Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Puppet Master posted:

You sound like such a likable person

look at that loving loser with his house, and his loving family. he doesn't even make as much as me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

well?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

a happy snowman posted:

Eh, I'm 46, I saw a whole generation right after me get caught in the Boomer trap of 'do what you love' and got into huge debt. The problem is, that was a workable thing before the MBA assholes hadn't started turning the screws on everyone, and that time is long gone. Lots of PhDs in History and Literature staring down a lifetime of student loans.

IMO don't make 'something you love' your career. That love will get crushed out of it day by stressful, annoying day. You eventually won't want to do it at all outside your job, so you'll have sacrificed the thing you love on the altar of paying rent.

Instead find something you like, you're generally better at than most, enjoy doing, and can happily forget about after 5pm. Make that your career. Life gets so goddamn easy when you can take it or leave it; you make decisions more clearly when your self-worth and self-expression isn't on the line with every setback or bad decision. Your judgment of the jobs you take will then change to 'well this gig is lucrative but longer hours and higher stress, this one is nice but has a long commute, this one will lead me in a totally different way which could suck or be awesome'.

Make the thing you love your hobby. You can happily have fun no matter how good you are at it, because you're not in competition with peers for money. You can become world class, or just plod along sucking rear end, it doesn't matter. It's the pressure release valve. If you become SO GOOD at it that it naturally supersedes the 'decent day gig' then all the better.

/serious post

Oblig link: Millennials want nice poo poo but don't want to work for it

Wow such wisdom. Truly only able to be discovered and understood by an old.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Same but massive black dildo flapping onto an ipad

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Puppet Master posted:

You sound like such a likable person

It's just an anecdotal example of how the system we were promised would work a certain way didn't. A lot of my friends make more than me but also work more in less - stable environments.

Talking with my older family members and most of them still have this idea that the working conditions are just the same as when they were my age. It's great because their advice always amounts to, "pounding the pavement and make sure you demand to speak to a manager."
Sure, Pop Pop, I'm sure that will help me land a different government gig.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
me on th eother hand i never bleieved a single thing this lying society told me

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
must be nice to be good enough at something you merely like to make a living-wage and career out of it and then having a separate thing that you love that you can make your hobby and have time for both.

that is lovely advice because it applies to virtually nobody.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

thathonkey posted:

must be nice to be good enough at something you merely like to make a living-wage and career out of it and then having a separate thing that you love that you can make your hobby and have time for both.

yea I went to college to develop my passion into a productive skillset. Now Im working in my field and I love what I do even if it sometimes means compromising my initial vision for any given project, in pursuit of a more successful final product.

I still have other hobbies but I find a way to bring my understanding of those hobbies into my day job. aka I consider myself well rounded and resourceful. suck it you old fogies.

to be clear, Im a graphic designer

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

thathonkey posted:

actually it applies to a lot of people, just not depressive mopers

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

thathonkey posted:

It must be really depressing to have only one skill. What is that like?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

thathonkey posted:

that is what i am doing with my life ??

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Toadvine posted:

yea I went to college to develop my passion into a productive skillset. Now Im working in my field and I love what I do even if it sometimes means compromising my initial vision for any given project, in pursuit of a more successful final product.

I still have other hobbies but I find a way to bring my understanding of those hobbies into my day job. aka I consider myself well rounded and resourceful. suck it you old fogies.

to be clear, Im a graphic designer

the perfect end, to a bad post

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
you konw what? i thought about it some more and maybe i was wrong to criticize the advice. but can yall give some examples of the two unrelated skills yall have; one that you like and have a career in and another that you love and are a hobbyist of.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Don't do it it's a trap

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's not i'm genuinely curious to see what some of them are. im guessing a lot of them are something art related that the person loves and then something a little more mundane that they like enough to have a good job doing

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i don't feel so good about this...

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

is suicide an option at this point??

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

nice t ry

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
3-4 people in a row were adamant that it's common but nobody gave any examples. makes a skeptical man wonder.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Olds are Coke, millennial are New Coke

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

thathonkey posted:

3-4 people in a row were adamant that it's common but nobody gave any examples. makes a skeptical man wonder.

a skeptical man wonders by default

what would be impressive is if it made a credulous man wonder

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

thathonkey posted:

I work in healthcare and like waht I do and I collect/dj vinyl which I like a lot.

e: like cmon dude its not that hard to imagine someone w a job they dont hate as well as a hobby they enjoy

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

nomadologique posted:

a skeptical man wonders by default

what would be impressive is if it made a credulous man wonder

i'm not sure i like your tone

*opens jacket to show that i've got a piece*

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

thathonkey posted:

No, you're just boring as gently caress and can't imagine someone having interests that aren't related to one another.

Why would anyone engage with you? You're either out of touch with reality, or attempting to troll.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

so you would say you are a pugnacious man?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

No, you're just boring as gently caress and can't imagine someone having interests that aren't related to one another.

Why would anyone engage with you? You're either out of touch with reality, or attempting to troll.

neither; i was just being a lovely jerk for no reason and i am sorry for it. it's actually good advice. sometimes i make bad posts on GBS.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

that's ok man we're here for you.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

normally when someone says i am a bad poster i just laugh but the other day i got a little upset tbh.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

like the dude didn't just say you're a bad poster he started to go into details and poo poo and i got really uncomfortable. crossed a line.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

nomadologique posted:

normally when someone says i am a bad poster i just laugh but the other day i got a little upset tbh.

Whenever I get called a bad poster, I like to treat myself to a 5 dollar footlong.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's also that i have a job doing something i enjoy a lot right now that i'd probably do as a hobby if not for the job (well I kind of do it as a hobby in that I teach classes on the subject in my spare time which I enjoy too, it's related but different enough to not feel like work so maybe I just proved myself wronger). and yet work still sucks and is a grind like 95% of the time. are you saying that if i got a job doing something i'd never do as a hobby work would still suck and be a grind 95% of the time or would it go all the way up to 100% of the time?

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 9, 2015

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

it's also that i have a job doing something i enjoy a lot right now that i'd probably do as a hobby if not for the job (well I kind of do it as a hobby in that I teach classes on the subject in my spare time which I enjoy too so maybe I just proved myself wronger). and yet work still sucks and is a grind like 95% of the time. are you saying that if i got a job doing something i'd never do as a hobby work would still suck and be a grind 95% of the time or would it go all the way up to 100% of the time?

He is saying that people should absolutely not major in liberal arts.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i majored in liberal arts and turned out gay ymmv

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
"Gays" are just millennials trying to make themselves into snowflakes

Proof: I caught my nephew wearing a dress once and he looked terrible in it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

nomadologique posted:

like the dude didn't just say you're a bad poster he started to go into details and poo poo and i got really uncomfortable. crossed a line.

i don't think you're a bad poster. yet.

everyone turns eventually. poo poo. believe it or not i myself used to post well.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

his only crime was looking bad

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

thathonkey posted:

i don't think you're a bad poster. yet.

everyone turns eventually.

we all have our days.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8V1EZNI8A

Everything about this video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Him and Uli should hook up

Oh god I got to the end, his car has a rat rod style shifter (it's a nissan)

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread