Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is garbage. :colbert:

No. I posted to the identify song megathread htough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm still of the very small segment of weirdos that thinks that Artpop is Gaga's best album (not counting Fame Monster)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm still of the very small segment of weirdos that thinks that Artpop is Gaga's best album (not counting Fame Monster)

Artpop is my favorite pop album since Fame Monster, TBH. Though that new CRJ is close, if not as consistent.

There isn't a bad track on Artpop, IMHO, which is rarely the case with a pop album these days

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

somnambulist posted:

Team Gaga anyone?

........guys?

(I wish she was still as popular, so much potential :( )

At least one more Team Gaga guy here. I think people tend to underestimate her popularity. Will she break records the way Taylor did and Adele most likely will? No, but she's still the most unique pop star out there, and the press she garnered for stuff like her Grammy performance or American Horror Story shows that a lot of people still care.

Also, seriously, there are Bieber fans here :frogout:? I don't need my (pop) music stars to be perfect human beings, but he is just vile.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

somnambulist posted:

Uh- her album goes on sale the week of Black Friday, she is going to obliterate records (I don't think she will match N syncs record though (isn't it like 2.3 million in one week?), but she will certainly beat Britney's record, I'm like 90% sure of this)

Fair enough. I think Black Friday's mainly an American thing so I don't really keep track of when it is.

Re: Lady Gaga - does anyone remember the whole "It's reductive" thing with Madonna? Never really came to anything but it could have been a potentially fun feud.

Re: Justin Bieber - they always seem to have this American Top 40 countdown show on when I'm at the gym, and I thought his more recent single (I don't think it's THE most recent one, but the one before it; the one that was number-one in America and in the UK a few weeks ago) sounded fine for what it was.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
There's been like two times this year where I've heard a song and thought "oh that's nice, I wonder who sang that?" and it turns out it's Justin Bieber and my mind is blown.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Literally came into this thread that I've never posted in before to say that I've never liked Bieber ever but his new singles + the Skrillex one he sings have been absolutely great pop songs. Reassured that I'm not crazy and that's a popular opinion here.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Literally came into this thread that I've never posted in before to say that I've never liked Bieber ever but his new singles + the Skrillex one he sings have been absolutely great pop songs. Reassured that I'm not crazy and that's a popular opinion here.

People are mad confused:

http://themuse.jezebel.com/calling-it-justin-bieber-has-released-the-three-best-s-1738308678

http://www.stereogum.com/1839303/justin-bieber-sorry/mp3s/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess everyone who used to joke that he might sound decent once his voice broke turned out to be right. :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

Weirdos? But this is totally correct?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Nope, What Do You Mean and Sorry are both absolute dreck, and you're all mad.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013

It's been a month and I'm still holding onto hope that she'll release this on iTunes, or at least include it on her next album. Disco is a very, very good sound for her.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I like most of the songs on Artpop individually but it's kind of a mess when shoved together into an album, worse than 1989 is.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

I like most of the songs on Artpop individually but it's kind of a mess when shoved together into an album, worse than 1989 is.

Really? I thought it was pretty coherent as an album, certainly more than The Fame or Born This Way. Hard for me to look at objectively after having listened to it so many times as an album, though.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw0RZuY5owI

This is probably my favorite song from Artpop.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been looking back over some of the BBC Sound of... polls on Wikipedia. They mostly manage to pick artists who last but there's been some outliers here. Little Boots won in 2009 - I remember she was even on Later... With Jools Holland, which is the serious "real musician" programme, but she never quite became as big as she could have. The same year, Florence + the Machine placed third, while Lady Gaga placed sixth, which I think puts things in relief.

I remember Michael Kiwanuka winning in 2012, and he was fairly big for a while. Haim won in 2013, and they've managed to do fairly well, but the biggest artist in the longlist for that year, I think, has to be the Weeknd, who was in the "Other Nominees" category.

It's a bit like the Grammy Award for Best New Artist, or odd Album of the Year wins (like the time it was expected to be a straight fight between Eminem and Radiohead, and it went to... Steely Dan).

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been looking back over some of the BBC Sound of... polls on Wikipedia. They mostly manage to pick artists who last but there's been some outliers here. Little Boots won in 2009 - I remember she was even on Later... With Jools Holland, which is the serious "real musician" programme, but she never quite became as big as she could have. The same year, Florence + the Machine placed third, while Lady Gaga placed sixth, which I think puts things in relief.

I remember Michael Kiwanuka winning in 2012, and he was fairly big for a while. Haim won in 2013, and they've managed to do fairly well, but the biggest artist in the longlist for that year, I think, has to be the Weeknd, who was in the "Other Nominees" category.

It's a bit like the Grammy Award for Best New Artist, or odd Album of the Year wins (like the time it was expected to be a straight fight between Eminem and Radiohead, and it went to... Steely Dan).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_of...

