Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tell me about Age of Wonders 3 my men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

tell me about Age of Wonders 3 my men

Its been asked about in this thread before, there's a ton of tiny things to learn but nothing overall too major? I dunno.

Make sure you check out all the race and class combinations and their effects, your race changes your army units but your class gives you a couple of unique units in addition to picking your abilities. Same with choosing your talent abilities or whatever. Experiment but also read up on what they can do. Some race-class combinations synergize much better than others.

It mostly plays like HOMM or the like. Big differences to watch out for are like when using siege on an enemy town, you don't just fight the army garrisoned on the town hex. Any neighboring allied hexes that have armies on them will also join in the battle, but the same is true for your own units. As a result you can get into some huge conflicts that are like 3 armies versus 3 armies, like Total War style where reinforcements show up. So don't siege an enemy tower if they have lots of neighboring armies unless you're ready to fight ALL of them at once.

Higher tier units are generally more powerful, but there are huge exceptions you'll have to pick up. Some factions have some tier 2 units that are more powerful than other faction's tier 3 units, etc.

Lots of magic can be used to great effect, like terraforming your enemy's town's land into some type of terrain that their population hates, causing the town to riot and poo poo.

I dunno its a pretty intuitive game, not too many gotchas. Just play a bunch of games. You might lose but you'll learn something from each game and it'll still be tons of fun.

You know what, just read this: http://aow.triumph.net/beginners-strategy-guide/
Describes the basics and has some example race-class combos at the bottom that work well.

And check out the OP here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532785

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 6, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

African AIDS cum posted:

Thanks. How did you like it? I'm trying to play through all the portable Kirby games .

Not bad. It's a Kirby game, you know what you're getting, and it's GBA so it's not like they had a ton of memory space to work with. There's some pretty cool powers though that I don't think showed up in any other kirby games, including one (probably overpowered) that mimics his moveset in the smash bros. games. The best feature is calling in a gang stomp with your cell phone, the AI kirbys just go bananas it's great.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Anything for Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced? Especially if I wanna play co-op with a friend.

Nohman fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 7, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nohman posted:

Anything for Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced? Especially if I wanna play co-op with a friend.

Stick close to one another so you get conversation prompts. If you're too far away, you won't be able to offer your input on certain topics, you won't get personality points, and you'll miss out on one of the coolest parts of the game: doing back-and-forth opinion dialogue rap battles with your buddy.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

The White Dragon posted:

Stick close to one another so you get conversation prompts. If you're too far away, you won't be able to offer your input on certain topics, you won't get personality points, and you'll miss out on one of the coolest parts of the game: doing back-and-forth opinion dialogue rap battles with your buddy.
Also, do the bit with Evelyn and the star stone at the healer's house quickly; after the following events you'll get a couple of items that let you teleport to each other whenever (including in combat). Very useful with the snail-like move speed in that game.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Anything for LISA?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Count Chocula posted:

Anything for LISA?

Don't play on Painful your first time through.

Don't hoard consumables.

Don't save scum, just accept the consequences and keep moving forward. No matter how much the game beats you into the dirt, you can still persevere.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Can someone bring me up to speed on Soul Hackers please? I'm familiar with the overall series and its basic mechanics but I'd like to make sure I don't set myself up for failure.

e: oh wait, is this the same thing as Devil Summoner 2? I guess there's info on the wiki about that. So, uh, anything more I should know?

Adlai Stevenson fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 9, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I got a question about Valkyria Chronicles. Read the wiki but apart from that - what exactly does leveling my people up do? Stats go up, I assume, but there's an occassional message about a hidden talent or somesuch that I can't really find anywhere - does that mean they get more traits or something?

Oh, and is there any use for engineers other than slowly walking behind my tank and fixing it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

anilEhilated posted:

I got a question about Valkyria Chronicles. Read the wiki but apart from that - what exactly does leveling my people up do? Stats go up, I assume, but there's an occassional message about a hidden talent or somesuch that I can't really find anywhere - does that mean they get more traits or something?

