Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Harime Nui posted:

You've not lived til your players have killed a session melting random silverware they found in a dungeon over their weapons to make the blades good against "werewolves and vampires and poo poo"

I hope you then threw a bunch of Loupgarou at them. And also some Garou's named Lou for good measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Raenir Salazar posted:

Now you've got me thinking of how practical it would be to make a sword with removeable blades that can be swapped easily. Like a bayonet for you sword.

In The Last Witchhunter they did something cool where a button on the hilt releases some kind of chemical down the groove of the blade which ignites when exposed to air, which gives you a quick flaming weapon

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Harime Nui posted:

You've not lived til your players have killed a session melting random silverware they found in a dungeon over their weapons to make the blades good against "werewolves and vampires and poo poo"

At least your players bothered doing that, I had one outright using a silver spoon as a weapon because that was the only silverware he got.

It worked, though the spoon broke. The wonders of muscle implants.

Same group also had a character fill a hula-hoop with water and salt and wore it with suspensories, because vampires are not supposed to cross running water and salt is good against spirits, right?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ZearothK posted:

At least your players bothered doing that, I had one outright using a silver spoon as a weapon because that was the only silverware he got.

It worked, though the spoon broke. The wonders of muscle implants.

Same group also had a character fill a hula-hoop with water and salt and wore it with suspensories, because vampires are not supposed to cross running water and salt is good against spirits, right?

Would that actually count as running water? Wouldn't you have to have something to pump it around in a circle in the hula-hoop?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Slime posted:

Would that actually count as running water? Wouldn't you have to have something to pump it around in a circle in the hula-hoop?

Hulaing would cause the water to slosh around it, good enough.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Carrasco posted:

That doesn't seem very practical compared to just having a bunch of swords, because if you lose the hilt all you have is a bunch of sharp pieces of metal.

Clearly the solution is to have something like Dak'kon's sword from Planescape Torment, where the blade itself is amorphous.

Well then there's Cloud Strife's sword from the movie:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The real way to deal with vampires is to summon a water elemental, stick the vampire inside it, and have it run around.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
I'd summon a garlic elemental myself.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Lord_Ventnor posted:

I'd summon a garlic elemental myself.

A Ranch Dressing elemental will work in a pinch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cabbit posted:

A system being 'good' or 'bad' is like the last possible thing on the list of obstacles to enjoying your game night. All that matters is that it's the system that you and your friends want to play. Anything else is being the elfgame equivalent of a music snob.

People howling on about the sublime mechanical purity of 4th edition and failing to comprehend why people might actually continue to enjoy their own particular brand of elfgames is what put me off of 4th edition until it was as dead as the dodo. Which is a shame because it was, in fact, a good game!

Edition warring is dumb as poo poo.

I wasn't even referring to 4th, I was referring to things that aren't D&D period. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wasn't even referring to 4th, I was referring to things that aren't D&D period. :v:

Other games? You mean like 40k, right?

:thejoke:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Cliff Racer posted:

That feels a bit too much like "power of friendship" type stuff and as far as I can see thats not something Rich has ever put much stock in. Durkon might still play a hand in the vampire's defeat but I don't think he's going to claw out of his shackles and defeat it on his own.
Intense emotion can be a powerful game changer (see Roy's recent Hulk episode or Haley snapping out of speaking gibberish), but it requires a special trigger.

Durkon discovering the truth about his father's death would qualify, I think.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 8, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I'll never understand why some people get so flustered by the idea that people still play and enjoy 3.5 and Pathfinder.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's basically the monopoly argument.

(or in my case they're trapped in a crew that doesn't play anything but pathfinder and the only way out is death)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rygar201 posted:

I'll never understand why some people get so flustered by the idea that people still play and enjoy 3.5 and Pathfinder.

because they are objectively bad, just like all the other games

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Rygar201 posted:

Because they're playing the wrong elfgames! Instead of 3.5, they should be playing true quality elfgames:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

sebmojo posted:

By which he means "I don't care that you enjoy it or are able to play this game and have great experiences, the arbitrary list of "game design" rules I've made up in my head make it "objectively" inferior to whatever game I like, so you are wrong for enjoying something that I do not." :rolleyes:

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

sebmojo posted:

"3.5 is the worst form of government, except for all the rest."
--Winston Churchill

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

jng2058 posted:

By which he means "I don't care that you enjoy it or are able to play this game and have great experiences, the arbitrary list of "game design" rules I've made up in my head make it "objectively" inferior to whatever game I like, so you are wrong for enjoying something that I do not." :rolleyes:

There are some base essential principles to game design. Media discussion doesn't always devolve down to "well that's just like your opinion man" because it's convenient for your self-identity.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, a question from someone who doesn't play D&D regarding something that got brought up.

