Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

But does red Get Down?

I submit that it does, in fact, at least contribute to getting down.

Love the new amahd avatar/gimmick combo. You can tell us all about gettin down now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Secret Spoon posted:

I submit that it does, in fact, at least contribute to getting down.

Love the new amahd avatar/gimmick combo. You can tell us all about gettin down now.

Dunno about reds, but a good brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The last bottle of red wine I drank was a bad experience.

I stole it from my father. Couldn't finish it. Threw up after one glass. And trashed the rest in a dumpster cause I pushed the cork in the bottle.

I paid him back for the bottle.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Dunno about reds, but a good brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

But you can not blame the wang.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Well that's a legit cool av/title thingy!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

A Man and his dog posted:

The last bottle of red wine I drank was a bad experience.

I stole it from my father. Couldn't finish it. Threw up after one glass. And trashed the rest in a dumpster cause I pushed the cork in the bottle.

I paid him back for the bottle.

Did you give him cash or did you just buy him a 20 pack of nuggets?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Secret Spoon posted:

Jesus that's a bottle of opus one at a decent price. Could have had carter too :(.

Yeah -- it was much more than I expected (and to be fair I was the one who said "just do it" and got the bill after); I'm sure I could've just gotten 20yr and it wouldve been as fine. I always just think in terms of karma -- not five years ago I was deep in the poo poo as a sous, and now I make more than double that with half the work, I get to go drink krug and dom and the like in the city before having an awesome meal; I'm still way behind in karma.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah -- it was much more than I expected (and to be fair I was the one who said "just do it" and got the bill after); I'm sure I could've just gotten 20yr and it wouldve been as fine. I always just think in terms of karma -- not five years ago I was deep in the poo poo as a sous, and now I make more than double that with half the work, I get to go drink krug and dom and the like in the city before having an awesome meal; I'm still way behind in karma.

Yeah man, this is a familiar tale. Also, glad you are free!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Don't waste money on Pappy. It's not even very good.

The higher end Michters, Black Maple Hill (if you can find an old bottle, not the new poo poo in the new package,) Old Forester Birthday or the old Smooth Ambler are all far superior for less than $100 a shot.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Why everyone isn't drinking WT I'll never understand. Though wife got me a bottle of Old Forester 1897 and that was so drat good.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, the Bottled in Bond is tasty, but the yearly release of Birthday Bourbon is my favorite part of the year.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

JawKnee posted:

terribly whiny because even though they're doing their jobs they should expect to be required to do more?

You gonna cry to the labour board about needing to work a 9 hour shift instead of a 4?

Cuz mine do.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
do they need to?

or do you need them to?

the difference is important

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Don't waste money on Pappy. It's not even very good.

The higher end Michters, Black Maple Hill (if you can find an old bottle, not the new poo poo in the new package,) Old Forester Birthday or the old Smooth Ambler are all far superior for less than $100 a shot.

What happened to Black Maple Hill? It was my standby "nice bourbon" but then one day it was gone, then back months later for like $100 a bottle, then gone again?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay question time: do any of you have bartenders who somehow don't notice tickets printing out? I mean the sound alone could wake me from the grave, but...

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
When it dies on the beach it dies.

2 tables tonight. Least we close in an hour.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

Okay question time: do any of you have bartenders who somehow don't notice tickets printing out? I mean the sound alone could wake me from the grave, but...

Our bar staff is usually on top of things, occasionally they'll be talking to a bar customer or something away form the printer and not notice immediately, but only when it's fairly slow. To be fair it's a sports bar and you can't hear yourself think once we hit even 30% capacity.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

depends on the printer. My hearing is pretty terrible and I made up for this by reading lips, but I had to condition myself to periodically look at the printer as I could not ever hear it printing.

I suspect the raised and continuous level of background noise (music, conversation) out on the floor also contributed to this though.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

bunnielab posted:

What happened to Black Maple Hill? It was my standby "nice bourbon" but then one day it was gone, then back months later for like $100 a bottle, then gone again?

