Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cingulate posted:

How does it impact on his general cosmic-horror stories? I haven't read Lovecraft in a while, but I don't remember racism actually being especially present in a majority of his stories, considering they often don't feature any humans at all.

Two of his most famous, The Call of Cthulhu and The Shadow Over Innsmouth, are all about dat racism. At The Mountains of Madness is a grey area, depending on how you interpret the relationship between the Elder Things and shoggoths, and The Colour Out of Space (his best work, IMO) is pretty much devoid of it. Lovecraft could write non-racist stuff sometimes - it's not quite as hard to untangle as, say, Robert Howard's stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I maintain that Howard was at least an equal opportunity racist since he seemed to mostly be obsessed with the "savage barbarian" archetype for every race and creed imaginable.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cingulate posted:

Well okay, but that doesn't license defending the author's character doesn't it? Like, would't the most time and energy-saving approach still be to simply knowledge your fave is racist?
Is there a coherent argument here? Does anybody have a claim that work by an actual racist is inherently damaged by that fact?
I'd imagine we'd lose most of Western, and probably general, culture that way, considering most people over history used to be terrible in some way or other.

There really isn't a coherent argument behind "he was a racist so nothing he wrote is of value," no. But at least where I went to university it was a disappointingly common thing to hear, from both students and professors.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

There really isn't a coherent argument behind "he was a racist so nothing he wrote is of value," no. But at least where I went to university it was a disappointingly common thing to hear, from both students and professors.
Hopefully not in subjects where analyzing art was actually the point?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cingulate posted:

Hopefully not in subjects where analyzing art was actually the point?

In the English department :smith:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I think there's a pretty big gulf between this and having a blatant antisemitic caricature as one of the central figures of the novel widely regarded as your masterpiece (Wolsheim in The Great Gatsby).

E: or how On The Road (an autobiographical novel) has a lot of characters based on actual queer people talking about how much they hate fags.

I don't remember the portrayal of Wolfsheim being particularly antisemitic. His Jewishness is mentioned once (mainly to make it obvious that he's based on Arnold Rothstein), and he's shown in a less harsh light than Tom (a racist, snobbish WASP).

He's not even "one of the central figures of the novel"; he's a pretty minor character.

Silver2195 has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Nov 9, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Two of his most famous, The Call of Cthulhu and The Shadow Over Innsmouth, are all about dat racism. At The Mountains of Madness is a grey area, depending on how you interpret the relationship between the Elder Things and shoggoths, and The Colour Out of Space (his best work, IMO) is pretty much devoid of it. Lovecraft could write non-racist stuff sometimes - it's not quite as hard to untangle as, say, Robert Howard's stories.

Yeah he really covered the spectrum from "neutral" to "this man sees the future and what he sees is a horrible hell-world full of slant-eyed yellow people dancing pagan rites"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm not intending to poke the bear or anything but how many Lovecraft stories actually have racist content? I remember the one about the gorilla in the cave but I don't really recall nearly as many parts in his stories as, say, solomon kaine.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

coyo7e posted:

I'm not intending to poke the bear or anything but how many Lovecraft stories actually have racist content? I remember the one about the gorilla in the cave but I don't really recall nearly as many parts in his stories as, say, solomon kaine.

I think Shadow over innsmouth is meant to be a parable about race mixing. That, the infamous cat in "the rats in the wall", the fact that something up there with none elucidan geometries and terrible dragon octopi is that someones ancestor was partially black, the endless endless screeds written by Lovecraft during his lifetime etc.

I can't really comment on the comparison with Solomon Kaine since I don't know that person, but yeah. Lovecraft was crazy racist.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In the Dunwich Horror one of the things that repels the townspeople from the kid is that he's swarthy

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

I remember the one about the gorilla in the cave but I don't really recall nearly as many parts in his stories as, say, solomon kaine.
I read Kane stuff only as a probably sanitized translation when I was a very naive child, are they super racist?

As for Lovecraft's racism, here is Lovecraft vs. Hitler.
There was only one sentence I felt confident in answering, and that was the one where Lovecraft implies he assumes there are some strains of "Jewish blood" that are better than others.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I don't know an absolute number but a while ago I went through and read all his stories, and a bunch of his lesser stories that people don't usually remember (generally because they were boring and repetitive) are really, really racist, like the one I mentioned above with the time traveler seeing the horror of yellow slant-eyed pagan degenerates overtaking New York City.

