Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hyperlynx posted:

Wait, what? Linking directly to your work is the done thing on a resume?
In any industry where a portfolio will help you, provide a portfolio. This is as true for entry-level coders as for art graduates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Vulture Culture posted:

Normal resume rules apply: show, don't tell. If you've finished them, even if they're dumb, publish them to GitHub. Include a link, and reference specific personal projects instead of some unsubstantiated claim to have worked with something.

I guess I was more curious about how to incorporate it into my semi-chronological experience section. I'm assuming that if I'm applying for a programming job I should put it right at the top of the list under it's own header like "Independent Projects" or something and then the rest of my work experience and the bits of programming I did in each of my jobs.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Vulture Culture posted:

In any industry where a portfolio will help you, provide a portfolio. This is as true for entry-level coders as for art graduates.

Concur with this. My clients always ask to see your work for web design, UI/UX, and front end dev stuff.

And I don't give a poo poo about a cover letter! If I read it, it will be because I skim it and see some grammar error or horrendous sentence structure. If your recruiter is any good, he will be asking you for specific info to create his own targeted cover letter/summary for submittal to the client.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I took over my father's electronics business after he retired for medical reasons. I worked for his company in college, got a CsC degree and worked with embedded systems at a couple other companies before coming back to the family business.

The company is small, and I've had to learn about and do a whole bunch of things related to running a small business - hiring/firing, forecasting, customer management, marketing, inventory management, product photography, writing ad copy, insurance etc. Since I'm the sole engineer I have also had to learn electronic design, which I self-studied and took some classes towards a EE degree. We do in-house assembly of PCBs and enclosures, so I also have had to learn about things like lean manufacturing, mechanical drafting, and material resource planning. We have a line of standard off-the-shelf products and also do contracted custom designs and small run manufacturing.

I feel like I am stagnating and I want to move on and work somewhere with exciting products, big marketing budgets, and a team of people. I've spent 6 years as president/ceo/engineer and managed to not go bankrupt and add health insurance for the 3 employees. But, sales have been pretty meh. I learned that I am not a fan of sales and marketing, and I didn't manage to pivot us out of a dying niche market. I'm having a heard time figuring out metrics to use as resume bullet points.

How do I present my executive/jack-of-all-trades experience when applying for a technical position?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

taqueso posted:

I took over my father's electronics business after he retired for medical reasons. I worked for his company in college, got a CsC degree and worked with embedded systems at a couple other companies before coming back to the family business.

The company is small, and I've had to learn about and do a whole bunch of things related to running a small business - hiring/firing, forecasting, customer management, marketing, inventory management, product photography, writing ad copy, insurance etc. Since I'm the sole engineer I have also had to learn electronic design, which I self-studied and took some classes towards a EE degree. We do in-house assembly of PCBs and enclosures, so I also have had to learn about things like lean manufacturing, mechanical drafting, and material resource planning. We have a line of standard off-the-shelf products and also do contracted custom designs and small run manufacturing.

I feel like I am stagnating and I want to move on and work somewhere with exciting products, big marketing budgets, and a team of people. I've spent 6 years as president/ceo/engineer and managed to not go bankrupt and add health insurance for the 3 employees. But, sales have been pretty meh. I learned that I am not a fan of sales and marketing, and I didn't manage to pivot us out of a dying niche market. I'm having a heard time figuring out metrics to use as resume bullet points.

How do I present my executive/jack-of-all-trades experience when applying for a technical position?

More details about the situation and your exit plan would be helpful in crafting your pitch for your next job. Are you the owner or are you just the head person running the business? Is the plan to sell the business?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm the owner. Things are slow and I'm burned out and ready to relocate. A key employee is moving. We have a part-timer lined up to cover for them, but it just feels like it is a good time to start ending it. I'm planning on trying to sell some product lines, but there wasn't much interest in the business 6 years ago. I might to shop it around but I don't have a lot of hope that there is a big exit there. We are at an OK spot where I could just close up without debt, but it seems like I could stick around for awhile if I can't find anything new.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
An ex-coworker of mine (we worked together at my current job until he left the company) just let me know about an opening at his new company. If I were to get the position he would be my supervisor. Would it be bad to have him as one of my references? I'm not sure who else I could ask, as I don't want anyone I work with now to know I'm looking for a new job. I've only had one previous job and I already have my two bosses from that place, the ex-coworker would be my third. Or is it okay to just have two?

