Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GORDON posted:

Funny, I am binge-watching Community for the first time because they made fun of it in the Unity episode. I wanted to get the joke.

I'm in season 4. Pearce Hawthorne is the jerkiest character since Joffrey Baratheon.

Yeah honestly I enjoy some old school Chevy Chase but for whatever reason he is just the biggest loving dick in Community. Like I get that that's his character but it just was never fun or entertaining to me. Oh boy here's Pierce to be a dick again, probably some tired joke about Blacks or Gays or something. ha. so funny. Oh and now they've gotta waste time redeeming his character slightly so he's a huge dick but not quite full-on dick. I seriously don't care. Get back to the funny stuff.

I'm really glad he got dropped for whatever reason.

Baronjutter posted:

As much as I love the show I've heard Harmon and Roiland are both raving libertarians of some stripe. Which makes sense that the main character is an insane libertarian intergalactic free-man-on-the-spacetime and his arch nemisis is the very concept of an organized government which he's willing to murder countless of it's police and civilians if they get in the way of his right to be a space criminal.

Ugh, I really don't want to think about Rick as a Soverign Citizen but... he kinda is yeah.

At least when he turned himself in to the cops, he just accepted his fate. He didn't try to argue some bullshit legalese to get himself out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My "SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT" ringtone went off on my commute home from work yesterday and I had two people comment on it. :frogc00l:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Ugh, I really don't want to think about Rick as a Soverign Citizen but... he kinda is yeah.

At least when he turned himself in to the cops, he just accepted his fate. He didn't try to argue some bullshit legalese to get himself out of it.

.... meaning that he's not a Sovereign Citizen at all, because believing that they can argue their way out of a legal jam by (insert a list of stupid things here, with each item being stupider than the last) is literally the one thing that makes Sovereign Citizens what they are.

Rick doesn't believe that people are fully independent of government and that laws only apply to people if those people consent to it, either willingly or by being tricked. He understands who is in charge and fights against it. No legal-ish arguments, no creative interpretations of tiny sections and misquotes of eons-old laws that no longer apply to anything: he fights against the government using violence. He understands why the government considers him a terrorist. Rick despises the government, but unlike a sovereign citizen, he concedes that it has authority. (Again, that's the very thing he rallies against.)

Freedom fighters and terrorists are not the same thing as freemen on the land. Saying that they are is an insult to terrorists.

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:

Johnny Truant posted:

My "SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT" ringtone went off on my commute home from work yesterday and I had two people comment on it. :frogc00l:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tarlibone posted:

.... meaning that he's not a Sovereign Citizen at all, because believing that they can argue their way out of a legal jam by (insert a list of stupid things here, with each item being stupider than the last) is literally the one thing that makes Sovereign Citizens what they are.

Rick doesn't believe that people are fully independent of government and that laws only apply to people if those people consent to it, either willingly or by being tricked. He understands who is in charge and fights against it. No legal-ish arguments, no creative interpretations of tiny sections and misquotes of eons-old laws that no longer apply to anything: he fights against the government using violence. He understands why the government considers him a terrorist. Rick despises the government, but unlike a sovereign citizen, he concedes that it has authority. (Again, that's the very thing he rallies against.)

Freedom fighters and terrorists are not the same thing as freemen on the land. Saying that they are is an insult to terrorists.

Yeah fair enough. That's why I said kinda, but yeah more not.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah honestly I enjoy some old school Chevy Chase but for whatever reason he is just the biggest loving dick in Community. Like I get that that's his character but it just was never fun or entertaining to me. Oh boy here's Pierce to be a dick again, probably some tired joke about Blacks or Gays or something. ha. so funny. Oh and now they've gotta waste time redeeming his character slightly so he's a huge dick but not quite full-on dick. I seriously don't care. Get back to the funny stuff.

In fairness, Chevy Chase hated that too. He got so pissed off at it one day that he said they might as well have his character just say "friend of the family". Then they fired Chevy Chase for saying "friend of the family".

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

rydiafan posted:

In fairness, Chevy Chase hated that too. He got so pissed off at it one day that he said they might as well have his character just say "friend of the family". Then they fired Chevy Chase for saying "friend of the family".

Then Harmon yelled at him on Twitter for seven hours.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Curious/Explorer Cosby sounds a lot like Mr Meeseeks.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So I just finished the second season.

They're kidding, right? About the year and a half?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ha.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

WarpedNaba posted:

or more!!!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
6 months to write, ~9 months to animate (they can finish animating the later episodes as it starts to run) and a couple of months for promotion and preparation.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I'm glad they included that little meta bit at the end of season 2. After the first season ended, a couple of my friends would drat near constantly ask me when new Rick and Morty was coming out, and I'd have to patiently explain that it'd take a year or longer.
It takes a while to come up with great crazy plots. It takes a while for the art teams to crank out those awesome eye candy designs. It takes even longer to actually to combine those factors and get everything animated. If they wanted, they probably could rush it and have new episodes out quicker, but I'm sure the quality of everything about the show would take a HUGE dip, and I doubt even the most impatient R&M fan wants that.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Not trying to disagree, but why doesn't it take Fox's animated series that long? Or Southpark (although obviously easier to animate)?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

three posted:

Not trying to disagree, but why doesn't it take Fox's animated series that long? Or Southpark (although obviously easier to animate)?

