Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I rarely see mentioned when people compare FO3 and NV is that while NV was massively better Obsidian did also have the luxury of having a ton of art assets and game mechanics and stuff readily available, and it's a lot easier to write a good game when the main thing you're doing is writing, building a map, etc and not having to also make the building blocks of the game

Like it doesn't really matter to the end user and I do agree NV is better but it sort of reminds me of things like Assassin's Creed, where the first game was really clearly a prototype of the game and then the second one had more and more fun stuff to do, a cooler world to explore, and a better story because they were free to focus on that stuff instead of making sure the parkour tech worked

It seems weird to hate on Bethesda if you love NV, unless you love it in spite of everything about the gameplay and art and poo poo, in which case it seems like you're giving the story in NV (which is still marred by things like the open-world structure and poo poo acting) more credit for making a game good than it deserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Snatch Duster posted:

So this is the PC thread, coolies

its good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just requested that Kewpuh add "Fallout 4 PC Thread:" to the start of the thread title

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eonwe posted:

i just requested that Kewpuh add "Fallout 4 PC Thread:" to the start of the thread title

oh so its a legit verry important thread now? boo.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Nasgate posted:

Lmao, it's like 3 pm in Britain and Funstock digital not only hasn't sent out keys like they said, but the website's down.

Sup no game buddy. Their Facebook says you can email support and they'll send you a code.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

One thing I rarely see mentioned when people compare FO3 and NV is that while NV was massively better Obsidian did also have the luxury of having a ton of art assets and game mechanics and stuff readily available, and it's a lot easier to write a good game when the main thing you're doing is writing, building a map, etc and not having to also make the building blocks of the game

Like it doesn't really matter to the end user and I do agree NV is better but it sort of reminds me of things like Assassin's Creed, where the first game was really clearly a prototype of the game and then the second one had more and more fun stuff to do, a cooler world to explore, and a better story because they were free to focus on that stuff instead of making sure the parkour tech worked

It seems weird to hate on Bethesda if you love NV, unless you love it in spite of everything about the gameplay and art and poo poo, in which case it seems like you're giving the story in NV (which is still marred by things like the open-world structure and poo poo acting) more credit for making a game good than it deserves

nv still looked like absolute poo poo though so i dont know if thats something you want credit for

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

nv still looked like absolute poo poo though so i dont know if thats something you want credit for

that's what im saying tho, if your position is that new vegas still looks like poo poo, has bad core game mechanics, and is unstable (i.e. all the bethesda legacy stuff), you're giving the story an awful lot of credit when you call it a good game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SneakyFrog posted:

oh so its a legit verry important thread now? boo.

its not important than any other thread in games

which is to say

its not

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eonwe posted:

which is to say

its not

oh ok I just didnt know if you were gonna put up a no more shitposting sign :slick:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that's what im saying tho, if your position is that new vegas still looks like poo poo, has bad core game mechanics, and is unstable (i.e. all the bethesda legacy stuff), you're giving the story an awful lot of credit when you call it a good game
I have a complicated relationship with New Vegas because of this. Obsidian made it as good as they could but it’s still kind of dogshit to actually play, which is bad in a video game. I think it’s one of those games I appreciate more than I actually actively enjoy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For me, it's less about the story and more about the quest structure. There's a difference, at least the way I look at it--even if New Vegas had worse dialog than it does, it would still be a more fun game for me to go back to, because I can expect that I can actually do things differently than I did last time.

New Vegas has fewer quests and, if I remember correctly, a smaller world than Fallout 3. Instead, its quests are far more reactive than those in Fallout 3--you get to make choices and see them actually play out in the form of vastly different quest conclusions. That, and just the very basic foundation of the game's main quest is much better suited to an open-world RPG than the dramatic, urgent quests that Bethesda is so fond of. New Vegas's main quest integrates with a lot of the side quests, is affected by some of the side quests, and offers four very different ways for things to play out--and it's a more grounded quest that feels suited to the setting where it takes place.

