Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Is there anyone who could weigh in on a question of choice between Huawei Watch and ZenWatch 2? I'm looking to buy my first werewatch, and, while Huawei device is definitely my first choice, the ZenWatch price is much more attractive for a first-time user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

LastInLine posted:

That seems crazy to me. My 46mm gets a reproducible 24 hours per charge, ambient on.

Ok, 13 hours this time. Battery users? Watch idle, at 8% was largest user.

It has to be the number of notifications I get, and that's mostly twitter. Going to try it tomorrow with it off, but that's a pain in the rear end, since that's the thing I want to see on the watch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ringu0 posted:

Is there anyone who could weigh in on a question of choice between Huawei Watch and ZenWatch 2? I'm looking to buy my first werewatch, and, while Huawei device is definitely my first choice, the ZenWatch price is much more attractive for a first-time user.

Go with looks. If you really think the Zenwatch 2 is the best looking one, go for it. It will work fine. I think it looks nice but wish the bezels were a lot smaller.

Most people seem to agree you get what you pay for with the extra price on the huatch though. It's very premium feeling.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Somehow I missed the fact that the Huawei watch is 42mm. That catapults it into first place for me.

How well does Android Wear handle Spotify? My car only has a 3.5mm auxiliary jack, so if I want to change tracks I would have to wait until I've stopped. I would love to be able to quickly change tracks with minimal distraction using the watch.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

AppleCider posted:

Somehow I missed the fact that the Huawei watch is 42mm. That catapults it into first place for me.

How well does Android Wear handle Spotify? My car only has a 3.5mm auxiliary jack, so if I want to change tracks I would have to wait until I've stopped. I would love to be able to quickly change tracks with minimal distraction using the watch.

Its pretty good. You can pause/play from a persistent notification. One swipe gets you to a simple skip/ volume control screen, another one even let's you maneuver through your music.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

For me the killer blow is the fact that AP ripped open a Huawei Watch and confirmed it has a speaker:

Given the Phandroid blogger who leaked 1.3 in its entirety has come out and said he was already told by an insider that it had hidden hardware and back in May the AP head said Wear was due speaker support it seems pretty clear Google intends to release it as part of the AW Marshmallow update.

Credit due to Samsung - I thought watch phone calls was a stupid idea 2 years ago, but after seeing Apple Watch in action I'm a complete convert. Though to be fair, Samsung Gear 1 ad didn't exactly help my initial bias:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8nJKWJTsUg

The ASUS ZenWatch 2 seems to have a speaker, too.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Does anybody know of a UK brick and mortar that stocks the latest generation watches?

Considering switching from pebble, but would like to poke at one in person first.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xlevus posted:

Does anybody know of a UK brick and mortar that stocks the latest generation watches?

Considering switching from pebble, but would like to poke at one in person first.

Don't switch, use both. That's where I am now. When I'm going to be in bright daylight, the pebble is 100% better than the moto. At night/lots of indoors, I like the moto. Long trip? Pebble.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Don't switch, use both. That's where I am now. When I'm going to be in bright daylight, the pebble is 100% better than the moto. At night/lots of indoors, I like the moto. Long trip? Pebble.

Same. My original Pebble is my work watch - I don't mind if it gets damaged, plus the battery lasts a long time. My 360 is for everything else.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
Got a crack on the back of my Moto 360. Doesn't bother me much, but I figure it's worth replacing while it's under warranty. I know a few people here have gone through the RMA process, how long does it take?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can pay an extra $25 and get an advanced replacement. Otherwise, it takes about a week.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I finally received the zenwatch2 and I have to say its pretty cool. I thought the larger size would look terrible on my too small for a guy wrists but it fits perfectly. The reviews nearly all say that the unit feel cheap but it feels very premium to me. Then again the only experience I had with Android wear was with the LG watch R and the zenwatch2 feels the same. Battery life is better than I thought. Lasted two days with about 30 notifications a day which is about the only thing i use for it. Love leaving the phone somewhere and not worry about missing an important text or email. The quick release strap is very well done. I wish traditional watches implement the same strap.

Overall 150 bucks well spent.

errad
May 31, 2013
Think we'll see any android wear equivalent to the samsung gear s2 3g that will run on verizon?

The gear s2 looks close to ideal, its main shortcoming being that it's not actually an android device. I'm really hoping for a smartwatch that can run google maps and stay connected for calls and messages, while I leave my phone at home.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Anyone with the metal band for the Moto 360 (v1) ever have issues with a Qi pad to charge? I'd think the band would get in the way of making solid contact as it can't really lie flat. I've considered picking up a Qi pad for my car for those random times when my watch burns through the whole battery on a day for no particular reason.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

errad posted:

Think we'll see any android wear equivalent to the samsung gear s2 3g that will run on verizon?

The gear s2 looks close to ideal, its main shortcoming being that it's not actually an android device. I'm really hoping for a smartwatch that can run google maps and stay connected for calls and messages, while I leave my phone at home.

Look into the LG Urbane 2. It's all these things and should come out this year. Samsung won't abandon tizen watches until it flops hard.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Are there any Milanese mesh bands like can come with the Huawei watch which also work with quick release pins? I really want one now but I bought the leather band one. The only ones I can find seem to use regular pins.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

Anyone with the metal band for the Moto 360 (v1) ever have issues with a Qi pad to charge? I'd think the band would get in the way of making solid contact as it can't really lie flat. I've considered picking up a Qi pad for my car for those random times when my watch burns through the whole battery on a day for no particular reason.