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 7, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
It's your friend's company and team, why don't you ask him how best to proceed? If he truly wants you there, he's going to make it clear how to proceed.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Have they asked for references? I think it's pretty unlikely that they even will as you have the only reference that matters. If they do ask, then ask your friend.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

asur posted:

Have they asked for references? I think it's pretty unlikely that they even will as you have the only reference that matters. If they do ask, then ask your friend.
Companies typically don't do their own background checks and will farm out the employment verification/reference calls along with the credit and criminal history checks, so I wouldn't rely on this.

Shivers McGee
Jan 2, 2006
What's the best way to handle a situation where you're applying for a job in another state? I'd be able to pack up and find a place pretty quick if I got the job...should I mention that I'm in the process of moving to that area on the cover letter?

Shivers McGee fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 10, 2015

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Yes absolutely mention that. Be prepared to get a lot of no's, though.... Some online filters will automatically toss yours in the pile just for being a certain number of miles away. I was doing it for a while and everyone went with a local candidate.

Shivers McGee
Jan 2, 2006
Alright, thanks!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

As a workaround, you can get a P.O. Box in your new city for awhile.

Metacognition
May 9, 2015

I have an interview for a city job as an administrative assistant coming up and was asked to provide a writing sample that can "demonstrate my ability to communicate clearly and effectively". Would a one page fake memo suffice? The position includes compiling reports and maintaining electronic and permanent files.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Sounds fine to me. If you have anything you've previously done along the lines of a report or something, that would be ideal, but a fake memo seems fine. It just needs to be long enough and clearly worded enough to prove you're capable of professional communication.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well fellows its time for me to stop living in "I have a passable resume" land and make a turn to reality. I have applied for a depressingly high number of jobs and have had a hilariously small number of invites to interview. A very small number. Lets not talk about it. Some of these have largely been my fault, in trusting people who helped me with the resume/ applying for some positions I am not qualified for. At this point though I have to think its just a poo poo resume.

I have a Master's in geology and have practical experience working on serious projects for my University's lab. Maybe this is the problem? I have largely been applying for entry level positions for a geologist.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1XRtsJBP9vmZXRhUllMY3dIdG8/view?usp=sharing

Tell me how bad this thing is. I need this to be fixed so I can start my loving career jesus christ why can't I get a job.

Here are some examples of jobs I would consider applying for:

https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebho...ail&codes=GLASS
https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebho...il&codes=SM-GDR
http://www.glassdoor.com/job-listing/field-geologist-terracon-JV_IC1141371_KO0,15_KE16,24.htm?jl=1625344490
http://www.glassdoor.com/job-listing/entry-level-geologist-recruiting-JV_IC1153575_KO0,21_KE22,32.htm?jl=1641658318

ECT.

The Gunge
Aug 20, 2011
So I had an interview for my first job out of college last Friday, and today marks the one-week date this thread told me to look out for. I got replies to my thank you emails from 2 of the people I interviewed with saying they'd be in touch, but haven't heard anything yet.

Should I call or send them an email? Or am I just freaking out over nothing. I really want this job, you guys

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Following up within a reasonable amount of time shows that you want the job. Just don't take it to stage 5 clinger status.

Email would be best. It's not invasive and you can take the time to make sure that you are being articulate.

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008

The Gunge posted:

So I had an interview for my first job out of college last Friday, and today marks the one-week date this thread told me to look out for. I got replies to my thank you emails from 2 of the people I interviewed with saying they'd be in touch, but haven't heard anything yet.

Should I call or send them an email? Or am I just freaking out over nothing. I really want this job, you guys

Also don't freak out. The reality is if you interviewed with several people there is a really good chance that at least one of them is holding up the process because they're slow. For example, every time we interview someone, everybody has to provide written feedback, and while most of us do this within a day or two, some people wait for days until HR bugs them about it. It's not that there's a big discussion about the candidate with people throwing things and yelling, it's just that some people are loving slow to do things which really don't take that much time. Plus you throw in vacation, people being actually busy with higher priority stuff, etc, and a week is not a long time at all.