I agree that Obsidian can't take credit for the gameplay foundation of Fallout: New Vegas, but to be fair, that gameplay isn't all that compelling in either Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

And I really don't think it's unreasonable to think that Bethesda could do both, especially when it looks like they haven't really meaningfully iterated on their engine. I'm sure they poured a ton of resources into base building, but I'd (personally) prefer that they'd have used those resources to give us cool branching quests with multiple ways it can go. But the thing is, Bethesda doesn't think that makes a good RPG--that's obvious by now, or they'd have at least tried. They prefer to attempt to tell a grand, dramatic story in which the player has some sort of personal or emotional stake handed to them by the narrative. Again, I don't so much care about the events of the story, but trying to put that kind of story in an open-world game just hamstrings the kind of quest design that could lead to fun, varied playthroughs.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Eonwe posted:

which is to say

its not

Except the Star Citizen thread

Star Citizen thread is love

Star Citizen thread is life

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Berious posted:

Except the Star Citizen thread

Star Citizen thread is love

Star Citizen thread is life

except yesterday, yesterday it deserved no love

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Berious posted:

Sup no game buddy. Their Facebook says you can email support and they'll send you a code.

I'm a filthy console peasant who has pre-ordered the Pip Boy Edition and is currently regretting the decision to attend the midnight release at game as the rain continues to drown the north west :saddowns:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

SneakyFrog posted:

except yesterday, yesterday it deserved no love

sneakyyyyyyyy

you have some asplainin to do

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

ZenVulgarity posted:

sneakyyyyyyyy

you have some asplainin to do

what did i do nowwwwwwwwww?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

SneakyFrog posted:

what did i do nowwwwwwwwww?

idk

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

oh ok. That I'm used to.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Harrow posted:

And I really don't think it's unreasonable to think that Bethesda could do both, especially when it looks like they haven't really meaningfully iterated on their engine. I'm sure they poured a ton of resources into base building, but I'd (personally) prefer that they'd have used those resources to give us cool branching quests with multiple ways it can go. But the thing is, Bethesda doesn't think that makes a good RPG--that's obvious by now, or they'd have at least tried. They prefer to attempt to tell a grand, dramatic story in which the player has some sort of personal or emotional stake handed to them by the narrative. Again, I don't so much care about the events of the story, but trying to put that kind of story in an open-world game just hamstrings the kind of quest design that could lead to fun, varied playthroughs.

That's fair. Bethesda could make another New Vegas. They have the talent (or the budget to hire the talent where need be,) but for whatever reason they've decided that that's not the market they want to pursue. And that's fine, that's their prerogative, but I'm always going to be disappointed by that fact. At this point, it looks like you go to Bethesda for your dicking around, ignoring the main story open world games, and if you want New Vegas style open world story-driven games, you need to look elsewhere.

Maybe CDProjekt.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

That's fair. Bethesda could make another New Vegas. They have the talent (or the budget to hire the talent where need be,) but for whatever reason they've decided that that's not the market they want to pursue. And that's fine, that's their prerogative, but I'm always going to be disappointed by that fact. At this point, it looks like if you want New Vegas style open world story-driven games, you need to look elsewhere, and just go to Bethesda for your dicking around, ignoring the main story open world games.

Yeah, I mean, even with the "four dialogue choices" interface you could have some incredible lines, just look at Alpha Protocol. Seems they went a bit low-key this time.

Still, Bethesda devs are pretty good at making neat-looking dungeons to explore and this game is no exception.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if you're wondering whether your PC's specs are enough for this new Bethesda Game Studios masterpiece, here are some spitball results:

Core 2 E8400, HD 4870: 20-30fps on medium/1366x768
Core i5-750, GTX 560ti: 30-40fps on medium/1080p
Lenny's AMD A8-7600, GTX 960: constant 60fps on low/480p

basically if you have a pc made in the last 6 years you shouldn't worry at all

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

its better in every way other than technically (which is the same), boiling it down to Story as a single criteria kind of disproportionate

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Keeshhound posted:

That's fair. Bethesda could make another New Vegas. They have the talent (or the budget to hire the talent where need be,) but for whatever reason they've decided that that's not the market they want to pursue. And that's fine, that's their prerogative, but I'm always going to be disappointed by that fact. At this point, it looks like if you want New Vegas style open world story-driven games, you need to look elsewhere, and just go to Bethesda for your dicking around, ignoring the main story open world games.

