Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Tanith posted:

what exactly am I looking at here

Black pudding with cheese topping and a boiled egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Looks bad todd

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if you dont wash your cast iron pans you are a gross goon monster

oh huh, the internet says that you can wash it, just don't let it soak.

a tv chef told me to just salt and wipe down.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

people using a terminal in 2015
i like the terminal. its fun typing stuff.

I make 3d models and do photoshopping all via terminal commands

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
hosed up if true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

KoRMaK posted:

i like the terminal. its fun typing stuff.

I make 3d models and do photoshopping all via terminal commands

what can i google to figure out how to do 3d models from the terminal?

i have wanted to do that for a long time but i was too lazy to make my own svg rendererr so i just forgot about it

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

hosed up if true

barons childe toucher

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

when you season a pan, youre actually polymerizing the oil into the surface layer of the iron oxide. the higher the smoke point of the oil used originally, the hotter you can get the pan and the better the season you can get aka, use safflower oil

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

can someone help me understand this command from this tweet

https://twitter.com/liamosaur/status/506975850596536320

alias gently caress='sudo $(history -p \!\!)'

I know what alias is doing, but its the history -p \!\! part. What does -p do and what does the \!\! do? Why not just !!

!! in bash expands to the previous command, and history -p means 'perform history expansion on this string', so history -p '!!' will evaluate to the last command. the escaping of the !s is unnecessary because they won't get expanded inside single quotes, but if they were in double quotes you'd need it to keep them from being expanded before the alias gets defined

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Panty Saluter posted:

hosed up if true

cp = cat pics

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

we're a black metal/ska mashup who does erotic covers of 8bit chiptunes

link teh soundcloud

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

ban for CP

sickenign

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

DiggityDoink posted:

is that one of those egg laying dildos ive heard about recently?

yes it's that

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Moist von Lipwig posted:

link teh soundcloud

https://www. Soundcloud.con/terriblepoopforyourears

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
woah there buddy CP belongs in imp zone we all know that

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
donate to my indiegogo so i can buy a wide variety of esoteric fetish sextoys and an expensive camera so i can make my stop motion masterpiece: dildoug's big adventure

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Improbable Lobster posted:

donate to my indiegogo so i can buy a wide variety of esoteric fetish sextoys and an expensive camera so i can make my stop motion masterpiece: dildoug's big adventure

What are the

Stretch goals

xD

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

what can i google to figure out how to do 3d models from the terminal?

i have wanted to do that for a long time but i was too lazy to make my own svg rendererr so i just forgot about it

I was just kidding. you could probably make it semi easily, just some set next vertex method in your bash.

Alternatively, you just write as code in something that has a renderer, or maybe pipe your vertex commands from the console to the renderer.

vOv posted:

!! in bash expands to the previous command, and history -p means 'perform history expansion on this string', so history -p '!!' will evaluate to the last command. the escaping of the !s is unnecessary because they won't get expanded inside single quotes, but if they were in double quotes you'd need it to keep them from being expanded before the alias gets defined
neat, thanks!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

KoRMaK posted:

salt and wipe down scrub is ideal after say, high heat meat applications - searing a steak or something

if you use the cast iron for something with liquid in it or sauce or something splattery, yeah, wash it - i'd personally shy away from dish soap unless it's super bad but running hot water and a scotch-brite or other similar plastic scrubby alone should be fine

the end goal is two fold - one to not allow rust to form via step two, never wash off the seasoning, like would happen in a dishwasher. You don't want to run a cast iron through a dishwasher.

But careful washing in sink by hand is occasionally necessary and good.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Sniep posted:

salt and wipe down scrub is ideal after say, high heat meat applications - searing a steak or something

if you use the cast iron for something with liquid in it or sauce or something splattery, yeah, wash it - i'd personally shy away from dish soap unless it's super bad but running hot water and a scotch-brite or other similar plastic scrubby alone should be fine

the end goal is two fold - one to not allow rust to form via step two, never wash off the seasoning, like would happen in a dishwasher. You don't want to run a cast iron through a dishwasher.

But careful washing in sink by hand is occasionally necessary and good.

another decent way to clean it is to light scrub any poo poo off of it in the sink, put some water in it, boil it on the stove then scrub it again in the sink. if the water in the pan is clean and not oily looking, youre fine. basically the original way to clean one of these

if you're really anal or dont have a good seasoning on it, give it a lil wipe down with some high temp oil

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

DiggityDoink posted:

give it a lil wipe down with some high temp oil

this is basic cast iron maintenance 101 - you should be having some form of oil at high temp spread all around at least weekly if you're using it a lot, i mean, make sure there's some sort of lucubration in there

not that you dont know, but just for any others

you want to have your cast irons live in a very light cast of oils

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yes ensure that your cooking utensils are constantly smeared with oil that will go rancid and accumulate other filth

have some dignity and choose to live in a clean environment for yourself and others

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
not quoting a stymie to tell him hes a loving idiot who obviously doesnt understand what the gently caress hes talking about

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DiggityDoink posted:

not quoting a stymie to tell him hes a loving idiot who obviously doesnt understand what the gently caress hes talking about

you're one of those types that doesn't bathe regularly, aren't you?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Stymie posted:

you're one of those types that doesn't bathe regularly, aren't you?

you do realize that a very light coating of oil on iron stops it from rusting right? not that you should take a blob of your mothers rear end fat and rub it around and that good quality oil wont get rancid before you use your pan again. if it does, maybe you should clean it like i said before you loving retard

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Hi it's me, guy who doesn't understand that actually iron that isn't in stainless steel, can rust, because all my pans to date have been ikea $6 specials, says you're the guy who doesnt bathe regularly

pram
Jun 10, 2001

DiggityDoink posted:

you do realize that a very light coating of oil on iron stops it from rusting right? not that you should take a blob of your mothers rear end fat and rub it around and that good quality oil wont get rancid before you use your pan again. if it does, maybe you should clean it like i said before you loving retard

now youve gone and done it laddy

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
goddamnit i quoted a stymie and now i know why i shouldnt have, hes the perfect antagonist

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DiggityDoink posted:

yep, i can already hear you boasting about how you only bathe every other day because doing it every day is "dries out your skin" or other such nonsense

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you know what's another thing that keeps a pan from rusting?

cleaning it properly

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

What are the

Stretch goals

xD

http://i.imgur.com/BsiHH51l.jpg

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:chloe:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I CANT HELP IT

Stymie posted:

cleaning it properly

:bang:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

this is basic cast iron maintenance 101 - you should be having some form of oil at high temp spread all around at least weekly if you're using it a lot, i mean, make sure there's some sort of lucubration in there

not that you dont know, but just for any others

you want to have your cast irons live in a very light cast of oils

sword maintenance works the same way

scrub the gore off but make sure to oil it for storage

eazy peazy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

crip eatin :wtc:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

i regret my joke now

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Stymie posted:

cleaning it properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

potting compound

keeps the wires from shaking loose (transformers can vibrate a lot due to changing magnetic fields) and also increases resistance/high voltage protection

cheers

KoRMaK posted:

ill never be able to hear a how its made without chuckling about plumbus

tube amps aren't bad audiophile stuff, like monster cables. their musician stuff. i dont like my expensive all digital pedals as much as a nice tube.

tubes are good in power stages for guitar amps coz overdriving them sounds good
idk why you'd want that for sound reproduction

• Locked thread