Anyway send a "hey, how's it going, any news?!" email to the hiring manager if it'll make you feel better being proactive. Really though you have no power at this point, you just have to wait (and keep applying to other stuff!).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Vulture Culture posted:

As a workaround, you can get a P.O. Box in your new city for awhile.

When my wife and I were moving to a new state for her job, I asked a friend I knew in the area if I could put her address on my resume until we had our own place. Any chance that could have backfired?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

When my wife and I were moving to a new state for her job, I asked a friend I knew in the area if I could put her address on my resume until we had our own place. Any chance that could have backfired?
If they got to the offer phase and did a background check and found you didn't live at your stated address that might raise some red flags, but I can't envision any scenario where they wouldn't call you to check up on that afterwards.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Vulture Culture posted:

If they got to the offer phase and did a background check and found you didn't live at your stated address that might raise some red flags, but I can't envision any scenario where they wouldn't call you to check up on that afterwards.
It's a gray area. You could always say that you're staying with the friend while you look for a job in the new city. That's not technically false if you actually stay with them while you interview.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I got offered the position I interviewed for.
I told them I'd have a decision for them tomorrow.

How do I negotiate salary? I'm so good at selling myself in interviews and have no clue on the salary side

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

sheri posted:

I got offered the position I interviewed for.
I told them I'd have a decision for them tomorrow.

How do I negotiate salary? I'm so good at selling myself in interviews and have no clue on the salary side

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603093&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

The negotiation thread has a lot of great information. It's a lot for one night though, so you may want to request more time to think about the offer if you can.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Edit: stupid phone posting

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Thanks. The thing with me is its an offer within my company so they know what I currently make which puts me at a big disadvantage from the get go. :-/

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

sheri posted:

Thanks. The thing with me is its an offer within my company so they know what I currently make which puts me at a big disadvantage from the get go. :-/

If you can find out any info about the salary for the new position, that would help you. But really it comes down to being firm, knowing what you want/are worth, and being willing to walk away. I don't know the dynamics of your workplace, but if you have any rapport with your new manager, that can help too.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I would like to apply for a position that requires I be registered with professional association. I don't have that registration because I do not live in the area I would be applying for. I do, however, meet the requirements. Is this something I should address in the cover letter? Say I don't have this registration but am qualified for it?

Also could someone be so kind as to take a gander at my resume for red flags? Its been submitted a lot, 100+ times, and I've had, hilariously, 3 interviews.

I have a Master's in geology and have practical experience working on serious projects for my University's lab. Maybe this is the problem? I have largely been applying for entry level positions for a geologist.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Goodpancakes posted:

I would like to apply for a position that requires I be registered with professional association. I don't have that registration because I do not live in the area I would be applying for. I do, however, meet the requirements. Is this something I should address in the cover letter? Say I don't have this registration but am qualified for it?

You absolutely positively always and forever need to address the fact that even though you don't meet one of the qualifications for the position, they should still consider you. Why would they hire someone who doesn't meet the requirements for the job? Honestly, it sounds like you need to get that registration though to be a competitive candidate. If you're not living in the area of the company you want to apply for, you always need to address that in the cover letter too. Not living in the area hurts your competitiveness though. Why the heck would they take a chance on someone who doesn't meet the qualifications and doesn't live in the area?

quote:

Also could someone be so kind as to take a gander at my resume for red flags? Its been submitted a lot, 100+ times, and I've had, hilariously, 3 interviews.

This in and of itself is a red flag. Are you tailoring your cover letter and resume to each place you apply? Are you doing any research into these companies so that you can specifically mention applicable skills? Have you checked with friends in the industry to see if they are aware of any openings they could put in a good word for you for?

quote:

Here are the issues that I see:

If you have 9 years of research and work experience then why is the earliest date on your resume, aside from your BA in 2004, a paper from 2009? Last I checked 2015 - 2009 < 9.

