Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bucketmouse posted:

This stuff's been around since at least the early 90s and every gas station in Northern California seems to stock it. No idea who buys it given that it runs about the same price as an actual bag of jerky. Maybe it's a stop-dipping aid?

Probably stuff like candy cigarettes and Big League Chew. Give kids some alternative to the real stuff so they can learn how to use it before being old enough to buy it or acquiring a friend old enough to buy it for them. It's kind of like training wheels for bad habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Probably stuff like candy cigarettes and Big League Chew. Give kids some alternative to the real stuff so they can learn how to use it before being old enough to buy it or acquiring a friend old enough to buy it for them. It's kind of like training wheels for bad habits.

Big league chew was expressly developed by a baseball player as a tobacco alternative.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

foobardog posted:

In the US, it's important to remember that tobacco companies got forced into a very strict advertising ban, and pretty much were limited to magazines and in store posters. It's advertising, but very limited as the Internet and TV hold much more sway.
Tobacco companies can still advertise in magazines and shops in America?

I remember when I was a kid I'd see cigarette ads in supermarkets. There was one that always annoyed me, which were these plain posters that just said "...anyhow, have a Winfield 25's." I figured out that they were cigarette ads, but I still don't understand the grammar. That "25's" on the end - why?

What always strikes me about these is how out-of-place the cigarettes and packs look, like they've been lazily photoshopped in.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I remember when I was a kid I'd see cigarette ads in supermarkets. There was one that always annoyed me, which were these plain posters that just said "...anyhow, have a Winfield 25's." I figured out that they were cigarette ads, but I still don't understand the grammar. That "25's" on the end - why?

What always strikes me about these is how out-of-place the cigarettes and packs look, like they've been lazily photoshopped in.

The numbers at the end referred to length of the tobacco rod by mm.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Tobacco and beer? Man, Bedrock was seedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZGaLlLfcY

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
As awful as tobacco marketing is, I think it's worth noting that The Flintsones was a primetime sitcom for adults and it didn't really become hugely popular with kids until later.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Bit late to the party, but tobacco chewing in the dumb moves in marketing thread!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr9QG-ctphA
Here's a music video advertising a jug for you to spit your tobacco in to. It's not really a dumb move in marketing because it seems immensely well liked by the target audience, judging by the comments.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahahahahaha Paul Stanley saying he doesn't do drugs. Dude you were in KISS.
In KISS's heyday, Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were the guys who did all the drugs and threw the TVs out of hotel room windows and stuff like that. Paul and especially Gene Simmons (who loves to tell everyone how he's never tried drugs, alcohol or tobacco and is therefore a better person than you) stayed away from that kind of thing and just hosed a bunch of groupies like responsible adults.

Anyway, even if you are a horrible drug-abusing monster, Gene Simmons won't judge you too hard if you buy a KISS Kasket from him when your lifestyle inevitably catches up to you (well, if you did buy one 15 years ago, now you're just hosed):

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 08:28 on Nov 9, 2015

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

"Not being like Gene Simmons" is really good motivation for me to try drugs

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sinking Ship posted:

As someone who lives in the Southern US I can assure you guys that chewing tobacco is huge around here, advertising tends to tie it to manly hunter bullshit but I think most people use it because you can't smoke indoors but you can chew.

Personally I don't understand why the biggest most popular nicotine delivery systems are also just absolutely laced with carcinogens, like why don't they just make a product with nicotine that *gasp* doesn't kill people? Like what possible added benefit is there to having a product that kills your consumers. Like is tobacco just too entrenched at this point to ever give ground and change their 'recipe'? I don't understand.

I was skimming so I'm sorry if this was already answered, but the carcinogens are actually a big part of why they're so addictive. They actually add more carcinogens to cigarettes to make them even more addictive.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bryan convinced one of my friends to (attempt to) quit. so there's that..

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Regrettable posted:

I was skimming so I'm sorry if this was already answered, but the carcinogens are actually a big part of why they're so addictive. They actually add more carcinogens to cigarettes to make them even more addictive.

I don't think this is true.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

bunnielab posted:

I don't think this is true.

I buy it. Same reason meat is so tasty. Turns out that cancer is delicious.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Regrettable posted:

Nicotine is the only addictive chemical in tobacco. The carcinogens are combustion products, of the leaf itself or, yes, of whatever various additives they've put in for flavor, burn characteristics, or who knows what.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I buy it. Same reason meat is so tasty. Turns out that cancer is delicious.

