Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Fantastic feedback thanks guys. I kinda work for a company directly associated with EMC/Vmware so I have solid ties and no poaching provisions to those companies. I do get free training though so I got my Vmware 5 class done a couple years ago. Boss just let me know I can take the VCP 6 class though which will be a great catchup.

I have free vouchers too for taking the VCP which will be great and I can fail it as needed.

I'm going to set a reminder on outlook to bug the hell out of me and then put an annoying popup on the home computer too. I'll schedule a test date too to work towards it. The material is just so obnoxiously dull compared to other exams I've done that its hard to focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Langolas posted:

Fantastic feedback thanks guys. I kinda work for a company directly associated with EMC/Vmware so I have solid ties and no poaching provisions to those companies. I do get free training though so I got my Vmware 5 class done a couple years ago. Boss just let me know I can take the VCP 6 class though which will be a great catchup.

I have free vouchers too for taking the VCP which will be great and I can fail it as needed.

I'm going to set a reminder on outlook to bug the hell out of me and then put an annoying popup on the home computer too. I'll schedule a test date too to work towards it. The material is just so obnoxiously dull compared to other exams I've done that its hard to focus.

When I study for certs I dedicate two hours a day, five days a week to studying. I give myself two days per week that I can take off because there will inevitably be days that I just don't feel like studying after work. For me, two hours is the sweet spot on weeknights because it gives me a bit of time to unwind after I get off work before studying. If what I'm studying on a given night is particularly interesting, I may study an extra hour or two, but I never study less than two hours.

Ten hours a week might not seem like much but it adds up quickly. If you're not progressing as fast as you like, kick your studying up to three or four hours a night instead of two. If two is too much, wind it back to one hour. The most important thing is to find a pace where you can maintain consistent progress and avoid burn out. Being overly ambitious, like trying to dedicate five hours a night, seven days a week, will just lead you to stop studying and never get the certification.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Hiyoshi posted:

When I study for certs I dedicate two hours a day, five days a week to studying. I give myself two days per week that I can take off because there will inevitably be days that I just don't feel like studying after work. For me, two hours is the sweet spot on weeknights because it gives me a bit of time to unwind after I get off work before studying. If what I'm studying on a given night is particularly interesting, I may study an extra hour or two, but I never study less than two hours.

Ten hours a week might not seem like much but it adds up quickly. If you're not progressing as fast as you like, kick your studying up to three or four hours a night instead of two. If two is too much, wind it back to one hour. The most important thing is to find a pace where you can maintain consistent progress and avoid burn out. Being overly ambitious, like trying to dedicate five hours a night, seven days a week, will just lead you to stop studying and never get the certification.

This is really good advice to be honest. Breaking your studying down into manageable clear set goals helps you make progress, stay on track, and avoid burnout. For me burnout in particular is a problem as at the outset of any goal I'd have a lot more motivation than later on and if I didn't set reasonable daily milestones then I'd inevitably end up doing a lot of studying for like two weeks then stop entirely because I couldn't maintain that pace. Set of an incentive system for yourself if you need to, but try and plan something out. It did wonders for my study habits.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Langolas posted:

Working on my VCP right now... I am seriously lacking motivation. I got my lab built up but I just can't get myself to dig into things.

Anyone got any tips for getting motivated or words of encouragement to kick my rear end into gear? I've got a few months to get the cert done for a personal work goal. Got the other certs done on my list and this is the last one for the list and then next year Ill jump back into my networking certs.

Set a date. The golden rule of making yourself study (for me) is to just set the date and put your money down. That way you're committed. No waiting around or thinking "oh I'll get to it later". Just pick a day, schedule the exam, and get working.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there any good resource to test knowledge on the OSI model? I kind of still get crosseyed and look at it wrong, or will I get better at it as I go through Lamelle's book for CCNA?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there any good resource to test knowledge on the OSI model? I kind of still get crosseyed and look at it wrong, or will I get better at it as I go through Lamelle's book for CCNA?

Which part of it are you having the most trouble with? Remembering the model? What happens at each specific layer? You will certainly become more familiar with the latter as your progress through CCNA study and your best bet with the former is an acronym/mnemonic device (at least it was for me). I was always a fan of "Please Do Not Teach Stupid People Anything" going from Layer 1 - 7.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Gothmog1065 posted:

I had trouble remembering what happened at each step until I drew a picture visualizing the data flow. I likened it to how an Ikea desk would be shipped to a customer.

