participated! I'll be making a random selection from those who entered (and didn't already win an Akk Dog) to receive some cartel crates, and I'll get those prizes out later tonight.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

After compiling the top selections from our panel of judges, I am now ready to present the winner (and some other entries) of THE FIRST ANNUAL TNG KOTFE LAUNCH COMMEMORATIVE HAIKU CONTEST. Thanks to Hulk Smash, Medullah, and Nonentity for their assistance in judging.

Thanks to everyone who participated! I'll be making a random selection from those who entered (and didn't already win an Akk Dog) to receive some cartel crates, and I'll get those prizes out later tonight.

This was a fun thing
Good job by everyone
Now back to conquest

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My entries had a bit more of a theme going than that...

Wait I have to do
PvP? I guess I don't
need Pierce anyway

Wait I have to kill
how many? Guess I don't need
Qyzen anyway

Wait I have to turn
in how many? I don't need
Loken anyway

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I haven't played KotFE yet because I've got a Board exam this Friday and was being a RESPONSIBLE ADULT, so I was at a disadvantage but here are mine:

Her words are so smug
Darth Baras made me keep her
Option 3: [Shock Vette]

Her friends try to help
But she just betrays them all
Kaliyo, you suck

Stop turning your back
Thexan should have blocked more
You are the worst dad

Finally, it's out
Die Skadge, you motherfucker.
Blizz is still the best.

You had a vision
The Dark Council can eat poo poo
Rest in peace, Darth Maul

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i did not love men
kotfe came out
now i am so gay

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
I'm really enjoying that I can now leave Khem Val with no weapons equipped, and so he fights like he should, with his fists.

Cythereal posted:

The light-side Consular gets a lot of this in KotFE if you say no at the big choice in Chapter 1. During the subsequent sequence, the Consular keeps going "You have nothing to tempt me with. I love the galaxy and the people within it, but nothing lasts forever. Not me, not you, not my love for Iresso/Nadia (if you're in a romance), not the Republic, not Zakuul, nothing. You keep trying to appeal to my vanity and ego, but I long ago accepted my death."

Alright, you have convinced me to start and play a light-side Consular as my main republic character.

Beeme fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 9, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Wow, sounds like I should give consular another try.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nipponophile posted:

Finally, I would like to draw attention to this entry. I mentioned earlier that many people didn't seem to have a grasp on the syllable structure of the haiku, and you may have noticed a line or two being off in the ones I've posted above. One submission, however, managed to screw up the syllable count for all three lines resulting in a 4-6-4 tempo. Honorable mention for worst counting goes to:

The pubbies cry
Lana, suitably clothed
But also cloned

This can be rescued.

The pubbies cry
Lana, suitably clothèd
But also clonèd

And drag out the pronuncation on "cry", so it comes out like "cuh-rye".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm the outlander
You seem to be him as well
Chosen one my rear end

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Empress Theonora posted:

Wow, sounds like I should give consular another try.

I maintain that the light side Consular is a really good Jedi story if you're interested in the mystical, scholarly, and diplomatic aspects of the Jedi and are willing to excuse the game's design meaning you do lots of fighting anyway. The Consular's characterization tends to be subtle, and you should probably play a lady Consular so you have a much more interesting relationship with Nadia, but even if you go dark side most Consular-specific dark side choices tend to be about pragmatic, cold-blooded logic.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

thrakkorzog posted:

I didn't see this one answered.

At the moment, from what's been announced, if you go from subbed to preferred, then you have all access to the story content you had when your sub lapsed. If your sub lapsed tomorrow you would still be able to do the current KotFE story, and all your characters would be capped at level 65, but you would be locked out of the newer chapters of KotFE until you subscribe again.

If you play as a preferred player the game will try to nickel and dime you for basic functions. That said, you can get around some of the restrictions of a preferred customer by clicking on a referral link. Here's mine: http://www.swtor.com/r/t3MFsd

Sorry. That's a really unsubtle attempt to get you to click my referral link. But I think I answered your question. And I would appreciate it if you would click on my link.

I already used the code from the op, which sucks cause it only have me statless armor. If I can add more comes after I sub, I'll give it a shot.

Also, is the republic goon guild very active? I'm still using a free account until I can sub on Friday, and it's frustrating that I keep losing out on better weapons since I'm f2p. So I've dropped my Jedi for now, but if the republic guild isn't active, I don't see much reason to go back.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Elblanco posted:

I already used the code from the op, which sucks cause it only have me statless armor. If I can add more comes after I sub, I'll give it a shot.

Also, is the republic goon guild very active? I'm still using a free account until I can sub on Friday, and it's frustrating that I keep losing out on better weapons since I'm f2p. So I've dropped my Jedi for now, but if the republic guild isn't active, I don't see much reason to go back.