Oh, and is there any use for engineers other than slowly walking behind my tank and fixing it?

Traits affect individual units, and they'll be shown on their profiles. Basically they'll gain perks or debuffs depending on certain situations - some get a damage bonus when they're with a favourite buddy, others might lose accuracy in tall grass due to allergies.

Also yes, Engineers are largely useless.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, at least my suspiciouns in that direction proved correct. So what's the leveling up business about?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Well, at least my suspiciouns in that direction proved correct. So what's the leveling up business about?

It improves their stats, and you get new global orders for getting to a certain level. Most important is level 11, which unlocks a new ability for scouts/shocktroopers/lancers. Scouts should be your priority here, since they get grenade launcher attachments for their guns, which makes them pretty much the best units you have.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gerblyn posted:

It improves their stats, and you get new global orders for getting to a certain level. Most important is level 11, which unlocks a new ability for scouts/shocktroopers/lancers. Scouts should be your priority here, since they get grenade launcher attachments for their guns, which makes them pretty much the best units you have.

Scouts in general are obscenely overpowered. Slap one with the anti-tank or general damage buff Order and a single attack right at the radiator will kill just about any tank.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any advice for singleplayer Starcraft 2? I'm looking for advice that lands somewhere between minmaxing strategies from competitive multiplayer and beginners guides explaining micro and hotkeys.

For example I was having trouble finishing the Terran mission Welcome to the Jungle on hard difficulty until I glanced at a guide that suggested building turrets offensively. There was also step by step instructions but that would have taken the fun out of things. The turret suggestion was enough for me to puzzle out a way to win. More ideas for strategies like that please!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Scouts in general are obscenely overpowered. Slap one with the anti-tank or general damage buff Order and a single attack right at the radiator will kill just about any tank.
That was my impression, yeah. Anyhow, are there any particular recruits that stand out as being better (or worse) than others? I'm in chapter 5 and they really seem interchangeable apart from the three that give extra CP.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

That was my impression, yeah. Anyhow, are there any particular recruits that stand out as being better (or worse) than others? I'm in chapter 5 and they really seem interchangeable apart from the three that give extra CP.
Marina is by far the best sniper, especially with the ultimate accuracy skill she gets later.

Otherwise it’s situational really, you can swap people in and out with no penalty since everyone shares levels based on class, so if you think you need some extra anti-armour take some dudes with tank buster, that sort of thing. Vyse and Aika are really good I think but can't remember why exactly.

also there are one or two guys with a trait like “moody” or something and sometimes they ignore orders completely. I hate them and you should get them killed just to spite them.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Always bring Jann and Largo as your Lancers and have them fight in close proximity. That is all you need :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

anilEhilated posted:

Vyse and Aika are two of the best in their respective classes. Plus they and the Medic are cameos of Skies of Arcadia's protagonists and should never ever leave your squad because of this :allears:.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Vyse and Aika are two of the best in their respective classes. Plus they and the Medic are cameos of Skies of Arcadia's protagonists and should never ever leave your squad because of this :allears:.

This is the truth. Most missions the decisions are pretty simple (take people who like sand onto sand levels, don't take people allergic to the terrain the mission is in, take people who can see at night on dark missions, etc). For the most part though the traits aren't that big a deal, so don't waste too much time worrying about them. Also remember that there are training missions you can do to 'level up' your team between story missions and earn some extra money.

Selane
May 19, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Refilling ammo, disarming mines, repairing damaged sandbag barricades/sniper towers, increased healing over other classes, extra grenades for when you need them, etc.

And tank repair is a pretty important function considering that no one else can do it, and there are certain stages where enemies will pretty much focus fire your tank.

As far as units go, Alicia is the best Scout by far and Marina is the best Sniper by far. For Lancers, anyone with Ultimate Anti-Armor is the best, and Jann has it so you might as well use him since he owns anyway.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anything for The Legend Of Heroes: Trails in the Sky? The first one that is.