Black Maple Hill (which Ive had the old stuff, also I have all the Michters on my shelf, me buying pappy is just as much a work thing (since I distribute it) as it is for me, but I digress) was basically just one dude from SF who would connect with distilleries, buy barrels from them, and have it labeled as BMH. Back in the day, before pappy was a thing, he hooked up with the Van Winkles (and others in Kentucky) to get some really nice poo poo. Then at some point the relationship with KBD (Kentucky bourbon distillers) dissolved, and he had to go somewhere else to find his Black Maple Hill. That somewhere else ended up being Oregon, which, while I haven't had it, everyone says is really poo poo, like barely drinkable and not remotely the same thing as the old stuff. Sooooo if you can find a bottle that says Kentucky Bourbon, woo, if it says Oregon Bourbon, poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I didn't think you could call it bourbon in America if it wasn't from Kentucky.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I still remember paying a coworker to pick me up a handle of Kentucky's Finest when I was in high school. Still one of the top ten worst decisions of my life.

My mom's husband introduced me to Woodford Reserve, I'm far from a connoisseur but I enjoy it, especially the double-oaked.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

I'm on 6 days again this week and if I spend 85 or less hours in the kitchen I'm going to feel very accomplished.

If I can find the time I try to shove 4 to 5 cliff bars and some family meal in my face over the course of the day since I do nothing in between shifts but sleep, shower, and crush oj.

Anyone have recommendations on decent/healthy meal replacements that I can get down with?

If you suggest soylent you can go gently caress yourself.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Protein shakes and fruit smoothies can fill in some gaps with protein and vitamins and such, but the "real" answer

Morbid Fiesta posted:

decent healthy meal replacement

...is that every word in this phrase is at odds with every other word. If you're eating something other than a square meal then there's gonna be some sacrifices.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I didn't think you could call it bourbon in America if it wasn't from Kentucky.

1. Made in the US -- most of it is Kentucky but there's the more well known ones like Bowman, Breckenridge, Widow Jane, Hudson Baby Bourbon, and one of my favorite McKenzie (I like all the Finger Lakes stuff)
2. 51% corn
3. new charred oak barrels
4. aged 2 years minimum
5. between 80 and 125 proof (to start)
6. only water may be added (no colors/flavors)

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 9, 2015

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Aging two years is not a CFR requirement, but lets you call it "straight" bourbon (or "straight" rye, etc).

In practice, just about everything labeled bourbon is of the straight kind, but some of the extra-Kentucky upstarts bottle "young bourbon" or whatever.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Doctor's notes are bullshit. Medical information should be private and even with Obama care there are a ton of situations where going to a doctor is just going to cost you money and not get you anything that will help make you better.

Sprained ankle,you'll spend 300 dollars for "ice it,keep it elevated and take ibuprofen"

A bad Cold, "plenty of fluids and vitamin C, aspirin for fever."
why are people going to the docs for sprained ankles and colds?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

bowmore posted:

why are people going to the docs for sprained ankles and colds?

Wasn't that covered in the post? To get a note from the doctor for your dumb boss to actually say "Hmmm, yes, maybe you should stay home if you can't walk or are spreading germs everywhere uncontrollably!"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Turkeybone posted:

Black Maple Hill (which Ive had the old stuff, also I have all the Michters on my shelf, me buying pappy is just as much a work thing (since I distribute it) as it is for me, but I digress) was basically just one dude from SF who would connect with distilleries, buy barrels from them, and have it labeled as BMH. Back in the day, before pappy was a thing, he hooked up with the Van Winkles (and others in Kentucky) to get some really nice poo poo. Then at some point the relationship with KBD (Kentucky bourbon distillers) dissolved, and he had to go somewhere else to find his Black Maple Hill. That somewhere else ended up being Oregon, which, while I haven't had it, everyone says is really poo poo, like barely drinkable and not remotely the same thing as the old stuff. Sooooo if you can find a bottle that says Kentucky Bourbon, woo, if it says Oregon Bourbon, poo.

See this is why I just drink Old Crow, consistent kerosene flavor for 150 years.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Safety Dance posted:

Child molesters?