I wouldn't say the majority were comically racist but certainly a large minority were, and probably a lot more than most people who only read the "good" ones (Colour Out of Space/Call of Cthulhu/Mountains of Madness/Shadow over Inssmouth) realize.

And that's ignoring the whole "the reason he was so great at describing the raw horror of the unknown was probably because he was so xenophobic in the first place" angle that I personally subscribe to.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Test your ability to tell Lovecraft from Hitler.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Missed only one, it's generally easy to tell them apart because Lovecraft tends to be more flowery.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The fact that this quiz somehow ties back to gamergate is just surreal.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

E: or how On The Road (an autobiographical novel) has a lot of characters based on actual queer people talking about how much they hate fags.

In it's defense, I've known plenty of gay guys who've talked about how much they hate people who "act too gay." It wasn't just that they weren't attracted to them, they were basically saying that over the top gays were holding other gays back.

Spoiler: They themselves weren't exactly models of masculinity.

ikanreed posted:

So... they were continuous masculinity instead?
Whoops, fixed.

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Nov 9, 2015

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

MizPiz posted:

In it's defense, I've known plenty of gay guys who've talked about how much they hate people who "act too gay." It wasn't just that they weren't attracted to them, they were basically saying that over the top gays were holding other gays back.

Spoiler: They themselves weren't exactly modals of masculinity.

So... they were continuous masculinity instead?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The giveaway is that if it's complaining about black people, it's Lovecraft, and if it's masturbating over struggle and war, it's Hitler. The ones about Jews could go either way.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Even when racism's not the focus of the story, it seeps in- in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, there's an offhand and pointless reference to a woman's ugliness being due to her having some "Negro blood". It's just completely ingrained in the guy's thinking.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Pope Guilty posted:

Even when racism's not the focus of the story, it seeps in- in The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, there's an offhand and pointless reference to a woman's ugliness being due to her having some "Negro blood". It's just completely ingrained in the guy's thinking.
And yet Ward also features I think the only black characters portrayed as good people in Lovecraft's work, and is pretty straightforward about how the only reason the all of the horrible things were able to happen was because the colonists didn't give a gently caress about if slaves were tortured. The man was racist as hell but parts of CDW just throw me for a loop with that stuff.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
On a happy note, the official HP Lovecraft Facebook page is banning for racism and vitriol in the comments on their post about the WFA change.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
what it is with Reactionary nerds and anime avatars?

https://twitter.com/Keldory20

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Race Realists posted:

Is this a rhetorical question?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Josef bugman posted:

I think Shadow over innsmouth is meant to be a parable about race mixing. That, the infamous cat in "the rats in the wall", the fact that something up there with none elucidan geometries and terrible dragon octopi is that someones ancestor was partially black, the endless endless screeds written by Lovecraft during his lifetime etc.

I can't really comment on the comparison with Solomon Kaine since I don't know that person, but yeah. Lovecraft was crazy racist.

Also, isn't the big reveal in the 'Rats in the Wall' supposed to be that the narrator's ancestors were supposed to be Celtic druids/Morlocks or something?

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Race Realists posted:

You're not the first to ask this question.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

That article has lot of build up to a disappointing conclusion "its because people who have anime avatars probably spend too much time on the internet"

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

article posted:

What a time to be alive.

:goonsay:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

massive spider posted:

That article has lot of build up to a disappointing conclusion "its because people who have anime avatars probably spend too much time on the internet"

That's like, the conclusion my dad would come to.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

massive spider posted:

It's not wrong. Nerds like anime, and neo-fascist losers are nerds, therefore neofascists have anime avatars. Just like LF Maoists, as the article points out

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
For a little while there, society could accept nerds as cool people. I really think neomisogyny in particular, has completely eradicated that notion.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

ikanreed posted:

For a little while there, society could accept nerds as cool people. I really think neomisogyny in particular, has completely eradicated that notion.

Society accepts otherwise-normal people who have nerdy hobbies like reading superhero comics or playing video games. There was never a point where pimply, awkward, socially-stunted recluses were "cool".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I understand why a lot of these jerks would have anime avatars, and not even just like - "ha ha, everyone else has a Random Anime Girl Face, I'll get some random anime girl face too" ones. My real question is how they reconcile this love of the aneems with all this pro-Western pro-white pro-Christianity stuff. Do they consider the Japanese to be honorary whites? Do they consider Japanese animism to be a font of masculine paganist virtue?