Application: An IKEA desk, fully assembled and usable.
Presentation: A break down of the desk into each component piece (what the pieces are, how big they are, what they look like, what their purpose is). Basically, the instruction manual on how to build the desk.
Session: A sales order from a customer requesting a desk be shipped to their house. A dialog is opened between the customer and a sales person to verify information, gather payment, and track the order until it's complete.
Transport: The decision of which shipping company to use, which service will be purchased (2nd day, signature required, etc), how big each box will be.
Network: Boxing up the components and slapping a shipping label on each one with origination and destination (plus some other details like which door it should be delivered to at the destination)
Data: Internal shipper notes detailing which truck the boxes need to go on to make it to the next warehouse. Each warehouse it hits will be one step closer to the destination, and each warehouse will make it's own independent decision on what direction to send the boxes.
Physical: The workers and the trucks that move the boxes around.

Again, draw the data flow as a picture and use your own analogy and you'll have a much easier time remembering it. Note where packets, frames, and bits come in to play because those questions will come up on the CCNA.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

It took me forever to remember the encapsulation order...

bit > frame > packet > segment

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I've got the order down pretty well now, (Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away is pretty much what I use). It's more of what happens on each layer, and the encapsulation order. I'm getting better with it, just wanna make sure It's good and ingrained as I move forward, much like I'm going to stop on subnetting again and make sure I have it really well. Not sure if Lamelle goes over the alternate subnetting methods, but I'll cross that hurdle when I get there.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

ChubbyThePhat posted:

They go in order based on number of letters, so if you're moving from Physical to Transport, start at bit and work up. As long as you remember one's position, you know 'em all.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Looks like I have 4 months to crank out the CCNP security. Good thing my work is paying for all of it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

psydude posted:

Looks like I have 4 months to crank out the CCNP security. Good thing my work is paying for all of it.

Let me know how that turns out for you. I'm still uncertain as to whether I want it or not.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Let me know how that turns out for you. I'm still uncertain as to whether I want it or not.

The IPS portion is out of date and a complete waste of time to learn. I'd focus on other security certifications if you already have a CCNP: R&S.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
Not really an IT cert in and of itself, but I was able to pass the PMP exam on Friday. I poo poo you not, I needed the entire next day before my synapses returned to working order.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CrushedWill posted:

Not really an IT cert in and of itself, but I was able to pass the PMP exam on Friday. I poo poo you not, I needed the entire next day before my synapses returned to working order.

Congrats! How much time would you guesstimate you spent studying? I was sent to a PMP boot camp through work a couple months back and as seems to be a recurring theme I've been unable to motivate myself to finish it off.

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
I passed the Oracle 1Z0-052 (11g DBA 1) test a weekish ago!

Anyone considering Oracle tests, I'd highly recommend looking to see if Matthew Morris (http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:Main) has a study guide available. The book is intended to be supplemental to other material, but I found his guide to be extremely help for content to study leading up to the test.

I used a combination of CBT Nuggets (good instructor though seemed a bit lacking in detail) and the Oracle Press book.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this CCNA Cloud sounds like the bees knees! :haw:

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Ozu posted:

Congrats! How much time would you guesstimate you spent studying? I was sent to a PMP boot camp through work a couple months back and as seems to be a recurring theme I've been unable to motivate myself to finish it off.

YMMV, but my study plan was probably close to 200 hours over a 3 month period.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Anyone have suggestions for a Security+ study guide to use? I'm looking into getting it since so many employers in the area require it due to DoD requirements. Thanks!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Lilli posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a Security+ study guide to use? I'm looking into getting it since so many employers in the area require it due to DoD requirements. Thanks!

The OP is still accurate on this one. Darril Gibson's Sec+ book is the way to go.

You can supplement it with Professor Messer's free videos, too.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Only 6 weeks until we have our first child (a girl), and people be like, only a month and a half until the hardest thing you'll ever do! and I'm like, I see you've never taken 70-642.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm glad I got my first ccna out of the way before my baby came because yeah, as goodbye to eight hour study sessions. Or anything requiring concentration when you aren't at work.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I have a 4 month old, and a pregnant wife.

