Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nita
Apr 27, 2008
It's your inability to learn from past mistakes. You are doomed to repeat history forever.
Come on back, we need more goons for the Risa Invasion™

I've been showing pubbies the error of their ways in how they run mirror events:

quote:

[11/9 9:42] Lyra@torlehk: you wont get a reward, for AFKing up there
[11/9 9:43] To Lyra@torlehk: orly?
[11/9 9:45] Lyra@torlehk: ya, maybe we'll fail, without your help.. i feel it coming :p
[11/9 9:45] To Lyra@torlehk: orly?
[11/9 9:46] Lyra@torlehk: let's all pike with Megan guys! let's fail this! :D
[11/9 9:47] Lyra@torlehk: i think that Terran dreadnaught is finally gonna win, this day
[11/9 9:47] cori@cori3: lol
[11/9 9:50] cori@cori3: Megan is covering our backs ;) so no suprise would come that way terrans are naughty that way
[11/9 9:51] Lyra@torlehk: alts can do that?
[11/9 9:52] Lyra@torlehk: gogo Dreadnaught! Bust 'em up!
[11/9 9:52] Megan@Starwars_was_better: lol, why so serious?
[11/9 9:54] Megan@Starwars_was_better: hey look at that, rewards
[11/9 9:54] Megan@Starwars_was_better: cool beans
[11/9 9:54] cori@cori3: lol by all
[11/9 9:54] Lyra@torlehk: neat
[11/9 9:54] Lyra@torlehk: we should all do that

I think I'm starting a new trend!

Nita fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

DancingShade posted:

I like how Xean spelled my account name wrong anyway. Great intel gathering there buddy, let me pat you on the head and give you a banana sticker :v:

Mine too. Must be an old list too, because I've only logged in once in the past year and a half.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
That list is a modified version of a list that pubbies were circulating 4 years ago. It even has the same spelling errors.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Ugh, you can just smell the virginity and MRAness coming off the guy just through the profile.

You think? I kind of read it as being Blood-ninja style crass.

It sort of skewers the idea of how inanely a lot of creeps combine their 'this person is a multiple rape survivor who's now captain of her own starship.' narrative with 'During her down time she lounges around in a bikini'.

I don't know. Maybe he's being a knuckle dragger. But it feels like satire to me.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!
http://adventure-cat.deviantart.com/art/Just-Say-NO-to-trolls-570170450

Was curious to see what was going on with our favorite furry fundie, and saw he uploaded this.

quote:

if they cant find a reason to justify their attack, they will make something up. Kinda tells you where they really stand for justice....they have no base of moral standing, they are trolls pure and simple. Its never too late to quit Dental, just say no! Pull the snakes teeth and it will bite no one ever again! lets give the game back to the players, and leave big brother behind...

(Anti-StarFleet Dental ad)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Furry Fundie if you read this, you are totally correct. In Dental Adam and Steve came before Adam and Eve. Also Lilith and Eve were the cutest couple till they broke up and invented the horror that is heterosexuality. The Bible knows this, but was edited by Satan to tell us the wrong thing. Dental and Butts knows the way and the truth.

I don't actually touch the poop.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Pshaw, what a philistine, thinking dental is modeled after fictional oppressive regimes and not real ones. This is what happens when you live your life according to stuff Shakespeare wrote.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Against better advice, I reinstalled and got back into Dental. Everything is different, and yet the Mark grind is even worse now...

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
I posted catstarsto's anti-dental ad on my twitter account along with a quote of his calling LGBT people disgusting and he responded in less than an hour with: "that's funny coming from a fleet of TROLLS!".

This is his twitter account: https://mobile.twitter.com/awsomemeow

There are some very unchristian tweets where he calls people retards over f1 racing or something dumb.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 9, 2015

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
how grindy is this game now? i don't have time to play a ton but am kinda missing the ship combat for whatever reason. and playing my sexy orion man

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

The grindiest part is probably maxing out your reputations or spec points, but neither are necessary to complete the content if you're looking to play casually.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Pubbies suck.