With a smaller pad like the LG WCP-300 or the Samsung square pads from circa Galaxy S5 it's no problem.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Fossil released a bit more information about their Android Wear effort. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-300163732.html

The interesting bits to me are that it's got an intel chip, will be $275, appears to be round, and the release implies wireless charging. As long as they don't gently caress it up too much with their "proprietary fossil app", that sounds great. I don't think manufacturers are even allowed to mess up Android Wear enough to make their proprietary bullshit mandatory, but we'll see.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My guess is the Fossil app will be similar to the Moto Connect app. You'll be able to customize included watch-faces with it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
OLED and I'm sold on the Fossil.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I saw another story on the Fossil Founder (that's it's name, and also a verb that means "fail or break down, typically as a result of a particular problem or setback."). It has a Moto 360 style flat tire. That's not a dealbreaker for me, but it is a negative.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I saw another story on the Fossil Founder (that's it's name, and also a verb that means "fail or break down, typically as a result of a particular problem or setback."). It has a Moto 360 style flat tire. That's not a dealbreaker for me, but it is a negative.

I imagine they were going for the noun.

quote:

founder
/ˈfoundər/
noun
noun: founder; plural noun: founders
a person who establishes an institution or settlement.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

5TonsOfFlax posted:

That sounds more like the definition of flounder if anything.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
They're kinda similar.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Desk Lamp posted:

That sounds more like the definition of flounder if anything.
Which, appropriately enough, is the code/board name of the Nexus 9.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I just got a Moto 360 today (courtesy of some sale at Staples) and now that I opened the box up the thing won't turn on. I went ahead and put it on the charger and the white led leads me to believe that it's charging, but should it be able to power in right out of the box or is this normal?

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I just don't have time to read 25 pages of this thread.

If this isn't normal behavior for the watch then I guess I'll have to return/exchange it, but I'd hate to have to do that because I just have too much going on tomorrow to be able to get to Staples again.

Thanks for anyone's help.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ev posted:

I just got a Moto 360 today (courtesy of some sale at Staples) and now that I opened the box up the thing won't turn on. I went ahead and put it on the charger and the white led leads me to believe that it's charging, but should it be able to power in right out of the box or is this normal?

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I just don't have time to read 25 pages of this thread.

If this isn't normal behavior for the watch then I guess I'll have to return/exchange it, but I'd hate to have to do that because I just have too much going on tomorrow to be able to get to Staples again.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Let it charge for an hour and then try booting it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It'll boot by itself once it has enough power if you just leave it on the charger. Should only take a few minutes though, and it normally ships on ~50% so it might be a bad unit.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Speaking of the wireless chargers are the Qi chargers on amazon that cost around $13 just as good as the official Motorola ones they sell on their site?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a 360 v2 soon.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
edit... whoops.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

LG was the first company to announce an Android Wear smartwatch with built-in LTE connectivity, and today AT&T revealed that the Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE (yes, that's its name) will be available for purchase starting on November 13th. The watch will cost $300, which can be split up over 20 months of payments. Those that sign a two-year contract for service, which runs $10 per month on top of AT&T's shared data plans, can get the device for $199.99.

$10 a month seems steep, I would rather see $5 but $300 with 20 month no interest financing isn't horribly priced.

I may have to pick this up assuming the reviews aren't horrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

$10 is the normal price for an add-on device.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Buy a Nexus 6P from Huawei.com and get a watch for $50 off right now. In America only of course.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Don't Lol me posted:

Anyone have any idea of the actual EU/UK release date of the Huawatch? Googling shows most of the articles are from the start of September, and we're well past any semblance of an October release date - can't find an UK online store that will allow preorder or even mention a price.

xlevus posted:

Huawei watch now available in the UK, online and at select Selfridges stores.

289 for silver with a leather band up to 599 for rose gold.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
This is probably mostly because of doing a factory reset to connect to my new phone ( a few days ago ), but I just got a random notice on my GWR that "Remote Shutter" was installed. I assumed it was something to do with initiating a picture on my phone via my watch.

But I checked my installed apps on the GWR ( and phone ) and there is nothing at all called "Remote Shutter". So..wtf?

Edit: I get that if I have the camera app open then a " Remote " card displays and I can use that as a remote Shutter. But the card is just called "Remote" not "Remote Shutter" and I haven't used the camera at all today and the camera app hasn't been updated either.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 6, 2015

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

That new Tag Heuer Android Wear watch is going to have a MSRP of $1500. :lol:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah that's been rumored for a while, so another win for the rumor mill I guess. Obviously their target market is not people who are aware of the world of smartwatches, but rather people who want to buy a Tag Heuer watch.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfOJWjsLT5M

Tag Heuer Wear event livestream starts in a minute or so. The new Wear OS version with speaker support will probably drop during/after so worth a look.

Yeah I noticed the grille on the Zenwatch 2 even before someone opened it up, just forgot to post about it.

The Moto 360 2015 is most likely also part of the speaker club, going by the "assembly slot" picture in Ron Amadeo's review:

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

That's super cheap for a TAG, and if the rumor of upgradable internals holds true, it might not be too crazy.

Motorola opened a retail store in Chicago this weekend, I plan on checking it out soon. I want to see if they'll do anything there for my 360's cracked back, but I'm sure they'll just point me to the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfOJWjsLT5M

Tag Heuer Wear event livestream starts in a minute or so. The new Wear OS version with speaker support will probably drop during/after so worth a look.

This stream is just old white dudes patting each other on the back for their great work producing a new expensive luxury product.

If you're interested in actual info, I'd recommend browsing the website they set up:

http://www.tagheuerconnected.com/