Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

gabensraum posted:

any of you used mattermost for team chat? http://www.mattermost.org

i quite like slack except that i need something self hosted, and this seems to do the job. my dev team currently uses a jabber server for basic group chat but we're keen for something a with more bells and whistles. was looking at hipchat server since we already use jira and confluence but it gets expensive when your team is bigger than ten people.

yes i will just test it myself but you'll save me half a day if anyone has any dealbreakers to share

if you are already using jira and confluence just go with hipchat imo, pick up stash too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Blotto Skorzany posted:

what? you don't need a bouncer or any of that poo poo. let your irc client live in a screen/tmux/whatever session in your vps, boom done

having this work reliably for an entire team would be a lot of extra work

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Blotto Skorzany posted:

what? you don't need a bouncer or any of that poo poo. let your irc client live in a screen/tmux/whatever session in your vps, boom done

well first of all, a lot of communication happens with non/less technical people who don't want to set up screen and tmux, don't want to log into a VPS, and don't want to deal with any of that poo poo.

and second, yeah, try making that work for a large team, let alone a large corp.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use lotus sametime. it lets you use your own smilies

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i don't see what's hard about setting that up for a team but i'll take your word for it since i don't cj, but what 'setting up' does screen take

you install it and then run the command. i think it already comes installed on most distros anyways

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Blotto Skorzany posted:

i don't see what's hard about setting that up for a team but i'll take your word for it since i don't cj, but what 'setting up' does screen take

you install it and then run the command. i think it already comes installed on most distros anyways

there are a ton of hoops to jump through, including knowing how to use screen and irssi and spending the time to configure them correctly

hipchat/slack is just install on whatever os/ur phone and click go

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Blotto Skorzany posted:

lol, i don't think you know what the word "janitoring" means in this context because this is the loving definition of janitoring.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
"how can i see what people said before me in irc, i want to catch up on a conversation"

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

gabensraum posted:

any of you used mattermost for team chat? http://www.mattermost.org

i quite like slack except that i need something self hosted, and this seems to do the job. my dev team currently uses a jabber server for basic group chat but we're keen for something a with more bells and whistles. was looking at hipchat server since we already use jira and confluence but it gets expensive when your team is bigger than ten people.

yes i will just test it myself but you'll save me half a day if anyone has any dealbreakers to share

There was a [0] conversation about this on HN [1] recently that might be of use.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_articles#Indefinite_article
[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
my company has like 8 different chat clients they use depending on what team you're working on.

management got wind and made the grand declaration that we're all moving to slack.

except we still use hangouts for one-on-one messaging

and video conferencing (along with bluejeans/webex/gotomeeting)

and dev is staging an insurgency and staying on flowdock because slack doesn't have threading (how tf does slack not have threading?)

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
thanks cobbers

i like irc, i like jabber, i use both for various things. there's a certain level of sugar that hipchat, slack, et. al. bring for dev teams, things like embedding links, pasting code, tagging comments for later filtering/searching.

yeah hipchat would be nice because of its integration with jira and confluence, our entire organisation uses jira and confluence so those licences are good value, but only a small number of us would use stash/bamboo/hipchat, but we're not quite small enough to qualify for the cheap rates and we can't afford the next step up. so we run free source control and CI tools, and mattermost looks like it will fit that purpose pretty well. LDAP support is on the way too which would be ideal.

will give it a run and report back

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

uninterrupted posted:

my company has like 8 different chat clients they use depending on what team you're working on.

management got wind and made the grand declaration that we're all moving to slack.

and dev is staging an insurgency and staying on flowdock because slack doesn't have threading (how tf does slack not have threading?)

we have lyncskype for business which is handy for its outlook integration and ability to be used across different parts of our organisation but it's on office365 which doesn't support persistent group chat at all.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we only use email and phone calls as god intended

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
we use flowdock and i quite like it

old place used lync and before that notes sametime and they were both bad

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

"how can i see what people said before me in irc, i want to catch up on a conversation"

irc, the idle relay chat.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
irc is poo poo and most of the time i just have to paste people irc logs on google chat

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Blotto Skorzany posted:

95% of my company posted:

what's a "distro"?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

uninterrupted posted:

threaded conversations are for wankers who want their opinion to be heard on every possible tangent of a conversation

this is why it works so well on HN and reddit

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Blotto Skorzany posted:

lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
what do you need? well we kinda need a web forum, you know, long running flat threads, user accounts, password recovery, registration, inline images, attachments, oh and full text search, and we want it to update as people are posting.

have you considered that maybe you need irc? i know it's stateless, and has none of the above but surely every team member can just ssh into the same box, attach screen and jump into bash to grep for logs on the sared directory, assuming that bot doesn't go down

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ahmeni posted:

threaded conversations are for wankers who want their opinion to be heard on every possible tangent of a conversation

this is why it works so well on HN and reddit

the only thing worse than threaded conversations is ranked threaded conversations

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
still not seeing the problem, teffu, but i appreciate getting dogpiled by the depressed angry scotsman who barely poasts these days. it has more of that vintage coc feel we've been lacking since AD got absorbed into umad ison or brozilla or wherever he's working now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Blotto Skorzany posted:

still not seeing the problem

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

people here can barely figure out how to skype

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Blotto Skorzany posted:

still not seeing the problem, teffu

it's u

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
the most effective person i know: is almost never in the office, is never on skype, only replies to emails between the hours of 8-9AM, and 4-5PM. i gotta get there.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

the only thing worse than threaded conversations is ranked threaded conversations

shaggar was right

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

tef posted:

it's u

tef posted:

shaggar was right

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i don't know that I've ever seen threaded conversations in a chat client. how does that even work?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

the most effective person i know: is almost never in the office, is never on skype, only replies to emails between the hours of 8-9AM, and 4-5PM. i gotta get there.

this was me for a couple years (minus out of office) and then management happened

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i don't know that I've ever seen threaded conversations in a chat client. how does that even work?

Click on a message. Reply to that, new thread. Each thread is coloured so you can click on a thread, even though the main view shows all chat organised by time.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Maluco Marinero posted:

Click on a message. Reply to that, new thread. Each thread is coloured so you can click on a thread, even though the main view shows all chat organised by time.

This sounds like the IM equivalent of the forum post dissecting every line from 4 different posts.

I guess it's made for people who want their opinion in everything.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Maluco Marinero posted:

this was in google wave and it sucked lol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
threaded conversations are like that time you chatted with that really annoying guy who always wanted to move the topic back to the last thing you talked about because he had something to say about that

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

threaded conversations are like that time you chatted with that really annoying guy who always wanted to move the topic back to the last thing you talked about because he had something to say about that

...or you have a dev channel, and there's a discussion on a server outage, rewriting deployment instructions, how to turn on a feature, and whether or not a hot dog is a sandwich, and you want the chat to be readable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

sometimes, for some subjects and some environments, threaded conversations are good.
sometimes, for some subjects and some environments, threaded conversations are bad.

its crazy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so in these threaded chat things, conversations are really just reddit threads?

sounds awesome.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
just use vbulletin in the cloud imo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i mean IRC as a protocol can probably be adapted to the enterprise but only if you put a graphical client in front of it that will autoconnect to the right server and hide all of its legacy horror

e: and i mean graphical too, not some x11 "console in a window" hsit

ee:

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'