Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Just as weird to me is how nobody thought to do some investigative journalism during his campaign to find out that he literally commanded a Small Boy Unit in the Liberian Civil War like 15 years earlier.

I assume the Patriots covered that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Just as weird to me is how nobody thought to do some investigative journalism during his campaign to find out that he literally commanded a Small Boy Unit in the Liberian Civil War like 15 years earlier.

Well he was like 12 at the time wasn't he? So no one would believe them

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ImpAtom posted:

I assume the Patriots covered that up.

thats always my problem with cipher. Its composed of about 3 people and some computers. Where does it get all its agents and intelligence. does it just piggyback off the CIA/KGB/Mossad/china. at least the patriots sorta "make sence". They are just the base AI that runs the world and it filters what it does and doesn't want people to know. Cipher doesnt even realy have an army, its why the needed BB in the first place until skullface came around. So what do they do. do the just do what the did in the hospital and murder everyone or what. also why do you never fight XOF in mgs5. sure you fight them for like 10 min at the end, but thats dumb. XOF should have had more presence during the game.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats always my problem with cipher. Its composed of about 3 people and some computers. Where does it get all its agents and intelligence. does it just piggyback off the CIA/KGB/Mossad/china. at least the patriots sorta "make sence". They are just the base AI that runs the world and it filters what it does and doesn't want people to know. Cipher doesnt even realy have an army, its why the needed BB in the first place until skullface came around. So what do they do. do the just do what the did in the hospital and murder everyone or what. also why do you never fight XOF in mgs5. sure you fight them for like 10 min at the end, but thats dumb. XOF should have had more presence during the game.

There must have been more planned for XOF because Ocelot tells you during the mission where you recover Codetalker's research that the time to go to war with XOF will come (and then, much like a lot is built up in the game, it doesn't).

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Pretty sure Cipher grew out of the American Philosophers, as part of the CIA and DIA. Big Boss, Campbell, and Solid Snake were all Green Berets. FOX was a CIA venture, FOXHOUND was US Army. The Philospher's Legacy bankrolled it all, and Zero sort of usurped whatever was left of the American Philosophers, and scooped up the splintered Soviet philosophers. I think it's mentioned in Portable Ops that Zero basically wiped out the Chinese Philosophers, so yeah, rip EVA's bosses.

Like, if you're wondering where these guys come from, just assume it is all Jason Bourne sort of stuff where you're a really good Navy SEAL or whatever, then your CO comes and tells you that you're going to be working for some guys at the CIA, and then you keep working for them, etc.

e: I mean as far as Cipher being like three people + computers, as far as spy fiction goes, these guys handling massive intelligence networks of people who don't know who they're working for or why is probably one of the most plausible things in Metal Gear.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 9, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

The best part of XOF is imagining that all those times you left bodies laying around in MGS3, smashed things, left the area, then came back later and everything was fixed + all the bodies were gone, is all because Skullface is off camera somewhere dragging the bodies into a pond or burying them, putting stuff back on the shelf.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Ambivalent posted:

The best part of XOF is imagining that all those times you left bodies laying around in MGS3, smashed things, left the area, then came back later and everything was fixed + all the bodies were gone, is all because Skullface is off camera somewhere dragging the bodies into a pond or burying them, putting stuff back on the shelf.
That does a lot to explain how he would be very, very annoyed with Big Boss.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
XOF constantly monitored Snake, watching his every step, via CCTV and miniaturized cameras, placed inside of toy frogs.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Does everyone know Metal Gear Sigint? Skullface is basically Naked Snake in that video, whereas Big Boss is Sigint.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Dewgy posted:

Replayed Ground Zeroes last night, does Chico's weird chest/headphone thing mean that he's being tested with vocal cord parasites even in the 70s?

Hoooly poo poo how did I not get that until now? "Say hi to your boss for me"

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Dewgy posted:

Replayed Ground Zeroes last night, does Chico's weird chest/headphone thing mean that he's being tested with vocal cord parasites even in the 70s?

