Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah, ordinance talk! :orks101:

Okay, first off Tandem-charge payloads aren't going to work. The initial impact's going to kill moment outright, so the second payload will never go off as it slowly drifts around the debris of the first. Reinforced Armor tips are also right out, because they'll act to contain the blast away from the impact point. As for duds, the angle of impact can play a part. You need a direct head-on hit to actually get the full kinetic impact, anything else and it can potentially just glance off instead. And sometimes all that can be said is "Space Engineers" when odd stuff happens :v:.

If you want something a little more sure-fire, go for a kinetic rod instead (ie; a solid lump of Reinforced Armor). Accelerate your fighter to full speed, fly at enemy, release and break off. The starfighter I just added to the workshop has an example of these if you want to see them at work.

Thanks for the advice on the tandem charge. I'd hoped I could get it working, but them's the breaks I guess. :sigh: Maybe somebody will come up with shaped charge warheads that's more powerful but only explodes in a cone, but until then I guess I'll try different configurations and also try the kinetic penetrators.

Hmm, now I have to expirement with things like capped AP vs regular ones. Oh well, at least blowing poo poo up is fun! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I've seen a guided missile example on the workshop, and a variant that packs a bunch of gyros in the nose so they scatter after impact. I will dig up the link when I get to a computer.

I don't know how effective they are, those missiles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sorus posted:

I've seen a guided missile example on the workshop, and a variant that packs a bunch of gyros in the nose so they scatter after impact. I will dig up the link when I get to a computer.

I don't know how effective they are, those missiles.

I honestly wouldn't put much stock in the gyro trick. It's a clever one, but it's something that's probably going to get patched out eventually.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I have an idea actually for a semi tandem-charge system, but I'll have to work out the kinks. But it's functionally two separate torpedoes attached together and designed to break apart and separate. They'll hit at different times but function as a tandem charge system. I'll have to experiment and play around with different systems though.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
One thing you could try with mods is a multi-stage missile using a solid core of large block warheads, a rear propulsion section and a small block cage made from heavy armour and blast door "rods". Use this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516770964&searchtext=small+to+large+grid+connector as it has a few glitches that are often favourable when creating warheads. The small blocks attached often phase through on collisions and only update on the following physics tick if the large blocks impact first. Something to do with forcing the game to merge small and large blocks into a single grid so they don't collide with each other. Does mean you could create the opposite with a central rod made from large blocks, punch it into a ship and have the attached small warheads detonate inside after penetration.

Can also be used to help merge block small ships onto a station or large ship carrier

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Verizian posted:

One thing you could try with mods is a multi-stage missile using a solid core of large block warheads, a rear propulsion section and a small block cage made from heavy armour and blast door "rods". Use this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516770964&searchtext=small+to+large+grid+connector as it has a few glitches that are often favourable when creating warheads. The small blocks attached often phase through on collisions and only update on the following physics tick if the large blocks impact first. Something to do with forcing the game to merge small and large blocks into a single grid so they don't collide with each other. Does mean you could create the opposite with a central rod made from large blocks, punch it into a ship and have the attached small warheads detonate inside after penetration.

Can also be used to help merge block small ships onto a station or large ship carrier

More warheads don't actually mean a bigger boom though. It's just the same blast in a wider area and small-block warheads do not do a lot to Reinforced Armor.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
No but when they can simply pass through the armour for half a second, exploding inside a block, they tend to do a lot more.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly wouldn't put much stock in the gyro trick. It's a clever one, but it's something that's probably going to get patched out eventually.

You're likely right.

The link I mentioned earlier:
Guided Missile: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=546494746 which is used in this ship: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542103824

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Sometimes I take a look at the official SE forums, much like the flagellants of old. Today, the devs posted something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJoRKVbDjj4

Planets are coming on Thursday. Time to see how many people's computers burn up trying to handle it.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
The manchild in me wants to take Friday off now...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Uncle Spriggly posted:

The manchild in me wants to take Friday off now...

I get friday off because we're moving to a new office!

But the toddler probably won't let me play :negative:

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

I get friday off because we're moving to a new office!

But the toddler probably won't let me play :negative:

If only we could send the kids to work in the factories like the good old days.

So, all ships will be effected by natural gravity right? Artificial Mass blocks won't be required?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Darth Various posted:

Sometimes I take a look at the official SE forums, much like the flagellants of old. Today, the devs posted something special.

Planets are coming on Thursday. Time to see how many people's computers burn up trying to handle it.

:holy:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Kickass!

I can't get friday off...

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
i hope there is some solution to gravity generators not working in natural grav., I wanted to build a space elevator and use gravity to shuttle up and down.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
A reverse gravity orbital tether would be amazing.

But you'd have to make sure the spiders don't carpool up with you.

Idea: Has anyone successfully modded in some sort of rail system? so you could have a proper elevator system not limited by pistons.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I don't know how well it would work under the strain of gravity, but using a bunch of wheels to move stuff along a rail just made out of light armour blocks works fine even for relatively large loads, just gotta watch the speed on it to avoid breakages.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Various posted:

:hawaaaafap:.

So, everyone got their landing shuttles ready?

McGiggins posted:

A reverse gravity orbital tether would be amazing.

But you'd have to make sure the spiders don't carpool up with you.

Idea: Has anyone successfully modded in some sort of rail system? so you could have a proper elevator system not limited by pistons.

Gravity Generators don't work past 0.5g in planetary gravity wells.

lohli posted:

I don't know how well it would work under the strain of gravity, but using a bunch of wheels to move stuff along a rail just made out of light armour blocks works fine even for relatively large loads, just gotta watch the speed on it to avoid breakages.

Why use Light and watch it crumple when Reinforced will actually take the impact?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Just in time for fallout!

This weekend is gonna be busy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Well poo poo, I'm gonna be busy with this on top of all the other videogame poo poo going on

PLANETS :derp:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:hawaaaafap:.

So, everyone got their landing shuttles ready?

Only without the FTL jump at the end

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I've just finished my next ship that's supposed to explore planets. I wanted it to carry a rover on an elevator, and I guess I was right on time.

I've got mag-lock pads in the hangar to hold the piston in place and a smaller one on the bottom of my rover to stick it to the elevator. Fun times were had with the elevator ripping out the back of my ship.

These pictures slightly older and before I cleared its line of fire a bit, I found it would shoot off its own parts at close range.

My little Apollo rover.

Testing on that one fake planet map didn't go so well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Asmodai_00 posted:

Only without the FTL jump at the end

How'd you find out my crash landing plans? :tinfoil:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
E: Pretty sure we've already had that conversation.

For content: Planets! Can't wait to build an excavation drill!

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 10, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Will I have to start a new game in order to see planets?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Will I have to start a new game in order to see planets?

No idea, the developers have never actually said and it's something that could go either way.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551141458

This is pretty cool; its a mod that make ships blow up instead of go dark when you shoot them up.

I actually kinda like that ships go dark (why should not reactive poo poo explode), but with some tweaking the mod could almost be a must have on a server as a lucky shot into reactor clumps and the like SHOULD have a chance to blow the whole thing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The idea of taking friday off to play with planets is really dumb. The patch to fix critical bugs won't be until late friday afternoon! ;)

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Just in time for fallout!

This weekend is gonna be busy.

Similarly, don't play bethesda games on week 1.

Zodack posted:

I want to publish it on the workshop but people seem to be allergic to mods there, which is really weird considering how easy it is to install and maintain mods in this game?

It's easy to install and maintain a mod list. Subscribing to someone else's mod list just to load their ship blueprint is a hassle, and eventually you have a zillion mods so you have to unsubscribe to get rid of clutter.

It's not like many people really want to use other people's creations for themselves. It's a building game, pretty much everyone is gonna build their own stuff. Personally I think a lot of heavily modded ships I see are neat, but not so much that I get anything extra from walking through them over just seeing screenshots. They're cool or inspiring for something I'll maybe make myself. So the smallest barrier -- 2 minutes to find & sub to mods I don't actually care about -- is enough to stop at just the pictures.