Why do you have so many bullet points from your GRA position? They are so dense and incredibly repetitive and a chore to read. I am trying to provide you feedback and every time I look at them I just see a wall of text. The bullet points are too specific while at the same time without telling me much about what you actually can do. Also your word choice is repetitive (conducted, collected appear a ton) and makes it even more boring.
Why are your papers in seemingly random order and not ordered by year or by authorship?

Organize your skills so that your more specialized skills are seen first. Excel should not be the first thing I see.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Some great criticisms there, thank you. I accepted such a lovely interview rate due to circumstances: I was an American non dutch speaker applying to very specific geology jobs while living in the Netherlands. Now that I'm back in the states I actually have to face up to having a dogshit resume.

I have more work experience to cover my claim of experience but I cut it for length, listing my current and recent work history instead. How would I address this?

Also every job I apply for is not local so poo poo.

Aside from that I will have rewrite every thing. Thank you!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rosalind posted:

Why would they hire someone who doesn't meet the requirements for the job?
If the requirements listed in job postings were set in stone, 99.95% of the workforce would be unemployable. And the 00.05% of us that were working would be working entry level jobs with ivy league diplomas and 5 years' experience.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'll second that, while interviewing for the job I'm currently working my now-boss straight up told me that "[you] don't have the regulatory experience we're looking for, but having a graduate degree would be a pretty good starting point to learning those regulations". Now I'm entering month 6 on the job and haven't really needed to pick up that regulatory knowledge (haven't needed the grad degree either). And to go even a step further, the resume that they originally received from me had an out-of-state address on it, though they did phone-screen me first at which point I told them we were moving to the area anyway.

My wife is currently job-hunting and I keep telling her that companies rarely find and hire candidates who can check off on every single requirement on a job posting. It becomes a question of "what do we want this hire to bring to the table" vs "what can we teach them". I would say in the case above, you could say "hire me and I will register for this association", hell they might even sponsor you if you are convincing enough.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

C-Euro posted:

I'll second that, while interviewing for the job I'm currently working my now-boss straight up told me that "[you] don't have the regulatory experience we're looking for, but having a graduate degree would be a

What kind of regulatory experience?

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
After trying to follow all the points made in the OP, I have a resume I'm planning on submitting for a museum conservation job with an emphasis on integrated pest management (as an amateur entomologist and former exterminator, I can do the basics of this part with my eyes closed). I'm wondering if someone who worked/ works for a museum would be willing to take a look at the job description they posted, and the skill set I've written, and provide some feedback or critique.

PM me or quote with contact info and I can send it to you. Thanks in advance! :ocelot::shibe:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

calvus posted:

What kind of regulatory experience?

This was for a cosmetics regulatory position, in which I am currently employed. Honestly it's pretty boring but this is my first 100%-desk job, and I think the reg experience will look good on my resume when we uproot again for my wife's after-postdoc employment. She's convinced that I can get a $100k regulatory manager position with two years of experience but I'm not nearly that optimistic.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

taqueso posted:

Well main thing is using the targeted resume format to focus on skills that match up with the job description.

If it's a management style position then emphasize your management skill and experience. If it's more technical focused emphasize you experience in design, manufacturing and testing.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

I have more work experience to cover my claim of experience but I cut it for length, listing my current and recent work history instead. How would I address this?

Smarten up that wall of text under your graduate research position to make more room. Rosalind already picked on this so I'd guess you are already working on it but -

quote:

Identified igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks as well as terrain and geological composition areas of interest while conducting geological field sample collection both individually and in crews of up to ten people during the creation of type sections and preliminary and road map surveys.
that is a loving headache to read, goddamn. If it is geo work experience and relevant to the types of positions you seem to be applying for, I would saw off those publications if I had to.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Since goodpancakes seems to be getting some feedback on their g-drived resume, I made my own. Again, I am applying for basically a pest control position at a major museum, and am trying emphasis the skills I have developed over time as an amateur and volunteer, versus my actual work experience and education. Any feedback would be most appreciated:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-tdz2CEWXkQdE9NTnRiWWdRbU0/view?usp=sharing

edit: My bad, should show up now. Thanks!

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You've locked down your resume so no one else can view it without permission.