I mean eating pussy can give you cancer so at this point I just assume anything fun will get you somehow.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tiggum posted:

Tobacco and Alcohol companies can advertise in magazines as long as the publisher can prove that a majority of the people who buy the magazine are above the legal age to purchase tobacco or alcohol.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kizudarake posted:

The numbers at the end referred to length of the tobacco rod by mm.
How many cigarettes are in the packet. At the time it focused on the 25's because it was FIVE MORE than common packets.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Slugnoid posted:

Bryan convinced one of my friends to (attempt to) quit. so there's that..

Wow, where do you live? Canada? :canada:

Regrettable posted:

Commonly held myth. Not really true.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Ugh, so Hulu has been having commercials for milk. The generally gist of them is that you should drink milk and not almond milk. Ok, fine. One product telling you to not use the other product. Par for the course.

But my god, they are just annoying. The first one I saw mentioned that regular milk has more protein than almond milk. The argument they used was that you'd have to drink more almond milk to get the same amount of protein, so you'd have to pee more. Yeah. The second commercial had kids at a spelling bee. The first kid had to spell some scientific word for some ingredient in almond milk. The kid fails. The next kid has to spell milk. He succeeds. See? You should drink milk because its only ingredient is milk and you totally can spell milk! Almond milk has scary sounding science ingredients! Only drink things that you can spell cause you, the person viewing this commercial, are a loving moron!

I've never had almond milk before. I've never had the urge before. Now I do.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Totbot posted:

Ugh, so Hulu has been having commercials for milk. The generally gist of them is that you should drink milk and not almond milk. Ok, fine. One product telling you to not use the other product. Par for the course.

But my god, they are just annoying. The first one I saw mentioned that regular milk has more protein than almond milk. The argument they used was that you'd have to drink more almond milk to get the same amount of protein, so you'd have to pee more. Yeah. The second commercial had kids at a spelling bee. The first kid had to spell some scientific word for some ingredient in almond milk. The kid fails. The next kid has to spell milk. He succeeds. See? You should drink milk because its only ingredient is milk and you totally can spell milk! Almond milk has scary sounding science ingredients! Only drink things that you can spell cause you, the person viewing this commercial, are a loving moron!

Milk has lactic acid in it, and lactose. Acids are bad, and lactose sounds like a chemical to me so I think we should boycott milk.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Totbot posted:

Lewis Black had the best counter for Almond Milk I think, in his attack on Soy Milk.

"Its not Soy Milk! There's no Soy Titty is there!? No! So its SOY JUICE. Except every time you say 'soy juice' you throw up a little bit."

"Almond Juice" isn't nearly as appetizing. But "Cow-titty-milk" is also kinda nasty if it wasn't so much a part of our culture :cheeky:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Almond milk is loving awesome, tastes great and doesn't give me runny, disgusting shits.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Croccers posted:

How many cigarettes are in the packet. At the time it focused on the 25's because it was FIVE MORE than common packets.

That's not what the numbers meant in the US. Marlboro 100s weren't half a carton of smokes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kizudarake posted:

That's not what the numbers meant in the US. Marlboro 100s weren't half a carton of smokes.

Dude what are you trying to say. No cigarette has ever been made that's only 25mm short. You're right that 100s are 100mm long, but he's ALSO right that 25s were a pack of 25 cigarettes.

Enough dude. Winfield 25's were not 25mm. That'd be insanely short.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude what are you trying to say. No cigarette has ever been made that's only 25mm short. You're right that 100s are 100mm long, but he's ALSO right that 25s were a pack of 25 cigarettes.

Enough dude. Winfield 25's were not 25mm. That'd be insanely short.

I was operating under the assumption that you were talking about American cigarettes, and answering the question based on what I knew. Don't be a dick, guy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kizudarake posted:

I was operating under the assumption that you were talking about American cigarettes, and answering the question based on what I knew. Don't be a dick, guy.

No cigarette is 25mm short dude. Use the context clues. Think about it. They range from 70mm to 120mm. So a number like 20 or 25 must mean something else.

Honestly I think you're being a bit of a dick. He informed you that you were wrong and you countered with "well that's not what the numbers mean in America!" like that changes anything. Even in America 20 smokes is 20 smokes. You're being willfully ignorant.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

kizudarake posted:

Zaphod42 posted:

No cigarette is 25mm short dude. Use the context clues. Think about it. They range from 70mm to 120mm. So a number like 20 or 25 must mean something else.