Just what exactly is Turn Undead?

I've played games and read some stuff that mentioned it but I never really understood what it was.

My initial thought was that it literally turned you undead so you were, I dunno, immune to their attacks. Then I found out that it's like an attack of some sort which confused me even further, so I assumed that it turned undead into just dead.

Is it supposed to be Turn Undead (away) or Turn (into) Undead or Turn Undead (dead) or something else?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh, a question from someone who doesn't play D&D regarding something that got brought up.

I've played games and read some stuff that mentioned it but I never really understood what it was.

My initial thought was that it literally turned you undead so you were, I dunno, immune to their attacks. Then I found out that it's like an attack of some sort which confused me even further, so I assumed that it turned undead into just dead.

Is it supposed to be Turn Undead (away) or Turn (into) Undead or Turn Undead (dead) or something else?

turn them away, i guess

it's the stereotypical PRIEST HOLDS THE CROSS BEFORE THE ABOMINATION AND IT COWERS sort of scene. Mechanically it's something priests and paladins can do a few times a day, and is very effective against lower level undead like zombies (Durkon would obliterate a dozen ghouls at a pop, maybe?), less so against ones like vampires (he could make it cover for a few rounds or run away, maybe?). It's always been a fairly elaborate part of the rules for some reason.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 9, 2015

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

When you're a Good cleric, and you Turn Undead, you throw a check against any nearby undead. Anything you hit has to run from you for a minute. A round of turns is six seconds, so that's ten turns, or basically a whole fight. If you've got twice as many levels as a thing you Turn, it instead just melts on the spot.

Evil clerics get Rebuke Undead instead, which actually takes control of anything you succeed against. Neutrals generally get to pick their favorite.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So it's like a wide-range exorcism field that has a chance to turn things away so hard it kills them.

Kay kay.

Thanks for the information.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It is supposed to be the same thing that happens in lovely Dracula stories where you show the vampire a cross and they are like "aw, hell naw!" and turns tail and leaves. Same with Mumm-Ras and mirrors.

If a priest is way stronger that the undead then their holy symbol is so holy that it totally blows away the undead with its awesomeness and they disintegrate in awe. In the case of high level evil priests their unholy symbols are like undead catnip and they can control them instead. Neutral priests can make them dance.

It's all very technical and stuff.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
"Avert, foul ghoul" etc.

This is how the 1e AD&D rulebook describes it:
"Another important attribute of the cleric is the ability to turn away (or actually command into service) the undead and less powerful demons or devils."

The fluffiest description is probably from 2e A&D:
"Through the priest or paladin, the deity manifests a portion of its power, terrifying evil, undead creatures or blasting them right out of existence. However, since the power must be channelled through a mortal vessel, success is not always assured."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

trucutru posted:

It is supposed to be the same thing that happens in lovely Dracula stories where you show the vampire a cross and they are like "aw, hell naw!" and turns tail and leaves. Same with Mumm-Ras and mirrors.

If a priest is way stronger that the undead then their holy symbol is so holy that it totally blows away the undead with its awesomeness and they disintegrate in awe. In the case of high level evil priests their unholy symbols are like undead catnip and they can control them instead. Neutral priests can make them dance.

It's all very technical and stuff.

A ha ha what.

That is pretty trippy.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
This is what I hate about this thread. A panel is posted, we discuss it. There are some great insights.

Then a few of you hang around at the party, like guests who won't go home and pretend we really care about the underlying RPG and your absolutist opinion of the rule sets. Play what you like, none of us care. We enjoy the story of OOTS, not what you think of 3.5, 4, 5, White Wolf, Pathfinder, or other rules. If your GM forces you to play a rule set you don't like find another table. In all honesty Roll20 runs all day and night, and you can find a game even if you live in Antartica.

