Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't have them but I recall reading that they have indeed hosed that up. It's a safe bet, put it that way.

e: If someone here does have the ones that are out, this one is from Volume 1 of the Japanese OPM prints, so if you have that volume physically and this isn't on the back, they've probably not bothered with any future ones either.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Are these just huge or something? Those are nuts for single volumes, I might just buy those cause of how nice they look

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A picture of someone elses, which makes it look pretty similar to normal sized for the tankobons I'm used to (Viz ones, which Amazon lists Stardust Crusaders vol.1 at 5 x 0.8 x 7.5 inches*).

The part you fold for perspective seems to fold into the back like a paper cover on a hard back does.

The amazon US size lists the US vol 1 as 5 x 0.6 x 7.5 inches
The amazon US size lists the Japanese vol 1 at 6.9 x 0.7 x 4.4 inches (It seems like they put the order of dimensions back to front compared to the US site).

So if those measurements are correct, the US volume is actually a little bigger overall.

(listing for Japanese vol 1: http://www.amazon.com/x30EF-x30F3-x30D1-x30DE-Onepunch-Man/dp/408870701X)
(listing for US vol 1:http://www.amazon.com/One-Punch-Man-Vol-1-ONE/dp/1421585642)

* Got those measurements here: http://www.amazon.com/JoJos-Bizarre-Adventure-3--Stardust-Crusaders/dp/159116754X

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Viz releases don't have flaps, but I've heard they altered the layout slightly to try to replicate the effect.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I remember hearing that Japanese tankobons usually have a dust jacket, which lets them do stuff like that. I have no idea how the American OPM volumes do it but I don't think they have dust jackets so we wouldn't get the cool perspectives.

Edit: I'll go see if the bookstore near my school has any volumes of OPM so I can take a pic of what they do if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh okay, so it's a flap. I was confused as to why single volumes would look so huge, but it turns out I'm just bad.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Lame :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looks like I'm buying some tanks then

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like that they tried to remain faithful and keep them but it does lose the charm of it somewhat. Still awesome.

I think Vol.3 only came out yesterday in the states though, so that's neat that you could find it in your store. I'd probably wait until there was a big box covered in special Murata art before buying OPM tankobons though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have the big box of Naruto volumes which I think has all of the volumes up to end of Part 1. It's an ugly rear end green box but that's what I want but OPM instead.

e: yeah, vol 1 - 27. I should check and see how much I could sell it for because I haven't touched them in a good decade I reckon.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 4, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Make the box yellow though so it's even uglier

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would buy the poo poo out of a box if it looked like Saitama's outfit. Even if it had nothing inside.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Not gonna lie, I haven't gone into a store to buy manga for a long time because I go more for digital manga because it saves space and lets me carry around a poo poo ton of volumes on one relatively small device (it's great for marathon reading for long trips or w/e), but at least I know that if I decide to go back to physical volumes, my store's pretty well stocked. On that note, digital OPM releases rule because Viz is already up to Vol 8.

edit: also pages like these are really hard to appreciate in print.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 4, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Literally the only time anyone has ever wanted a dust jacket on a book.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Older page, but still gets me every time. loving :lol:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I had completely forgotten that he predicted that back at the sparring match. Amazing callback.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Preorder is up.

http://youtu.be/czDp-UKmBI4

http://goodsmile-global.ecq.sc/top/gscnenwd00575.html

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 7, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a version without the extra promo details too.

You get an OVA with it detailing the origins of Saitama's hero costume.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 7, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would imagine that King's book about becoming an S-Class is just a protracted "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuh gently caress."

And then another draft had to be ghostwritten.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I would imagine that King's book about becoming an S-Class is just a protracted "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuh gently caress."

And then another draft had to be ghostwritten.

It's just the amalgamation of a bunch of Final Fantasy plots

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
While I understand everyone's heart is in the right place, it would probably be better not to keep drawing attention to King in the anime thread prior to the reveal of what makes him so important and beloved - which probably won't happen this season, but nonetheless.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fair enough, I figured it was somewhat relevant since we were chatting about Blizzard and Tornado showing up early, but I'll can it for the rest of the season.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Those two are more or less safe to post about; the issue with King is just that all these shots of him innocuously hanging around or being scared risk spoiling the surprise.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Metal Bat animation test

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/662867789913260032

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I love how going down Murata's twitter and hitting the translate button makes it sound, in butchered English, that he loves the episodes just as much as everyone here. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Punching stuff is hungry work.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Does anyone have the pic of whatever character drawn on Murata's hand? Can't find it anywhere

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Death Bot posted:

Does anyone have the pic of whatever character drawn on Murata's hand? Can't find it anywhere

and more importantly

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

:jackbud:

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

a kitten posted:

Punching stuff is hungry work.

There was a an occurrence where eating monsters granted powers, some crows ate some leftovers after one battle and got all big and beefy. Saitama really started getting stronger after taking down the crab monster (has Saitama cannibalised many monsters?)

EDIT:

Goffer fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 9, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't remember that at all. Sure you aren't thinking of a different series?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

I don't remember that at all. Sure you aren't thinking of a different series?

I don't know if i've seen it online tbh, it's in the print volume tho.

It's just an end of chapter panel, not an arc or anything like that.

e,fb

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If it turns out that eating monsters is what gave Saitama his powers, well, that'd honestly be a good way to explain it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That theory has been explored.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If it turns out that eating monsters is what gave Saitama his powers, well, that'd honestly be a good way to explain it.

I always figured it was because, in the OPM universe, it seems being super intense about something can physically change you, like with Krabante there. Saitama was super serious about his training, so he got incredible power.

It's better if it's never actually explained, though.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Genocyber posted:

I always figured it was because, in the OPM universe, it seems being super intense about something can physically change you, like with Krabante there. Saitama was super serious about his training, so he got incredible power.

It's better if it's never actually explained, though.

The caveat is that becoming super intense also makes you a monster. I think Saitama managed to avoid that by never becoming TOO intense - he's just not enough into it to become a monster. He's a hero as a hobby, after all.

Also he seems to be fighting undiagnosed chronic depression so that could also be holding him back from getting too into it.

But like you said, this is all better if it's never explained, and this is all just projected theory crafting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think after a point just about everybody assumes that since it makes sense and fits on a number of levels.

Though it's a minor distinction, but I don't think it's necessarily that Saitama was super serious about his training per se, but rather that he was super serious about being a hero and that training was just his way to achieve that goal. Meanwhile Crabrante was super serious about his own interests and those mostly involved eating crab. It's not that he trained to eat a lot of crab, but rather he was just really serious about crab.

Basically, what I'm saying is that hobbies should be enjoyed in moderation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

gnome7 posted:

The caveat is that becoming super intense also makes you a monster. I think Saitama managed to avoid that by never becoming TOO intense - he's just not enough into it to become a monster. He's a hero as a hobby, after all.

Also he seems to be fighting undiagnosed chronic depression so that could also be holding him back from getting too into it.

But like you said, this is all better if it's never explained, and this is all just projected theory crafting.

I do think Saitama actually did cross the line into monster territory though. Remember that there's a common thread among the "super serious about something"-type monsters. They all became strong and their appearances changed.

Just my two cents on the matter.