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

I understand why a lot of these jerks would have anime avatars, and not even just like - "ha ha, everyone else has a Random Anime Girl Face, I'll get some random anime girl face too" ones. My real question is how they reconcile this love of the aneems with all this pro-Western pro-white pro-Christianity stuff. Do they consider the Japanese to be honorary whites? Do they consider Japanese animism to be a font of masculine paganist virtue?

I'd say the modal view is that East Asians are a superior ( = high IQ) race that hasn't been corrupted by democratic and multicultural Cultural Marxism, but the church they tell everyone to go to is a broad one, so there are a lot of possible views you can have within the broad framework, from "yeah but the White Man has more creativity and bravery than the Asiatic" to "whites are too outbred to stand up for themselves and so doomed" to "whites are My People so that's where my loyalty lies regardless of their characteristics" and so on.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"They're great at making railroads and bouncy anime tittays and therefore we should keep them as a working class"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blastron posted:

Society accepts otherwise-normal people who have nerdy hobbies like reading superhero comics or playing video games. There was never a point where pimply, awkward, socially-stunted recluses were "cool".
I personally have a lot more sympathy for people who have bad skin or suffer from social anxiety than people who have bad taste.

:colbert:

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

"They're great at making railroads and bouncy anime tittays and therefore we should keep them as a working class"
If they hand over their (teenage) women

Oligopsony posted:

I'd say the modal view is that East Asians are a superior ( = high IQ) race that hasn't been corrupted by democratic and multicultural Cultural Marxism, but the church they tell everyone to go to is a broad one, so there are a lot of possible views you can have within the broad framework, from "yeah but the White Man has more creativity and bravery than the Asiatic" to "whites are too outbred to stand up for themselves and so doomed" to "whites are My People so that's where my loyalty lies regardless of their characteristics" and so on.
I assume anime in general is also a fairly reactionary genre?
Just guessing here, I don't watch cartoons.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

I personally have a lot more sympathy for people who have bad skin or suffer from social anxiety than people who have bad taste.

:colbert:
If they hand over their (teenage) women
I assume anime in general is also a fairly reactionary genre?
Just guessing here, I don't watch cartoons.

Anime isn't really a unified genre so you can't really make sweeping statements about it. There's a ton of reactionary backwards attitudes about women in some shows (generally aimed at teen boys) but there's also good hard sci-fi that has none of that (Planetes) and a growing amount of not-lovely queer media that treats gays and transpeople as people instead of weird sexual stand-ins for women.

I mean the majority is definitely terrible and reactionary but not all of it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

divabot posted:

SHUT UP DAMMIT NOBODY WHO IS NOT YOU CARES THE THREAD HAS A TOPIC LET'S GET WITHIN A GODDAMN MILE OF IT

so anyway

Has anyone else read Nick Land's recent-ish horror short, "Phyl-Undhu"?

Themes include:
  • the Pied Piper trope, where technology will seduce your children away
  • a techno-sorta-cult that is Totally-Not-LessWrong
  • Roko-style basilisks
  • including one at the end of everything that the techno-sorta-cult is attempting to immanentise
It makes it plausible that Land has, with “The Dark Enlightenment” and writing entirely in allusion and running the Xenosystems comments section as a salon for fuckwits, been taking the piss this whole time.

Also includes two essays which were clearly the working notes: Abstract Horror Part 1 and Abstract Horror Note 1.

It's a Kindle short, I would only suggest you buy it if you have a strong ethical belief in paying for indie Kindle shorts. I certainly didn't pay for my copy, though it's actually not terrible (certainly vastly superior to HPMoR) and I might if I guilt myself enough.

Re: Land "taking the piss the whole time," this might be partly true, but it doesn't excuse the sadistic undercurrent that runs through basically everything he writes. He's probably too philosophically knowledgeable to believe in Roko's Basilisk, but I doubt that stops him from getting off on the idea of it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Nessus posted:

People say this like it's a new thing for fascists to make common cause with the Japanese.

You can't make an Axis with just one nation! Although you probably could have skipped Italy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Actually common cause is probably the wrong word. I'm sure there are fascist Japanese nerds, but I don't know if they even know Moldbug exists for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
The most reasonable hypothesis is simply crank magnetism. Weeaboos consider anime to be outside of the mainstream (as they define it), and that inclination towards non-mainstream art makes them more inclined to like other non-mainstream things, including politics. This covers not just reactionaries, but leftists as well—hence the much-mocked Tumblr trend of "anime communism".

In fact, this can cover any subcultural identity. Some of them even take advantage of it—the early punk movement deliberately connected radicalism in art with radicalism in politics.