Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Nowadays we have all sorts of cool documentaries on the ancient lives of ancient people who are mostly anciently dead. The grand structures they constructed, their tombs and cities and technologies and legacies they left behind.

So I was wondering... considering the fact that digital media dies fairly rapidly and as everything is digital these days, what will people 1000 years from now discover from us, and how can we gently caress with them?

Last year, I have no idea why, but I had a Mexican pesos on me while I was in Dunkirk. There's a nature reserve nearby across the border in Belgium so I buried it a couple feet down so that it wouldn't be disappeared by erosion or construction or what have you, and hopefully discovered a few hundred years later, leading future paleontologists to be like "wtf?"

I'm thinking of going back with a whole bunch of pesos and just burying them around all around the reserve to further confound them.

What are you doing to gently caress with the future?

Jesus Christ fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

big diarrhea poop buried in a time capsule under the washington monument.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

also the time capsule should be constructed in such a way that it preserves the texture and especially aroma of the diarrhea poop.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

have a bunch of kids

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Hell Yeah posted:

also the time capsule should be constructed in such a way that it preserves the texture and especially aroma of the diarrhea poop.

you know there are scientists who study ancient poop (coprolites) so you're just giving them more poo poo to work with (lol) right?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
we can't really do that because we're probably not going to lose all the millions of accounts of history collated in countless academic databases, and even if all of it is stored on soon to be outdated medium they'll be able to transfer it over or, worst case, re-invent the old device used to access that media

the only reason ancient people didn't have a clue what was going on was because like a single person in any given area knew how to write, and if someone's big encyclopedia got old and torn apart or burned in a fire or fell in a ditch, that was it, it was gone forever as was all the accounts recorded on that, now even if a mega nuclear apocalypse happens there's probably still warehouses of school textbooks people could find if everything electronic exploded

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus Christ posted:

Nowadays we have all sorts of cool documentaries on the ancient lives of ancient people who are mostly anciently dead. The grand structures they constructed, their tombs and cities and technologies and legacies they left behind.

So I was wondering... considering the fact that digital media dies fairly rapidly and as everything is digital these days, what will people 1000 years from now discover from us, and how can we gently caress with them?

Last year, I have no idea why, but I had a Mexican pesos on me while I was in Dunkirk. There's a nature reserve nearby across the border in Belgium so I buried it a couple feet down so that it wouldn't be disappeared by erosion or construction or what have you, and hopefully discovered a few hundred years later, leading future paleontologists to be like "wtf?"

I'm thinking of going back with a whole bunch of pesos and just burying them around all around the reserve to further confound them.

What are you doing to gently caress with the future?

this but with my dick pic

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
What future?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
write "I'm gay" on the walls of every cave

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I'm going to be discovered in front of the ancient remains of my computer, perfectly preserved by the additives in all the soda and chips I would have been eating at the time. My withered, yet bloated middle finger will be extended towards the entrance of my tomb, and my free hand will be resting firmly on my lovely little jerky dick.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Volume posted:

this but with my dick pic

Presumptuous to assume future generations will have microscopes.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Jesus Christ posted:

you know there are scientists who study ancient poop (coprolites) so you're just giving them more poo poo to work with (lol) right?

i'm not talking about a fossilized poop, i'm talking about an absolutely fresh minted diarrhea poop inside a specially constructed time capsule so you open it and then a scientist from the future says "that smells like someone just had diarrhea."

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hell Yeah posted:

i'm not talking about a fossilized poop, i'm talking about an absolutely fresh minted diarrhea poop inside a specially constructed time capsule so you open it and then a scientist from the future says "that smells like someone just had diarrhea."

You don't think future poop will smell different? All the food will have evolved by then.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Vote for the fyad mod :twisted:

edit for dumbies: :D

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

You don't think future poop will smell different? All the food will have evolved by then.

food may change but poop never changes.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I use my car to drive up the driveway to get my mail from the mailbox 20 feet away

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hell Yeah posted:

food may change but poop never changes.

Well nobody knows what poo poo smelled like thousands of years ago. Although one could imagine the Paleolithic dawn, spit-roasting mammoth in a dank cave, ripping a sturdy, full-bodied fart, and the aroma transporting the mindset into something more ancient, more passionate and animalistic. Yes, that was a cave-man fart. I'm sure that's what it was like for cave men.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
fart a lot, op

and get everyone to join in the fun

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
we could try legalizing gay marriage and :420:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

ok so let's say in the future poop and farts smell like cup cakes or oranges. are you saying a perfectly preserved diarrhea poop from the present day wouldn't be a great thing to send to the future? because if you are saying that then i disagree with you.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hell Yeah posted:

ok so let's say in the future poop and farts smell like cup cakes or oranges. are you saying a perfectly preserved diarrhea poop from the present day wouldn't be a great thing to send to the future? because if you are saying that then i disagree with you.

Oh it would be hilarious for people in the past, but I don't know if future people would get the joke. They would probably just go eh, that smells funny.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'd say humans have about 75-80 years until the complete collapse and/or death of human civilization. I'd say we just need to keep up the good work myself.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
In 65 years we went from not flying to landing on the moon. In the 45 years since, we've invented twitter.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Continue the environmental degradation of the planet, maintain our accelerated reliance on finite resources (ex. petroleum products), and do not stop the falling birth rates in developed countries. Oh, and ban immunizations.

Pretty sure that'll do some cool things in a thousand years.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
actually in the 65 years since that we've brought millions and millions of images of hot naked women to people all over the world, so maybe you should SLOW YOUR FUKKIN ROLL before passing judgement on this generation

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
In all honesty, if I could choose any year to be born in, I would choose 2015. Our future as a species is very bright.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
i would choose to be born in year 100 AD and live in piss and poo poo until i died from malaria or a war

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

i would choose to be born in year 100 AD and live in piss and poo poo until i died from malaria or a war

The internet was lovely back then and only available through AOL parchments. As well as the fact that there were too many websites devoted to this science fiction writer named Jesus Christ and his cult "Chrientology"

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes

origami posted:

Presumptuous to assume future generations will have microscopes.

:drat:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
keep doing what we've been doing and change nothing

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
What's the best way to romance a cloud of chinese smog and heavy metals?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

destroy the earth's environment so it's all just a scorched earth

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Its archaeologists who will dig up your dumb poo poo OP.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ive had silicone molds of my cock and balls made, production run of 200,000, i dunno.. i think they might outlive me

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

eugenics so that everyone has a cock and balls until nobody can be born without one and they all have a cock and balls in the future

ExplosionFactory
Oct 4, 2007
Just look like we're having a good time in all photos, generally. Those miserable sons of bitches will hate us for it.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
set off atmospheric nuclear bombs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Before_Present

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Airborne Viking posted:

and do not stop the falling birth rates in developed countries.

lol, this one is the opposite of true???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
wasn't this the plot of that anachronox game

• Locked thread