Basically if you want to impress me so much that how did he do that? is something I must know, the answer can't be "mods".

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hell, with everything listed on the right side of the screen when browsing a modded workshop submission, it takes literally seconds to find, read and subscribe to the mods contained within a submission.

I think that relying on mods too much will poison vanilla for most people though (other than QoL mods like retracting staircases), so I too attempt to see how far I can get within vanilla limitations.

I think it'll be interesting to see how vanilla and mod servers develop concurrently in terms of strategy and rate of progress from server inception.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I mean all I use are door mods, engine mods, other aesthetic stuff. Pistons and whatnot are a flight risk on any ship so I like downloading big door mods to take their place.

I put it on the workshop as a world, it has about 100 subs right now which has me pleasantly surprised.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

I mean all I use are door mods, engine mods, other aesthetic stuff. Pistons and whatnot are a flight risk on any ship so I like downloading big door mods to take their place.

I put it on the workshop as a world, it has about 100 subs right now which has me pleasantly surprised.

I try to go as vanilla as possible*, but there's some things you just need like actual decent guns or the Conveyor Vents (seriously, the vanilla ones are an intrusive nuisance in any room).

*Saying that even as I have about 20+ mods on my ship.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I try to go as vanilla as possible*, but there's some things you just need like actual decent guns or the Conveyor Vents (seriously, the vanilla ones are an intrusive nuisance in any room).
The vanilla vents are frustrating, because whether you have them jut out of the wall half a block, or try to put them in a dent in the wall, they look out of place. There's no aesthetically pleasant way to use them!

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Some ships I've seen hide them behind the "vent" windows and maybe around a corner. But that takes up more space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

McGiggins posted:

For content: Planets! Can't wait to build an excavation drill!

It's a shame we can't have arbitrarily long pistons because it would be very neat to be able to build boreholes.

I guess conceviably you could make some kind of drilling rig which clamps onto the side of the shaft, extends the drill and a new set of clamps, then disengages the first set and retracts the rear towards the front.

Some kind of drilling inchworm thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We could probably do with a new thread title come Thursday. I was thinking "Space and Medieval Engineers; The planets have more bugs than the games."

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
New thread title owns, I support it.

Also, we would have to design such a clamping device, but I have yet to see any square drills, and we can only clamp at right angles unless you mess with lots of rotors which would have to support the weight of the whole thing, including the extra force of stopping it's drop when retracted.

Might be able to do it with wheels to steady it and prevent it from twisting or rotating though, if you can be sure of the width of the hole remaining constant...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

It's a shame we can't have arbitrarily long pistons because it would be very neat to be able to build boreholes.

I guess conceviably you could make some kind of drilling rig which clamps onto the side of the shaft, extends the drill and a new set of clamps, then disengages the first set and retracts the rear towards the front.

Some kind of drilling inchworm thing.

I've been trying to think about how to build a borehole miner or something similar, but I came across a better solution: Build a ship that is big enough to just devour an entire planet. :iia:

e; I don't know if it would be possible, but might we mod in a block hard enough to just punch into a rock and serve as a piton? That'd sidestep problems with clamps or wheels. Or build something that drills into the borehole's sides, retracts the drills, descends a couple blocks, and then inserts the piton into the gaps.

e2; The other problem, it occurs, is getting a mining rig back out of a borehole.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 11, 2015

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

If it does its job right, all you have to do is wait until it emerges from the other side of the planet :science:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mister Adequate posted:

I've been trying to think about how to build a borehole miner or something similar, but I came across a better solution: Build a ship that is big enough to just devour an entire planet. :iia:

e; I don't know if it would be possible, but might we mod in a block hard enough to just punch into a rock and serve as a piton? That'd sidestep problems with clamps or wheels. Or build something that drills into the borehole's sides, retracts the drills, descends a couple blocks, and then inserts the piton into the gaps.

e2; The other problem, it occurs, is getting a mining rig back out of a borehole.

No, no, dig UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
dat space jump video

time to jump back into mechanical madness

• Locked thread