Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Blackberry Priv early impressions: This is not a very good phone
Poor camera, battery life, and build: Welcome to Blackberry's first Android phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arse Tehnical posted:

The rear of the Priv is covered in a strange surface that provides great grip, but isn't properly attached to the surface underneath.

first-party grip tape fix

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

Blackberry Priv early impressions: This is not a very good phone
Poor camera, battery life, and build: Welcome to Blackberry's first Android phone.

everything you hated in an android, now in the phone that your boss made you buy

pram
Jun 10, 2001
incredible build quality

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

reminder, this phone costs $950 canadian pesos.

that's over $710 ameros

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

if you have one and you paid for it then there's no saving you

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

Mrs. Simpkins' junior year Waterloo High newspaper team assisted on the latest Blackberry campaign

it looks like some mid-90s toronto design firm that disappeared up a very '90s wired magazine rear end in a top hat got dragged into the present like encino man and has just completely failed to adapt

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

if you have one and you paid for it then there's no saving you

SneakyFrog posted:

I ordered a drat Priv, here in the blackberry thread I confess my shame.

Hope it doesn't suck.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lmao

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
950 dollars lol

should've called it the blackberry privy cause that's where it belongs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Antlerhill posted:

950 dollars lol

should've called it the blackberry privy cause that's where it belongs

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kenny Logins posted:

more like privvy
<:mad:>

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
http://ca.blackberry.com/campaigns/portraits-of-privacy/bryan-adams.html

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

protecting the privacy of people nobody cares about

what is this even a commercial for, i'm so confused

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
"Let me tell you about privacy"

[sells unrelated yet equally undesirable product]

"WE'RE THE ARISTOCRATS BLACKBERRY EXPERIENCE"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm the unreadable overlay text

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i too wish that the album he made 25 years ago was kept private forever

pram
Jun 10, 2001

minivanmegafun posted:

I'm the unreadable overlay text

lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

is bleckbarry committing to maintaining the OS for some firm period of time or are you going to let this poo poo rot after 6 months like every other android oem?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

is bleckbarry committing to maintaining the OS for some firm period of time or are you going to let this poo poo rot after 6 months like every other android oem?

what does your heart tell you?

a) will bby even be around in a year?

b) if no, who else would bother to support it?

c) when has bby bothered to release major updates for any of their other phones?

d) even if they're still around, do you think they're going to be backporting fixes from next years android "poo poo sandwich"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

they were actually good about maintaining security patches on the old BBOS stuff (because it was a tightly controlled OS/hardware) and they could in theory come at android with that angle to get gov/big business contracts to secure revenue since nobody is doing that for real besides apple. I think it really hinges on if they can stay afloat for another year to prove some kind of commitment rather than making GBS threads out a new model every 3 months and moving on

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

that post took more thought than bbry put into this.

the entire phone is "hey people want apps, maybe also a keyboard. ship it."

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

use case for the priv: that one exec who is still using this five year old hateful piece of poo poo phone because he absolutely had to have a physical keyboard

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

use case for the priv: that one exec who is still using this five year old hateful piece of poo poo phone because he absolutely had to have a physical keyboard

lol the droid pro.

i remember josh topolski on the engadget podcast back when it was announced saying that it was going to be his next device b/c he wanted a portrait qwerty phone with an iphone quality screen and camera running anroid. then they reviewed it and even topolski had to admit that it was, as you say, a hateful piece of poo poo

come to think of it, the priv is his ideal phone: portrait slider qwerty running anroid with iphone 3gs quality camera.

god is that guy a smug piece of poo poo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

they have committed to monthly security updates for whatever thats worth

ofc it ships one android version out of date so

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Nelson MandEULA posted:

luckily his career cratered when he got fired from Bloomberg. though I'm sure he's working on some piece of poo poo alternative site right now.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Nelson MandEULA posted:

well, he did write 'pistolwhip'

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

LastInLine posted:

this is what i was talking about earlier. are they going to be backporting fixes from multiple releases ahead in perpetuity? are they just going to start writing their own patches and fixes for vulnerable libraries (lol)?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

this is what i was talking about earlier. are they going to be backporting fixes from multiple releases ahead in perpetuity? are they just going to start writing their own patches and fixes for vulnerable libraries (lol)?

The pattern of late seems to be that they just create a new device and OS when they get buried in bugs and defects that take too much time to fix.

The Playbook had a major issue were if you plugged the micro USB cable in the wrong way it would brick the device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

there is precedence for backporting security fixes as google publishes current security fixes for the lollipop variant of the nexus 6 because att refuses to allow the marshmallow update for their customers

ofc blackberry will be the ones in charge of doing this but from what i can tell the security updates arent touching things that require an os version bump to fix and all of the updates have been in the 2-8mb range so far so i think its mostly replacing a few system files here and there and generating a new checksum for the bootloader to verify against

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

The pattern of late seems to be that they just create a new device and OS when they get buried in bugs and defects that take too much time to fix.

The Playbook had a major issue were if you plugged the micro USB cable in the wrong way it would brick the device.

And if it ran out of battery it would brick the device as well

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

LastInLine posted:

non-contract phones are getting updates straight from google, but contract ones get middlemanned by the carriers and that worries the poo poo out of me

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

non-contract phones are getting updates straight from google, but contract ones get middlemanned by the carriers and that worries the poo poo out of me

are they? google doesnt even handle the updates for their android one poorphones anymore so id like to see something saying that google would handle the software for this device

oems have always done the software for their own devices and this certainly isnt a developer device like the original droid or xoom and its not a gpe device so why would google handle it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bonzo posted:

The pattern of late seems to be that they just create a new device and OS when they get buried in bugs and defects that take too much time to fix. .

i got a free playbook back in the day by being a "developer" (porting some lovely AIR apps) and for at least a year after the playbook's release, devs still had no access to the device's gps, accelerometers, compass, or even the camera

tools not toys

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what a hilariously dated product the playbook is now. remember how one of its main marketing features was "you can access flash websites!!!"?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

you should have waited

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

what a hilariously dated product the playbook is now. remember how one of its main marketing features was "you can access flash websites!!!"?

Sync your email from your phone (no native mail protocols supported)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
did a quick search for "blackberry playbook" on eBay

original MSRP : 16GB was $499, 32GB and 64GB were $599 and $699 respectively

now ? you're lucky to get $50 bucks

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

buttcrackmenace posted:

did a quick search for "blackberry playbook" on eBay

original MSRP : 16GB was $499, 32GB and 64GB were $599 and $699 respectively

now ? you're lucky to get $50 bucks

Employee pricing is $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

that book about the rise and fall of blackberry (losing the signal) had a lot about the playbook and what a shitshow it was. sillyballs gave absolutely no indication to anyone inside rim what it was supposed to be used for or who it was for so his marketing team was literally staring at an empty whiteboard four weeks before launch day

• Locked thread