Remember that it was only years later that the community decided the NV story was amazing writing. At the time most reviews listed it as a low point or worse than Fo3. So it's hard to even tell what trajectory opinion is going to take on these game's stories.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Remember that it was only years later that the community decided the NV story was amazing writing. At the time most reviews listed it as a low point or worse than Fo3. So it's hard to even tell what trajectory opinion is going to take on these game's stories.

Hindsight really is 20/20... Eh.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Speedball posted:

Hindsight really is 20/20... Eh.

But it also demonstrates beautifully, as to why publishers really don't have the slightest incentive to financially support good writing. The reviews upon and around the release of the game are the ones that control all the advertisement hype and, ultimately, more purchases of a game. And good writing is almost never something that you just point to and say: "YES! Bioshook Infinite is the Citizen Kane of gaming! Finally, a smart game for smart gamers!" It instead takes time to reflect upon and explore something that has any kind of depth in writing and by then...the sales review for publishers is long done already and all the significant moneyboats they're looking for have already sailed.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Reviews seem generally positive. i.e. it's fun, but janky as it looks. Some people even praising the moral choices which is surprising.
I guess our old friend Shamus Young will come around in a few days to negate that but I'm excited!

Several years down the line there seems to be nothing to suggest that it's worth upgrading my 2500k.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Loving pretty much everything I'm hearing except for the narrative dissonance that stems from loving around while your son is kidnapped. Bethesda knows how people play their games. I'm not sure why they made the main questline so imperative right out of the gate.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Look son, your missing arm isn't the end of the world. Look at all the toy cars and staplers daddy has stored in his house!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Berious posted:

Thanks! Hopefully I get a code before I get home.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That's really just the problem with reviews in general though; it's not really possible to absorb a complex story in the 5-10 hours most reviewers are able to spend with a game before their write-up. In that respect the punchy, epic stories that Bethesda seem to be focusing on make a lot of sense. If you run through Fallout 3 or Skyrim really quickly, you're not going to notice the plot holes 'cause you're too busy rushing to the next setpiece.

That said, I'm really happy to see that Bethesda is learning the use of distinct colors instead of just brown. Graphical fidelity aside, the art direction for Fallout 4 looks like an enormous step in the right direction.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Anyone have a VPN that can currently connect to tomorrowland? Vypr can't do it right now, I don't think it's a mystery why. :f5:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Kizurue posted:

Anyone have a VPN that can currently connect to tomorrowland? Vypr can't do it right now, I don't think it's a mystery why. :f5:

go into options and have it automatically retry to connect, it worked for me

e: game seems fine btw

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Eonwe posted:

Mr Eonwe, what are your PC specs? i take it you are massively enjoying the game so far!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
8 GB RAM
GTX 770
i5 2500k

how about you?

I enjoyed the hour I got to play. I'm at work now!

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

klapman posted:

go into options and have it automatically retry to connect, it worked for me

e: game seems fine btw

I have mine set to automatically reconnect but none of the servers for cities past the time change are showing up sadly.
Update: Finally got it unpacking. At least I can get about 2 hours before work.

Kizurue fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 9, 2015

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eonwe posted:

8 GB RAM
GTX 770
i5 2500k

how about you?

:negative: girfriend didnt preload it

SIIIIGH

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Deified Data posted:

Loving pretty much everything I'm hearing except for the narrative dissonance that stems from loving around while your son is kidnapped. Bethesda knows how people play their games. I'm not sure why they made the main questline so imperative right out of the gate.

You can justify your exploration and gently caress-around-ness with 'is my son over here?' 'no' 'how about over there?' 'no' 'will helping this jet fiend get my son back?' 'no' 'how about kleptomania?' 'no' 'how about slaughtering this town's inhabitants?' 'no' 'oh well, I'll keep trying!'

You see?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

My biggest problem so far, from the few hours I've gotten with it, is that everything feels so disconnected and ultimately boring to take part in. Maybe it'll pick up later, but right now it is looking like that early review was right.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Eonwe posted:

8 GB RAM
GTX 770
i5 2500k

how about you?

I have

16GB RAM
GTX 970
i5 2500k!

If you are enjoying it and its looking good then I know I will too when in unlocks in a few hours for me! exciting times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

I have

16GB RAM
GTX 970
i5 2500k!

If you are enjoying it and its looking good then I know I will too when in unlocks in a few hours for me! exciting times!

yeah you'll definitely be good there

• Locked thread