We keep collecting them. And they keep getting run over.

Basically one got hired, is a decent expo/runner and busser and then got a bunch of his buddies from prison hired too.

And agreed on the "why go to the doc for a cold" thing. Suck that poo poo up and work with it. The only thing that I'd ever give a free pass to is a food borne illness just because that's a food safety issue. A cold is... A cold. Yes they suck but you have to be a baby to think that warrants a day off. From any job, office poo poo with pto included.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

AA is for Quitters posted:

Basically one got hired, is a decent expo/runner and busser and then got a bunch of his buddies from prison hired too.

And agreed on the "why go to the doc for a cold" thing. Suck that poo poo up and work with it. The only thing that I'd ever give a free pass to is a food borne illness just because that's a food safety issue. A cold is... A cold. Yes they suck but you have to be a baby to think that warrants a day off. From any job, office poo poo with pto included.

When people say "the cold" it's generally an umbrella term including the common cold, flu, strep throat and so on, and the only way to really tell which is which is a doctor. Some of those you definitely don't want to risk passing on to customers or your staff. What if you have someone come in with what looks like a cold but is an early stage flu? Their flu rapidly worsens over the course of their shift, as they get worse they spread more and more of the virus via coughing, sneezing and so on, now you have infected other staff members, unknown numbers of customers and so on. It's better to just have them stay home, if it's just a cold they will get better and be back on the job quickly, if it's something worse they will get it treated, but you really don't want it going around your staff if it is something bad.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

gently caress that. You don't take a day off for the cold because you're sick, you take the day off because you're contagious and you don't want to get everyone else sick. If someone wants to tough it out through an injury, that's on them. Anyone who tries to tough it out through a transmittable virus is an rear end in a top hat.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

:lol:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This is so loving stupid bro.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Yes, demanding people who handle food for a living go to work sick is a good and healthy mindset :stare: the hell is wrong with you?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

This is the wrong mindset. Stay your Typhoid Mary rear end at home.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Wasn't that covered in the post? To get a note from the doctor for your dumb boss to actually say "Hmmm, yes, maybe you should stay home if you can't walk or are spreading germs everywhere uncontrollably!"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

It's not like I was saying it was a good policy to require doctors notes for sick leave, in fact it's loving stupid, but if the employer enforces such a policy the employee is sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It is irritating that healthcare is hyphenated.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

We got loving slammed on Saturday. Two servers and a food runner called out, and Chef was with several cooks and two servers at a private catering event, so we were already running on a skeleton crew even before the callouts. I was supposed to be nearing the end of my server training, but a half hour in, one of the managers basically said "You're going to be running food/helping other servers for the rest of the night".

It was a madhouse. Also, one of the bartenders has been an ultra mega oval office to me for some reason ever since I started. I told the server I've been shadowing that I don't think she likes me and he laughed and said something like "Don't worry, she's like that with everyone new", but it doesn't seem like an initiation thing...she just seems like a loving bitch.

Can't wait to actually start taking tables and making some real money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sondheim
Dec 10, 2007
FUCK YOU SANDY

The Midniter posted:

We got loving slammed on Saturday.

Seems to be going around this season. Adequately staffed, my place runs with 10 servers, 8 support staff, and 3 bartenders for an average 380 covers/night.

This past weekend we had 5 servers, 2 bartenders including yours truly, and 5 support staff, and we did 503 covers Saturday night, a number which doesn't include the 10-deep throng of folks who posted up and ate at the bar. At one point a guy asked me to make an old fashioned while service bar tickets were hitting the floor and I said very calmly "The bad news is it'll be about 25 minutes, the good news is if you're willing to wait that long it'll be free!"

We hit 1.5 hour wait times for entrees and 45 minute waits for apps. Flames. Flames on the side of my face. Tonight we've got 250 on the books plus a massive PDR on our mezzanine and I just read two callout emails because people's immune systems go to poo poo when they're being as brutally thrashed as we've been this season.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war, I guess.

• Locked thread