Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

mandatory lesbian posted:

i don't understand this post, i've even read it a bunch and everything

it's near the end part that's where it starts to lose me, where did the cultists come in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_child_sex_abuse_scandal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

Tigers wouldn't be competitive again for years if ever.

Send them over to the SEC east, they'd get at least one conference win.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

hobbesmaster posted:

Send them over to the SEC east, they'd get at least one conference win.

They're already in the SEC East and have won the Division, twice in three years.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Your AirBNB hovel may not be up to the latest building and safety standards and will probably kill you. Fortunately you will get a full refund.

https://medium.com/matter/living-and-dying-on-airbnb-6bff8d600c04

WONTFIX: caveat emptor

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Luigi Thirty posted:

Your AirBNB hovel may not be up to the latest building and safety standards and will probably kill you. Fortunately you will get a full refund.

https://medium.com/matter/living-and-dying-on-airbnb-6bff8d600c04

WONTFIX: caveat emptor

the example that starts off the article isn't really the best - it's horrible that dude's dad died (and in such a horrible manner) but the fact that it was a rope swing seems pretty incidental to the fact that they were renting an AirBNB; are there regulations anywhere governing rope swings? If they were staying at a friends house or a hotel that had set up a rope swing, would those people need to get a permit or an inspection for such a thing?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Riptor posted:

the example that starts off the article isn't really the best - it's horrible that dude's dad died (and in such a horrible manner) but the fact that it was a rope swing seems pretty incidental to the fact that they were renting an AirBNB; are there regulations anywhere governing rope swings? If they were staying at a friends house or a hotel that had set up a rope swing, would those people need to get a permit or an inspection for such a thing?

Homeowner's insurance would have to cover the rope swing at a friend's house. A hotel probably wouldn't have one unless it's regularly inspected because it's a huge liability.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Homeowner's insurance would have to cover the rope swing at a friend's house. A hotel probably wouldn't have one unless it's regularly inspected because it's a huge liability.

hmm fair

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

pathetic little tramp posted:

If Missouri cut player scholarships over this, there'd be an emergency meeting in Atlanta to see who they can coax to the SEC to keep that television market after kicking out Mizzou. (Uh, maybe K-State?) They'd be Southern Methodisting themselves and the Tigers wouldn't be competitive again for years if ever.
Cutting 40 or so scholarships and firing your coaching staff is basically the equivalent of the death penalty, yeah

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Riptor posted:

hmm fair

Yeah in the article it talks about how if the airbnb people had tried to become a bed and breakfast instead they would have had to deal with inspections for safety, including landscaping.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Yeah in the article it talks about how if the airbnb people had tried to become a bed and breakfast instead they would have had to deal with inspections for safety, including landscaping.

Yeah but that cuts into profits. DISRUPTION

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're already in the SEC East and have won the Division, twice in three years.

:ughh:

That was even one of our only two conference wins this year too

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
CNN is calling the Mizzou protests "racial unrest" in the banners and showing footage of black students protesting. Good lord, what a horrible way to portray the situation.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Wolfe gone

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MickeyFinn posted:

CNN is calling the Mizzou protests "racial unrest" in the banners and showing footage of black students protesting. Good lord, what a horrible way to portray the situation.

But it is a good way to boost ratings.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Well some goons think St. Louis is Baghdad 2003 so...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Good.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I expect the fine citizens of Missouri are not going to take this very lightly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nonsense posted:

I expect the fine citizens of Missouri are not going to take this very lightly.
Yeah but now they get their precious football back

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Riptor posted:

One of the twitter comments on this story said something along the lines of "regulations are calluses grown from injuries of the past."

Which makes sense, something like this probably happened 100 years ago at a hotel and the result was safety inspections of recreational equipment for public use. Sure, not private use, which is where Airbnb steps in and "disrupts" that public safety regime by turning private-use (e.g. exempt from those regulations) residences into public-use hotels. This juxtaposition was part of the pushback against lyft/uber, where cab companies had a regulatory regime and extra insurance whereas individual drivers didn't. They've more or less fixed that (ongoing labor abuses are a different story) so expect more of this kind of thing to occur as more and more startups "disrupt" their way around a couple centuries worth of evolved regulatory protections.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Confirming this from someone who was at the meeting. Wolfe is stepping down, press conference later today.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's pretty awesome that he stepped down maybe this will lead to more football teams going on strike.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/11/09/tim-wolfe-university-of-missouri-president-resigns-sot.cnn/video/playlists/top-news-videos/

This is where I found it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Hollismason posted:

That's pretty awesome that he stepped down maybe this will lead to more football teams going on strike.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/11/09/tim-wolfe-university-of-missouri-president-resigns-sot.cnn/video/playlists/top-news-videos/

This is where I found it.

