Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Snowcow posted:

There's a whole bunch of prints still in existence of various generations, including at least half a dozen I.B Tech prints, one of which is being restored by a third-party. See here: https://vimeo.com/122322519

I really hate how this is being called "restoration" - this guy thinks the shot is grainy because it was shot in Tunisia, rather than it being a multi-generation optical effect. Anyone familiar with the technical background of the film would know that. There's some noble and important fan versions of films out there, but it's misleading to equate this as any sort of restoration while it doesn't do anything in the long run.

It's possible more were made for abroad since Technicolor Rome was still printing some dye-transfer through the 1970s (Suspiria was initially printed in dye-transfer), but nothing in the US after 1974. I don't even think Technicolor London was still printing dye-transfer. I've only ready about 1-2 dye-transfer prints being made and one was for George Lucas' own archives.

There would not be any original prints with enough intact color to be usable for anything outside those few dye-transfer prints. The best sources would have to be later LPP prints made after 1985, but would have the alternate main title and re-composited opening shot. Someone was actually selling a 1981 print on eBay a few months ago with a little color left, but it would still look poor quality even when adjusted. Return of the Jedi should have some good sources, though, since it was printed on LPP. Even the "Revenge of the Jedi" trailers that survive have fully intact color.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Egbert Souse posted:

I really hate how this is being called "restoration" - this guy thinks the shot is grainy because it was shot in Tunisia, rather than it being a multi-generation optical effect. Anyone familiar with the technical background of the film would know that.

That's not what he says, at all. Not even close.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

It's possible more were made for abroad since Technicolor Rome was still printing some dye-transfer through the 1970s (Suspiria was initially printed in dye-transfer), but nothing in the US after 1974. I don't even think Technicolor London was still printing dye-transfer. I've only ready about 1-2 dye-transfer prints being made and one was for George Lucas' own archives.

All I can find on the Tech prints for Star Wars is that they were made by Technicolor London, nothing on the amount that were made. The theory that only 1-2 were made looks to me like it came from conjecture/melodrama on fan forums and the like.

https://www.h-net.org/announce/show.cgi?ID=214670
http://ww2.kqed.org/arts/2014/01/05/the_projectionist/
https://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/September2015/TechnicolorTurns100/page1.php

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

The best sources would have to be later LPP prints made after 1985, but would have the alternate main title and re-composited opening shot.

Would this actually bother anybody except the most hardcore spergs, as long as everything else was good?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Would this actually bother anybody except the most hardcore spergs, as long as everything else was good?

I think you've answered your own question.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Justified: The Complete Series (with flask!) is deal of the day at Amazon for $79.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...FFKHTRCHDUSPFE7

Other deals are:

Leon The Professional (I think this is the new 4k remaster) - $12.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AFV3AHYW4OD3YZU

Spider-Man Trilogy - $11.59 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3N6RLC3C35BVMHL

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Only the hardest core spergs care about any of this, everyone else just uses Netflix

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

LORD OF BUTT posted:

If it's Star Wars, it will never be good enough for all of the hardcore spergs. Someone somewhere will be mad because they didn't include the mono mix of the film or the 6 track or 4 track stereo mix of the film, or hey, what about the classic Pan and Scan version with the CBS/FOX logo that I grew up with?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Let's be honest though, these movies have been tinkered with to an unprecedented extent. You don't have to be a "sperg" to notice how out-of-place a lot of this stuff is. It's ultimately just a very irritating way to present these classic movies. Far more distracting than a bad transfer or inaccurate color grading or something like that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cemetry Gator posted:

If it's Star Wars, it will never be good enough for all of the hardcore spergs. Someone somewhere will be mad because they didn't include the mono mix of the film or the 6 track or 4 track stereo mix of the film, or hey, what about the classic Pan and Scan version with the CBS/FOX logo that I grew up with?

I don't think anyone complained about the BluRay treatment Blade Runner got, particularly the 5 disc edition.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sir Lemming posted:

Let's be honest though, these movies have been tinkered with to an unprecedented extent. You don't have to be a "sperg" to notice how out-of-place a lot of this stuff is. It's ultimately just a very irritating way to present these classic movies. Far more distracting than a bad transfer or inaccurate color grading or something like that.