Selane
May 19, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Just play the game and enjoy it. Technically almost every sidequest is missable, so if you care too much about it and spend your whole playthrough looking at a walkthrough you might not enjoy it much. I enjoyed my first playthrough by doing what quests I could figure out on my own, and just ignoring the ones that sounded annoying or confusing, or I just didn't feel like doing.

The game does take some time to really hook you, but it's worth sticking with it, I'm still early on in the sequel and it's probably the most enjoyment I've ever gotten from a jrpg. Don't rush and get to know the world and characters and you should have plenty of fun.

By no means am I saying you should skip the sidequests, I just wouldn't obsess over them too much unless not missing stuff is so important to you that you don't mind checking an faq every 3 minutes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PJOmega posted:

The Wiki has literally every tip I could have thought of.

The game does feature a whole bunch of missable collectible stuff you'd have to consult a guide for, but none of it is exceptionally important.

Edit: One tip the wiki is missing:

Shining Poms (this games version of Metal Slime, worth a lot of loot and xp + an achievement for killing one in each chapter) are basically only killable via S-Breaks.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 11, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything for Lost Dimension?

And anything the wiki doesn't cover for Disgaea 4 (Vita version, if it matters)?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ryoshi posted:

Anything for Lost Dimension?

And anything the wiki doesn't cover for Disgaea 4 (Vita version, if it matters)?

In Lost Dimension:

- follow-up attacks are incredibly useful, and incredibly devastating. Make sure more than one team member at a time is near an enemy when you attack, especially powerful enemies that can counterattack. Likewise, don't get swarmed or you're going to get murdered in a single turn.

- You can't get the 'good' ending in a single playthrough, as you need to max out your affinity with every character to do so.

- Diversify who you play through in each battle. One, because you have no idea who's going to be eliminated before the next area, and two because it helps discover who's the traitor in your group.

- Nothing stopping you from replaying levels over and over again to get experience and make certain who the potential traitors on your team are.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Thanks! Is it always one red text per possible traitor on the current team? And is it worth isolating the three red texts members as early as the first floor? Seems like it could potentially take a while but would be doable...

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

anilEhilated posted:

Avoid Herbert and definitely avoid Susie.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Anyone want some Fallout 4 tips I've come across?

-You can store all your junk materials at a workshop to be broken down to component parts as need be
-Pre-War money is considered junk but is still valuable, do NOT do the above unless you're in dire need of its components
-You can sort inventory when transferring stuff based on things like weight, value, damage, etc (sorting by value could help with the above)
-Sprinting in power armor drains the battery quicker, don't do that
-Headgear bonuses are nullified in power armor, so take the helmet off and put your sunglasses on if you're trying to pass a Charisma check or whatever
-Weapon mods you replace go into your inventory, their weight can add up so watch out for that
-You can pause and save during conversations now, save scum away
-The critical hit bonus thing you build up in VATS won't miss, so you can use this to hit something super far away and cripple or kill it with ease
-You can take mods off of guns you find, but I haven't messed with it yet, you might have to craft the base mod first but maybe that's free, if not it's probably cheaper anyway
-You can tag materials you need, so like I tagged copper because I want to wire poo poo up, so now when I look at a lamp that can be broken down for copper there's a little magnifying glass next to its name
-I noticed that my mostly empty fusion core (power armor battery) sold for the same price as a fully charged one, so never let those completely deplete if you can as I suspect an empty is worthless
-There's an auto-save setting where you set a timer (default 10 minutes) and after that time is up the next time you look at your Pipboy and back out of the menu it'll save
-PC specific: Instead of holding V to enter the build menu you can hold the center mouse button/wheel if you want

Edit: VV Holy poo poo, thank you!

