Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

repiv posted:

You should try to get one of the cables known to follow the USB-C spec properly. A Google engineer is reviewing cables on Amazon and most of them don't.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/ref=cm_cr_rdp_pdp?tag=androidpolice-20

The non-compliant cables cause the phone to draw more power than a USB-A port is required to handle, so they can trip polyfuses or even damage the power supply.

I like how each review has 900 people who think it was helpful, and then a dozen who clicked "not helpful." What more do those people want from a review?

I didn't see any micro to C adapters on that list. Did I miss one, or alternatively does anyone know of a known-good one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently there's cases of Nexus 6ps that have the glass around the camera in the back cracking for no reason.

The post on Android Police has hit 411 comments of arguing in less than a day.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11/07/some-nexus-6p-owners-are-reporting-spontaneously-broken-rear-glass-panels/

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kitten smoothie posted:

You will still have issues with group messages and you will probably fail to receive messages from any existing group conversations, unless everyone in the group deletes the conversation and starts over. The Apple messages app will not convert an iMessage group conversation into a MMS group if one of the parties stops using iMessage; they just get blackholed until everyone deletes that conversation and someone re-creates it.

This is honestly the most annoying part. Any individual imessages won't be much of an issue if she isn't signed in to any other imessage device (ipads or macbooks). If she disables imessage on those devices, then the person will get failed to send errors, and can re-try as sms/mms.

imessage was great before cross-platform options like Facebook messenger and Hangouts became widespread, but now there really is no reason to use it. Unfortunately it's turned on by default for all iphones when you log in with your apple id.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently there's cases of Nexus 6ps that have the glass around the camera in the back cracking for no reason.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/11/07/some-nexus-6p-owners-are-reporting-spontaneously-broken-rear-glass-panels/

no reason apart from that one time they dropped it or sat on it but it totally couldn't be that cos there was no mark or crack or anything!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

no reason apart from that one time they dropped it or sat on it but it totally couldn't be that cos there was no mark or crack or anything!

If the pictures are to be believed, there's no impact mark, it just cracks.

Reminds me of the Nexus 4's glass back cracking due to temp changes.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its almost like not all impacts cause marks?

These people are lying so they can get a replacement

Its the same as all the exploding battery stories that almost always end up with them using a knock off charger or whatever

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 8, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Skarsnik posted:

Its the same as all the exploding battery stories that almost always end up with them using a knock off charger or whatever

It's not like it never happens. Didn't the nexus 4 have problems with the back glass cracking due to temperature changes? And the first gen Moto 360 has a widespread problem with its back cracking also.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Skarsnik posted:

Yes I'm sure it's all just a lying conspiracy!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cozmosis posted:

Yes I'm sure it's all just a lying conspiracy!

Nah, just one person posts a picture on twitter and suddenly everyone has an excuse as to why they broke their expensive thing

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's not like it never happens. Didn't the nexus 4 have problems with the back glass cracking due to temperature changes? And the first gen Moto 360 has a widespread problem with its back cracking also.

Yes, the Nexus 4's glass back is really fragile. It cracked due to people putting it on a warm granite counter from the cold outside. It was really poorly made.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Mine is cracked already from a very short drop. :(

Fragile glass + teflon phone is not a very good combo. Not quite as bad as the N4 was, but close.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sadly got more problems with my Moto X Pure. Anyone know why the phone might lose tracking on a finger or stylus periodically? Like I make a smooth continuous line on the screen and it breaks apart into 2 motions. I used the Developer menu to record it and confirm it was happening, made a gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/swMBo
One single swiping motion, using a stylus pushed down pretty firmly so it definitely was not leaving the screen. Happens pretty erratically, sometimes once every few minutes, sometimes less often.

If it were just software losing tracking that would be one thing, but this definitely looks like it is losing tracking at the OS level. Does this thing just have a terrible touch screen? Defective? Any other ideas?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The back on my N4 never cracked and I never used a case or took any special care of it. A friend that had one cracked the back once, but he also cracked the screen a couple of times.

My 360 is starting to crack though and I've never mistreated that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Sadly got more problems with my Moto X Pure. Anyone know why the phone might lose tracking on a finger or stylus periodically? Like I make a smooth continuous line on the screen and it breaks apart into 2 motions. I used the Developer menu to record it and confirm it was happening, made a gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/swMBo
One single swiping motion, using a stylus pushed down pretty firmly so it definitely was not leaving the screen. Happens pretty erratically, sometimes once every few minutes, sometimes less often.

If it were just software losing tracking that would be one thing, but this definitely looks like it is losing tracking at the OS level. Does this thing just have a terrible touch screen? Defective? Any other ideas?

That sounds defective to me.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LastInLine posted:

That sounds defective to me.

Yeah that's what I was leaning towards, I can't imagine a problem like this being common to a phone and nobody noticing it. I've seen the problem since day-1 I had the phone but I couldn't place if it was just me or it was the phone, but it's definitely the phone.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the last day of my 14-day return window and I'm debating if I should just return the thing, or ask for a replacement. I don't know if anyone has dealt with Motorola's s upport and has an opinion on if either one is significantly easier to do? I'm paranoid since last time I tried to use a warantee to fix a broken phone I got sent back a refurb that was ALSO broken (this was from HTC mind you).

I generally like the design of the phone, except for it running PAD like total dogshit (don't think it's the phones fault on that one, but it's basically the only phone game I even play), but I'm not adverse to trying something else out.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 8, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah that's what I was leaning towards, I can't imagine a problem like this being common to a phone and nobody noticing it. I've seen the problem since day-1 I had the phone but I couldn't place if it was just me or it was the phone, but it's definitely the phone.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the last day of my 14-day return window and I'm debating if I should just return the thing, or ask for a replacement. I don't know if anyone has dealt with Motorola's s upport and has an opinion on if either one is significantly easier to do? I'm paranoid since last time I tried to use a warantee to fix a broken phone I got sent back a refurb that was ALSO broken (this was from HTC mind you).

I generally like the design of the phone, except for it running PAD like total dogshit (don't think it's the phones fault on that one, but it's basically the only phone game I even play), but I'm not adverse to trying something else out.

I've had good experience with Moto support the times I've used it.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

peepsalot posted:

I'm getting txt messages from friends but it won't let me read them. They show up in hangouts as "New MMS message to download: size 1KB, expires on XX/XX X:XX" Touch to retry downloading and it just sits there saying "Downloading" indefinitely

On Nexus 5, android 6.0, T-Mobile. I tried turning off WiFi, resetting APN to default and rebooting doesn't seem to help. My phone is showing 3/4 to full signal LTE.

It just started doing it this evening I think the first was a group MMS that started it, and then 2 more replies that i can't read.

Anyone know how to fix this crap?

I'm also having this same issue on t-mobile with my new nexus 6p.

I've tried everything listed in this thread (removing pushbullet, changing APN username to "none") and nothing seems to work.

I'm going to try a new app I guess, but if that's the only fix, that's pretty sad. Neither hangouts or the default google Messenger app will send or receive texts properly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

beerinator posted:

I'm also having this same issue on t-mobile with my new nexus 6p.

I've tried everything listed in this thread (removing pushbullet, changing APN username to "none") and nothing seems to work.

I'm going to try a new app I guess, but if that's the only fix, that's pretty sad. Neither hangouts or the default google Messenger app will send or receive texts properly.

Did you boot into safemode and confirm it wasn't a different app? I just used Pushbullet as an example of an app with a known issue (which may have been fixed?) My wife had the same problem but not sure which app caused it, she just uninstalled a bunch and it started working. But safe mode will tell you if its an app.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

Did you boot into safemode and confirm it wasn't a different app? I just used Pushbullet as an example of an app with a known issue (which may have been fixed?) My wife had the same problem but not sure which app caused it, she just uninstalled a bunch and it started working. But safe mode will tell you if its an app.

For me it was Mighty Text. Also I think Helium can cause it. Any app that interacts with notifications and SMS seems like it can be the culprit.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I just did. Thanks!

I think it seems to be working again. I'm still testing by sending things to my wife's phone and back.

I think what fixed it was this APN setting?
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-12782

Specifically the MMSC setting seemed different from what I had originally: http ://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (remove spaces - added to avoid linking url)

I think you need to reboot after changing APN settings. It didn't work after I originally changed the settings and then after a reboot and then another safe mode reboot, images seem to be going out and coming back in properly.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LastInLine posted:

I've had good experience with Moto support the times I've used it.