Next week work is sending me to a 2012 MCSA bootcamp because there was training budget to blow.

7 business days, 8am to 8pm.

Fun times.

Having a kid isnt all that bad either. The first few months suck but it levels out a bit.
I'll probably eat those words when my first hits 2yrs :ohdear:

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Dunno if anyone is studying for CEH, but I guess EC Council just updated to version 9 on November first with almost no notice as far as I can tell. There was no overlap between the old version and the new version and the only study materials that are out for the new version are like $650 from EC Council themselves and supposedly aren't even good.

Glad I didn't buy a voucher already though I probably wasted the $100 application fee since I doubt they will refund it.

Not even gonna bother studying for the new version more than likely, probably just gonna start on the CCNA.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm glad I got my first ccna out of the way before my baby came because yeah, as goodbye to eight hour study sessions. Or anything requiring concentration when you aren't at work.

This is me. My studying is non-existent. :(

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Any of you guys have any tips for planning a study schedule? Trying to study for the A+ and I can't really find time.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

BigDave posted:

Any of you guys have any tips for planning a study schedule? Trying to study for the A+ and I can't really find time.
How much sleep do you "need"? Do you have a social life? Those things can be a real deterrent, I'd suggest casting them aside! (at least until you've taken the test)

Break it into manageable chunks, if you're using a book make it a goal to get through one chapter per study session.

Also pay for and schedule the exam, a looming deadline is definitely the best motivator, especially for a $$$ test like the CompTIA ones with no (free) retakes.

For me studying's always been about habit and momentum; if I get out of the habit I lose momentum and it's a bear to get back into the groove, so I have to get myself on a schedule where I come home from work, take 15-30 minutes to take care of necessary nonsense, then just sit down and start studying. Don't go on the forums, don't pull up any news web sites, don't see what's on the DVR or Netflix, just haul out the book / whatever you're using to study and power through it, it's tough some days but if you just force yourself to focus it will turn into a habit.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Has anyone ever tried the CCDA/DP exams?

are they just as expensive as the CCIE exams? Do you have to travel?

please say no

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Alright I will :shrug:

Race Realists posted:

no

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Race Realists posted:

are they just as expensive as the CCIE exams? Do you have to travel?

please say no

CC*A/CC*P are typically proctored exams you take in the same testing center you'd take your entry level exams. It's the expert level exams that make you travel.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
How are the Linux Foundation courses?

I'm very much a Windows systems guy, but I need to branch out and maybe get my RHCE. Are those courses worth the time and energy? I see they have supplemental courses covering OpenStack as well.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Friend asked about SAS certificates And I had no info. Are they worthwhile? He wants to get into data analytics from a finance background.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oLWIMGpZsQ

loving love this dude. It stinks that he took his vids down.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
For anyone who has been thinking about doing RHCSA/RHCE the good news is that the updated version of Michael Jang's book for RHEL 7 is finally out next week. I seem to have had this on pre-order forever so it will be good to work through it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sitting 70-410 in 3hrs. Let's see how bad it is... I've heard it's a nightmare!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Baconroll posted:

For anyone who has been thinking about doing RHCSA/RHCE the good news is that the updated version of Michael Jang's book for RHEL 7 is finally out next week. I seem to have had this on pre-order forever so it will be good to work through it.

Crap. It's already November, time to get cracking.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Baconroll posted:

Amazon says February now do you have a link? I'm probably sticking with Ghori since I'm about half way thru it. Awesome new job basically keeps me on retainer to write Powershell scripts so I haven't been very motivated :yotj:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Jang's books are a hell of a lot more well written with than the alternatives.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Roargasm posted:

Amazon says February now do you have a link?

:lol: I look forward to RHEL 8 being released before his book at this point. Nearly two years after the OS was released is impressive.

Although from the sheer number of inaccuracies evol has posted in the book club thread, it seems like there's still space in the market for a not-poo poo book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Roargasm posted:

Amazon says February now do you have a link? I'm probably sticking with Ghori since I'm about half way thru it. Awesome new job basically keeps me on retainer to write Powershell scripts so I haven't been very motivated :yotj:

On amazon.co.uk its next week, and Feb 2016 for amazon.com - Publishers often have a different dates for EU/US for non-technical books, but I've not seen it for one like this before. Assuming it arrives next week then I'll let you know !