Brightman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 11, 2015

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Brightman posted:

The color of your Pip-Boy light is tied to the color you set in the options menu. Try an amber color instead and it won't turn the whole world nuclear green when you turn on your lamp.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Brightman posted:

-You can store all your junk materials at a workshop to be broken down to component parts as need be
-Pre-War money is considered junk but is still valuable, do NOT do the above unless you're in dire need of its components
-You can sort inventory when transferring stuff based on things like weight, value, damage, etc (sorting by value could help with the above)
-Sprinting in power armor drains the battery quicker, don't do that
-Headgear bonuses are nullified in power armor, so take the helmet off and put your sunglasses on if you're trying to pass a Charisma check or whatever
-Weapon mods you replace go into your inventory, their weight can add up so watch out for that
-You can pause and save during conversations now, save scum away
-The critical hit bonus thing you build up in VATS won't miss, so you can use this to hit something super far away and cripple or kill it with ease
-You can take mods off of guns you find, but I haven't messed with it yet, you might have to craft the base mod first but maybe that's free, if not it's probably cheaper anyway
-You can tag materials you need, so like I tagged copper because I want to wire poo poo up, so now when I look at a lamp that can be broken down for copper there's a little magnifying glass next to its name
-I noticed that my mostly empty fusion core (power armor battery) sold for the same price as a fully charged one, so never let those completely deplete if you can as I suspect an empty is worthless
-There's an auto-save setting where you set a timer (default 10 minutes) and after that time is up the next time you look at your Pipboy and back out of the menu it'll save
-PC specific: Instead of holding V to enter the build menu you can hold the center mouse button/wheel if you want

Edit: VV Holy poo poo, thank you!

Here are a few weapon and armor modding tips since I spent a good chunk of time screwing around with it:

-All the Junk you dump into your Workstation counts as fair game for crafting components. It's handy in that your Workstation is essentially a recycling bin, but be careful of putting any expensive Junk (like those pre-war moneys) in there.
-You will need the associated perk if you want to do better than basic mods in any particular branch. Armorer for armor, Blacksmith for melee, Gun Nut for guns, Science! for energy weapons and energized modifications. I believe they're under Strength and Intelligence.
-The Scrapper perk (Intelligence 5) is invaluable for extensive modding. Before taking it, you may as well just sell junk weapons since all you'll get is Steel, Rubber, and Wood, and you can get that by recycling trees and cars and tire piles that are abundant around your neighborhood.
-For a lot of mods, Adhesive is your life's blood. You'll find a bit while scavenging, but only enough for a few mods at a time. Consider tagging it for search so you don't miss any. If you're really thirsty for glue, some traders offer a Delivery of Adhesive for a crazy amount of caps after taking the Local Leader perk. If you're rolling in caps, it can be worth it.
-Armor mods are not transferable between armor types. Raider mods only go with Raider armor, Leather with Leather, Limbs with Limbs, and so on.
-Same with weapon mods. 10mm pistol mods cannot go onto Pipe pistols even if the mods share identical names.
-You CAN, however, snatch a good mod off of a gun/armor piece by replacing the mod with its basic one and then turn around and attach the good mod onto your favorite thing (so long as they were compatible). Or, if you lack a compatible thing, you can still hold onto the mod for later.
-Legendary and Unique weapons are indeed craftable. They're excellent candidates for those harder-to-craft high level mods you've been saving.
-"Outfit" armors (the ones that replace your suit and attached armor pieces) are generally NOT craftable and are generally inferior. You can sell them or hold onto them for fashion, but you can't break them down or build them up. Suits aren't typically craftable either, but come with innate bonuses and are easily swappable without ruining your getup. Your Vault Suit is a notable exception since you can craft it to be powerfully energy and radiation-resistant.

Internet Friend posted:

The color of your Pip-Boy light is tied to the color you set in the options menu. Try an amber color instead and it won't turn the whole world nuclear green when you turn on your lamp.

I went with a tacticool red. Speaking of which, if you're wearing something like a miner's helmet, the light will come from it instead of your Pip-Boy and be whatever default color that headlamp is. You can also mod this, if you like.

im cute fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 11, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In fallout 4, the vegetable paste food you make can be broken down into 5 adhesive. Requires like carrots and another fruit and purified water, but purified water generators automatically fill your workbench with water and vegetables are easy mode.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 11, 2015

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Xander77 posted:

The Wiki has literally every tip I could have thought of.

The game does feature a whole bunch of missable collectible stuff you'd have to consult a guide for, but none of it is exceptionally important.