Had a Mirror Event with a bunch of German Caitans. I am holding down half the map by myself. Notice that the station is going down in health and that I am the only one closing portals. The rest of the team has hosed off to one side of the map and is doing god knows what.

How do I plasma dope? From what I have read I need an embassy console, flow with -threat is preferred, but don't know how many or if I should get the Mk XII or just get a Mk X and upgrade it.

Also, do they every do reruns of the event ships? I have one of the winter event ships (Breen Chel Grett) but am missing the rest.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Why even expend that much energy in a pug? Just go get pizza or something while they explode and get everything wrong.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

RescueFreak posted:

Pubbies suck.

Had a Mirror Event with a bunch of German Caitans. I am holding down half the map by myself. Notice that the station is going down in health and that I am the only one closing portals. The rest of the team has hosed off to one side of the map and is doing god knows what.

How do I plasma dope? From what I have read I need an embassy console, flow with -threat is preferred, but don't know how many or if I should get the Mk XII or just get a Mk X and upgrade it.

Also, do they every do reruns of the event ships? I have one of the winter event ships (Breen Chel Grett) but am missing the rest.

Plasma doping hasn't been a thing for a while. But those embassy consoles can still add a plasma based explosion proc to your energy weapons, so they're not all bad if you need some boosts to science stats in the first place.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

:effort: on rolling with pubs. Never had one go that poorly before.

Guess I won't worry about it, just saw a few builds that claimed they got 5k more dps using them.

RescueFreak fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 10, 2015

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

When it comes to pugs, bring a defiant or a Gal-x or an intel ship or whatever. Cloak, sit above the station, and give 0 fucks.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the embassy consoles are still the best things to stick in science slots, even after several nerfs. You definitely want to get them to MkXIV though (and if possible, to UR or Gold) since the damage the procs do scale up dramatically with the mark and quality of the consoles.

And you're probably better off buying MkX instead of MkXII from the embassy. It costs a tiny bit more dilithium and a few extra tech upgrade items, but it saves you a shitload of fleet credits (which is probably the most annoying part to get) and gives you two extra chances to get that free ~5% quality upgrade proc.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

Can't do Mk X anymore I thought. Last I heard they normalized the embassy gear to MkXII like everything else.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Technical Analysis posted:

Can't do Mk X anymore I thought. Last I heard they normalized the embassy gear to MkXII like everything else.

I still have a Mk X on my failboat :toot: It only occurred to me as a result of these posts that I can upgrade fleet and embassy poo poo with dilithium and credits. Which is cool and easy to fix.

My gear has gotten dramatically better since returning, however, and the process of getting it is... not terrible, really. I dunno, guys, this game seems better now!

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
I wonder how STO was doing while I was gone.

*loads up sto*

*shuts down computer*

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Technical Analysis posted:

It worked when I did it like two weeks ago

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DonDoodles posted:

Why even expend that much energy in a pug? Just go get pizza or something while they explode and get everything wrong.

Over the weekend with the dilithium thing going I ran mirror nearly 40 times in total. This advise is the only way to go. Watch the closed rifts counter in the first few minutes of the event. If the number is more than the ones you've closed, pew pew if you feel like it or let the pubbies finish for you. If the only ones closing are your doing, cloak if you can, find a quiet spot if you can't and fiddle with doffs (do something productive anyway) because there is nothing you can do to change it. There's no point getting all angry or frustrated about it, they don't know any better and the chances of them responding to education attempts is next to zero. If poking fun at them struggling is your thing, knock yourself out but after a few dozen it gets real stale.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Ratzap posted:

Over the weekend with the dilithium thing going I ran mirror nearly 40 times in total. This advise is the only way to go. Watch the closed rifts counter in the first few minutes of the event. If the number is more than the ones you've closed, pew pew if you feel like it or let the pubbies finish for you. If the only ones closing are your doing, cloak if you can, find a quiet spot if you can't and fiddle with doffs (do something productive anyway) because there is nothing you can do to change it. There's no point getting all angry or frustrated about it, they don't know any better and the chances of them responding to education attempts is next to zero. If poking fun at them struggling is your thing, knock yourself out but after a few dozen it gets real stale.

hosed up but true

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've done Mirror Non-Advanced for five days now with a pubbie queue. Four of them we did it easy and got all bonuses without any trouble at all, one of them I was the only person who could fight and it was overwhelmed. Not too bad so far in my anecdotal statistics.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RescueFreak posted:

You used to be able to, but they removed the ability to get the old Tier 5 event ships when they went Tier 6.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!
Submitting for Nbreeki's contest.