Honestly I think you're being a bit of a dick. He informed you that you were wrong and you countered with "well that's not what the numbers mean in America!" like that changes anything. Even in America 20 smokes is 20 smokes. You're being willfully ignorant.

You're both right. Marlboro 72, 80 & 100 refer to the length, but the 25's were for the amount in the packet.

Ricbax
Mar 29, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

There was a game shop that opened in England about 2 years ago called "Grainger Games". Let's just say their PR could have used a little work:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2011/10/how-an-unknown-games-retailer-committed-suicide-at-a-gaming-awards-event/

They still survived a a shop somehow. I bought a few games there myself :P

This is more like dumb moves in games journalism. Grainger Games has actually been around for about 20 years, they know exactly what they're doing with their deliberately tacky branding and promotion, and they have opened more stores since this article was written.

If you live in a dead end town in the North of England e.g. Blyth, Jarrow or Hartlepool, Grainger Games is pretty much your first port of call for new and used games. The people who buy games in these stores don't know, or give a poo poo, about what happens at glitzy media events in London.

The journo even makes a reference to Jarvis Cocker mooning Michael Jackson, yet he doesn't understand why that resonated with people, because he (and most of the people at the games event) were on "Jacko"'s side.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Totbot posted:

Then you should watch the almond milk commercials with smug almond acting indignant about people who dare to drink milk.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Totbot posted:

It does not replace real milk, but is amazing as it's own thing. Especially the premixed expresso almond milk, that poo poo is like candy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My wife and I switched exclusively to Almond Milk. Owns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You're right that 100s are 100mm long, but he's ALSO right that 25s were a pack of 25 cigarettes.

darkwasthenight posted:

You're both right. Marlboro 72, 80 & 100 refer to the length, but the 25's were for the amount in the packet.

I know, I already posted that. It wasn't even me. It was kizudarake and Croccers who were both right, and I was just trying to point that out to kizudarake and he just wasn't getting it. :doh:

E: Whatever this took way too long.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Nov 9, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Andorra posted:

Then you should watch the almond milk commercials with smug almond acting indignant about people who dare to drink milk.

Yea, those ads are also annoying. As are the V8 ads. Woman popping her husband in the head over and over "you could have had a v8!" and he says "but I don't like V8" and she gives him some half fruit, half vegetable V8 and he suddenly likes it, even though the vegetables in the alternative are the ones with the overpowering taste. So instead of tomato juice you get tomato juice with a slight orange taste.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I know, I already posted that. It wasn't even me. It was kizudarake and Croccers who were both right, and I was just trying to point that out to kizudarake and he just wasn't getting it. :doh:

E: Whatever this took way too long.

I got it, and I acknowledged it, I just didn't say it to your specific beep bop parameters. Sorry your comprehension circuits need an upgrade, fella.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, those ads are also annoying. As are the V8 ads. Woman popping her husband in the head over and over "you could have had a v8!" and he says "but I don't like V8" and she gives him some half fruit, half vegetable V8 and he suddenly likes it, even though the vegetables in the alternative are the ones with the overpowering taste. So instead of tomato juice you get tomato juice with a slight orange taste.

Who buys or drinks V8 anyway? I needed some for a soup base, and a 6 pack (smallest quantity available!) was $7. A giant quart can of the store brand stuff was like $1.50.

For some reason they still always offer it on planes :shrug:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I'll have it every once in a while, like yoohoo. They just have unique flavor that sometimes you really want

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Who buys or drinks V8 anyway? I needed some for a soup base, and a 6 pack (smallest quantity available!) was $7. A giant quart can of the store brand stuff was like $1.50.

Bloody Marys

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CerealCrunch posted:

Bloody Marys

I recommend the spicy V8 then. Loads better tasting. The zing of all the spice totally overrides the weird bland aftertaste regular V8 has. And I say that as someone that loves tomatoes.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Spicy V8 with some horseradish, worcestershire/soy sauce, garlic and some Tobasco/Frank's RedHot mixed in makes a great marinade for meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

canyoneer posted:

The flight environment (noise, reduced atmospheric pressure, etc.) deadens sweet taste sensation but leaves umami sensation pretty much alone. So they're going to serve you things that taste better at altitude.