Racial issues are ones where coaches are, generally, smart enough to know that going along with this is good and cool. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12449471/bob-stoops-oklahoma-sooners-football-players-join-campus-protest-racist-video)

But, when it comes to them doing things for their own safety -- not likely. The NLRB ruled that private school student-athletes could not unionize earlier this year.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Seems like a weird approach to drawing attention to a cause.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Oh the football players at Mizzou didn't protest over their bodies being destroyed for people's entertainment, they were pawns in some "sjw bullshit". Clever alumni today.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Joementum posted:

A combination of paranoia and knowing the media will spin it into some RACIAL UNREST thing like CNN did?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Joementum posted:

so THIS is that fabled "Safe Space" i keep hearing about

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

CNN is filming black students and making them appear menacing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

reddit's response posted:

These players should lose their scholarships. The people who listed those blatant racist demands should be expelled. These black racists who get into this school based on quotas and affirmative action have not right to call anyone "privileged" they are nothing more than cultural terrorists. I hope the backlash against these racist blacks is severe.

When you use the term "white privilege" you are a racist.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Crosspost from the GBS thread (yeah, yeah)

spregalia posted:

Current MU person here. Allow me to provide a brief timeline of events:

August: University announces it will no longer be providing recipients of graduate assistantships with health insurance subsidies as these violate the IRS's interpretation of the ACA (Obamacare). They announced this with domestic student's insurance due to expire at midnight and international students' insurance having expired two weeks prior. This results in grad student walk-outs and protests. Many students immediately want nuclear option enacted. Subsidies are restored one week after announcement as university petitions IRS for an extension.
Late Aug/Early Sept: Unknown persons (possibly or possibly not students) call the president of one of the student associations the n-word from a passing truck. The university fails to say or do anything.
Sept: Facing pressure from the state legislature, the university rescinds the privileges that would allow a faculty member to serve as the doctor on record for the local Planned Parenthood.
Oct: Student calls group of black students the n-word, is identified, and expelled.
Late October: group of 12 or so protesters step in front of University president's motorcade during homecoming parade. Students lock arms and chant with Butler using megaphone. Allegedly driver of president's vehicle bumps a protester. Local (not campus) police break up protest (because it is illegal to detain people against their will) and threaten to pepper spray protesters if they don't comply (they allege this threat as brutality).
-- Student group meets w/ pres and issues list of demands that Drink Cheerwine posted. Bear in mind, this was there opening negotiation: a slap in the face (handwritten letter where you admit your white male privilege like he's a five year old) and quit your job were their first two demands.. The second part of II would violate existing state law as Curators are chosen by the governor and confirmed by the Senate. V violates two separate SCOTUS rulings regarding hiring quotas in public universities.
Late October: poop swastika.
Early November: Butler embarks on hunger strike because of systems of oppression (largely perceived microaggressions) on MU campus. More meetings take place, but because demands aren't met in full, strike continues. Nobody really cares until sportsball team decides to go on strike. People lose their loving minds at this development.

I'm not saying there's no racism on MU's campus, there certainly is (but it is not sanctioned by the university), but it's not Mississippi circa 1963. Some students are racists, I really don't see how that's possibly avoidable. The students are connecting wholly unrelated events (e.g. the health insurance, PP, and isolated incidents) and trying to build a narrative that really doesn't pass any scrutiny. There's (rightly) no University support for intolerance and when students have been caught doing or saying racist poo poo, they're always severely punished (almost always expelled). But these students want the entire campus, nay the entire world to be a safe space and somehow think the university owes it to them and is capable of providing it if only the president would acknowledge his white male privilege and resign. They want to hold the system president liable for poo poo that's been voiced over the anon service Yik-Yak (yes, seriously). 99% of this is self-victimization and self-infantilization on the part of the protesters. Honestly, they have a few valid points and like any sane person I too want an inclusive and diverse campus, but from my discussions with many of them, they're anti-liberal authoritarians out of Orwell's worst nightmares.