Some light scat fetish to round out your evening.

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011
Forgot who it was I was just talking to in chat (lunch break over), but the lifetime sub is only on sale to 200, 100 off.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I just discovered that ships discharged after Admiralty was implemented remain in the roster. Dropping a thousand dil on the Miranda and reclaiming all the low level zen ships they've given away and then sending them out on easy missions has really helped my exp flow.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unguided posted:

I just discovered that ships discharged after Admiralty was implemented remain in the roster. Dropping a thousand dil on the Miranda and reclaiming all the low level zen ships they've given away and then sending them out on easy missions has really helped my exp flow.

Also event ships, from the event reputation store.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Cyntalan posted:

Forgot who it was I was just talking to in chat (lunch break over), but the lifetime sub is only on sale to 200, 100 off.

Don't do this - your stipend will never, ever pay off and the game will be on life support in 8-10 months anyway.

Also, the life bonuses aren't all that good - a couple of deprecated titles that no longer make pubbies upset, a ship you'll never fly, a map you (and no-one else) will ever visit and a bank unlock that could have been obtained after maybe about a week of dil conversion.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Do you still get a stipend, or did they discontinue that?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
500 zen a month.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
There is pretty much zero reason to be subbed to the game after hitting 50 or 60. Though I do recommend subbing for the first month of play. You get some unlocks like account banks, increased inventory space, more boff slots, respec tokens and 500 zen. Sub and cancel but don't spend that 500 zen. Once your sub runs out, use the zen to purchase the EC cap increase. The 500 zen per month you get from being subbed is your only perk. That 500 zen can be made in 3 days of dil/zen farming with 5 characters (which are free).

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011

IPCRESS posted:

Don't do this - your stipend will never, ever pay off and the game will be on life support in 8-10 months anyway.

Also, the life bonuses aren't all that good - a couple of deprecated titles that no longer make pubbies upset, a ship you'll never fly, a map you (and no-one else) will ever visit and a bank unlock that could have been obtained after maybe about a week of dil conversion.

That was my thoughts too. Like, I might have considered it once when they made it $100. But $200? gently caress that.

bubbles depo
Jul 25, 2006

doot doot!

The light of Dear Leader is blinding. But it is also the light of disco's pure love.

(aka goodbye disco sun, hello Wall of D)

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I haven't played this in 2 years and I don't remember a god drat thing. MMOs need to institute a refresher tutorial for returning players.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
PSA for AMD users: Catalyst Beta 15.11 breaks STO on 7950/7970 GPUs and their 280/280X refresh equivalents. 15.10 works fine.

Friend of mine had to uninstall 15.11 after updating for Fallout 4 and reinstalled 15.10 because his framerate in STO went from 60 in and stable to 5-10 and crashing.

Anecdotal evidence, but still something to be aware of.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Kazinsal posted:

PSA for AMD users: Catalyst Beta 15.11 breaks STO on 7950/7970 GPUs and their 280/280X refresh equivalents. 15.10 works fine.

Friend of mine had to uninstall 15.11 after updating for Fallout 4 and reinstalled 15.10 because his framerate in STO went from 60 in and stable to 5-10 and crashing.

Anecdotal evidence, but still something to be aware of.

Imagine reverting your graphics drivers to play STO instead of Fallout 4.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

Imagine reverting your graphics drivers to play STO instead of Fallout 4.

If Fallout shipped with mod tools, I would be adding disco balls to mini-nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Orgophlax posted:

I haven't played this in 2 years and I don't remember a god drat thing. MMOs need to institute a refresher tutorial for returning players.
I believe creating a new character functions similarly. There is a tutorial built into the intro, and you don't have to level that character all the way up.

• Locked thread