Fox's animated series are on a sweatshop (both figurative and literal) work schedule where they're in constant, constant production, some aspect of every show that airs in the animation domination block (especially in regards to The Simpsons) is being worked on year-round

That's how they get turnarounds that quickly, because the instant the writers are done with a 22-episode season of The Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad/etc they turn around and start writing the next season with virtually no breaks, and that's not even counting the insane schedule the artists and animators are on

The biggest difference between every other animated TV show and South Park is time spent in animation, considering a South Park episode can and is animated within the space of a couple of days

But they also do wildly different stuff in their writing methodology than every other show, animated or not, does that allows them ludicrously quick production turnarounds, mostly dealing with how the writers on South Park are basically in constant crunch and pull incredibly weird and hazardous hours, led by Matt and Trey who often rewrite whole sections of scripts during voice sessions

The production of South Park is very interesting, nightmarish, and singular, and if you're interested theres a netflix documentary called 6 days to air that covers the production of a single episode of South Park from conception to finished product. But, essentially, the reason they can have such quick turnarounds is due entirely to the fact that their animation pipeline is unbelievably fast and everything else following natural from that increased speed

In contrast the FOX animation teams just work everyone involved in making the show(s) like dogs, there's zero downtime at any real point for anyone involved in those shows' productions

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah when questioned on it they said it'll be more like a year.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

three posted:

Harmon is also notorious for late scripts. There's a good chance they hit 15 months though.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Tiny Riiiiiick!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Toxxupation posted:

In contrast the FOX animation teams just work everyone involved in making the show(s) like dogs, there's zero downtime at any real point for anyone involved in those shows' productions

I expect that the Family Guy voice actors don't have to pull crazy hours, and even Macfarlane has enough time to do other movies or shows. For sure the writing and animation teams are busy as hell though. The voice actors in Simpsons and Family guy definitely get the best slice of the pie though with pretty massive paychecks per episode while working a fraction of the time that the animators and writers do.

Basically, for the normal VA's it's a 40 hour work week for a shorter period of time, and for just about everyone else on the shows it's probably more in the 60-80 range for most of the year. Macfarlane is the outlier because across all his stuff he has to be working like a madman.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

MacFarlane has very little to do with Family Guy or American Dad anymore, not for years.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I remember hearing a thing a long time ago that the Simpsons VAs actually have a kind of bullshit contract that was negotiated back in the 80s/early 90s and don't even get royalties.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, they weren't even in the credits for a long time.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol at asking how fox can churn it out so quickly compared to rick and morty.

Have you seen the shows they make? Simpsons is dead. Bobs burgers is good, but its not as out there as r&m so I think its probably easier to write for and animate since the locations are all pretty reusable and that it takes place on earth with normal earth stuff.

Just, compare the quality, there's your answer.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The primary Simpsons VAs all make like $400K per episode. They're not having trouble paying their mortgages.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The simpsons has been on so long. Can they at least reuse all the old backgrounds and stuff. How many times do you have to draw the same couch in the same room?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

The primary Simpsons VAs all make like $400K per episode. They're not having trouble paying their mortgages.

Yeah, and they sometimes literally phone in their lines. I don't feel any sympathy for whatever "contract woes" they complain about.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, and they sometimes literally phone in their lines. I don't feel any sympathy for whatever "contract woes" they complain about.

Bart Simpson's voice actress, for one, got the award from scientology which basically means "gave $20 million to the church all in one package" . If she can just throw that much away on the right to shake hands with David Miscavige and get a dumb plaque, I imagine she's rolling in it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Johnny Truant posted:

yeah? was it in Virginia?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I finally got around to watching my first episode this weekend. This is the absolute best show on TV. It hits on so many levels. Holy poo poo.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Rick doesn't seem to have a problem with the concept of government (at least on Earth). It's only when government tries to get in his way or otherwise bother him (Galactic Feds). Basically, leave him alone and your fine. The Galactic Feds seem like they are after Rick not just for the terrorism, but for his science gear (at the Birdman wedding, they tried to secure his portal gun, presumably to study it). Maybe this whole terrorism started because the Feds tried to kidnap Rick to steal his gear. After all, Rick's partner in crime Birdperson doesn't seem to be the type to destroy stuff for the hell of it, unlike Rick. I'm guessing we will learn more next season, especially since Earth is now Galactic Fed (or, at least this Earth is).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I think they wanted to confiscate the portal gun mainly to keep him from escaping. With that gun, he's in the wind immediately. Without it, they have him, as long as they can keep him from commandeering a catering space-van, and seriously, what were the odds on that happening?