Because if so, good lord, between a direct frontal assault on Mother Base, Paz's assorted inserted explosives, and Chico having parasites, Skull Face wanted Big Boss dead bad. Sure, taking out a whole hospital to get one guy proves that enough but that parasite thing must have been a pet project.

Replaying Ground Zeroes is cool, because there's a bunch of subtle foreshadowing scattered through the missions. I never listened to all of the cassettes, but there's enough comments from guards that make a whole lot of sense in context.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
After hearing the results of the DNA test, this song kinda spoiled the ending for me while I was at work the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ZhPDpor3k

Granted, it's not contemporary to the setting, but it got me thinking along the right lines. I love it when this sorta thing happens. :allears:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I still can't believe that I didn't notice the lack of a horn on BB in GZs hospital scene. I watched that scene like a million time and never registered that.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Because if so, good lord, between a direct frontal assault on Mother Base, Paz's assorted inserted explosives, and Chico having parasites, Skull Face wanted Big Boss dead bad. Sure, taking out a whole hospital to get one guy proves that enough but that parasite thing must have been a pet project.

I'm 99% certain that Chico never had parasites and the headphone thing was just an allusion to them, like it'd make no sense for him to have them, since Skullface didn't have an english strain until years later

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ekusukariba posted:

I'm 99% certain that Chico never had parasites and the headphone thing was just an allusion to them, like it'd make no sense for him to have them, since Skullface didn't have an english strain until years later

Chico isn't a native English speaker. I don't know if means anything but he wouldn't need the English strain.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Chico isn't a native English speaker. I don't know if means anything but he wouldn't need the English strain.

To kill Big Boss, they were saying that Skullface was doing what he did with Quiet, send someone to infect Big Boss

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ekusukariba posted:

I suppose, but an aux jack in the chest is a weird thing to leave unexplained, it's not like he had it in Peace Walker.

It's possible Skull Face was experimenting on Chico, even if not successfully, but who knows at this point.

I figured it would fit into the whole "Ground Zeroes" motif since that whole game/chapter is the start point of all the things you see in Phantom Pain:

• Huey defects to make Sahelanthropus
• Skull Face tortures Chico to get information for the raid
• Possibly infects Chico with vocal cord parasites?
• XOF's plan starts when they leave and un-mark their choppers (trojan horse, pirate crackdown's a go, etc)
• Paz gets exploded
• Medic gets a piece of Paz to the head
• Medic also just hangs out on the chopper watching BB do his thing
• Whales?
• Raiden shoots all of the Snatchers

It's all building up to the events of TPP, and an audio jack right to the lungs seems too on the money to be a coincidence.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Skullface shouldn't even have VCP since it's the motherbase attack that gets him banished to Africa in the first place, where he finds 'the garden' etc. The Chicojack is weird and on theme but I don't think it can have been VCP. Maybe it was explained in the Chico Africa missions we never got.

E: I mean, he also had bolts through his heels, so it could just be more maiming for maiming's sake.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Ambivalent posted:

Skullface shouldn't even have VCP since it's the motherbase attack that gets him banished to Africa in the first place, where he finds 'the garden' etc. The Chicojack is weird and on theme but I don't think it can have been VCP. Maybe it was explained in the Chico Africa missions we never got.

E: I mean, he also had bolts through his heels, so it could just be more maiming for maiming's sake.

Although being exiled to Africa renews Skullface's interest in vocal cord parasites, Zero previously tried to weaponize them and wipe out every language other than English before he realized that the genetics research behind the revival of the parasites was more useful than the parasites themselves (because it led to FOXDIE), so Skull Face was likely aware of them in 1975. That said, I'm not sure if Chico's chest wound has to do with vocal cord parasites because putting a jack in his chest doesn't do much to transform parasites into either the English or Spanish (Chico's native language) strain. I like the idea that someone raised in one of the threatdsthat it was self-mutilation on Chico's part and he had driven the jack into his chest in response to his torture.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

In It For The Tank posted:

... putting a jack in his chest doesn't do much to transform parasites into either the English or Spanish (Chico's native language) strain.

I was thinking it was a slightly less crude version of just cramming an earbud into an open throat wound.

Also in regards to him not being infected, I could have sworn Chico was gonna be revealed to be the "I'm no snail" guy once I saw him. Dude's the spitting image.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Dewgy posted:

I was thinking it was a slightly less crude version of just cramming an earbud into an open throat wound.

Also in regards to him not being infected, I could have sworn Chico was gonna be revealed to be the "I'm no snail" guy once I saw him. Dude's the spitting image.

Isn't that guy just a random soldier?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I've been doing side objectives and wow this game's plot is a lot more coherent when you listen to the incidental dialogue. Things are still kinda unfocused in the early Afghan missions when you're doing whatever for the muj but it's like this:

-You rescue Kaz and start working with the mujahideen
-Skull Face experiments with infecting some muj with the parasites, causing one unit to get annihilated-- except, crucially, for one guy who realizes he can survive by going mute-- and their secret CIA weapon to fall into Soviet hands
-CIA sends you to get it back, at the same time as Cipher goes to corral the survivor; Skull Face sees you and realizes what's up
-Word of this gets to Huey when he's working with Skull Face at Serak and he asks you to bail him out, which leads you to him and Sahelanthropus, and he tells you that Central Africa is where the real poo poo is happening
- Kaz thinks that the unit at Mfinda is being supplied by a Cipher cutout and sends you there on an otherwise unrelated mission for the MPLA
-When you blow it up, the viscount, who's in trouble with his bosses for trying to sell it to MPLA, realizes someone is willing and able to gently caress with CFA, and appeals to you for rescue
-He tells you about the sale of Walker Gears, and Kaz realizes that's the link to Cipher, and has you steal them so your intel agents can trace the supply line, which is what leads you to the "traitors' caravan" and evidence of nuclear material moving through the airport
-Meanwhile the parasites reach Bwala ya Masa because of the uncovered bodies at the oilfield, all the adults die, Gunsmith installs Eli's army there because kids are immune, though he doesn't know why
-Your intel agents inside CFA get blown up, probably when they leaked the info about the Cipher contact, and are interrogated about "the disease"-- CFA thinks YOU caused it, because the first thing you did in Africa allowed it to spread-- which is how you learn about it, when you rescue them
-Rebels seek you out as an ally against CFA, and ask you to kill POWs from their own side (the kids) to keep a lid on their intel; the kids know about the Devil's House and pinpoint it for you
-After that goes down (and after you follow up on the Nova Braga connection from earlier, which is what leads you to Eli) the American doctor who actually did the experiments and his local attache are going to be shot to cover it up; you rescue them, but the attache was already infected (the doctor explains this when you're carrying him), that's how the parasites get onto Mother Base
-Your guys are scrambling to find an answer and they put you onto the human trafficker who sold the Devil's House victims to Cipher; another intel agent gets caught in the process, by a PF who have been sent to kill Code Talker, and rescuing him is how you find out where they're headed
-You rescue Code Talker and he explains what the whole deal with everything is and where to find Skull Face and Sahelanthropus
-You do your revengeance but find out in the process that there's one last sample of the English strain floating around, leading you to the CIA plant inside OKB Zero
-He points out where the remaining research materials are and you race to get them before Cipher
-That doesn't actually do poo poo but it gives Huey the idea to continue the research on the downlow, causing a second outbreak
-The whole plot thread about the kids peters out because they ran out of time lol
-Quiet, who actually has the last sample, realizes that she's still putting everyone at a massive risk and tries to bail out, gets caught by the russians, and you fight 1 billion tanks with her

I think there's even more connections in there that I missed. Point is it's really cool to uncover this stuff organically during the missions, although the game maybe suffers from proceeding basically the same way even if you have zero idea what's going on.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I've been wondering what the conversation with the Russian higher ups was like after the events of Mission 45

"So, the sniper who has been killing loads of our men and the guy who has been kidnapping loads of our men were cornered by an entire tank column and they blew everything up? And then you lost them in a sandstorm? All of you fuckers are going to the gulag."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ekusukariba posted:

Isn't that guy just a random soldier?

