Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So all these Super PACs, what's to stop the people running them from using the money for new BMWs and house renovations?

Seems like I should start a Super PAC and then I could retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
I can already picture the media going after JFK for his many, many infidelities.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Josh Lyman posted:

So all these Super PACs, what's to stop the people running them from using the money for new BMWs and house renovations?

Basically the people running the PACs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QuSuKcrAeU

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
And yes, Andrew Jackson did indeed shoot someone. Andrew Jackson was not a guy you wanted to gently caress with. He was notorious for being violent and cranky.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

There was actually a story a month ago about a guy who set up a Make America Great Again SuperPAC with no actual Trump ties and got a ton of money. You could probably do the same for Sanders if it weren't that his slogan is some ridiculous 50+ word run on sentence or something.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

The people running that particular PAC are the people that came up with the money. Someone who can drop $10 million into supporting Ted Cruz doesn't need to embezzle like Rove did in 2012.

This seems like what we saw in 2012, the donors have their own ideas about how they should spend the money, even though they may be aligned with a the candidate, they often think they know better about how to use it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Patter Song posted:

There was actually a story a month ago about a guy who set up a Make America Great Again SuperPAC with no actual Trump ties and got a ton of money. You could probably do the same for Sanders if it weren't that his slogan is some ridiculous 50+ word run on sentence or something.

Already happened. Guess who was their biggest fish?

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Patter Song posted:

No it isn't. It's literally just "Feel the Bern." :berned:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lol, that's another reason why the big donors prefer to control the PACS themselves.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Matthewtheman posted:

I can already picture the media going after JFK for his many, many infidelities.

Not to mention he's from Taxachussets, and he voted in support of Eisenhower's 50% tax rate on the top income bracket.

And let's not forget PT Boaters for Truth.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Josh Lyman posted:

They're probably led by a board of trustees comprised of the largest shareholders and not a single individual. They'd be spending a lot of their own money and ruining business relationships. Embezzlement and whatnot would also increase board and shareholder liability.

But the funds could very well be set up similar to a hedge fund with trustees taking 2% assets under management as compensation.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 18, 2016

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Carson's collapsing house of lies is exactly would have happened to Reagan if there was internet in the 60s.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
There was.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

(My terrible attempt)

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
I'm sorry, but nothing can top Friend Bear.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

H5N1 posted:

I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

Justifiably
Exciting Everyone
Bi-secondly
!

(The 2 E's connote even more excitement)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Triglav posted:

There was.
__/
:fishmech:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lol, that's another reason why the big donors prefer to control the PACS themselves.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Jeb! seems to think he can become president without actually getting more votes than his opponents.

I have no idea where he could have got such an idea.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Joementum posted:

Sounds like the Ted Cruz Super PAC Empire is holding off for one of ol' Baldrick's cunning plans.

Read on. It's a complete shitshow.

quote:

This summer, Neugebauer stepped back from day-to-day operations and was replaced primarily by David Barton, a Texas operative with deep ties to the nation's pastors

David Barton would be raising cash for ted Cruz.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

honestly he barely beat nixon and his historical canonization is to a great degree based on getting killed at a convenient time

plus im not sure modern media would allow him to get away with such rampant womanizing

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Why did Trump suddenly do a 180 and stop being crazy and outspoken? I had assumed he would keep up the crazy and eventually say something too unacceptable.

I wonder if that will prevent people from getting bored of his antics and sort of lock in his support or if I'm just reading too much into it.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Mitt Romney posted:

Why did Trump suddenly do a 180 and stop being crazy and outspoken? I had assumed he would keep up the crazy and eventually say something too unacceptable.

I wonder if that will prevent people from getting bored of his antics and sort of lock in his support or if I'm just reading too much into it.

I'm sure he'll get some :iceburn:'s on Kasich & Jeb! at the debate this week bro.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

agent_wildflower posted:

(My terrible attempt)

This is actually perfect. Thanks!

What I meant was, "I was standing there with thousands of other players when the servers crashed. So I COULD HAVE opened the gates if Blizzard hadn't poo poo the bed.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mitt Romney posted:

hes settling into becoming a more serious candidate now that he has seen that his lead is actually sustainable

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Mitt Romney posted:

For some reason I think Trump is going to go completely ape poo poo this debate and fire all guns on everyone with exception of Cruz.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mitt Romney posted:

Carson's and Bush's implosions are dominating the news cycles: never interrupt your enemy while they're making a mistake.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

babypolis posted:

hes settling into becoming a more serious candidate now that he has seen that his lead is actually sustainable

kill me now

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Carson's and Bush's implosions are dominating the news cycles: never interrupt your enemy while they're making a mistake.

I'm not so sure Carson's imploding right now; let's see how his poll numbers shake out over the next couple of weeks.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

DaveWoo posted:

I'm not so sure Carson's imploding right now; let's see how his poll numbers shake out over the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, the entire right wing media from FOXNEWS to talk radio, to Breitbart, are closing ranks and protecting Carson.

Right now he could use fetal tissue from an aborted baby and get away with it!

