Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

GalacticAcid posted:

Turns out Ben was lying. He didn't stab his friend with a knife ~ he stabbed him with a spear.

ben carson puts his hands on his temples and aquaman thought rings come out of his forehead. two thousand years ago, jesus receives a message that changes history.

the romans try to nail him to the cross. Nice Try idiots. jesus has belt buckles on his hands. the nails are deflected. they come at him with spears. guess again. that's right, buckles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Nonsense posted:

Jeb Bush would be perceived very poorly educated if he ran in Teddy's era.

B-b-b-b--but Jeb! It connotes excitement!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

GalacticAcid posted:

Turns out Ben was lying. He didn't stab his friend with a knife ~ he stabbed him with a spear.

tomorrow's headlines : Ben Carson single-handedly defeats tank company

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Can we get an excitement check for JEB!?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
still fairly excited

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

A Neurotic Jew posted:

still fairly excited

Much appreciated!!! <== Adding some extra excitement!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

SpRahl posted:

Wait does Killing Lincoln suggest that Edwin Stanton was the real mastermind of the assassination?

It pretty much pushes any conspiracy theory besides the Confederacy was behind the Surrat plot. I have had several people who have read the book that have told me that they think Stanton did it now (because he was not targeted, because he went after the surviving members of the plot so quickly and harshly, etc.).

Heck, it even pushes the idea that Booth did this because he was a gilted lover who lost his "true love" to Robert Lincoln.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Really excited by JEB!!!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So, up to and including the campaign of William McKinley (and revived by Harding in 1920), you saw the "front porch campaign," where the candidate would pretend to be above "running" for president and would leave that to surrogates while preferring to sit on his front porch and answer press questions etc. This was, of course, a huge facade/PR move because it was considered uncouth to actually campaign for President.

Jeb! Bush was born to run that sort of late-19th century campaign.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Cabinet posted:

Tomorrow's headlines: Presidential frontrunner Ben Carson claims to have been on SNL.

The base backs his claim to counter liebral media!

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Teddy was a vicious nationalist who thirsted for eternal war of conquest. His reactionary conceptions of empire coupled with a more vigorous national welfare model put him on par with contemporary conservative leaders like Bismarck.

these are all good things though???

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Michael Corleone posted:

Really excited by JEB!!!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Just
Excitement
Bros
!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Here is the thing I am really having a problem with, over Ben Carson's distinguished academic and professional career no one was successfully able to bring up the point that the guy was a loving nutbag narcissist and clip his wings?

I mean surely plenty of people realized before a few months ago that the guy is loving insane before you get to the narcissism and pathological lying boring on legit sociopathy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cabinet posted:

Just
Excitement
Bros
!

actually it stands for "john ellis bush"

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this debate is similar to the one about whether the republicans are the party of lincoln. no label can retain unchanged a specific set of implications united through a specific set of interrelations across generations, and the fact that we tend to impose these things in reverse chronology should help highlight how self-serving and antihistorical the effort is

pulling the term progressive out of history's rear end, applying it to modern liberal/leftist concerns, then retroactively applying those concerns to the original progressives serves a purpose and helps us feel good about ourselves and our ideas. frederick douglass republicans and other people who skim through history and snatch labels and quotes to be deployed as strategic weapons without regard to context are simply applying the same process

they tend to do it in a more childish way, with practically no reflection on anything, so it's easy to make fun of. but it's a very similar process

progressivism contained conservationists like john muir who were basically tree huggers but it also had conservationists like gifford pinchot who helped turn yosemite national park's second raddest valley into a municipal reservoir for san francisco's water supply (hetch hetchy). conservationism was about preserving natural resources for future generations but it was also about beneficially using those resources for the greatest number over the greatest period of time. so the national parks weren't just for deer to run around in, they were also massive water supply projects, and once you'd used those forests to purify the water why would you just let it wander off into the sea? our concerns and priorities and perceptions and practically every other drat noun you can think of have changed since then and thus so has our use both of the label 'conservationist' and our historiography of the original conservationists' actions

progressivism had a social darwinist heritage too, sterilization and whatnot, it's easy to find conservative web sites that will tell you all about it. the thing that brings the types of conservationists and the sterilizers and the social reformers together was a belief in the power of the central government to shape society. the battles progressives fought then that happen to coincide with the battles non-republicans fight now, and the fact that both groups generally want to use federal power and state regulation as means to their ends, don't make teddy roosevelt some kind of elizabeth warren in grayscale. the rhetoric that tries to shape our discourse so that we think about their commonalities rather than their differences is what's interesting here - and it's also interesting that the republicans who draw comparisons to lincoln or douglass are basically doing the same thing but in crayon and with adorable kindergarten misspellings

neways ~fartz~

edit: also look at woodrow wilson's loving teeth

imagine that running for president nowadays

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Nice, but my three !'s were: two to show I was twice as excited as all of you, and the other to show just how excited I really am as a person. Are you even excited?!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Three Olives posted:

Here is the thing I am really having a problem with, over Ben Carson's distinguished academic and professional career no one was successfully able to bring up the point that the guy was a loving nutbag narcissist and clip his wings?

I mean surely plenty of people realized before a few months ago that the guy is loving insane before you get to the narcissism and pathological lying boring on legit sociopathy.

alot of brain surgeons are hosed up sociopaths who get a rush from the thrill of cutting someones brain open under pressure. As long as you can do the job it really doesn't matter to the people certifying you.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Trump fights the establishment, Carson bucks the media with their gotcha questions which were used to insult the intelligence of average people like Carson, and Palin before him.