Oh my god, this is amazing. Jessie J won? They usually pick good artists overall but I can't wrap my mind around some of these rankings.

Electric Six came in second in 2003. I love Electric Six and I wish they were more successful. They qualify for this thread, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnsq9XtpmEk

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_of...
Electric Six came in second in 2003. I love Electric Six and I wish they were more successful. They qualify for this thread, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnsq9XtpmEk

Oh wow, I never even knew Synthesizer had an official video!
I really liked Electric Six for a while. They still put out a funny song from time to time, but they never managed to write songs as catchy as on their first album again. I guess that's why it doesn't surprise me that they faded in popularity after their debut.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was thinking earlier that I'm disappointed saxophone solos didn't make the comeback projected by "The Edge of Glory" and "Last Friday Night".

Bird and the Bee had a pretty slick one this year on the song "Doctor":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zo2UWEq2KY

CORGI ORGY
Feb 26, 2007

This was so disappointing considering Max Martin co-produced it and Peter Svensson had songwriting credits. That chorus hurts.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

CORGI ORGY posted:

This was so disappointing considering Max Martin co-produced it and Peter Svensson had songwriting credits. That chorus hurts.

I really really like Ariana Grande and yes, I think this is pretty awful haha

Also, this isn't exactly new but this is a pretty popular Uruguayan pop group as of late here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAo8kAPqEao

I'm not even sure it qualifies as pop for other parts of the world, but I think it's a pretty good group :v: (Skipped the video's intro - they commemorated 20 years with this song)

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
I am straight up blown away by the new Grimes album. It's brighter, clearer, and more dense than Visions and, I dare say, maybe even better.

http://youtu.be/ooWkA_-lOHA

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's real good.

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
Bieber chat: I was reminded again when I heard it on the radio -- whoever wrote the instrumental backing for What Do You Mean is loving great.

CORGI ORGY
Feb 26, 2007

FalsePriest posted:

I am straight up blown away by the new Grimes album. It's brighter, clearer, and more dense than Visions and, I dare say, maybe even better.

This took a few listens to click for me, but aside from "Scream" it's pretty impressive considering she did all of the instrumentation/production work herself.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

DismemberedLemon posted:

Bieber chat: I was reminded again when I heard it on the radio -- whoever wrote the instrumental backing for What Do You Mean is loving great.

Bieber is God

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

FalsePriest posted:

It is incredibly good. Like possible Album of the Year good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It is incredibly good. Like possible Album of the Year good.

I knew it was going to be brighter and poppier than Visions or Halfaxa, which I'm totally on board with, in fact it's definitely a mashup of the two at times (World Princess part 2!). On the other hand it doesn't feel like a cohesive album at all, just like a bunch of really good songs that could go in any order. I like the back half of the album a loving ton. A few of the early tracks are grating as gently caress, though it probably has her best singles to date.

I feel like "Entropy" belongs on there, too, but I can't decide where. Maybe even "Go".

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I'm not sure I like the final version of Realiti as much as the demo/video version.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

david_a posted:

I'm not sure I like the final version of Realiti as much as the demo/video version.

I think the new one fits the album better, but yeah I kinda missed how ethereal/dreamy the original was. Still pretty good though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

david_a posted:

I like them both but the album version fits the brighter theme of Art Angels. The video cut sounds like it's right out of Visions.

Honestly, it'd be impossible for Grimes to top Visions right now so I'm glad she didn't attempt it and instead did something different, missteps and all.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

welcome to new yoooooooooooooooooork

sometimes I hate this city. I'm gonna hold out for Wednesday and then pay however much I have to (unless it goes above like $90 or something insane) to see CRJ because I like that album but gently caress

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

abraham linksys posted:

sometimes I hate this city. I'm gonna hold out for Wednesday and then pay however much I have to (unless it goes above like $90 or something insane) to see CRJ because I like that album but gently caress

I paid $100 for early entry and a meet and greet because those two other (free) meet and greets weren't enough for me this year, apparently.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Bankroll Biebz with another one

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

Thank you for this - I had no idea she was in Philly on Friday. Gotta get on that

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

How the hell is CRJ not doing a show in California. You have a song called LA Hallucinations, for crap's sake!

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

How the hell is CRJ not doing a show in California. You have a song called LA Hallucinations, for crap's sake!

She had a full-band album release show at the Troubadour back in August.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Joose Caboose posted:

Thank you for this - I had no idea she was in Philly on Friday. Gotta get on that

Indeed! I will potentially see you there, goon.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

The day after selling out Irving Plaza in NYC, Carly Rae Jepsen will be performing in the basement of a Macy's for free:

The tweet from which I found this flyer had a single retweet and three likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ok well apparently I'm going to this super secret incredibly hip show in a loving Macy's because those tickets are still $60+ on StubHub

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 10, 2015