After rebooting my phone I can't get the problem to happen anymore at all. It doesn't make sense to me that something running could have caused the issue, but I don't understand how the hell Android works. I even tried relaunching everything I could think of that could possibly have caused it (like TeamViewer, Twitch, etc). I don't think I had rebooted in a week or so, but I've never had the problem with a previous phone. I guess I'll just return it and try a different phone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

After rebooting my phone I can't get the problem to happen anymore at all. It doesn't make sense to me that something running could have caused the issue, but I don't understand how the hell Android works. I even tried relaunching everything I could think of that could possibly have caused it (like TeamViewer, Twitch, etc). I don't think I had rebooted in a week or so, but I've never had the problem with a previous phone. I guess I'll just return it and try a different phone.

Well I'm just spitballing, but when the system is overloaded by something it can start to get inconsistent and choppy, and that could mean it loses track of current touch events. Restarting could clear out whatever freak background problem was causing it

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Well I just ran in to a major problem with my 6P. People I talked to on the phone today said my voice was extremely quiet and tinny. As soon as I plugged my headphones with a mic in, they could hear me perfectly fine. Restarting the phone didn't help. I tried recording my voice to see if I could replicate it, but it sounded normal. Has anyone else had this problem with their phone before? Should I just send it back for a replacement?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Super Dude posted:

Well I just ran in to a major problem with my 6P. People I talked to on the phone today said my voice was extremely quiet and tinny. As soon as I plugged my headphones with a mic in, they could hear me perfectly fine. Restarting the phone didn't help. I tried recording my voice to see if I could replicate it, but it sounded normal. Has anyone else had this problem with their phone before? Should I just send it back for a replacement?

My first 2014 Moto X's speakerphone mic died within a couple weeks, which I guess I'd kinda similar. Like someone else up-thread, I had a good enough support experience.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Super Dude posted:

My call clarity is dramatically worse on my new phone and I am not sure if it's the 6P or my new carrier. My wife got a 6P too and it's muffled as gently caress.

I use the same carrier on my work phone and it's fine...

Where is the mic anyway? In the bottom speaker grill?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Reverse Centaur posted:

My call clarity is dramatically worse on my new phone and I am not sure if it's the 6P or my new carrier. My wife got a 6P too and it's muffled as gently caress.

I use the same carrier on my work phone and it's fine...

Where is the mic anyway? In the bottom speaker grill?

I assume it's on the bottom, but I'm not sure. Is your call quality worse in terms of your reception, or your voice on the other end?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Super Dude posted:

I assume it's on the bottom, but I'm not sure. Is your call quality worse in terms of your reception, or your voice on the other end?

Voice quality on the other end. Sounds like I'm talking through an oven mitt. Same when my wife calls from her 6P. It's a solid connection, just not very clear.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Reverse Centaur posted:

Voice quality on the other end. Sounds like I'm talking through an oven mitt. Same when my wife calls from her 6P. It's a solid connection, just not very clear.

That's disappointing. I'm on Verizon, who is your provider? I'm going to get a replacement, hopefully the next one doesn't have the same problem.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Super Dude posted:

That's disappointing. I'm on Verizon, who is your provider? I'm going to get a replacement, hopefully the next one doesn't have the same problem.

Bell, used to be Rogers. Basically the AT&T and Verizon of Canada - the two biggest ones who in theory should also have the best service.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Whats the goon concensus on the Samsung S6? Is getting Samsung'd a thing of the past with this model or should I stay away?

And no removable battery? :ohdear:

And is there a point to spending more to get the Edge?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Present posted:

Whats the goon concensus on the Samsung S6? Is getting Samsung'd a thing of the past with this model or should I stay away?

And no removable battery? :ohdear:

And is there a point to spending more to get the Edge?

Screen is beautiful, camera is awesome, fingerprint scanner sucks, battery life is atrocious, don't get the edge.

k-uno
Jun 20, 2004
I'm getting a new android phone around Christmastime, and I'm trying to narrow down my options. Specifically, I'll be buying an unlocked phone outright to use with T-Mobile, with a budget of around $400-450. I need a minimum of 32 GB of storage and currently use a Nexus 5 that I've had since 2013, which is a good phone but the camera is poo poo and it's starting to get buggy and slow. The most important things for me are:

* Close to stock Android (light customization by the manufacturer)
* Decent amount of RAM-- I like to load lots of longform articles in tabs to read later when I expect my internet connectivity to be bad (such as when I'm about to get onto a plane)
* Can disable everything that feels intrusive to privacy (e.g. turn off the "always listen for commands via audio" setting and things like that). With my Nexus 5 I've been able to turn off most everything that left me unsettled.
* Good camera. This is the big one; I didn't realize just how bad the Nexus 5's camera was until my wife got an iPhone 5S that just blows it out of the water.

Given these constraints, I've narrowed it down to the LG G4, Nexus 5X, and Moto X Pure. They all seem like pretty good phones, with the G4 seeming to be a bit better than the other two (nice screen, 3GB RAM, very good camera) from reviews I've read. Is there anything I'm missing? And given the constraints which is the best?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sounds like you should just stick with what you know and get the 5X.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

k-uno posted:

I'm getting a new android phone around Christmastime, and I'm trying to narrow down my options. Specifically, I'll be buying an unlocked phone outright to use with T-Mobile, with a budget of around $400-450. I need a minimum of 32 GB of storage and currently use a Nexus 5 that I've had since 2013, which is a good phone but the camera is poo poo and it's starting to get buggy and slow. The most important things for me are:

* Close to stock Android (light customization by the manufacturer)
* Decent amount of RAM-- I like to load lots of longform articles in tabs to read later when I expect my internet connectivity to be bad (such as when I'm about to get onto a plane)
* Can disable everything that feels intrusive to privacy (e.g. turn off the "always listen for commands via audio" setting and things like that). With my Nexus 5 I've been able to turn off most everything that left me unsettled.
* Good camera. This is the big one; I didn't realize just how bad the Nexus 5's camera was until my wife got an iPhone 5S that just blows it out of the water.

Given these constraints, I've narrowed it down to the LG G4, Nexus 5X, and Moto X Pure. They all seem like pretty good phones, with the G4 seeming to be a bit better than the other two (nice screen, 3GB RAM, very good camera) from reviews I've read. Is there anything I'm missing? And given the constraints which is the best?

Just to be totally sure, are you planning on selling the Nexus 5 and is that already included in the budget? A Nexus 6p would be good, and isn't much bigger than a G4 or Moto X Pure, though it'll start at $500 for 32 GB and $550 for 64. Of those three you listed, the G4 should have the best camera.

k-uno
Jun 20, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Just to be totally sure, are you planning on selling the Nexus 5 and is that already included in the budget? A Nexus 6p would be good, and isn't much bigger than a G4 or Moto X Pure, though it'll start at $500 for 32 GB and $550 for 64. Of those three you listed, the G4 should have the best camera.

Sadly, the screen on my N5 is cracked so I doubt I'd get much for it. At $500, the 6P is a bit more than I'd want to spend.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

k-uno posted:

Sadly, the screen on my N5 is cracked so I doubt I'd get much for it. At $500, the 6P is a bit more than I'd want to spend.

You'll likely get something like $50-100 just selling as is on eBay.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

uPen posted:

Screen is beautiful, camera is awesome, fingerprint scanner sucks, battery life is atrocious, don't get the edge.

The fingerprint scanner is pretty much as good as the one on any other top of the line Android, it's not the same as the one in the S5.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Well the exchange process is pretty painless with the Google Store. They estimate the phone should be here by next Monday, but I'm hoping sooner.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

The fingerprint scanner is pretty much as good as the one on any other top of the line Android, it's not the same as the one in the S5.

No it's not. Unless you're a child you can only fit half your finger on the sensor because it's so small. So if you use it and you put the exact section of your finger that you initially registered on the button, it will usually work. But you have to stop and consciously think about how to position your finger in order to get it to work, and at that point it's not really saving you any time or effort. It's total garbage compared to either the iPhone 6s or the 5x/6p, where you just mash any part of your finger on the sensor at any angle and it works 100% of the time and unlocks the phone in a fraction of a second.

Samsung's fingerprint scanners will always suck until they get over their obsession with oval-shaped buttons/sensors and switch to a big round one like the phones I mentioned where you can actually fit your whole finger on it.

edit: As someone who owns an S6 uPens assessment is entirely accurate. Display and camera are pretty much #1 in the industry, battery blows rear end(can be circumvented by getting the Note 5 instead), and fingerprint scanner is lousy, especially compared to iPhone/Nexus standards.

Selane fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The scanner on the S6 is similar. It's alright, but can take a couple tries from time to time - the video reviews of the new Nexus phones I've seen have crazy fast cool awesome scanners in comparison.