Edit: One tip the wiki is missing:

Shining Poms (this games version of Metal Slime, worth a lot of loot and xp + an achievement for killing one in each chapter) are basically only killable via S-Breaks.

I bet you asked me to add it 6 months ago and are just reminding me that I haven't added it yet, right?

gently caress ME.

Uh, I mean, I added this tip to the wiki.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Geirskogul posted:

In fallout 4, the vegetable paste food you make can be broken down into 5 adhesive. Requires like carrots and another fruit and purified water, but purified water generators automatically fill your workbench with water and vegetables are easy mode.

Well I'm gonna have to look into that after work tonight since I have basically turned all of Sanctuary's old playground into a farm and have a few water pumps. Renewable adhesive will be nice.

Also I checked, and it's probably in a tutorial pop-up I ignored, but power armor depletes battery when you run, sprint, use VATS, or use a power attack. Pretty sure fast travel is fine, so if you're sneaking around a bunch it should be fine to use it without wasting too much battery life.

-You can equip Dogmeat with stuff by giving him like a bandana, highlighting it in his inventory, and pressing T (not sure what that is on consoles but there should be prompt for it at the bottom of the screen that says "equip")
-Assigning people jobs at settlements is sorta janky, you highligh them and press use while in the build menu, then highlight the job related thing and hit use again. When you highlight a settler the thing they're assigned to will also be highlighted, most seem to default to farming in my experience
-Removing mods from armor is free, so if you're not going to use it remove all its mods and scrap it. Same for gun muzzle attachments, but the rest tend to cost unless you have a stock of various standard mods.
-Wearing a nice suit, hat, and sunglasses can easily net you +4 charisma which as it turns out is a lot more important for speech checks than I thought, so get a nice outfit together for city/town shenanigans
-After 200 years they have finally improved the rules for baseball

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Geirskogul posted:

It requires Carrots, Mutafruit, and whatever the last vegetable is called too, Tatos I think? And water yeah.

But once you get it going its easy adhesive :dance:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

It requires Carrots, Mutafruit, and whatever the last vegetable is called too, Tatos I think? And water yeah.

But once you get it going its easy adhesive :dance:
Corn, Mutfruit, and Tatos, three of each, and one purified water.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Nohman posted:

Don't bother with food or alchemy crafting, buffs last only a couple of rounds and it's just not worth the hassle. Jewelry is really marginal too. Crafting weapons and buffing armor is decent though, so it's worth having someone with crafting/blacksmithing at 3 (with gear to raise the skill to 5). Having crafting skill allows you to combine boots with nine-inch-nails and create slipping-proof footwear, which is very useful at one stage.
Pet Friend or whatever that talking-to-animals perk was, is good. If you're stuck at any part then you can talk to a nearby rat or something for clues.
Magic is powerful early on, but gets a bit annoying and less useful late. You'd definitely want water magic for healing, the others are by preference. If you have Fire magic then Smokescreen is far more useful than it sounds - it's basically an AE blind and helps a *lot* in some fights.
Melee fighters suck early, but get much better late game, particularly rogues.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 12, 2015

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I have a smallish question regarding Fallout 4. I don't dare go into the dedicated thread, been burned on accidental spoilers way too many times.

Is there a way to share resources/crafting materials between settlements? Or do I have to lug copper and aluminium to every settlement manually? I've the the second rank of the Local Leader perk, but i's not really making much sense as to what it actually does.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Foxhound posted:

I have a smallish question regarding Fallout 4. I don't dare go into the dedicated thread, been burned on accidental spoilers way too many times.

Is there a way to share resources/crafting materials between settlements? Or do I have to lug copper and aluminium to every settlement manually? I've the the second rank of the Local Leader perk, but i's not really making much sense as to what it actually does.

Yes but it requires the 2nd rank of the Local Leader perk to do so, and then you have to assign citizens to do it for each settlement (1 each). Note that if you have several, linking one to another also links it to any that one is linked to, so you can have a spoke-and-hub or a big circle arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Alright, thanks!