Even worse, this young man has been encouraged to die on the hill of microaggressions. The president has been pretty clear that he has no intentions of resigning and seems content to let the university fire him and pay him a multi-million dollar severance package or for the young man to die. I really hope the university won't cave (but they will) because of how unequivocally asinine of a precedent it will set in higher ed (i.e. that top administrators should be decided based on the capriciousness of students).

One other thing to note: the University president is actually the UM system president (meaning he presides over the main Columbia campus and three others around the state).

This guy seems to have a valid point; the main complaints seem to boil down to "some students are racist" and it makes it seem kinda silly that their immediate demands included resignations and "acknowledgements of privilege", are there examples of the administration explicitly or tacitly supporting racism or discrimination? Or did they just become the scapegoat?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The school does have an obligation to make the campus a safe place contra to gbs poster.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

stinkles1112 posted:

This guy seems to have a valid point; the main complaints seem to boil down to "some students are racist" and it makes it seem kinda silly that their immediate demands included resignations and "acknowledgements of privilege", are there examples of the administration explicitly or tacitly supporting racism or discrimination? Or did they just become the scapegoat?

Keep in mind the state of Missouri 2015 is not a vacuum.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
If the withdrawal of subsidies was really due to Obamacare, why does that fall on the university? And how does a university begin to follow up on 'some guy yelled something at me from a car'?

e:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They knew about this since June, but didn't tell students until just before (or right after) their subsidies were dropped, end of August/start of September. They were understandably pissed off. Several months are plenty of time for an administration to come up with a solution - which they did, as soon as they realized that grads are going to walk out on them.

Ok, yeah, that's hosed.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 9, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

If the withdrawal of subsidies was really due to Obamacare, why does that fall on the university? And how does a university begin to follow up on 'some guy yelled something at me from a car'?

Not sure, but the Prez hosed up never meeting with that hunger striking student. I don't know if goons are living in a vacuum or what, but black youth are pretty activist right now for some unknown to gbs reason.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

They knew about this since June, but didn't tell students until just before (or right after) their subsidies were dropped, end of August/start of September. They were understandably pissed off. Several months are plenty of time for an administration to come up with a solution - which they did, as soon as they realized that grads are going to walk out on them.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I feel like we need a go to primer on what micro aggressions are. Best I can describe them as is a base assumption made about someone because of their race.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

stinkles1112 posted:

It's not just about the events that are racist if I'm understanding correctly. It's the abhorrent way the University has handled it time and again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The University has been gaslighting students for like ever. This is what microaggressions are.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Gonna go ahead and say that I wish they hadn't included the "admit your white privilege" part in their demands, cause that's how this is going to get framed and all the incidents leading up to the protests will be forgotten.

Still, it's great he resigned. I hope they can get ahold of the narrative before FoxNews turns it into another attack on our precious white males.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

euphronius posted:

The school does have an obligation to make the campus a safe place contra to gbs poster.

For some definitions of "safe place", yeah of course they do. They have an obligation to protect their students from physical harm, which it seems they've done just fine. They have an obligation to harshly punish racism and hate speech, which again it seems they've done even if maybe they could have been more diligent about it, i.e. making a statement or taking some kind of action or something about the student association president getting "friend of the family" yelled at him from the car. Where is it that the administration fell so short that the president's resignation was warranted?

Edit:

BonoMan posted:

It's not just about the events that are racist if I'm understanding correctly. It's the abhorrent way the University has handled it time and again.

This is basically what I'm looking for. All I've found or been shown have been responses from the administration that, while certainly not perfect, are a far cry from "abhorrent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If the withdrawal of subsidies was due to Obamacare it was because the insurance was so lovely that it did not qualify as insurance under Obamacare.

As for the "some guy yelled something at me from a car" its more that there is a culture of racism and the school's administration taking a bit of a laissez faire attitude about it. The problem is cultural and the only way to change that is to be very strict, vocal and for the administration to get out ahead of the issue. Racism needs to be seen as something shameful, not something you pay some lip service to whenever something gets too much media attention.

• Locked thread