Anything that pisses off liberals, anything that doesn't jive with liberals sensibilities of what is fair or right, anything that will absolutely make liberals look like they are the real racists. This election all they have is hubris.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Three Olives posted:

My impression is that Carson's weird beliefs and right wing political philosophy basically was something he didn't discuss during his career in academic medicine, there's no reason it would HAVE to come up, it's not really related to the medicine. Then he got famous after that prayer breakfast speech and really let his freak flag fly.

I seem to remember reading something where a Johns Hopkins colleague of his said something to this effect but I'm not certain of it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

as much as conservatives wish they did, academics don't actually purge each other based on their private opinions about poo poo that has nothing to do with their jobs

although academia is also viciously political and internecine warfare is common so personal attacks do play a role and i'm sure at some point someone has used a conservative rival's views on something random as a weapon against them

so i guess what im saying is, you could cherrypick methods academics have used to purge each other to construct whatever narrative you want but the underlying reason is because they're power-hungry jackasses

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 9, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Three Olives posted:

The GOP is desperate, and no one can really keep up the chirade of supply-side tax cuts without being actually stupid or outright lying. Mark my words, Rubio won't hold up to scrutiny either. the entire conservative worldview is on trial and none of them realize that they've lost.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
LolWilson. He'd never win the modern Democratic party nomination, given he was a huge racist. It's funny how political parties change over time.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Are 'gotcha' questions anything more than "in 2007 you said something, do you still feel that way?"

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
OK, since we are talking hypothetical's, just how bad would JFK beat everyone if he were running this cycle? Clean sweep of the primary and then what?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also didnt andrew jackson stab someone? i think he actually shot them

ben carson is a jacksonian democrat

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Three Olives posted:

You clearly haven't hung around enough academics and doctors. It's only relatively recently that anybody put them under any serious scrutiny as far as interpersonal relations are concerned.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Triglav posted:

Are 'gotcha' questions anything more than "in 2007 you said something, do you still feel that way?"

No. Most gotcha questions are literally just "what about [thing you said]?" or "how do you feel about ____?"

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Michael Corleone posted:

OK, since we are talking hypothetical's, just how bad would JFK beat everyone if he were running this cycle? Clean sweep of the primary and then what?

honestly he barely beat nixon and his historical canonization is to a great degree based on getting killed at a convenient time

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
"The math in your insane tax plan doesnt add up" is my favorite gotcha

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Michael Corleone posted:

JFK would be the greatest GOP front runner of our time.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lotka Volterra posted:

No. Most gotcha questions are literally just "what about [thing you said]?" or "how do you feel about ____?"

I think you mean "what newspapers do you read?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Triglav posted:

Marco Rubio claimed that a question he was asked in the last debate was a "gotcha" question. This was the question:

quote:

HARWOOD: Senator Rubio, 30 seconds to you.

The Tax Foundation, which was alluded to earlier, scored your tax plan and concluded that you give nearly twice as much of a gain in after-tax income to the top 1 percent as to people in the middle of the income scale.

Since you're the champion of Americans living paycheck-to- paycheck, don't you have that backward?

Sort of makes you think.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

as much as conservatives wish they did, academics don't actually purge each other based on their private opinions about poo poo that has nothing to do with their jobs

although academia is also viciously political and internecine warfare is common so personal attacks do play a role and i'm sure at some point someone has used a conservative rival's views on something random as a weapon against them

so i guess what im saying is, you could cherrypick methods academics have used to purge each other to construct whatever narrative you want but the underlying reason is because they're power-hungry jackasses

Carson was a surgeon, not an academic.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You clearly haven't hung around enough academics and doctors. It's only relatively recently that anybody put them under any serious scrutiny as far as interpersonal relations are concerned.

I've noticed the trend in academia for dealing with delusional assholes is "Hey, that guy's a real prick you should avoid him at all costs" as opposed to anything official. It can be about as damaging as any official sanction, anyway, since you lose a lot of potential collaborators and funding

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I think you mean "what newspapers do you read?"

That, too

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 9, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

AfroLine posted:

JFK would be the greatest GOP front runner of our time.

Bill O'Reilly account spotted.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sounds like the Ted Cruz Super PAC Empire is holding off for one of ol' Baldrick's cunning plans.

quote:

Washington (CNN)Ted Cruz enjoys millions of dollars in super PAC money but he may have to wait until after the first round of primaries before he can reap the benefits of that unlimited cash.

The Keep the Promise set -- four super PACs which have collected more than $38 million to independently support Cruz's surging bid -- is struggling to show signs of life that can satisfy budding external pressure from both the official campaign and other Cruz allies.

Keep the Promise II, the group funded with $10 million from Houston investor Toby Neugebauer, has not reserved any television time and has no plans to air advertisements until March or April, according to a leader of the super PACs, who requested anonymity to outline internal thinking in detail.

Read on. It's a complete shitshow.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This whole "are they co-ordinating or are they not?" thing is ridiculous and the Supreme Court should be ashamed.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
People who have the discretionary income to waste millions on a Ted Cruz campaign are, ironically, the strongest argument we have for punitively progressive taxation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So all these Super PACs, what's to stop the people running them from using the money for new BMWs and house renovations?

Seems like I should start a Super PAC and then I could retire.

• Locked thread