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

He's now got a wound Trump can stick his finger in

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im pretty sure trump was planning this whole thing to be a quick cash grab and as amazing as it sounds he was surprised at his own success. seeing that hes now switched to a much subltler long con

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

zen death robot posted:

Carson's strength seems to be making himself out to be a victim of the mainstream media attacking unfairly whenever anything is brought up from his past and the people that like him hate the media for the most part. I think he'll be fine up until the primaries actually start.

his mild mannered demeanor and impressive life story make him almost impervious to attacks, which is why getting all angry and whiny during that press conference could have been a huge misstep

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Hi there, polling fans!

For whatever reason RCP decided to drop the CBS/NYT poll that had Carson up so Trump is back in #1 on RCP after a three day Carson lead. That lead did interrupt Trump's streak, so his 106 day continuous lead is over. How will polling treat Trump and Carson now? We'll probably have to wait a whole week to find out, as the pollsters are probably waiting until after Tuesday's debate to start another round of polling.

Lower down we have Rubio rising, Cruz hitting double digits, Fiorina continuing her descent into irrelevance and officially joining the clowncar, and a record low for Jeb! Pointing out that Jeb Bush is below Ron Paul 2012 is pointless because of course he is, he's polling on par with Ron Paul 2008 now.

Four years ago we had the collapse of Herman Cain and the rise of Newt Gingrich. I like how much less crowded the 2012 lines are. Huntsman and Santorum stay at the very bottom with Bachmann slightly above them. Compare that to the clusterfuck of sub-Jeb! lines on our graph.

Next week: Gingrich takes the lead four years ago, and we find out what the fallout of Carson's relationship with Friend Bear and the next GOP debate is.

So, working under the assumption that the RNC is able to get their poo poo together and throw their weight behind a candidate the can get the base to vote for (like Rubio or Cruz), Reince and them don't actually have to worry about not getting their boy in the general?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

oystertoadfish posted:

this debate is similar to the one about whether the republicans are the party of lincoln. no label can retain unchanged a specific set of implications united through a specific set of interrelations across generations, and the fact that we tend to impose these things in reverse chronology should help highlight how self-serving and antihistorical the effort is

pulling the term progressive out of history's rear end, applying it to modern liberal/leftist concerns, then retroactively applying those concerns to the original progressives serves a purpose and helps us feel good about ourselves and our ideas. frederick douglass republicans and other people who skim through history and snatch labels and quotes to be deployed as strategic weapons without regard to context are simply applying the same process

they tend to do it in a more childish way, with practically no reflection on anything, so it's easy to make fun of. but it's a very similar process

progressivism contained conservationists like john muir who were basically tree huggers but it also had conservationists like gifford pinchot who helped turn yosemite national park's second raddest valley into a municipal reservoir for san francisco's water supply (hetch hetchy). conservationism was about preserving natural resources for future generations but it was also about beneficially using those resources for the greatest number over the greatest period of time. so the national parks weren't just for deer to run around in, they were also massive water supply projects, and once you'd used those forests to purify the water why would you just let it wander off into the sea? our concerns and priorities and perceptions and practically every other drat noun you can think of have changed since then and thus so has our use both of the label 'conservationist' and our historiography of the original conservationists' actions

progressivism had a social darwinist heritage too, sterilization and whatnot, it's easy to find conservative web sites that will tell you all about it. the thing that brings the types of conservationists and the sterilizers and the social reformers together was a belief in the power of the central government to shape society. the battles progressives fought then that happen to coincide with the battles non-republicans fight now, and the fact that both groups generally want to use federal power and state regulation as means to their ends, don't make teddy roosevelt some kind of elizabeth warren in grayscale. the rhetoric that tries to shape our discourse so that we think about their commonalities rather than their differences is what's interesting here - and it's also interesting that the republicans who draw comparisons to lincoln or douglass are basically doing the same thing but in crayon and with adorable kindergarten misspellings

neways ~fartz~

edit: also look at woodrow wilson's loving teeth

imagine that running for president nowadays

This is pretty much what I wanted to say, except I'd only have eked out about 3 sentences and then called someone an rear end in a top hat and given up. Trying to view politicians or historical figures from any previous generation--especially multiple generations ago--entirely through the lens of current political sensibilities is dumb as hell and there's no point in doing it except to score tumblr points. All of us right now have opinions that, in 100 years, will have been deemed barbaric.

oystertoadfish posted:

honestly he barely beat nixon and his historical canonization is to a great degree based on getting killed at a convenient time

He really did have some remarkable speechwriters though. also an incredible amount of sex

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

anime tupac posted:

He really did have some remarkable speechwriters though. also an incredible amount of sex

Well obviously. Thank God Cecil Stoughton was there to capture it all!

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Cabinet posted:

Tomorrow's headlines: Presidential frontrunner Ben Carson claims to have been on SNL.

He wasn't just on it, he created it! In fact, his idea for SNL was what motivated him to invent television in the first place! Yeah, that's the ticket!

agent_wildflower posted:

(My terrible attempt)

Here's an imgur album containing some blanks.

If someone wants to make a meme generator with them or something, the typeface used in the captions is Helvetica Narrow Bold. It's not an exact match to the original source images, but it's close enough.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I haven't followed the thread very much lately, but has this been posted yet?

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I'm not the best at image manipulation, but this one with something like "Carson claims he's never lost a Mario" or something to that effect would be excellent.

• Locked thread