Rich uses pretty generic rules, and follows them until they are in the way of the story, then he discards them like a good story teller should.

I sure hope Rich is okay so we can go back to the comic.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wasn't there some hilariously broken divine metamagic stuff that used Turn Undead uses as fuel? Or am I remembering?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Wittgen posted:

Wasn't there some hilariously broken divine metamagic stuff that used Turn Undead uses as fuel? Or am I remembering?

Well, over in the Murphy's Rule thread there's been an ongoing discussion about the applications of skeleton - based calculating. I only sort of understand what they're talking about.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kruller posted:

A Ranch Dressing elemental will work in a pinch.

A ranch dressing elementals isn't very dangerous directly, but her milk is lethal.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
What always confused me about "Turn Undead" is how good of an action is that, really? Sure, the undead are no longer attacking the cleric and his or her party, but now they've scattered to eat other, innocent folk who don't have the protection of a Cleric.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

What always confused me about "Turn Undead" is how good of an action is that, really? Sure, the undead are no longer attacking the cleric and his or her party, but now they've scattered to eat other, innocent folk who don't have the protection of a Cleric.
I'm not an expert but I suppose you either minmax it as strong as possible or ignore it really. You're usually between the undead and the people you want to protect and it only takes them a minute to walk back to you anyway. Usually far less because of obstacles such as walls or fences if you're outdoors.

But I think you mostly don't use it because unless you kill or take control it's more effective to just attack or cast a spell instead.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Turn Undead has its uses, like getting zombies or skeletons to back away from a fallen comrade so they don't kill him before you can heal him, or clearing out quickly low-level undead bodyguards so that the fighters can charge at their boss, etc. It's crowd control for things that, individually, are not much of threat.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
There was a feat that let you burn a bunch of turn undead/destroy undead/rebuke undead attempts to persist (or otherwise metamagic) any divine spells (otherwise) for free, and a class that let you convert turn undead attempts 1:1 for swift actions. Yeah, that got pretty silly pretty fast.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

Most of the time you're in a dungeon so they just run off to wherever. Early D&D was about getting treasure, heroics were incidental.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Allstone posted:

There was a feat that let you burn a bunch of turn undead/destroy undead/rebuke undead attempts to persist (or otherwise metamagic) any divine spells (otherwise) for free, and a class that let you convert turn undead attempts 1:1 for swift actions. Yeah, that got pretty silly pretty fast.

What made this particularly silly was that there was a relatively cheap magic item that just gave a flat bonus to the number of turn undead uses you got every day. It was also a slotless magic item so you could have as many of them as you wanted. So a cleric could wake up in the morning, cast all their buff spells and make them last 24 hours and then throw nothing but maximized/empowered spells all day.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lt. Danger posted:

There are some base essential principles to game design. Media discussion doesn't always devolve down to "well that's just like your opinion man" because it's convenient for your self-identity.

Then he should mention them so they can be discussed properly, rather than just crapping out "it's objectively bad" then walking away. Because without some basis for analysis that IS just opinion.

Just like yours.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Turn Undead is occasionally useful, but most people just use it to power feats. Especially paladins, who get a stunted version of the already niche class feature. [Divine] feats allow you to expend a use of Turn Undead for some benefit, such as a significant if boring boost to damage, immunity to ability drain, ability damage and energy drain, or the aforementioned Divine Metamagic. [Domain] feats give you a special ability 1/day, such as swift action movement for a minute, flight, or the ability to create a double of yourself. You can expend (usually 2 or 3) uses of Turn Undead for an additional use of the feat.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Heatwizard posted:

When you're a Good cleric, and you Turn Undead, you throw a check against any nearby undead. Anything you hit has to run from you for a minute. A round of turns is six seconds, so that's ten turns, or basically a whole fight. If you've got twice as many levels as a thing you Turn, it instead just melts on the spot.

Evil clerics get Rebuke Undead instead, which actually takes control of anything you succeed against. Neutrals generally get to pick their favorite.

Minor nitpick, but Rebuking Undead merely makes the undead cower from your majesty and your command over Negative Energy, effectively doing the exact same thing as Turning Undead. It's when you're twice as powerful as the undead that Good clerics outright destroy them and Evil clerics command undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also after they've been fleeing for ten round they are ten rounds of movement away from you