Oh, I don't disagree. George Lucas added a lot of noise, and a lot of it is just pointless tinkering for the sake of tinkering.

I think though, no matter what you do with the release, because it's Star Wars, someone's going to be upset.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh, I don't disagree. George Lucas added a lot of noise, and a lot of it is just pointless tinkering for the sake of tinkering.

I think though, no matter what you do with the release, because it's Star Wars, someone's going to be upset.

But the great thing about Star Wars fans is, no matter how upset they get, they will still buy 3 copies. They could release a version of the film that was nothing but a long shot of George Lucas jerking off for 2 hours, and while they would bitch and moan about it on twitter, they'd all still be lining up day 1 to buy it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

But the great thing about Star Wars fans is, no matter how upset they get, they will still buy 3 copies. They could release a version of the film that was nothing but a long shot of George Lucas jerking off for 2 hours, and while they would bitch and moan about it on twitter, they'd all still be lining up day 1 to buy it.

Well, it'd be the definitive version of episode 1, that's for sure.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

This is disturbingly accurate. When I heard about the Star Wars steelbook blu-rays I went onto the blu-ray.com forums to find any information about whether or not they were the good versions of the original movies. I had to skim through pages and pages of people complaining about every little nuance of these new releases but still saying they'd buy them. Half of these fucknuts didn't even like the art of the cases and already owned various different Star Wars blu-ray sets. but said they were still going to buy them because they were steelbooks. I feel like this poo poo is why they won't bother putting out the original unruined movies.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have never once bought any Star Wars home releases. I almost bought the Complete Saga Blu-Rays back in 2012, but then Disney bought Lucasfilm and announced a sequel trilogy, so I'm going to wait until the 20's to get any box set.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CPL593H posted:

This is disturbingly accurate. When I heard about the Star Wars steelbook blu-rays I went onto the blu-ray.com forums to find any information about whether or not they were the good versions of the original movies. I had to skim through pages and pages of people complaining about every little nuance of these new releases but still saying they'd buy them. Half of these fucknuts didn't even like the art of the cases and already owned various different Star Wars blu-ray sets. but said they were still going to buy them because they were steelbooks. I feel like this poo poo is why they won't bother putting out the original unruined movies.

To be fair, the blu-ray.com forums are home to some of the biggest whiny-baby spergs on the loving planet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

To be fair, the blu-ray.com forums are home to some of the biggest whiny-baby spergs on the loving planet.

This is why I rarely venture into them. You have to get through ten pages of bitching an moaning about the corners of the cardboard sleeves on blu-ray cases or some other inane bullshit before you can find any useful information about the actual discs and their content.

CaptainYesterday posted:

I have never once bought any Star Wars home releases. I almost bought the Complete Saga Blu-Rays back in 2012, but then Disney bought Lucasfilm and announced a sequel trilogy, so I'm going to wait until the 20's to get any box set.

The most recent release I bought is the DVDs that had the laserdisc ports on the bonus disc from about ten years ago. If I could watch them in actual widescreen I'd be content with that. Before that it was the 1995 VHS box set.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 9, 2015

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CPL593H posted:

This is why I rarely venture into them. You have to get through ten pages of bitching an moaning about the corners of the cardboard sleeves on blu-ray cases or some other inane bullshit before you can find any useful information about the actual discs and their content.

The website has a database with tons of information for nearly every major release and reviews for a lot of them. You don't actually have to venture into the forums.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have read blu-ray.com on occasion for years and I have yet to read a single user comment on there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Speaking of blu-ray.com, I've been looking for info on if the Constantine show is ever going to actually get released on home video, and they've got loving nothing on it over there. Any of you guys hear anything about that?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Evil Dead 2 (25th anniversary edition) - $4.50

TheJoker138 posted:

Speaking of blu-ray.com, I've been looking for info on if the Constantine show is ever going to actually get released on home video, and they've got loving nothing on it over there. Any of you guys hear anything about that?