Republic guild usually has 3-10 people on - mostly socializing, never any organized raiding or anything.

Imperial guild generally has 10-50 on, and we have done pick up raids almost every night since 4.0 dropped.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Is there a centralized place where I can find all of the terminals? Or do I really have to run around the entire fleet space station trying to find them, since they're scattered and have no indication of their location on the map? Every new character I get this mission to find the PVP Mission terminal, and I always forget which quarter of the fleet it's at.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Odessen, when you reach it, will have all the terminals in one place.

Until then: combat training = PVP, supplies = PVE

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

prefect posted:

When I'm playing my Jedi Knight, I just ask myself "What would Captain America do?" -- it works best when you're willing to embrace the boy scout do-gooder in yourself.

I said "I haven't made a full DS character, I'll do that for Jedi" but there's only so much "T7-01 disapproves" that a soul can take.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
DS Consular is much, much easier because Qyzen doesn't mind you being a jerk now and then.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I thought it was possible to tell your companion to take a hike right before you enter a conversation, which would make decisions not affect them, but it seems like it doesn't work like that anymore?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I said "I haven't made a full DS character, I'll do that for Jedi" but there's only so much "T7-01 disapproves" that a soul can take.

Good news! With the new system in 4.0, T7 will still level up in rank (albeit slower) even with disapproval choices.

You'd still be a horrible person though. Let's be clear on that.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm short on cash this month for a games budget (thanks Fallout 4) but have a surplus of credits. Anyone interested in selling me a 60 day time card for 8 million credits?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kurieg posted:

That sounds good, but then there's that quest on Tython where a man is being convinced by a woman that having a relationship is fine, and she's talking like a Seductress, and agreeing with her gives you a bunch of darkside points.

I wish the game had a bit more nuance sometimes.

Well part of the problem is that you have a lot of different writers, and most of them are not on the same page at all. This is a constant problem with Bioware games. You have the writers who really "get it" and write strong characters and nuanced dialogue (Patrick Weekes is typically one of the go to examples) and then you have the people who really...really don't.

And you never know which is in charge of the content you're about to barrel into.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

arisu posted:

I'm short on cash this month for a games budget (thanks Fallout 4) but have a surplus of credits. Anyone interested in selling me a 60 day time card for 8 million credits?

Don't do that on here. Please.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Medullah posted:

Republic guild usually has 3-10 people on - mostly socializing, never any organized raiding or anything.

Imperial guild generally has 10-50 on, and we have done pick up raids almost every night since 4.0 dropped.

Well, I guess it's time to redo stuff. I'll jump into tng chat once I'm on again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
http://www.swtor.com/r/CcDyJY

And while I'm at it I should just go ahead and post my referral code. Want dat speeder.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What the gently caress, Alderaan

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Do mounts still have varying effectiveness in not exploding when you get hit? Or did they wisely drop that?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Odessen, when you reach it, will have all the terminals in one place.

Until then: combat training = PVP, supplies = PVE

I guess that makes sense! I also noticed that the PvP terminal is near the PvP armor vendors, which should help me in the future. Hopefully I can remember it now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Beeme posted:

Do mounts still have varying effectiveness in not exploding when you get hit? Or did they wisely drop that?

I guess that makes sense! I also noticed that the PvP terminal is near the PvP armor vendors, which should help me in the future. Hopefully I can remember it now.

Speeders do have varying levels of protection. Almost all cartel speeders will offer "excellent" protection. There are a very select few (Irakie Renegade, the Vectron Christmas mount from last year) that offer "exceptional" protection. The highest level of protection is "extreme" and is only available on a tank mount that drops from Explosive Conflict.

Interestingly, almost none of the animal mounts offer better than standard protection, or at least it's not noted in their tool tip.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

StashAugustine posted:

What the gently caress, Alderaan

I am king of the mountain, little Sith.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Medullah posted:

Speeders do have varying levels of protection. Almost all cartel speeders will offer "excellent" protection. There are a very select few (Irakie Renegade, the Vectron Christmas mount from last year) that offer "exceptional" protection. The highest level of protection is "extreme" and is only available on a tank mount that drops from Explosive Conflict.

Interestingly, almost none of the animal mounts offer better than standard protection, or at least it's not noted in their tool tip.

drat Bioware, I thought you were cleaning up your act.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

That's lame, because it makes me not want to use the "random speeder" ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

prefect posted:

That's lame, because it makes me not want to use the "random speeder" ability.

I guess you could settle for "excellent" protection and then make sure to never acquire a mount with anything less, lest you taint your "random speeder" ability.

I already have a hard enough time deciding which mount will fit each character the best, I don't want to have to take this into account too. :saddowns:

Beeme fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread