Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Finally got to play with the new Influence system and whatnot, and goddamn the new setup makes Companions hilariously powerful, holy poo poo. Vette is now an unstoppable killing machine, and I'm fine with that.
Also holy poo poo Mad Dash's animation is amazing. :allears:

Yeah. I noticed pretty quick that the companions are super powerful. I put one on damage instead of heal and it killed everything before I could get like two abilities in. I just leave it on heal and even boses don't get my health down. Feels a bit cheap TBH, but it does let me focus on enjoying the storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Enzenx posted:

I'm tooling around in this again but I never really did anything on empire back at launch when I last played. I intend on making one of each basic class to start with. Given that this is a Bioware game the voice acting has a big impact on character enjoyment for me. Which gender generally has better VA work for each of them? This is the only real factor I care about for race/gender combo but feel free to throw out some random suggestions for stuff to try!

They're all quite passable, but a few notable ones:
Male Jedi Knight -- David Hayter (Solid Snake)
Male Consular -- Nolan North (Nathan Drake/pretty much everything)
Female Trooper -- Jennifer Hale (FemShep/Samus/pretty much everything)

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Elblanco posted:

Real quick, if you sub and drop to preferred, does your level cap go up? As in I'd be able to get to level 60 instead of 50?

I didn't see this one answered.

At the moment, from what's been announced, if you go from subbed to preferred, then you have all access to the story content you had when your sub lapsed. If your sub lapsed tomorrow you would still be able to do the current KotFE story, and all your characters would be capped at level 65, but you would be locked out of the newer chapters of KotFE until you subscribe again.

If you play as a preferred player the game will try to nickel and dime you for basic functions. That said, you can get around some of the restrictions of a preferred customer by clicking on a referral link. Here's mine: http://www.swtor.com/r/t3MFsd

Sorry. That's a really unsubtle attempt to get you to click my referral link. But I think I answered your question. And I would appreciate it if you would click on my link.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 9, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, has the GTN always been more or less complete rear end-backwards for certain things? Here are the cheapest costs for crafting a MK8 Aug Kit from the GTN

- Ruusan Synth 10K (need 4)
- Aug Slot MK8 6k (need 10)
- Veda Cloth 743 (need 4)
- Biocell Memory Core 281 (need 4)

So from buying mats from GTN it'll cost 104096 to craft the MK8 aug kit, but they sell for 70-80k depending on people flooding the market for 5k less the the current highest in order to instantly sell out and even pricing it higher then the 3 cheapest options means it sells in seconds. From just Crew missions alone it's got to be 10-20k at the absolute most and half that if you get a critical success.

Styles
Jul 17, 2004

busfahrer posted:

I'm taking the lack of replies to mean that there is no goon guild on EU servers - too bad :(

Hey mate, sorry I didnt see this earlier. I do PVP regularly in ranked and non ranked groups if you would be interested add "Diggernic" on imp and "OptimusRhyme" on reps ToFN server

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Casyl posted:

Once you get high enough level you will never use your basic again. Just get to that point.

Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was hoping for. I like the class's aesthetics but that drat little twirl drives me crazy.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Just note that David Hayter has taken Jedi code to the heart - you won't get Snake family roughness.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GuyUpNorth posted:

Just note that David Hayter has taken Jedi code to the heart - you won't get Snake family roughness.

When I'm playing my Jedi Knight, I just ask myself "What would Captain America do?" -- it works best when you're willing to embrace the boy scout do-gooder in yourself.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Female Agent is Jo Wyatt, also known as Hawke in DA2 and Ciri in the Witcher 3.

Both Inquisitor voice actors have stage musical experience (One or the other of them Tony nominated, even), which means the fact that we don't get a Sith Inquisitor musical number basically criminal.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GuyUpNorth posted:

Yeah, I feel like he's...not very good at that type. Maybe he's better with dark side lines but both of the male Jedi VAs were questionable choices for light side Jedi boring crap. Hayter should've been trooper, north should've been smuggler IMO, those archetypes seem to be their strengths.

Lance reddick would've been an amazing Jedi VA but he probably wanted lots of money or something. They probably didn't even ask him. But I feel like to make Jedi interesting in terms of delivery, they need to have a kind of righteousness behind their voice.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 9, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Right - I've been playing on my own on Jedi Covenant, largely because I didn't want to bother anyone whilst I remembered how the game even worked; I bought the boxed game right at the start, but never really played it again until now. I'm running around playing a Powertech Bounty Hunter, and wondering why there are so many drat buttons. Why do I have so many, many many many, overlapping skills? Single target things of varying damage, multiple AOE's, and what seems to be a WOW Warrior-esque stance system, but doesn't switch my bars when I switch stances?

Am I going crazy, or do I just have to do some outside reading here?

E: I'm probably over worrying because I'm only like, L20, and already seem to be overwhelmed with skills without any context about why to use what.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 9, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

M_Sinistrari posted:

If we're posting referral codes again, here's mine. http://www.swtor.com/r/p2FZFM

I've never done this before so I'm curious to see how it pans out.

Remind me in like a month and a half and I'll use yours. Anyone that doesn't have all 5 referral rewards make sure you say so so the rest of us can prioritize you.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Remind me in like a month and a half and I'll use yours. Anyone that doesn't have all 5 referral rewards make sure you say so so the rest of us can prioritize you.

Here is mine, I don't have any referral rewards

http://www.swtor.com/r/M8GcX6

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I feel like he's...not very good at that type. Maybe he's better with dark side lines but both of the male Jedi VAs were questionable choices for light side Jedi boring crap. Hayter should've been trooper, north should've been smuggler IMO, those archetypes seem to be their strengths.

Lance reddick would've been an amazing Jedi VA but he probably wanted lots of money or something. They probably didn't even ask him. But I feel like to make Jedi interesting in terms of delivery, they need to have a kind of righteousness behind their voice.

I'm not even sure if its that they couldn't do it, but rather the director didn't let them do it. All the Jedi stuff stinks of the prequels, they are so robotic and just flat. Yeah they are do gooders, but there's no passion, no excitement. Hell even in the prequels you had Ewan McGregor trying to do something with the material he was given, Nolan North could've totally been snarky Obi-wan if they let him. The female consular is probably my fav of the Jedi va's, she at least exudes an aura of confidence in herself even if she is stoic. Fem JK on the other hand :negative:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

'There is no passion' is literally part of the Jedi code.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anyone on Jung Ma? I play there with my roommate and I'm getting to the point where I want to start doing things like Hard Modes and Operations. Anyone else around?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fuzz posted:

This is the first time I've posted my referral link, so I'm guessing I don't have the rewards? http://www.swtor.com/r/38xkst

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Aphrodite posted:

Yet somehow characters like Empire Yoda, who's supposed to be one of the greatest Jedi masters of all time, have a ton of personality, express emotions, etc

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yet somehow characters like Empire Yoda, who's supposed to be one of the greatest Jedi masters of all time, have a ton of personality, express emotions, etc

One of the 'best' things about the EU, and certainly in the movies, is how Luke behaves. He finds all the old Jedi code bullshit, reads it, is horrified, and burns it and resolves to never speak of it again and just make up his own way on how to be a Jedi. :colbert:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zombies' Downfall posted:

When did the "Jedi code" come about? EU or prequels?

The Jedi are dumb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eimi posted:

One of the 'best' things about the EU, and certainly in the movies, is how Luke behaves. He finds all the old Jedi code bullshit, reads it, is horrified, and burns it and resolves to never speak of it again and just make up his own way on how to be a Jedi. :colbert:

And then falls to the Dark Side.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to save specific hotbar layouts so I don't have to dick around putting all my abilities back in the slots, when dipping between Bodyguard and Arsenal?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there a way to save specific hotbar layouts so I don't have to dick around putting all my abilities back in the slots, when dipping between Bodyguard and Arsenal?

Nope, and its a highly requested feature. :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

The game takes elements of the prequels that showed how damaged and on the brink of collapse the institutions of the Jedi, Republic etc. and treats them with a straight face as part of a broad setting.

It doesn't make any sense if the Jedi order doesn't get wiped out in the games, or the Republic doesn't become the Empire, because the corruption in the senate, the impossible rules of the Jedi etc. are building blocks of that particular narrative.

A stable Jedi order true to Star Wars message would resemble Luke.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

The Jedi are dumb.

They make decent world-building background art but yeah they're real boring once you spend time with them

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Medullah posted:

The Jedi are dumb.

That's also one of the great things about being a light side inquisitor. Being all "love and compassion are emotions too you fuckwits." While you're channeling lightning into people's spines for being backstabbing asses.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

That's also one of the great things about being a light side inquisitor. Being all "love and compassion are emotions too you fuckwits." While you're channeling lightning into people's spines for being backstabbing asses.

A light side Consular can express similar views, and even at one point note that how dogmatically the Jedi Code is interpreted is something that's varied over the centuries. TOR sees the Jedi in a very conservative phase after the battle of Coruscant and retreat to Tython, but the Consular can point out that there have been times where Jedi were encouraged to marry and have children.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

When I respec I try to just make it so the moves that are being replaced go to the same locations. So for bodyguard to innovative ordinance, progressive scan, rapid scan, kolto missile and kolto shell end up getting replaced with incendiary missile, serrated shot and thermal detonator. The blank spot gets Unload moved to it, and rail shot gets changed automatically to mag shot. Some specs are easier than others but for the most part I only need to move 2-3 things.

Styles
Jul 17, 2004

Where did my throw the huttball keybind go Bioware

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Styles posted:

Where did my throw the huttball keybind go Bioware

With 4.0 a pop up bar will now appear when you get the ball so you don't always have to have it bound.

Styles
Jul 17, 2004

Medullah posted:

With 4.0 a pop up bar will now appear when you get the ball so you don't always have to have it bound.

I know but is there a way I can still bind it. I had it bound and pushed the button and nothing happened than dead :(

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

sassassin posted:

The game takes elements of the prequels that showed how damaged and on the brink of collapse the institutions of the Jedi, Republic etc. and treats them with a straight face as part of a broad setting.

It doesn't make any sense if the Jedi order doesn't get wiped out in the games, or the Republic doesn't become the Empire, because the corruption in the senate, the impossible rules of the Jedi etc. are building blocks of that particular narrative.

A stable Jedi order true to Star Wars message would resemble Luke.

A thing the EU touches on quite often is that, when pressed, the Jedi Order quickly turns into a dictatorship wearing a fig leaf of compassion. During the New Sith Wars they conscripted padawans in infancy, regardless of the opinions of the parents, because they were that desperate for grunts on the ground.

Cythereal posted:

A light side Consular can express similar views, and even at one point note that how dogmatically the Jedi Code is interpreted is something that's varied over the centuries. TOR sees the Jedi in a very conservative phase after the battle of Coruscant and retreat to Tython, but the Consular can point out that there have been times where Jedi were encouraged to marry and have children.

I'm leveling a Consular now and I think I ran into the beginnings of that (Nar Shadda guy talking about how he hosed your master) but my response was more "That's kind of personal and irrelevant also you're literally glowing with evil and mind controlling people."

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah, I like popup bar most of the but I wish you could still bind Throw huttball independently.

You can bind slots of the popup bar, and I assume Throw Huttball will always be the first one there when relevant, so I've bound that to my old Throw Huttball key. But it doesn't feel clean.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Medullah posted:

Nope, and its a highly requested feature. :(

Dammit, guess I'll just have to live with that for a while longer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

I'm leveling a Consular now and I think I ran into the beginnings of that (Nar Shadda guy talking about how he hosed your master) but my response was more "That's kind of personal and irrelevant also you're literally glowing with evil and mind controlling people."

More of it comes out when you get your Padawan. She has trouble with some of the more stereotypically conservative aspects of the Jedi and you can explain that the current dogmatic adherence to the Jedi Code isn't how the Jedi always are. The Consular can suggest that the Code tends to be treated like that during times of crisis when there isn't much time to teach young Jedi about approaching things like relationships with an emotionally healthy mindset and reach out to them when they make mistakes as people inevitably do.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

More of it comes out when you get your Padawan. She has trouble with some of the more stereotypically conservative aspects of the Jedi and you can explain that the current dogmatic adherence to the Jedi Code isn't how the Jedi always are. The Consular can suggest that the Code tends to be treated like that during times of crisis when there isn't much time to teach young Jedi about approaching things like relationships with an emotionally healthy mindset and reach out to them when they make mistakes as people inevitably do.

It's neat that you can do that, but kinda sucks tat they went with the super conservative and boring Jedi. I mean they already did that in Kotor1 and 2, it just contributes to this feeling of I dunno malaise and saps the heroic/good guy aspects of the Jedi. I still can't get over how someone like me who tends to always only like the goody two shoes option in faction stuff or story lines prefers the Empire over the Republic in this game. :psyduck:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

That sounds good, but then there's that quest on Tython where a man is being convinced by a woman that having a relationship is fine, and she's talking like a Seductress, and agreeing with her gives you a bunch of darkside points.

I wish the game had a bit more nuance sometimes.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The EU has ruined a lot of things but none so much as Jedi. That code poo poo is unbearable. Jedi are rooted in real-life Eastern philosophy and I wish the writers had studied up on that stuff. There's such a huge difference between being mindful of your feelings and trying to stamp them out. The philosophy of non-attachment is a pretty widespread idea here on Earth but it doesn't mean you don't care about anyone. It's the opposite, really. It's like Anakin said, you're supposed to love everyone unconditionally. There might have been some lovely dialogue in that movie but that idea is important. Non-attachment is the acknowledgement that loss is a reality we should all be prepared for, emotions are fleeting, and you have to be able to let go of people/places/things and not freak out. It's all underpinned by the idea that all life is fundamentally connected. Distinctions like friend and enemy are ultimately illusions, because we're all one. The life or death of one person has consequences, but it's really a drop in the ocean. It's about having a big-picture perspective. It's not such a crazy concept. I'm not sure how people get it so twisted.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The EU has ruined a lot of things but none so much as Jedi. That code poo poo is unbearable. Jedi are rooted in real-life Eastern philosophy and I wish the writers had studied up on that stuff. There's such a huge difference between being mindful of your feelings and trying to stamp them out. The philosophy of non-attachment is a pretty widespread idea here on Earth but it doesn't mean you don't care about anyone. It's the opposite, really. It's like Anakin said, you're supposed to love everyone unconditionally. There might have been some lovely dialogue in that movie but that idea is important. Non-attachment is the acknowledgement that loss is a reality we should all be prepared for, emotions are fleeting, and you have to be able to let go of people/places/things and not freak out. It's all underpinned by the idea that all life is fundamentally connected. Distinctions like friend and enemy are ultimately illusions, because we're all one. The life or death of one person has consequences, but it's really a drop in the ocean. It's about having a big-picture perspective. It's not such a crazy concept. I'm not sure how people get it so twisted.

Yeah...and also in the samurai as well. Where I think the sign that they either forgot about that or turned from it is when you active the old archives in that heroic mission on Tython and preserving the warrior poet is the dark side choice. There is a great wealth of philosophy to build the Jedi on in a way that makes them very human and appealing. For example, mono no aware which translates into the awareness of the impermanence of existence and is basically things are beautiful because they will fade, so appreciate them while they are here, but be ready to let go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

Yeah...and also in the samurai as well. Where I think the sign that they either forgot about that or turned from it is when you active the old archives in that heroic mission on Tython and preserving the warrior poet is the dark side choice. There is a great wealth of philosophy to build the Jedi on in a way that makes them very human and appealing. For example, mono no aware which translates into the awareness of the impermanence of existence and is basically things are beautiful because they will fade, so appreciate them while they are here, but be ready to let go.

The light-side Consular gets a lot of this in KotFE if you say no at the big choice in Chapter 1. During the subsequent sequence, the Consular keeps going "You have nothing to tempt me with. I love the galaxy and the people within it, but nothing lasts forever. Not me, not you, not my love for Iresso/Nadia (if you're in a romance), not the Republic, not Zakuul, nothing. You keep trying to appeal to my vanity and ego, but I long ago accepted my death."

• Locked thread