Yeah but he got a lot of close-ups, his own VA, and a tape with a monologue. I was kind of surprised when they were like nope! Random dude.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Dewgy posted:

Yeah but he got a lot of close-ups, his own VA, and a tape with a monologue. I was kind of surprised when they were like nope! Random dude.

That reminds me, what happens if you have all female staff? Do cutscenes add guy soldiers?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dangerous Person posted:

I've been wondering what the conversation with the Russian higher ups was like after the events of Mission 45

"So, the sniper who has been killing loads of our men and the guy who has been kidnapping loads of our men were cornered by an entire tank column and they blew everything up? And then you lost them in a sandstorm? All of you fuckers are going to the gulag."
In their defense, Quiet has actual superpowers, and by that point they should know the guy kidnapping their men is Big Boss (and the Soviets definitely know a thing or two about what Naked Snake/Big Boss is capable of). They're still probably all super-gulag'd but I'd say they put up a pretty good fight considering the two people they were up against.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I feel like bringing up any of that in the conversation is just gonna get you sent to the gulag even faster

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Dangerous Person posted:

I feel like bringing up any of that in the conversation is just gonna get you sent to the gulag even faster

haha this is a great avatar dude

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EngineerSean posted:

The full one's even better.

e: Oh my god I just noticed the lens flare on the knives. :swoon:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
^^^
That's amazing.

swamp waste posted:

I've been doing side objectives and wow this game's plot is a lot more coherent when you listen to the incidental dialogue. Things are still kinda unfocused in the early Afghan missions when you're doing whatever for the muj but it's like this:

-Skull Face experiments with infecting some muj with the parasites, causing one unit to get annihilated-- except, crucially, for one guy who realizes he can survive by going mute-- and their secret CIA weapon to fall into Soviet hands
-CIA sends you to get it back, at the same time as Cipher goes to corral the survivor; Skull Face sees you and realizes what's up
-Word of this gets to Huey when he's working with Skull Face at Serak and he asks you to bail him out, which leads you to him and Sahelanthropus, and he tells you that Central Africa is where the real poo poo is happening
- Kaz thinks that the unit at Mfinda is being supplied by a Cipher cutout and sends you there on an otherwise unrelated mission for the MPLA
-When you blow it up, the viscount, who's in trouble with his bosses for trying to sell it to MPLA, realizes someone is willing and able to gently caress with CFA, and appeals to you for rescue
-He tells you about the sale of Walker Gears, and Kaz realizes that's the link to Cipher, and has you steal them so your intel agents can trace the supply line, which is what leads you to the "traitors' caravan" and evidence of nuclear material moving through the airport
-Meanwhile the parasites reach Bwala ya Masa because of the uncovered bodies at the oilfield, all the adults die, Gunsmith installs Eli's army there because kids are immune, though he doesn't know why
-Your intel agents inside CFA get blown up, probably when they leaked the info about the Cipher contact, and are interrogated about "the disease"-- CFA thinks YOU caused it, because the first thing you did in Africa allowed it to spread-- which is how you learn about it, when you rescue them
-Rebels seek you out as an ally against CFA, and ask you to kill POWs from their own side (the kids) to keep a lid on their intel; the kids know about the Devil's House and pinpoint it for you
-After that goes down (and after you follow up on the Nova Braga connection from earlier, which is what leads you to Eli) the American doctor who actually did the experiments and his local attache are going to be shot to cover it up; you rescue them, but the attache was already infected (the doctor explains this when you're carrying him), that's how the parasites get onto Mother Base
-Your guys are scrambling to find an answer and they put you onto the human trafficker who sold the Devil's House victims to Cipher; another intel agent gets caught in the process, by a PF who have been sent to kill Code Talker, and rescuing him is how you find out where they're headed
-You rescue Code Talker and he explains what the whole deal with everything is and where to find Skull Face and Sahelanthropus
-You do your revengeance but find out in the process that there's one last sample of the English strain floating around, leading you to the CIA plant inside OKB Zero
-He points out where the remaining research materials are and you race to get them before Cipher
-That doesn't actually do poo poo but it gives Huey the idea to continue the research on the downlow, causing a second outbreak
-The whole plot thread about the kids peters out because they ran out of time lol
-Quiet, who actually has the last sample, realizes that she's still putting everyone at a massive risk and tries to bail out, gets caught by the russians, and you fight 1 billion tanks with her