But they might be after him partially for his knowledge and equipment. The G-Fed seems to be pretty powerful, but they clearly haven't mastered inter-dimensional travel, at least not to the level that Rick has. And Ricks keep Morties around for camouflage, and they're not necessarily hiding from the Council of Ricks all the time. (Hell, most of the Ricks are part of that council.) It's probably the G-Fed they're hiding from.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

three posted:

It does take that long, you just don't notice it. Most of them have a staff of writers so they're writing the next season while the current season is airing. As soon as an episode is done being written, it gets handed off to the animation team. These smaller shows take longer because there's bottlenecks are some point, ie. Harmon turning in scripts late, McCulloch & Hammer doing everything themselves, etc.

Dr_Amazing posted:

The simpsons has been on so long. Can they at least reuse all the old backgrounds and stuff. How many times do you have to draw the same couch in the same room?

In the commentaries for some of the golden seasons of the seasons they point out the scenes they pulled from another episode and redubbed. Now that it's all digital it's probably easy to just reuse parts, I know they have a people gun to automatically draw crowds.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Toxxupation posted:

[stuff about cartoon production]

I enjoyed reading this; it was informative. :thumbsup:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

tarlibone posted:

But they might be after him partially for his knowledge and equipment. The G-Fed seems to be pretty powerful, but they clearly haven't mastered inter-dimensional travel, at least not to the level that Rick has. And Ricks keep Morties around for camouflage, and they're not necessarily hiding from the Council of Ricks all the time. (Hell, most of the Ricks are part of that council.) It's probably the G-Fed they're hiding from.

In Close Rick-Counters, Rick does say "You wanted to be safe from the government, so you became a stupid government." We have to assume that the Galactic Federation exists in some form in most realities, but that makes sense to me.

We also know they have at least elementary knowledge of Portals since Rick and Morty use a stationary one to get back to Earth in the pilot, but I'm not sure if they mention whether or not they're in another dimension or just another galaxy within their dimension. So, assuming that the G-Fed doesn't know how to travel or communicate between dimensions like the Ricks' do, it makes sense for them to chase after Rick for his Tech since it means being able to coordinate your forces across multiple dimensions. I mean, the Council of Ricks was pretty formidable and it was just made up of one guy from across multiple dimensions. If you had one government across multiple dimensions, your influence could only stand to grow from it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tarlibone posted:

This just seemed like a given to me. Ricks use Morties to hide from the G-Fed, but its not enough to hide from other Ricks.

I guess they could be hiding from space pirates or whatever too, but I'm pretty sure that the G-Fed was the implication.

In general Ricks don't have to hide from the Council of Ricks. Even though C-137 Rick disapproves of the Council, and they know where he lives, they live in relative harmony. Its only when Ricks start getting murdered that they investigate him, and even then he just gives himself over to them because he knows he can trust them to not gently caress him up over nothing. And they mention knowing other Ricks who disprove of the Council too like the Artist formerly known as Rick, and seem cool with him.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ahem the Scientist Formally Known as Rick

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Toxxupation posted:

Fox's animated series are on a sweatshop (both figurative and literal) work schedule where they're in constant, constant production, some aspect of every show that airs in the animation domination block (especially in regards to The Simpsons) is being worked on year-round

That's how they get turnarounds that quickly, because the instant the writers are done with a 22-episode season of The Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad/etc they turn around and start writing the next season with virtually no breaks, and that's not even counting the insane schedule the artists and animators are on

The biggest difference between every other animated TV show and South Park is time spent in animation, considering a South Park episode can and is animated within the space of a couple of days

But they also do wildly different stuff in their writing methodology than every other show, animated or not, does that allows them ludicrously quick production turnarounds, mostly dealing with how the writers on South Park are basically in constant crunch and pull incredibly weird and hazardous hours, led by Matt and Trey who often rewrite whole sections of scripts during voice sessions

The production of South Park is very interesting, nightmarish, and singular, and if you're interested theres a netflix documentary called 6 days to air that covers the production of a single episode of South Park from conception to finished product. But, essentially, the reason they can have such quick turnarounds is due entirely to the fact that their animation pipeline is unbelievably fast and everything else following natural from that increased speed

6 Days to Air is worth watching if you're interested in the processes of animation, television production, or just any process at all. I would seriously show it to any team trying to implement a new and faster workflow in any industry.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SwissCM posted:

MacFarlane has very little to do with Family Guy or American Dad anymore, not for years.

Besides the obvious, of course.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

tarlibone posted:

I think they wanted to confiscate the portal gun mainly to keep him from escaping. With that gun, he's in the wind immediately. Without it, they have him, as long as they can keep him from commandeering a catering space-van, and seriously, what were the odds on that happening?

Tammy That Birdperson-murdering bitch specifically told the insect troopers to confiscate the gun but not to damage it because they wanted to study it. Then it blew up in her rear end rear end assin' rear end face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

AlternateNu posted:

Then it blew up in her rear end rear end assin' rear end face.

I, too, wonder why Rick didn't just make a gun which turns peoples' faces into butts and use it to kick rear end with.

• Locked thread