Sure doesn't look like it. The show was cancelled after the first season, and many shows in similar positions don't get DVD/BD releases anymore.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I didn't buy the Blu-Rays, figured I'd save money. You could say I'm voting with my wallet but being drowned out by everyone who did buy them. I only own the unfucked with VHS versions, and Special Edition DVDs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Breaking Bad complete series 69.99: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=2921749011

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Evil Dead 2 (25th anniversary edition) - $4.50

Sure doesn't look like it. The show was cancelled after the first season, and many shows in similar positions don't get DVD/BD releases anymore.

If anything they might wait until Arrow season 4 is coming out on bluray since Constantine (and same actor from the show) appears in that season.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn't buy the Blu-Rays, figured I'd save money. You could say I'm voting with my wallet but being drowned out by everyone who did buy them. I only own the unfucked with VHS versions, and Special Edition DVDs.

That's how Star Wars is meant to be watched: On VHS, through a 1993 Sanyo 13" TV with built-in VHS player, while sitting in bed with a bowl of Cookie Crisp.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I have to give Star Wars fans credit, doing a scan of a 35mm print of The Empire Strikes Back is hardcore and extremely cool.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I have to give Star Wars fans credit, doing a scan of a 35mm print of The Empire Strikes Back is hardcore and extremely cool.

I hope he runs it through a noise reduction filter before releasing it, just to watch the internet burn

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I unironically love this look.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm gonna make out with the grain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's nice that it wasn't filtered to death, but that seems excessively grainy for 1980 35mm. Is that pushed to bring back the color or during an optical?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Does anyone have any recommendations for an app that databases collections based off of scanning barcodes or something? I just bought a copy of Who Framed Roger Rabbit on the weekend because it was nice and cheap, then got home to find that I already have it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

It's nice that it wasn't filtered to death, but that seems excessively grainy for 1980 35mm. Is that pushed to bring back the color or during an optical?

It's called the Renegade Grindhouse transfer so :shrug:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an app that databases collections based off of scanning barcodes or something? I just bought a copy of Who Framed Roger Rabbit on the weekend because it was nice and cheap, then got home to find that I already have it.

I like My Movies (I'm using the Android version). There's a free trial for something like 25 or 50 titles and then you have to pay a few bucks if you like it. They've got an exhaustive database and you can scan in multiple movies in one go, which really speeds things up.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's called the Renegade Grindhouse transfer so :shrug:

This looks like a cleaned-up version of every workaday 35mm print I've seen in repertory.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I think it looks great. Although it could use a lot more badly composited CG spaceships and weird creatures running around.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just a slight bit of color adjustment and softening takes off the edginess:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Modus Pwnens posted:

I like My Movies (I'm using the Android version). There's a free trial for something like 25 or 50 titles and then you have to pay a few bucks if you like it. They've got an exhaustive database and you can scan in multiple movies in one go, which really speeds things up.
I've also got My Movies (iOS version), it's the Blu-Ray.com official app so that's the database it's referencing. It's not foolproof when it comes to barcode scanning, but searching the database for manual entry purposes is easy enough, especially if you've got foreign releases. It helps if you have a blu-ray.com account, although the app doesn't work unless you've got an Internet connection, even if you're just browsing your own collection.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Deal of the day: Boardwalk Empire: The Complete Series Blu-ray - $89.99

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Shout says the 15-disc Halloween deluxe set is out of print, so buy now or forever hold your peace (or forever pay crazy ebay prices)...$99 on Amazon right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Shout says the 15-disc Halloween deluxe set is out of print, so buy now or forever hold your peace (or forever pay crazy ebay prices)...$99 on Amazon right now.

How many of the exclusive special features are worthwhile? I'd hate to pay $100 for one classic, one watchable time waster, and a poo poo ton of, well, poo poo.

Edit: Read the Amazon summary, so yeah, there are exclusive special features.

Oooooooo! A never before seen director's cut of Halloween 6! I've always said that if only the director of Halloween 6 had been free from meddling, we would have had a masterpiece.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 10, 2015

• Locked thread