I think there's even more connections in there that I missed. Point is it's really cool to uncover this stuff organically during the missions, although the game maybe suffers from proceeding basically the same way even if you have zero idea what's going on.

It really is crazy how much of the plot details are hidden in cutscenes or conversations that are so easy to miss. Simply extracting your target rather than killing them almost always gives you a post-mission cutscene that puts a new twist in the plot. Honestly, I broke up the story missions so frequently with Side Ops that huge chunks of the plot were either forgotten or totally overlooked between one story mission to the next. In a few years I'll probably just blitz through the story missions on my current save so I don't have to slow things down with side ops or development.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

EngineerSean posted:

Thanks. As soon as I saw the full picture I knew I had to jump on it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

swamp waste posted:

One thing I really like about the plot is that you’re almost always the one being proactive – from the first few missions on, Skull Face is on the back foot the whole time. It’s really refreshing to play a game where the protagonists aren’t just reacting to everything around them. Hell, to see a story in general where that’s the case, even a lot of detective stories have the hero getting a lucky break by something or someone that comes across them. It’s slightly let down by Venom himself being kind of passive, but it really helps sell the whole legend of Big Boss (as well as the idea that Outer Heaven is a nascent force to be reckoned with) that once he has you in his sights, you’re hosed and all you can do is delay until he inevitably hunts you down.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Quiet's re-recruitable with the latest patch. Replay mission 11 7 times.
https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3s8xpn/latest_patch_replay_cloaked_in_silence_mission_7/

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The new patch made it possible to get Quiet back as a buddy! Confirmed it on the PS4. Replay Mission 11 six times and extract Quiet each time and the mission's title will change from "[Replay] Cloaked in Silence" to "[Reunion] Cloaked in Silence". Complete it again and extract Quiet and she will be selectable as a buddy again.

Maybe this is what all the 9/11 hints were actually about and Kojima was using God's one true time zone :britain:

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The liberal media is the patriots in action.

This is why the resistance compares themselves to the Founding Fathers like the tea party does. The patriots do it ironically insead.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Why 7 times instead of once? Really loving stupid.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

notZaar posted:

I'm surprised they didnt make it a reward for the extreme mission instead. Or dlc.

e: shooting her while she's laying on the ground at the end seems to start the count over :mad:

cheese sandwich fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 10, 2015

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Can someone give the TLDR of how the gently caress Zero figures into things at the end of the game and why Kaz and him are on speaking terms in that truth tape? I'm an MGS newbie and tried to read the wiki entry on the guy and still couldn't figure it out. The Man Who Sold The World mission transitioning Zero from basically Diamond Dogs' antichrist to being all but buddy buddy with Miller went completely over my head.

I understand Skull Face was operating rogue, but the transition still seemed really jarring and abrupt.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

notZaar posted:

Yeah that seems dumb. At least using a Fakel (SLEEP) makes it a really short mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Does anyone know if applying the "get quiet back" patch will mess with the new update? I used the patch but during free play Quit got sent to the infirmary and never returned so I kinda want to get her back the "normal" way.

• Locked thread